Translating Shooting Game Builder in English! [released!]

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: Translating Shooting Game Builder (STGBuilder) in Englis

Post by Shepardus »

You guys (both the maker of the original program and you people working on the fan translation) are doing great work. Hope this enables more people to create cool things!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I hope you get the chance to work with the SB guy. As it stands the previous version I downloaded I couldn't make sense of the side-tabs (they displayed in gibberish), but i haven't been able to give it close look. It's great the progress you're making though.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

EmperorIng wrote:I hope you get the chance to work with the SB guy. As it stands the previous version I downloaded I couldn't make sense of the side-tabs (they displayed in gibberish), but i haven't been able to give it close look. It's great the progress you're making though.
Well, i just gave him a full list of every string we've translated and nothing else, but i've let him give credit to me for using it.

However, today we haven't been able to start debugging around to replace the strings correctly. Seems like longbyte1 has got another busy week... we won't be probably getting it done within a week, probably more than a week...

Meanwhile i am waiting patiently to check out Pixel Game Maker MV, which is coming out around this summer and might be earlier than the next STGBuilder version. It's a interesting engine coming from the creators of RPG Maker (actually Kadokawa is taking place of ASCII and Enterbrain) and has also a unique programming interface that both uses workflow based programming for actual scripting while using JavaScript to add more functionality to it.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Short update: We've managed to find a tool that decompiles Delphi .exes. This leaves us with a bunch of .dfm and .pas files, but we doubt if these may be useful...
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Ignore the said post above, because i have some exciting news! A new fellow member of our Translation Squad, YPwn, has joined us thanks to his amazing custom DLL based skills into modifying .exes. Here's some teasers showing his capabilities of translation:

My prediction is that we're able to finish it within few days, however, testing may be needed. We are actually getting there so be hyped!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Now that's nice-looking progress. I'm excited!
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

As now i've found the Shmups Discord server, we went way near to the completion of the translation! Here are some interesting highlights (open spoiler):
Spoiler
Our objective is soon to be complete, so to recap, our 1st phase was done with collaboration of longbyte1 and several friends, while the 2nd phase is being done with me, beta testing the new strings and YPwn, who is changing the strings! I'm completely satisfied of this progress and i can't wait to release it soon to the public. We will be releasing v1.00 of the patch when it comes, but don't expect it to be pretty stable as there could be translation inaccuracies (as you know, our translation job is done by a group of people who used google translate and a japanese dictionary). Check out our Discord server: https://discord.gg/sBg3Ws7 for realtime updates, as i don't really have a great rhythm to keep the situation updated on this forum aswell.
DrBlowhole20

Re: Translating Shooting Game Builder in English! [almost do

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Final reminder before release: As we've translated pretty much almost every string but not exactly everything, we're proud to announce that a major patch beta release will be coming around this day! Stay tuned.
DrBlowhole20

Re: Translating Shooting Game Builder in English! [almost do

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

It finally is official, the patch is here!
CHECK OUT!!!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62706
Shepardus

Re: Translating Shooting Game Builder in English! [released!

Post by Shepardus »

Thank you for your hard work! Runs like a charm (from what I can tell, anyway, not knowing anything about the engine).

You might want to provide a link to the original STGBuilder website (http://blog.livedoor.jp/stgbuilder/) for people who can't be bothered to look for it themselves.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Shepardus wrote:Thank you for your hard work! Runs like a charm (from what I can tell, anyway, not knowing anything about the engine).

You might want to provide a link to the original STGBuilder website (http://blog.livedoor.jp/stgbuilder/) for people who can't be bothered to look for it themselves.
We've already did in our Discord server.

Anyways, while we seek for translation inaccuracies and .dll bugs around, i've set up for a 3rd phase of the translation project: Translating the documentation. This will be no longer used around with hacking the program inside, but this one is the most complicated of all. As we're only people who has minimum knowledge of Japanese and went on a pretty rough translation with Google Translate, it'll take more weeks to translate literally everything in our path.
This is just the beginning, and translating the documentation is gonna take a bunch of headaches in order to get it to have proper context. But first, i'll have to start writing a Beginner Tutorial word file, which explains the basics of using the program.

Wish us luck, i can't wait for you all to try out.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

Just telling, from now on, further discussion might be forwarded to the Development thread i've created for the patch. But if you join our Discord server, i'll be glad to get more people who are interested trying the software after a decade.
DrBlowhole20

Post by DrBlowhole20 »

It's been a month since we haven't spoke for any upcoming updates to this english patch. Apparently, it seems we have been keeping the project on hold, especially now that the official creator of STGBuilder (aka SB) has progressed in the upcoming version's english translation: https://twitter.com/StgBuilder/status/1 ... 4763936768
The official english translation is coming along very nicely and it is more accurately done than our translation patch, so it might be unlikely we're going to continue on it. We have still some months to wait, so once the next version of STGBuilder will be released, it is time to properly say goodbye to our English fanmade patch and move on to the new and fresh version with better translation provided from SB!