Getting Back Into Shmups - Mame Version?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mycophobia

Re: Getting Back Into Shmups - Mame Version?

Post by mycophobia »

Xyga wrote:lol wrong thread, go here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15524&hilit=drunk :wink:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

what's your deal
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Xyga wrote:Mostly what happens is that sprites that are supposed to be standing on the background are no longer sticking to it, enemies, explosion impacts, items, buildings/structures etc, detach and shake when you move the ship sideways as the screen follows.
Half of the games on the list I have either 1CC'd or played regularly in Shmupmame, and literally never seen what you're describing. And yes, I've played those on other MAME builds as well as on the PCB versions. Espgaluda for instance, I've played the PCB as well as Shmupmame, and Shmupmame is surprisingly accurate, aside from the green graphical glitching during big cancels not being emulated. And this sounds like something that'd be pretty damn noticeable.

edit: Seriously, I'm going through your list and flailing left and right in the games and not seeing anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I'm seeing is the normal slight jerkiness from vsync being disabled, but the game looks 100% fine and no obvious glitches.

Basically, the problem sounds like it's on your end, not Shmupmame's specifically.

You are using the latest Shmupmame, right? You do have vsync/triple buffering/wait for monitor refresh disabled, right? They should all be disabled by default, but if you went and changed the settings...
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Xyga wrote:what's your deal

i like to play dodonpatachi on my mame but sometimes my kitty gets in the wa y and i mess up >_<
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Xyga wrote:Mostly what happens is that sprites that are supposed to be standing on the background are no longer sticking to it, enemies, explosion impacts, items, buildings/structures etc, detach and shake when you move the ship sideways as the screen follows.
Half of the games on the list I have either 1CC'd or played regularly in Shmupmame, and literally never seen what you're describing. And yes, I've played those on other MAME builds as well as on the PCB versions. Espgaluda for instance, I've played the PCB as well as Shmupmame, and Shmupmame is surprisingly accurate, aside from the green graphical glitching during big cancels not being emulated. And this sounds like something that'd be pretty damn noticeable.

edit: Seriously, I'm going through your list and flailing left and right in the games and not seeing anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I'm seeing is the normal slight jerkiness from vsync being disabled, but the game looks 100% fine and no obvious glitches.

Basically, the problem sounds like it's on your end, not Shmupmame's specifically.

You are using the latest Shmupmame, right? You do have vsync/triple buffering/wait for monitor refresh disabled, right? They should all be disabled by default, but if you went and changed the settings...
It's not 'my' problem, you guys just can't see.
Yes I'm using the latest but the same issue exists with the older builds.
With vsync it's very apparent, without vsync a bit less so 'thanks' to the tearing because a part of the screen is closer to the time if those sprites, while the desync is still as strong on the other portion.
It's a mess whether you change the sync settings or don't unse any, you can only choose what type of mess.
No emulator is 'designed' to run normally without a form of synchronization on displays that can't compensate by themselves or just don't require it.
You guys made that legend that 'its the right way' up, but whatever you say the facts are here, not my problem if you either can't see a thing or were too 'eyewashed' by playing games wrongly displayed for years, or maybe it's brain damage idk. I too have played using all types of sources and platforms like forever, pcb, consoles, emus on all types of setups, and because of that I can tell without effort when something wrong so obvious is going on.
A better solution is available, it can reduce the lag just as much (more actually for those who have strong pc's, but as much even with an everage) without sprites twerking in the backgroud like an unfinished model that lacks glue, nor fucking tearing, and it's considerably more up-to-date with years of additional code, games and features from mamedev.
I know GM is puzzling, austere and cruelly lacks conveniences, but not to the point of enduring the wreck of a build that shmupmame is emulation-wise.
Shmupmame was cool a long time ago, but apparently it generated a cult following that made people irrationally ignore reality and progress in development for all that time and they have become sort of bigoted defending it. This scenario reminds me of the droves of lemmings who bought the same 'evo' monitor for like a decade while its was completely obsolated in every way like a year after it was 'revealed' to the plebs lol, basically a myth. Marketing is a powerful force.
Yes obviously the problem is belief here, the idea that the build they've glorified all those years does things wrong and is now obsolete even for its original purpose is too much for them to take.
I certainly can't help with that though, arguing with people who don't want to know to begin is useless, as I said it's mamedev's and contributor's job to make their work understood, known and appreciated by enough users so the majority won't turn their backs at them and go for shmupmame's and retroarche's or whatever.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Xyga, this whole discussion will be put to an end once someone puts out nice pack with GroovyMAME already configured nice and ready to go, just like ShmupMAME is, and with the autofire patch applied.

