Is there a name for the subgenre of Defender/Fantasy Zone?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
4ppleseed

Is there a name for the subgenre of Defender/Fantasy Zone?

Post by 4ppleseed »

Hi all,
Is there a name for the subgenre of Defender/Fantasy Zone? One where you get to scroll left and right yourself?

Horizontal Scroller seems to me like something that auto scrolls to me.

Also, bonus question: what's your favourite of this type?

Thanks.
OmegaFlareX

Re: Is there a name for the subgenre of Defender/Fantasy Zon

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I would consider these "Multi-Directional Shooters", and would lump them in with others that scroll in 4 or 8 directions (like UPL's Ark Area) as well.
FRO

Post by FRO »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I would consider these "Multi-Directional Shooters", and would lump them in with others that scroll in 4 or 8 directions (like UPL's Ark Area) as well.
So would that encompass stuff like Time Pilot, or arena shooters like Shooter Sanvein as well?
4ppleseed

Post by 4ppleseed »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I would consider these "Multi-Directional Shooters", and would lump them in with others that scroll in 4 or 8 directions (like UPL's Ark Area) as well.
Yeah, I can see the similarities with Ark Area. I'd say Fantasy Zone 1/2 still feel pretty unique in their implementation and I'd love to find some others that play that way.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I normally just call them regular horizontals, but I've seen something like "torus horizontals" somewhere
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Defender-likes
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
FRO

Post by FRO »

Shepardus wrote:Defender-likes
I was thinking along those lines, since Defender originated that style, but it seems like the whole "<game title>-like" nomenclature has become a trope at this point. It's just not as descriptive or distinctive a moniker as it could be.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It's a fine term. But it pretty much means that a genre name hasn't been defined. People used to call all FPS games "doom clones" until it became clear that we'd eventually end up with more than a few of those.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

4ppleseed wrote:Also, bonus question: what's your favourite of this type?
I like Fantasy Zone the best but Resogun was pretty good too.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Kollision wrote:I normally just call them regular horizontals, but I've seen something like "torus horizontals" somewhere
Never knew what that was till a quick Google search, but this makes the most sense.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

FRO wrote:
I was thinking along those lines, since Defender originated that style, but it seems like the whole "<game title>-like" nomenclature has become a trope at this point. It's just not as descriptive or distinctive a moniker as it could be.
It's the best way to describe games. Just know how Defender plays and you know how the genre plays.

Little phrases as genre descriptors will never be accurate. Star Wars arcade and The House of the Dead aren't classified as first-person shooters, despite their entire gameplay consisting entirely of first-person shooting.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
FRO

Post by FRO »

Mortificator wrote:
FRO wrote:
It's the best way to describe games. Just know how Defender plays and you know how the genre plays.

Little phrases as genre descriptors will never be accurate. Star Wars arcade and The House of the Dead aren't classified as first-person shooters, despite their entire gameplay consisting entirely of first-person shooting.
I know what you mean. And stuff like SW Arcade and House of the Dead are games I would consider to be on-rail shooters, because you move through a level on a pre-determined path, regardless of the perspective, whether or not you have any range of motion within that context. But now we're getting into semantics :D
Special World

Post by Special World »

I also think Fantasy Zone is the best in this genre... it's just so chunky and quirky and perfect, and there really aren't many games like this. Probably why it doesn't have a name other than Defender-like.

Defender though is also a hell of a game if you go back and play it. There are a lot of older games that I'm like "well that's a bit shit" but Defender is like "holy fuuuuuuuu---" It's a game that I think will never stop being impressive. It's just brutal and immediate and fun.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I feel like I have seen quite a few (mostly indie western-developed) defender-likes over time, but the only one that I really ever played was Fantasy Zone II DX. That one is great though.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Special World wrote: Defender though is also a hell of a game if you go back and play it. There are a lot of older games that I'm like "well that's a bit shit" but Defender is like "holy fuuuuuuuu---" It's a game that I think will never stop being impressive. It's just brutal and immediate and fun.
I'm not a big fan of Defender, and the way it plays separates it from pretty much any other shmup, including Fantasy Zone, but I can totally see what you mean. The presentation is incredible, with perfect use of the minimalistic graphics and booming sound. There's not much else like it, for better or worse.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Sumez wrote:
Special World wrote: Defender though is also a hell of a game if you go back and play it. There are a lot of older games that I'm like "well that's a bit shit" but Defender is like "holy fuuuuuuuu---" It's a game that I think will never stop being impressive. It's just brutal and immediate and fun.
I'm not a big fan of Defender, and the way it plays separates it from pretty much any other shmup, including Fantasy Zone, but I can totally see what you mean. The presentation is incredible, with perfect use of the minimalistic graphics and booming sound. There's not much else like it, for better or worse.
I always appreciated how Chopper Command on the 2600 was similar to Defender, but still kinda did its own thing, as much as the limitations of the 2600 allowed for that, anyway.

EDIT: I'm watching the Classic Gaming Quarterly episode on the launch of the Master System, and Chris refers to Fantasy Zone as a "free scrolling" game. That seems like a pretty good descriptor to me.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

FRO wrote: EDIT: I'm watching the Classic Gaming Quarterly episode on the launch of the Master System, and Chris refers to Fantasy Zone as a "free scrolling" game. That seems like a pretty good descriptor to me.
Not a bad one, but I usually think of games like Time Pilot or the overhead levels of Thunder Force II as "free scrolling".
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

We should all decide here and now. torus-horis. That's it.
Roodwurm

Post by Roodwurm »

BrianC wrote:
FRO wrote: EDIT: I'm watching the Classic Gaming Quarterly episode on the launch of the Master System, and Chris refers to Fantasy Zone as a "free scrolling" game. That seems like a pretty good descriptor to me.
Not a bad one, but I usually think of games like Time Pilot or the overhead levels of Thunder Force II as "free scrolling".
Bosconian falls in this category as well.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'd say Time Pilot is a little unique because you never really scroll "anywhere", while something like Bosconian has a map. Time Pilot is less about where you are going, and more about your immediate vicinity. More like... Asteroids, I guess?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I vote "Donut Shooters", because the world loops left/right. Resogun is literally shaped this way.

Edit: I suppose torus would work as well, but I'm hungry so donut it is. :P
Last edited by Jeneki on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm pretty sure that was the idea of the aforementioned torus-hori... but I guess "donut shooter" is like the pedestrian version of that :P