shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Batsugun thread? Batsugun thread.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:36 pm 

St4rwalker wrote:
I really have fallen in love with this game its just the pcb is so freakin rare and expensive...

only found 1 source and with customs i would pay like 1800 US$ :|

Is this game really that much worth nowadays?

It depends on if its worth it to you. Nobody else can dictate that. the money involved and how much enjoyment are you going to get out of it. For instance, my dream car is a 911 Porsche. Specifically a 996. Its a lot of money and right now, I don't want to spend that kind of money. Is it worth it if I have the extra money. YES it is. Will I make myself broke to have it? No way. Do you feel you will get your money's worth ? Is the $1800 going to make a difference to you? Im going the cheaper way and waiting for a M2 port to come. Got my PS4 stick, so that's good enough for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:49 pm 

I believe he was asking if that is in line with the market price, not whether its objective value is that high. Batsugun is in fact priceless, etc.

St4rwalker: We have a thread for that kind of question where you will likely get a better answer.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36768

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:16 pm 

CStarFlare wrote:
I believe he was asking if that is in line with the market price, not whether its objective value is that high. Batsugun is in fact priceless, etc.

St4rwalker: We have a thread for that kind of question where you will likely get a better answer.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36768

Yes market price interests me thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:28 pm 

Despatche wrote:
Worst Toaplan game, worst Ikeda game. Nothing about its design makes any sense. Grind Stormer is far better in nearly every way, Donpachi is far better in nearly every way, etc.

I agree it's slightly overrated, but it was probably my favorite traditional vert on Saturn (back when I had one and a tate setup), and I can think of much worse Toaplan shmups. Namely, Hellfire. I do not like Hellfire at all.

V-V and Donpachi are better, I concur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:38 pm 

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Despatche wrote:
Worst Toaplan game, worst Ikeda game. Nothing about its design makes any sense. Grind Stormer is far better in nearly every way, Donpachi is far better in nearly every way, etc.

I agree it's slightly overrated, but it was probably my favorite traditional vert on Saturn (back when I had one and a tate setup), and I can think of much worse Toaplan shmups. Namely, Hellfire. I do not like Hellfire at all.

V-V and Donpachi are better, I concur.

Having that hunch too (V-V is undoubtedly better; can't accurately comment about Donpachi), although not having played Batsugun recently, I can't quite put my finger on what it is... what about its design are you finding dull @Despatche?

Granted, though, I hope I'm not going out on a limb by maintaining the notion that even the worst Toaplan shmup still features some above-average qualities. 8)

I really like Hellfire, it's one of my evergreens on the MD, mainly due to the fancy directional shot system, which the stages in return are tweaked towards. For being their first hori, and the trouble they've said they had with it, I'm always amazed about how competent it turned out to be. Zero Wing, while it has a slightly better audiovisual presentation, would be my contender for the worst Toaplan shmup, however. There's so much emptiness. The homing shot does too much work for you. The fourth stage "AQUESE" is almost completely superfluous. :?

Realizing I went off on a tangent, archly finishing the post now :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:33 am 

Might have to give Grind Stormer another try then, I remember bouncing off of that hard when it was included on the PS2/Xbox comps, though I can't specifically remember why.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:25 pm 

^ you're probably thinking of Taito's Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer, which was on PS2 & Xbox compilations. Grind Stormer has only ever gotten a necessarily compromised MD conversion, to date.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 pm 

Despatche wrote:

Thread ruined.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:36 pm 

You should not buy that for 1800.
Are you crazy buying that ?
It might break.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:32 pm 

^ Avatar checks out.

Last summer this went in a cab at a shmupmeet I attended. You know you're at a shmupmeet when three people in a row sit down and get to loop 2 or 3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:24 am 

I've made a conscious effort to play and clear more shmups this year, with a goal of hopefully being able to participate in the 'All Time'pPoll next year. Using the famous STG difficulty ranking (link in my sig), I decided to begin with Batsugun Special Version and started playing last night (Type B).

Had a lot of fun. The game has a lenient difficulty curve and the first couple of stages are easy. The stage 2 boss (Madzella - interesting name!) is the first real roadblock, but I can no miss her now more than not (usually using 1 bomb when her second phase flies to the bottom of the screen).

Stage 3 requires more alertness but again not too bad. The stage 3 boss (Mad Steel Darkness - another cool game!) requires practice but not overly difficult. There is some slow down here in the emulation (when the circular spinning things on the side shoot candy blue bullets that can be destroyed by your shot), and I'm wondering if this is the same in the original?

Didn't spend a lot of time with Stage 4, but it again seems very doable.

Haven't read the strategy guide as yet, but I will surely do so (found here --> viewtopic.php?t=142).
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:07 am 

BurlyHeart wrote:
There is some slow down here in the emulation (when the circular spinning things on the side shoot candy blue bullets that can be destroyed by your shot), and I'm wondering if this is the same in the original?

Usually with these older 68k-based PCBs, MAME is pretty accurate as far as that goes.

IIRC the Saturn port had no slowdown at all (or very little).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:10 am 

Got the 1ALL on the Special Version. I could no miss every section in save state practice, but was always doing something stupid in full runs, even in my Round 1 clear. Had zero lives left entering the last stage, but managed to squeak it out. Stage 4 definitely seems the hardest, as does its boss, but of course it just takes a bit of practice and learning where to be.

I can see why the Special Version is recommended to beginners. It's a fun game, and while I did find Beltiana's screen-covering shot hard on my ever-aging eyes, the game does something not many skill-based games do - it caters to all levels. People like me can be happy with their 1ALL.While a counter stop 4ALL is available for those at the other end of the skill spectrum.

Have no chance getting a 4ALL, but I might try tidy up Round 1 and get a better score, including learning to milk Jupiter.

OmegaFlareX wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:
There is some slow down here in the emulation (when the circular spinning things on the side shoot candy blue bullets that can be destroyed by your shot), and I'm wondering if this is the same in the original?

Usually with these older 68k-based PCBs, MAME is pretty accurate as far as that goes.

IIRC the Saturn port had no slowdown at all (or very little).

It's actually less noticeable to me now, possibly because I've improved and am killing the boss quicker.
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 am 

BurlyHeart wrote:
Got the 1ALL on the Special Version.

Good job.
Why not try original Batsugun? It's much easier on the eyes, more classic gameplay. And should be more satisfying to clear for a beginner than 1loop of Special.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm 

If i play this game i also play thunderforceV, lets wait some more.

2020 : batsugun.
2021 thunderforceV please
2022 mars matrix at least.

Hurry M2 i pay 80 each no problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:50 am 

Lags wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:
Got the 1ALL on the Special Version.

Good job.
Why not try original Batsugun? It's much easier on the eyes, more classic gameplay. And should be more satisfying to clear for a beginner than 1loop of Special.

Thanks. It's definitely on my list.
To Far Away Times

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:20 pm 

No news on a release date for this year ?
Cant wait for this game.

Good thing PS5 will be backward compatible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:25 am 

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/batsugun/

I had no idea there was a Batsugun manga. Has it ever been translated?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:40 pm 

Despatche wrote:
Worst Toaplan game

Is your brain repressing memories of Tiger-Heli?

Offline Profile