input lag sensitivity tester

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bananamatic

input lag sensitivity tester

Post by Bananamatic »

http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/pro ... 91029.html
just download it and run it and hope it works (first link on the page)
you pick 1 frame and X frames of lag and get 20 samples and you're supposed to pick the one with more delay
use a remapper for sticks/pads because mine didn't work

got 60% correct on 1 frame vs 2 frames (unable to tell considering 50% is random pick) and 100% correct on 1 frame vs 3 frames
let's see who's the bigger input delay snob
Plasmo

Re: input lag sensitivity tester

Post by Plasmo »

Off topic.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

made by a shmup dev and it involves shmup movement
on topic
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ok people listen only to Banana's disinformation campaing, trust him, and make sure to keep playing on outdated, hacky MAME builds or whichever that have more lag in any case, don't ever listen anyone telling you there's one actually a better choice.

Because it totally makes sense to choose to play with more lag than necessary.

Because it doesn't make sense to go against Banana's hubris.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Bananamatic wrote:got 60% correct on 1 frame vs 2 frames (unable to tell considering 50% is random pick) and 100% correct on 1 frame vs 3 frames
IIRC I got about the same when this was first posted (I think I got 90% on 1 frame vs. 3). Which was kind of surprising considering I had to stop and think hard for some of the 1 vs. 3 comparisons. One thing this can't test, though, is the natural delay of your setup - it can only test your sensitivity to extra delay on top of that induced by the application.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Xyga wrote:Ok people listen only to Banana's disinformation campaing, trust him, and make sure to keep playing on outdated, hacky MAME builds or whichever that have more lag in any case, don't ever listen anyone telling you there's one actually a better choice.

Because it totally makes sense to choose to play with more lag than necessary.

Because it doesn't make sense to go against Banana's hubris.
post your % champ
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You're an idiot. It's about getting lag closer to real hardware, not arguing about individual's ability to play with more or less lag.
And because of your inability to understand an actual proven technical reality, because of your usual tunnel vison and stubbornnes, you try over and over to convince people to play with in fact more lag on a outdated and hacked build that even breaks emulation accuracy.
moron.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

this is why we should all just play doujin PC games
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

PC always loses.

Great topic tbh.
I like chocolate milk

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Only someone like Xyga could compete with Bananamatic's recent bout of ignorance. I can't even read that gibberish about ShmupMAME with a straight face. Not only has one of the worst members of this forum bought into the MAME cult (I've been seeing it out of him these past few months), but he outright ignores MAME history just like the MAME cult always has done. You are literally lying about one of the oldest issues ever while even daring to say anything about anyone else's "hubris". Get this clown outta here already.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Plasmo wrote:PC always loses.
Is that including or not including all the modern-day arcade machines that are just PC components sealed into a closed ecosystem?
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Despatche wrote:Only someone like Xyga could compete with Bananamatic's recent bout of ignorance. I can't even read that gibberish about ShmupMAME with a straight face. Not only has one of the worst members of this forum bought into the MAME cult (I've been seeing it out of him these past few months), but he outright ignores MAME history just like the MAME cult always has done. You are literally lying about one of the oldest issues ever while even daring to say anything about anyone else's "hubris". Get this clown outta here already.
Hi forums clown #1! Kindly go train your orifices with the assistance of a horse in heat. Oh you're so confident you don't even state what you pretend knowing better than I, it's only your Nth time popping into a thread just for the pleasure of calling people idiots or problem members. Like all chidish idiots you call someone fanboy or cultist whatever just for defending a point against yours, which again you actually don't detail. But go on I'm all ears, I know you so I know I will have a good laugh.
You're up there with banana at the top of the greatest annoying dumbasses 'problem members' of this community.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Shepardus wrote:
Is that including or not including all the modern-day arcade machines that are just PC components sealed into a closed ecosystem?
I don't think it has any meaning whatsoever. It's just there to trigger Bananadude.
I like chocolate milk

donluca

Post by donluca »

Xyga wrote:You're up there with banana at the top of the greatest annoying dumbasses 'problem members' of this community.
Don't fall into the trap...

Everyone's free to do what they want with their free time.
Thanks to Internet, today the information is all out there and, thank god, sometimes even with tech/scientific evidence through rigorous testing.

If there are such things as "flat earth society", then surely having someone playing an old, hacked version of MAME won't do any more harm.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

It's not like people are submitting MAME (any MAME) scores to the JHA or whatever.

Funny how an actual MAME developer gets it. Even the developer of ShmupMAME just kinda gave up and let the cult have their way, it's dumb as hell.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

donluca wrote:
Xyga wrote:You're up there with banana at the top of the greatest annoying dumbasses 'problem members' of this community.
Don't fall into the trap...

Everyone's free to do what they want with their free time.
Thanks to Internet, today the information is all out there and, thank god, sometimes even with tech/scientific evidence through rigorous testing.

If there are such things as "flat earth society", then surely having someone playing an old, hacked version of MAME won't do any more harm.
I don't think disinformation is harmless, in this case bullshit MAME builds win in popularity over good ones thanks to idiots like them.
But hell yeah I like wasting my time with arrogant hypocrites who call people liars yet have nothing but empty statements and moving goalposts for themselves, hail the internet.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Great topic tbh.
rolling gunner is out in 1 month (pc exclusive)
donluca

Post by donluca »

Xyga wrote:I don't think disinformation is harmless, in this case bullshit MAME builds win in popularity over good ones thanks to idiots like them.
The bullshit MAME builds have great popularity because they have features people have been asking for ages, like autofire, and MAME devs stubbornly refuse to put in.

