Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: R-Type Final 2
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:57 pm 

aka Bydo Saga Cosmos

Currently unsure as to whether it's more or less silly than the original.
Please do not switch ships midgame. Again, let's stick to the starter ships for now. We no longer have an overt need for the Cross The Rubicon tables... yet. Dealing with DLC is going to be a headache.

There are somehow more difficulties in this game. For now, I'm sticking with Normal, R-Typer, and R-Typer 3. Those choices provide pretty good gaps in design: Normal is your default, R-Type is the hardest "standard" difficulty, and R-Typer 3 is the hardest thing available.
----------
Post scores in this format:
Code:
DIFFICULTY - SHIP - ROUTE
NAME - SCORE - STAGE - MISSILE and BIT - DETAILS

ROUTE is for the three final pairs of stage 6 and 7. You select these in stage 5 with the crystals. I'm not sure what that fourth crystal does... yet.

Just use the letters for MISSILE and BIT, which you can see on the Hanger screen.

DETAILS is for which console or emulator, which region release, etc.

It's all silly and complicated, so here's an example:
Code:
Normal - R-9A - Route 0
Despatche - 1,234,567 - ALL - H-R - PC (Steam)

Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-9D Shooting Star
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-9F Andromalius
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-Typer difficulty
R-9A Arrow-Head
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-9D Shooting Star
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-9F Andromalius
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

R-Typer 3 difficulty
R-9A Arrow-Head
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-9D Shooting Star
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

Route 2
Code:

R-9F Andromalius
Route 0
Code:

Route 1
Code:

"Despatche hasn't updated in a while! What do I do?" Consider: 1 2

Last edited by Despatche on Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: R-Type Final 2
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:15 pm 

Why not just have a separate entry for ships on the same line, and essentially just have difficulty-unified leaderboards? Maybe split for route if necessary. I wonder if separating the boards this much is going to make it too much of a headache for you to update 4 dozen different entries if it comes to that.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:47 pm 

R-Type Final (2) doesn't have a very good definition of what makes up a "line". The three starter ships also work really well as a set of playable ships in a shmup. What I really should do is take Icarus's comment that R-Typer 3 is the only really great difficulty seriously. The problem is that you have to unlock it.

The real problem is that having a billion characters and difficulties and branching paths and whatever else is not really a good thing, even if it's what people claim they want. The real problem is that Final (2) doesn't really work well as a game you keep scores for, even if people claim they want to compare.]

Hopefully basically noone will play the game, like with every other game, and I won't really have to worry about anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm 

Most people going for top scores or even playing r-typer 3 casually will probably be switching ships between stages, so having a 'multiple ships' category would make sense imo and be the most populated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 pm 

That is a shame and I really hate that the game allows that. It's just as much of a shame in the first game too. It completely defeats the purpose of having multiple ships when you can just pick the "good" ones and ignore the rest (i.e. the problem with having merged tables for any game), and it requires stupid arbitrary bans on specific ships.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:30 pm 

I don't know, there is more to learn in a run if you have to master multiple ships with different mechanics. Isn't that the opposite of ignoring ships? To me that's been more interesting than only piloting one ship (eg. a basic one with high firepowr). The 'good' ships you mention are probably more for cheesing a clear of the stages, not for score posting purposes. So not sure what you mean there. Different ships might be optimal for score in different stages, adding more complexity. Clearly the R-13 series is good for scoring in general but more difficult to use for clearing or getting 100% shot down than others..

What has been your own experience playing the game, you dislike using the mechanic playing through r-typer casually too? Or you enjoy different ships in different stages? The stupid ships will probably be the ultimate fighters which allow you to select any weapon / equipment combination. These are not in the game yet. Ironically the ship balance / variety might be at its best now in this early version.

Spoiler: show
R-TYPER 3 - MULTIPLE - 2
Zaarock - 1,411,183 - ALL - * - version 1.04, PS4(pro)

Basic no-miss run, only the first couple stages go for score properly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M09JrEoylQ

Can you find a single player doing runs of r-typer 3 with base ships, doesn't switch, and also goes for score? I don't think the stage 5 boss is even beatable with base ships. Maybe Andromalus, just barely. But you'd need a very special reason to be doing that to begin with as it's barely beatable with the upgraded version of Andromalus (Albatross, Eclipse). Since they rely on force attack a single death means your power is dead.

The common ship if locked to a single choice in r-typer 3 is Leo 2 which is extremely strong. A credit locked to that ship would be more simple/boring than a scoring run using different ships to match each stage, taking more risks where they can and only using cheesy ships when necessary (eg. stage 5 boss) rather than all the time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:25 am 

Haven't got it yet... But my guess would be that every stage is beatable with every ship (harder or easier, but beatable). Otherwise the game needs to be rebalanced.

Offline Profile