XB360 Cave shooters backward compatible on XBO?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BAD

XB360 Cave shooters backward compatible on XBO?

Post by BAD »

Information on this was hard to find. It seems there are none, yet.

I tried these and no dice:

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
Shin Akai Katana

I have more but ran out of time to test them.

Can we keep this thread as a place to post if any become available?

No offense taken if this is deleted because there is a thread already devoted to it.
badcp.info
reckon luck

Re: XB360 Cave shooters backward compatible on XBO?

Post by reckon luck »

Here's everything currently on BC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... r_Xbox_One

Guwange is the only one available right now.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

I could be very wrong but from what I understand the games need to be available digitally in at least NA before they are even considered to BC. Once that happens the publisher needs to pitch it to MS. Could be waiting a while/never.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

DoomsDave wrote:I could be very wrong but from what I understand the games need to be available digitally in at least NA before they are even considered to BC. Once that happens the publisher needs to pitch it to MS. Could be waiting a while/never.
The Games on Demand versions of Akai Katana and Death Smiles have been delisted from the NA Xbox Live marketplace. Only Death Smiles 2 remains.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

Not a good sign then if what I'm understanding about how BC works is right.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The games don't need to be available digitally - discs work just fine - and publishers don't need to "pitch" anything. MS's stated goal is for everything to be available, but publishers have to approve their titles for release.

All that said, as time goes on I have less and less hope for these titles. There just doesn't seem to be any reason to believe they are in the pipeline. I would love to hear from someone with real insight into what might be going on behind the scenes.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Thanks, guys. Your input is appreciated. I can definitely see why some have lost hope. Some shmups are on there, but it's none of the Cave ones; it really seems like it's a licensing thing.

And it's too bad, since I'd love to stream Pink Sweets or ESPGaluda II from my XBox One. And, of course, the almighty Dodonpachi Saidaioujou!

Man, I love Cave. Can't say this enough!
badcp.info
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Kiken wrote:
DoomsDave wrote:I could be very wrong but from what I understand the games need to be available digitally in at least NA before they are even considered to BC. Once that happens the publisher needs to pitch it to MS. Could be waiting a while/never.
The Games on Demand versions of Akai Katana and Death Smiles have been delisted from the NA Xbox Live marketplace. Only Death Smiles 2 remains.
Shit, I suppose the delistings happened rather recent, since its been out a long while. However, only DS1 digital and its themes/gamerpics are delisted. Akai Katana (Shin) still remains available though.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

NeoStrayCat wrote:Shit, I suppose the delistings happened rather recent, since its been out a long while. However, only DS1 digital and its themes/gamerpics are delisted. Akai Katana (Shin) still remains available though.
Huh... when I checked a couple of days ago, AKS wasn't there. Oddities due to server maintenance, probably?
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Why would they delist any of their games? It's not like they had compatibility issues or expiring music licenses.
pmp

Post by pmp »

reckon luck wrote:Why would they delist any of their games? It's not like they had compatibility issues or expiring music licenses.
Aksys probably didn't have the publishing rights in perpetuity and didn't bother to renegotiate them after they expired. Other games get delisted after their publishers go out of business.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Kiken wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:Shit, I suppose the delistings happened rather recent, since its been out a long while. However, only DS1 digital and its themes/gamerpics are delisted. Akai Katana (Shin) still remains available though.
Huh... when I checked a couple of days ago, AKS wasn't there. Oddities due to server maintenance, probably?
Probably, but its still there to buy digitally.
pmp wrote:
reckon luck wrote:Why would they delist any of their games? It's not like they had compatibility issues or expiring music licenses.
Aksys probably didn't have the publishing rights in perpetuity and didn't bother to renegotiate them after they expired. Other games get delisted after their publishers go out of business.
Yeah, another example is that ARES game, that also got delisted. However, DeathSmiles in the PAL and JP/Asia regions digitally are still available, its the US digital release and add-ons that are delisted. Although a US physical copy is always out there.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

bigbadboaz wrote:The games don't need to be available digitally - discs work just fine - and publishers don't need to "pitch" anything. MS's stated goal is for everything to be available, but publishers have to approve their titles for release.

All that said, as time goes on I have less and less hope for these titles. There just doesn't seem to be any reason to believe they are in the pipeline. I would love to hear from someone with real insight into what might be going on behind the scenes.
Discs are only used for verification, the game still needs to be available digitally to work on Xbox One. 360 games never run off the disc, they don't even use the data on the disc, they download the digital version and use the disc as a key. The only games on the backwards compatibility list that are not available digitally are games like Dirt 3 that have had their licenses run out and been delisted after being added to backwards compatibility.

Games are emulated individually by Microsoft on a case by case basis, none of the technical process is done by the developer/publisher. Microsoft were asking the public to vote on games and Cave themselves tried to push for it hence the "pitch" comment. Microsoft are not going to spend their own time/money working on something they can't make any money off so that's why being available digitally is a requirement.
every game that becomes backward compatible is added into the Xbox One's digital store
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/01/xbox- ... fantastic/
GSK

Post by GSK »

MS' priority is with games that are available in all regions and games that are DL-only, which explains why Guwange of all releases is BC and not the others.

Cave could do what 5pd did with Bullet Soul and put them out on GoD now as a way of getting them on XB1 but there are a lot of complications in terms of publishing rights, the different people/studios behind specific ports, etc and beyond all of that, they don't really care all that much.
BAD

Post by BAD »

I love how complicated games have become.

Get ready to embrace the all-encompassing onslaught of digital distribution, gentleman. I can't wait; I love not actually owning or being able to actually hold the shit I buy...

(That was sarcasm.)
badcp.info
GSK

Post by GSK »

All the games people are talking about still work just fine on X360.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

DoomsDave wrote:Discs are only used for verification...
Aware of this. But your assertion that any game to be made BC has to be digitally available was not correct. They have made some games BC that were previously never on GoD. When they were announced as BC, they became available for digital purchase on the X1 with that week's marketplace update. Digital status is not an absolute indicator of any particular title's potential to eventually go BC.
GSK wrote:All the games people are talking about still work just fine on X360.
..And? Clearly those in this thread are interested in consolidating onto the X1.
GSK

Post by GSK »

bigbadboaz wrote:
GSK wrote:All the games people are talking about still work just fine on X360.
..And? Clearly those in this thread are interested in consolidating onto the X1.
The post directly above mine was complaining about ownership issues in relation to digital distribution, which is a somewhat separate issue.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Guwange's the only CAVE game enabled for backwards compatibility, and unless there's suddenly non-negligible demand for CAVE games on Xbox One I wouldn't expect any more than that.
BAD wrote:I love how complicated games have become.

Get ready to embrace the all-encompassing onslaught of digital distribution, gentleman. I can't wait; I love not actually owning or being able to actually hold the shit I buy...

(That was sarcasm.)
Your problem is with DRM, not digital distribution. People have been putting copy protection and other usage restrictions on discs, PCBs, etc. since the beginning of time. With DRM-free digital distribution, nothing's stopping you from burning it to a disc if you really want something to take up space in your living room or wherever you keep your games.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube