tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Creamy Goodness

Re: tatsujin/truxton appreciation thread.

Post by Creamy Goodness »

Flobeamer1922 wrote:
Myketosis wrote:I'm curious about the version differences between Truxton (Gen) and Tatsujin(MD). Always hated how Genesis owners sort of got reduced content with localized games..(looking at TFIV...) I have a copy of Truxton and it sucks that it could be an inferior version.
Both are contained in the same ROM, but MD Tatsujin's difficulty settings are all harder than the ones in Genesis Truxton. You can think of it like six different difficulty settings, with Genesis Truxton easy being the easiest, and MD Tatsujin hard being the hardest.
Do you know if this is the same for Same!3? I like to play games on the normal difficulty, but gravitate to the easier normal :D
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

Flobeamer1922 wrote:Both are contained in the same ROM, but MD Tatsujin's difficulty settings are all harder than the ones in Genesis Truxton. You can think of it like six different difficulty settings, with Genesis Truxton easy being the easiest, and MD Tatsujin hard being the hardest.
How would I go about in accessing these possibly "hidden" difficulty settings in GEN Truxton if is technically still there? And is it possible to do this using an actual cartridge with a NA system?
Last edited by Mykaizer on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote: Uh...don't forget to play Out Zone. It has the truxujin ship so don't hesitate lmao
I was actually gonna go for an Out Zone 1CC but then I accidentally hooked up Tatsujin and couldn't stop playing.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:At first, I was firmly against people who judge based on factors like you listed. I still don't like it.
It's one of those things where if a few of those factors are present, it might be unreasonable to call it out. But if all of them are, the video represents a very unlikely feat. If the individual has a number of videos like that, it stretches credulity beyond any reasonable benefit of doubt.
But as I realized just how damn easy it is to prove your vaildity, even getting to the point where your run is being judged becomes a ridiculous notion. PC can't handle streaming? Just borrow a camera. As long as the screen is visible i don't think they'll care about quality. Again, shit's hilarious.
Which you'd think they'd want to do, because these videos are Michael-Jordan-of-video-games tier accomplishments. They should have a Red Bull sponsorship or something.
Uh...don't forget to play Out Zone. It has the truxujin ship so don't hesitate lmao
And Game Tengoku Cruisinmix has Tatsujin dlc!

Angry Hina

Post by Angry Hina »

Because I play Zero Wing at the moment, I've searched for 1cc vids to learn from. Found one by the mentioned Pauls Eales. Wasn't sure about if I heard his name from this board because he is one of the best around here and can pull some of the movements out but you surly cannot learn something from gis 1cc hard mode run (especially on the last boss and the level 7 one (which is much easier if you don't fly around his projectiles like a maniac (would like to see a little gif of these moments as well :D ))). I hate, that you have to waste your time on such vids because nobody mentions their toll assistance usage :/
MJR

Post by MJR »

PerishedFraud ឵឵ wrote:
Uh...don't forget to play Out Zone. It has the truxujin ship so don't hesitate lmao
Inspired by shmupjunkie's video review, I tried the Out Zone for the first time on Mame. And Oh mai gawd did I fall in love with it, HARD. Combined with my brand new hori arcade joystick, the experience was pure bliss. I don't remember falling this hard for a game in a long, long time.

I'm now deeply tempted to get the PCB as well, sadly it seems to go in rather crazy prices, €600 for a board? No thank you. Anyone who can hint me towards a place where I could get it for a reasonable price will have my deepest gratitude.
UD2

Post by UD2 »

MJR wrote: I'm now deeply tempted to get the PCB as well, sadly it seems to go in rather crazy prices, €600 for a board? No thank you. Anyone who can hint me towards a place where I could get it for a reasonable price will have my deepest gratitude.
I know prices are going crazy but that still seems pretty high. I was able to get it for ~$300 US about 1.5 years ago (standard romset, not the Zero Wing conversion that's apparently harder). I got mine via a post on forums.arcade-museum.com though, I think eBay and the like tend to run high. It may have also helped that I bought it with another game, but $600 still seems too high...
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not sure why you'd think €600 is the same as $600.
I've seen one for sale for €350 on this forum very recently, but I think it was the Zero Wing conversion too.

The non-conversion is more expensive but might still be available: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69438
UD2

Post by UD2 »

Sumez wrote:Not sure why you'd think €600 is the same as $600.
Because I'm an idiot who can't type.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Sumez wrote:Not sure why you'd think €600 is the same as $600.
I've seen one for sale for €350 on this forum very recently, but I think it was the Zero Wing conversion too.

The non-conversion is more expensive but might still be available: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69438
Thanks, I actually did notice it, but it had 'SOLD OUT' written under the list.