It's not like it has to be kept updated everytime a new MAME is released, it will just be like the last release of ShmupMAME.

And now it's a good time thanks to the improvements to the performance of the CV1K driver, I don't really see much other improvements being done in a short time frame.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sure it will! at least for those who can use some sense and understand the benefits.

For the others, well *shrug* ^^
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Xyga wrote:This scenario reminds me of the droves of lemmings who bought the same 'evo' monitor for like a decade while its was completely obsolated in every way like a year after it was 'revealed' to the plebs lol, basically a myth.
what's wrong with the evo monitor
considering how many monitors are out there and how few of them were tested, it's a safe bet to buy one that was actually confirmed to be low lag
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Xyga wrote:It's not 'my' problem, you guys just can't see.
Except you're basically the only person complaining that it's happening, how awful it is, etc, so the evidence suggests either a) it's something that's happening specifically on your computer in Shmupmame, or b) you're seeing something that isn't there or is really, really trivial. I'm struggling to find any complaints of this in the main Shmupmame thread so if the issue is present on certain monitors or GPUs it can't be widespread.

But you think I'm dishonest, might have brain damage, etc. So what does it matter what I think, right?

:roll:
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

the only one? the issue of desynced sprites is known and discussed over the shmupmame thread several times. it's what shmupmame does and the tradeof for lower lag and happens on every computer it's running on, it's unevitable.
and I've specifically explained the variations in importance, including with and without vsync, sometimes it's very light and doesn't get in the way, but in some games/hardwares it's a complete wreck. and the tradeof of turning vsync off to reduce the amplitude of the shaking doesn't eliminate it and adds tearing on top, which is going from one mess to a different one yet still a mess

you can have just as good lag reduction without those issues, and many more advantages, yet you refuse to acknowledge that

the problem is that you have such strong irrational faith in it that it must be blinding you, and you can't deal with anyone, anything that tells you of these facts, so yes you're hilariously as wrong and dishonest as banana

@banana: the so-called EVO monitors were absolutely nothing outstanding, neither in performance in lag and response, or features, yet some nerds over a fighting tourney gave a nod and the sheep followed for years clearing stocks of it despite being hilariously overpriced and superior monitors already available for about the same price (and even less later)
this isn't an isolated case, some assholes made millions with the bullshit '1ms response monitor!' over at amazon.
Hot air. Myths. Basically what lazy idiots who can't think and learn by themselves like the most.
Same kind of story with Shmupmame, and same kind of reactions when anyone tells them they've been had or in the wrong/obsolete; overkill pride kicks, they get mad and come up with every possible bullshit narrative to cover the hilarious facts. :lol:

EDIT: and you're wasting your time arguing with me who will continue to laugh at you anyway, while you should all be happy that there's a better alternative that improves on what you already had. be glad that the developers care and will do something for you, and you could help them later for instance in trying their work and if there are issues voice sound and constructive criticism, which will benefit literally everyone
but you being butthurt and whining is a more important matter, right?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I managed to find a handful of relevant posts in the Shmupmame thread discussing the "problem". Basically, sprites on the background move 1 frame delayed in some games (is this seriously that big of a deal to you? cause it sure sounds minor):

PROMETHEUS, who has a massive scoring ALL clear in Dodonpachi, doesn't notice or care about the minor graphical glitches when it comes to input speed accuracy.

BPzeBanshee, another very capable player, says he basically doesn't notice this phenomenon.

Bananamatic happens to have the highest score on the Dodonpachi score thread currently from the looks of it, and is a consistently high-level player.

Meanwhile, the two people who are telling us what a travesty it is to play without vsync are the Groovymame dev who needed an explanation of why autofire in shmups is an important and well-regarded thing, and you, the guy who literally has never posted anything in the Hi Scores section, and has exactly one Strategy section post. Maybe if you both focused on the gameplay more than the graphics you'd understand why the players who play seriously find the tearing a non-issue in regards to choosing an emulator to use?

The pro player opinions on this simply hold more weight here, and in conclusion, however amazing Groovymame is now or in the future, Shmupmame currently works just fine as a low lag emulator and there's no shame in using it. And because it's currently a build trusted and used by skilled players, that means that any insults you direct at Shmupmame or the people who use Shmupmame are unlikely to be taken too seriously.