Thanks to Calamity and GroovyMAME we finally have integer scaling in baseline MAME which, in my opinion, is a huge win.

Another big step forward is finally having a nice UI in MAME where you can configure options, instead of blindly editing a text file.

I believe there are autofire patches already floating around, so it would be just a matter of compiling MAME with them.

Honestly, we could make with a little effort the "new" ShmupMAME by taking the GroovyMAME sourcecode and putting an autofire patch in it, if Calamity is ok with it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Oh but I totally agree with you, configurable autofire, savestates that work, lag reduction, convenient clear and flexible UI, anything that makes players more comfortable as long as it's not not breaking the base emulation accuracy; I'm all for it.

I criticize what I think is wrong with MAME (and in fine benefits bad builds) and at the same time fully support what I think is good (which is most of what it is, again my criticism mostly goes to useability/accessibility)

And if people prefer playing with more lag or broken emulation, sure, fine! But calling builds like GM that do things right and better 'snake oil' or pretending a worse build doing them wrong is fine and encouraging people to go for it instead, while calling me a liar? fuck that.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

who cares about minor graphical issues if you just want to play the game
I just want to play shmups, not jerk off to how accurate they are in ways you probably won't even notice if you're too busy focusing on gameplay

if they play the same then it's the same damn thing
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

that's what you think, fine, you don't give a crap about verified results, fine

it's you, that's your thing, good

why did you care to hammer bullshit against GM and continue to encourage people to go for the hacky broken build then ?

why would you encourage people to ignore something that's real and they might want to know about ?

do you hate being shown you're wrong about something and while pretend it's not important keep hammering the disinformation and get more people to follow you as a form of validation ?
donluca

Post by donluca »

Xyga, dude... give it up, it's not worth it.

I've been a keyboard warrior for years and all I had for it was absolutely nothing, besides getting angry every time.

That's why we spend lots of time on forums and discussing things such as MAME development: we care and we want the best experience out of it.

Then there are the guys who enjoy McDonalds and think it's world class food. Let them be, they're not doing any harm to anyone other than to themselves.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I know it's not a contest and there's nothing to win, but why should we always retreat and abandon the space to rancid idiots?

There's no rationality behind what they do other than making up any bullshit and semantics gymanstics because hey were just offended that they were wrong, shoving their flat earth and big macs down the throat of the community without rest.

Again I think they do harm, and I don't give a crap if people get things the wrong way and curse me instead, if they don't have enough brain time available to check who's really fucking with them I can't help with that.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Look at it this way:

people with a brain are able to use Google, search for what they're after and come to sensible conclusions.

People who don't give a flying fuck... won't give a damn any other way, so there's no point in arguing.

If someone asks which MAME build is better (lowest lag, better support, better accuracy) you just tell them GroovyMAME and point them to forum hosting the project.
If they want autofire I think I can build a custom one with the autofire patch as long as Calamity doesn't come and kill me for it.

Remember that thanks to GroovyMAME big steps have been made toward reducing audio lag as well. I believe that the optimizations are now in baseline as well and don't require ASIO, it should work with Kernel Streaming or WASAPI as well.

That's it. If someone still wants to suggest ShmupMAME, let them be.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

When's the part where Xyga/Bananna are shouting into eachothers faces and then one says "are you as turned on as I am" and then they make out
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

I've no objections against autofire on a separate build, I just don't get why that's required... is it just to keep the button pressed all the time? isn't that lazy? Am I missing something?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Calamity wrote:I've no objections against autofire on a separate build, I just don't get why that's required... is it just to keep the button pressed all the time? isn't that lazy? Am I missing something?
Lazy? You're sitting on your ass playing video games!

No auto fire = poor game design. It's busy work.

And, what's the point or benefit of hammering a button non stop? Why wear out my microswitches? My controllers get enough wear, thank you very much.

Also, who is the dumbass that designed this awesome spaceship and didn't think to add an automatic fire option for this weapon that is *clearly* meant to be fired rapidly and never runs out of ammo? Does that make any sense? Am I really expected to fly this thing and constantly squeeze and release this trigger for hours?
We apologise for the inconvenience
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

I have no more questions, Your Honor.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

different people have different sensitivity to button mashing. I can play a game that requires steady tapping without noticing too much, but some people it drives insane.

Unless there's a charge attack or some reason not to be tapping all the time, there's no reason not to have an autofire button for convenience. I do think it's as close to bad design as you can get, for that reason.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Calamity wrote:I've no objections against autofire on a separate build, I just don't get why that's required... is it just to keep the button pressed all the time? isn't that lazy? Am I missing something?
During longer sessions especially, some people find that repeatedly mashing one button can cause or aggravate muscle strain, especially if they already have issues with RSI. When manually tapping fire has literally no gameplay purpose, either, it's a very helpful convenience and accessibility feature.

Games where mashing does have a gameplay purpose or where autofire disrupts the game balance in some way (Darius Gaiden) are a separate issue, and my solution is usually just to not play those games.