Send the guy pm just in case.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

UD2 wrote: I know prices are going crazy but that still seems pretty high. I was able to get it for ~$300 US about 1.5 years ago
So right before prices went crazy.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
UD2 wrote: I know prices are going crazy but that still seems pretty high. I was able to get it for ~$300 US about 1.5 years ago
So right before prices went crazy.
300 would be like the upper pain threshold limit for me when it comes to PCB's, and only when it's something I really want, like Out Zone. I guess I was lucky that I did all my PCB collecting between 2003-2017; almost all of my arcade PCB's cost me 70-140€ and never more, including Tatsujin / Truxton..
Flobeamer1922

Post by Flobeamer1922 »

Mykaizer wrote:
Flobeamer1922 wrote:Both are contained in the same ROM, but MD Tatsujin's difficulty settings are all harder than the ones in Genesis Truxton. You can think of it like six different difficulty settings, with Genesis Truxton easy being the easiest, and MD Tatsujin hard being the hardest.
How would I go about in accessing these possibly "hidden" difficulty settings in GEN Truxton if is technically still there? And is it possible to do this using an actual cartridge with a NA system?
I imagine you'd need some way of tricking the game into thinking it's running on a Japanese console, but I'm not sure how one would go about doing this. Maybe through a Game Genie?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

This page has some Japan region switch Game Genie codes for Fire Shark, Ghouls 'n Ghost, Truxton, and Twin Hawk. However, Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one of those rare games that doesn't need a device to change region, since it already has an in game code.

From gamefaqs:
Enter the Options menu. Choose ''26'' for the music and ''56'' for sound selections, then hold Down/Left + A + B + C + Start
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

What are the region differences in Ghouls n Ghosts on the MegaDrive?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:What are the region differences in Ghouls n Ghosts on the MegaDrive?
Off the top of my head, the title screen is different and there are less checkpoints, IIRC. Not sure about differences in enemy behavior. The arcade stick settings are labelled differently. JP version has "mega drive" and "arcade" and the US version has "diagonals ok" and "no diagonals". Funny thing is the US manual's screenshot shows the former but describes the latter.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

I think the US Genesis version is based on the US arcade revision. It has more frequent checkpoints and more forgiving chest drops (you get armor much more easily) while the JP version is based on the original JP arcade release.
Mykaizer

Post by Mykaizer »

I just want to play GEN Truxton as if it's on MD Tatsujins Normal default setting.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I'm still waiting on M2 to port Truxton II. They're busy fiddling around with the super oldies, though. :(
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Truxton will be the next one mate, no doubt about it. :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

They don't really seem to be going in chronological order, as they skipped Slap Fight. Did they actually say that Tatsujin is the next one anywhere?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

They said Tiger, Same, Tatsujin, and OutZone would be the first four, and they seem to be going chronologically through them.
Skipping Slap Fight is a little weird, but we'll see how they fit it in eventually.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Okay. In that case, maybe Slap Fight will show up with V-V once they finally get there in like 2026 or whenever.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sounds likely
Steven

Post by Steven »

V-V, 2026, or both? Lol unfortunately, I think it's probably both.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

16 shooters. 2 shooters per release. One release every 6 months. That's 4 years, so yeah it's not unlikely they'll still be doing these in 2026 :D It's also not unlikely that V-V and Batsugun will be the last two releases.
EDIT: My math is bad, the last release should be in 2025 :P

Though they also need to unload some of the less coveted games like Daisenpuu, Zero Wing, Hell Fire and Vimana, so maybe eventually we'll get more than two games at a time?
Steven

Post by Steven »

They are also doing all of the not-shooting games, as well, aside from Mahjong Sisters and Enma Daiou, and I think Snow Bros is probably their best-known not-shooting thing, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the 2 Snow Bros games got their own standalone release. They just announced that new Snow Bros game yesterday, too. Still, I imagine they will focus on the shooting games and make those the main things in the releases, since, honestly, the shooters are probably why most people care about Toaplan.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yeah I've been saying the same thing, expecting a stand-alone Snow Bros. release, considering it's probably their most popular game for the wider audience. But now these other guys apparently swooped in to steal their thunder, so there seems to be a bit of a conflict of interest there.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, I went to bed last night without checking any video game news, woke up this morning and was like "Oh, new Snow Bros, that's nice... WAIT WTF NEW SNOW BROS!?!?!?!". Definitely wasn't expecting that announcement. I'm not like a marketing expert dude or something like that, but it seems the new Snow Bros just has a general 2022 release date. I wonder if M2 might consider rearranging their schedule to get whatever collection(s) they put Snow Bros on out this year to make the most of the increased awareness due to this new release or if they legally aren't allowed to do that for whatever reason or... yeah, no idea lol.

Anyway, yeah, I'd totally not be surprised if M2 puts out Snow Bros 1+2 as its own release with some of the home versions. I tried Mega Drive Snow Bros for the first time today and... it's okay, I guess. Not typically my sort of thing, and it's definitely the one game that will prevent me from having a complete MD Toaplan collection. If I was forced to spend that much cash on a single MD game, it's going to be Eliminate Down, as they're both basically the same price. I actually see Eliminate Down in stores, though... never seen MD Snow Bros once. Used to see both MD V-V and Slap Fight MD a whole lot, too, but not recently.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Sumez wrote:Truxton will be the next one mate, no doubt about it. :)
I hope so. It's been a while since I've gotten a ShotTriggers release.