When Groovymame introduces built in autofire, perhaps is less daunting to setup, and is more stable (multiple people have reported crashes here), then maybe you'd have more luck with your Groovymame proselytizing?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

the current evo monitor is alright, did it kill your dog or something
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So now it's about player's ability ? banana went that route already, you went from it's not real to it's too little to notice to it doesn't matter to the leet scorers.
Moving the goalposts over and over like banana does won't help you, and the 'pro players' as much as anyone else if they think a bit will realize they have a better option and adopt it.
I've already said that whatever, for whoever uses Shmupmame shitplayer or superplayer the unnecessary garbage on screen is still there.

Since the beginning I've been defending the point that GM is just as good at reducing lag but without the drawbacks of Shmupmame, a proven fact, and has several more advantages, and you still won't acknowledge any of this and running around in denial hitting wall after wall just like banana did, which is hilarious.
As for better autofire you heard it indeed it can be added to GM and we'll have a build with that soon.
And if they want more conveniences they can also discuss with Calamity and the other contributors, those with sense will realize it's their benefit to do so.

And really, really I don't give a fuck about hurting the feelings of players would they be Gods of Shmupping or casual nobodies like me, no matter who you are it's a matter of understanding what those emus do for real and their worth, not bullshit people about reality.
The ones unrelentlessly proselytizing to drive away people from the truth are you guys, and that's fucking out of this world laughable. :lol:
Oh and the two people ? guess you're speaking of donluca and me.
But you forgot Calamity who made a flooring demonstration of what we're defending, maybe you lack the guts to include him while you drag us through the mud?

@banana, I didn't refer to the current, did I?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

and has several more advantages
like crashing
Oh and the two people ? guess you're speaking of donluca [lol, no] and me. But you forgot Calamity who made a flooring demonstration of what we're defending, maybe you lack the guts to include him while you drag us through the mud?
ahem
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Crashing is no fatality, and learning how to fix is a thing, the problem is that groovy lacks good guides for the average people to get into it easily, we've already talked about it, but also that some people are extremely lazy, and won't even bother posting on BYOAC to ask for support.
Baseline MAME crashes too btw, there can be many, many reasons.

Seems you're beginning to go in circles repeating your weak and flaky arguments the one after the other, don't forget to recycle bana's as well. *yawn* boring.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:ahem
So you're making a point of that? calamity is not a shmupper, so what? do you know how many mame devs have no idea about many player's habits?
it's a huge thing tons of people from different horizons make and use, of course communication is not the best
but again, people can listen to requests, even developers, if you ask them that is, instead of forever staying in your cathedral holding to the only relic build you know like it's sacred
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

the big blue frontend developer posted the below to r/emulation a while back which should be what everyone is after, vanilla mame (0.192) with the d3d9ex backend enabled by default. check the description for the dropbox link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPFyxN9y-E
Kraq

Post by Kraq »

I've been wondering how GM and Shmupmame compare for a long time. They always felt the same to me, but it's great to have reliable numbers now.

Thanks again, Calamity, for your awesome work.

--

I don't think this discussion is going anywhere, and I don't believe it's about GM accessibility. I mean, really? I've never had it crash on me, the configuration is simple enough (plaintext config files), there is a LOT of information on the arcadecontrols forum (Calamity and others are hugely helpful and veeery patient), I don't get the problem. Whereas Shmupmame had those weird DEP issues, and unlike GM I've never managed to compile it on non-Windows platforms (which is on me, however, since there exists a Linux ShmupmameTGM build).

The issue here is that we have a hardcore scoring camp and a hardcore accuracy camp. We can't debate what's better, because there's no universal 'better'. Different people appreciate, or ignore, different aspects of those games. Also, people have different sensitivity - for input lag, graphical glitches, 192 kHz music, 720p videos on 1080p screens etc. You know what I mean.

Before GM, I always disabled vsync to reduce lag. Screen tearing sucks, yes, but I only notice it at the beginning of a stage (or a match, in fighters) - then stuff starts happening and it's no longer an issue.

I don't think anyone here will tell you that tearing is good - no one likes tearing - but to some people it's just not that important to get rid of it. And while people like Banana make their stances very clear, I think statements like
Xyga wrote:unless one is blind as fuck or playing on a minuscule display it's impossible to miss
Calamity wrote:You can see those explosions totally corrupted by tearing, it's so distracting and ugly that the only logical explanation that comes to my mind for someone willing to play that way is that he must be a person that really hates videogames.
are a bit much. I know you're fighting for a good cause here, but aren't you getting a bit emotional? You can't wrap your head around someone willing to play with tearing, perhaps that person can't wrap their head around you willing to play with more input lag (at least before GM).

To the scoring guys: understand that with GM, you don't have to avoid vsync anymore.
Accuracy guys: understand that people are suspicious regarding using vsync, for a good reason, and it will take time for GM to become popular. Merging patches to baseline can help a lot, and I know it's already happening.
Xyga wrote: if you have linux, a pi, a mac, you can just go cry
Just a little nitpick: you're wrong about Linux, it's capable of next-frame response as well. Just shows how great GM is :)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Kraq wrote:II don't think this discussion is going anywhere, and I don't believe it's about GM accessibility. I mean, really? I've never had it crash on me, the configuration is simple enough (plaintext config files), there is a LOT of information on the arcadecontrols forum (Calamity and others are hugely helpful and veeery patient), I don't get the problem. Whereas Shmupmame had those weird DEP issues, and unlike GM I've never managed to compile it on non-Windows platforms (which is on me, however, since there exists a Linux ShmupmameTGM build).
For you maybe, but I remember looking around for the right video to write in the .ini as I was getting issues including not syncing at all anymore, to discover only in an isolated post that something had changed (don't write d3d9ex but d3d). Same when I had monitor compatibility issues it took me a while to find that 'lcd' was the right term and I found it by luck. the eisdummodi whatever the name site has some info missing for the lcd user pleb or buried in the middle of a ton that doesn't concern him.
several little crucial infos like that are easy to miss and need to be concentrated with the right build and tutorial at the same place so people can land on it.
I've even read people believeing they couldn't use GM at all even on just their pc+lcd because they didn't have a compatible AMD card for crt_emudriver.
For the newcomer not savvy enough it can be very confusing and puzzling, the place is also rather harsh to deal with when some people reply with already rather high-level of understanding stuff and terms, some people will give up because of that too.
Kraq wrote:The issue here is that we have a hardcore scoring camp and a hardcore accuracy camp. We can't debate what's better, because there's no universal 'better'. Different people appreciate, or ignore, different aspects of those games. Also, people have different sensitivity - for input lag, graphical glitches, 192 kHz music, 720p videos on 1080p screens etc. You know what I mean.
perfect emulation isn't required to play, but aside from that the facts ae the facts and not a matter of preference, and there's no good reason to disregard or even flat out reject and bullshit what's better.
Kraq wrote:Before GM, I always disabled vsync to reduce lag. Screen tearing sucks, yes, but I only notice it at the beginning of a stage (or a match, in fighters) - then stuff starts happening and it's no longer an issue.
I cannot unsee it, and combined with jerky sprites it's too much annoying stuff onscreen that I cannot unsee. if i can get rid of those annoyances without having to compromise on lag performance then i'm sold. no reason not to be.
Kraq wrote:I don't think anyone here will tell you that tearing is good - no one likes tearing - but to some people it's just not that important to get rid of it. And while people like Banana make their stances very clear, I think statements like
Xyga wrote:unless one is blind as fuck or playing on a minuscule display it's impossible to miss
Calamity wrote:You can see those explosions totally corrupted by tearing, it's so distracting and ugly that the only logical explanation that comes to my mind for someone willing to play that way is that he must be a person that really hates videogames.
are a bit much. I know you're fighting for a good cause here, but aren't you getting a bit emotional? You can't wrap your head around someone willing to play with tearing, perhaps that person can't wrap their head around you willing to play with more input lag (at least before GM).
you get it at the end, it's not emotional at all, for instance if there wasn't a solution like GM I would completely understand that people would rather deal with the tearing and other issues. but they don't have to anymore, simple as that, it's them getting very emotional over being told something they didn't know about like it's an insult while they actually should welcome the news. their focus on me is their mistake.
Kraq wrote:
Xyga wrote: if you have linux, a pi, a mac, you can just go cry
Just a little nitpick: you're wrong about Linux, it's capable of next-frame response as well. Just shows how great GM is :)
Oh nice! i assume this is recent development? very good news.
donluca

Post by donluca »

Tearing is one of those things that change from person to person.

If you're asking me, I really can't stand it, especially in shmups as I find them highly distracting, but if people come saying me tearing is ok to them then great, really.

Also, and I might be wrong on that and Calamity can correct me, I believe that MAME's frame limiter is quite imprecise when compared to V-sync, so there might be accuracy/timing improvements by using vsync, but, again, just like tearing, if people are ok with it then carry on.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, I'm really one of those "live and let live" guy, but I believe everyone would appreciate having the same low lag in ShmupMAME with GroovyMAME, eliminating visual artifacts and tearing (plus autofire and nice interface, of course).
Also, reduced audio lag is nice. It's one of those things you don't really notice it until you try it out.

We'll see what can be done about it.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

you guys are saints <3
donluca wrote:Also, and I might be wrong on that and Calamity can correct me, I believe that MAME's frame limiter is quite imprecise when compared to V-sync, so there might be accuracy/timing improvements by using vsync, but, again, just like tearing, if people are ok with it then carry on.
It was my understanding that as long as we're playing on just a 60hz flat panel there are no miraculous solutions anyway, only more or less acceptable compromises.
tomwhite2004 wrote:the big blue frontend developer posted the below to r/emulation a while back which should be what everyone is after, vanilla mame (0.192) with the d3d9ex backend enabled by default. check the description for the dropbox link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USPFyxN9y-E
Interesting, it doesn't have frame_delay so the lag reduction can't go as far as GM's but simply having d3d9ex it's by default 2 frames faster than basline MAME then (from what I've gathered about d3d9ex)
Some people might be happy just with that.
ilitirit

Post by ilitirit »

I use both Groovymame and Shmupmame (my own build with "quick input" configuration). I don't mind screen tearing for most games. I use GM (D3D9ex) when I play on my CRT, and SM when I use my LCD. Honestly, even if there is a slight difference in latency I don't notice it.

I've never tried it, but I believe you can enable autofire in recent Mame versions (including GM) using Lua plugins. I'm not sure if this has any effect on latency.

But besides all that, out of curiosity what do people find hard about configuring Groovymame?

EDIT: I should also mention that for games that it supports, I now use RetroArch + Input Lag Reduction.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/input-lag ... /15075/185
pmp

Post by pmp »

ilitirit wrote:But besides all that, out of curiosity what do people find hard about configuring Groovymame?
Getting it to not crash. It usually crashes within an hour, often sooner if I try and use save states. I've never had this problem with any other mame I tried.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Tons and tons of "Monolith". Seriously it's great and you guys need to play this.

Got several videos recorded, very pleased about Fraps' recording quality and ease of use. About the only thing I haven't done yet is S-ranked Hard Mode for the super secret ending, as well as beaten three of the modes on Sudden Death lethality.
disregard
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Tons and tons of "Monolith". Seriously it's great and you guys need to play this.

Got several videos recorded, very pleased about Fraps' recording quality and ease of use. About the only thing I haven't done yet is S-ranked Hard Mode for the super secret ending, as well as beaten three of the modes on Sudden Death lethality.
I think you posted this in the wrong thread :p
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

apparently I did, oops
Calamity

Post by Calamity »

Shepardus wrote:
Despatche wrote:Newer versions of MAME are not really recommended unless you're playing a game that doesn't need custom buttons or autofire. There has not been an attempt to replace MAME Plus! for some frustrating reason.
I've got to find a better way to distribute this, but for now, here's the build I use which includes custom buttons and autofire (well, I'm still on 0.194 and usually only compile with the drivers I need, while I just recompiled this for 0.197). Just replace the MAME executable from a stock MAME installation with this (I didn't include all the other files the official packages include).

So to answer OP, use this build. ^
I'm trying this build and its diff. Is it normal that it breaks neogeo player 1 buttons?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Calamity wrote:
Shepardus wrote:
Despatche wrote:Newer versions of MAME are not really recommended unless you're playing a game that doesn't need custom buttons or autofire. There has not been an attempt to replace MAME Plus! for some frustrating reason.
I've got to find a better way to distribute this, but for now, here's the build I use which includes custom buttons and autofire (well, I'm still on 0.194 and usually only compile with the drivers I need, while I just recompiled this for 0.197). Just replace the MAME executable from a stock MAME installation with this (I didn't include all the other files the official packages include).

So to answer OP, use this build. ^
I'm trying this build and its diff. Is it normal that it breaks neogeo player 1 buttons?
Now that you mention it, I remember there being an issue with that. I don't know why but they get mapped funnily, so the player 1 buttons show up in the menus as player 2, or something like that (it's been a while since I tried).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
tnc

Post by tnc »

Hello. I was wondering why you guys aren't playing windowed when vsync is off. It prevents tearing in my case. Am I missing something?
SynthRicardo
Banned User

Post by SynthRicardo »

Edited.
Last edited by SynthRicardo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SynthRicardo
Banned User

Post by SynthRicardo »

Edited.
Last edited by SynthRicardo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.