Ninja Soldier (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KAI

Ninja Soldier (M2)

Post by KAI »

http://m2stg.com/en/mononoke/
Trailer

ImageImage
ImageImage

I'm still surprised the EXA arcadia team didn't make an announce today.
BrianC

Re: Ninja Soldier (M2)

Post by BrianC »

The dog is named Kuhga Vapor Trail! :)

edit: The movie like credits also mention another dog named Raiga. I wonder if that dog is a "Strato Fighter".
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Maybe the Fang trilogy could be the next titles on the Shoot Triggers series (!?)
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

"Team Varginha."

The Famitsu article is the only thing that makes me think it isn't an April Fool's joke.
CRP

Post by CRP »

BrianC wrote:The dog is named Kuhga Vapor Trail! :)

edit: The movie like credits also mention another dog named Raiga. I wonder if that dog is a "Strato Fighter".
I think when the dog divide himself the otherone is called Raiga :D

This really great. Right down my ally. Loving it all just the upl scoreing fonts makes me happy .
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Neat, assuming it's not a fakepost. Looks and sounds similar to Z80/PSG hardware games. Saw some things that were lifted from Star Force.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

Alright, so it's not April 1 anymore. Is this still a thing? Because it actually looks pretty cool.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

well, silicon era is claiming a 2018 arcade release date, but.... they don't mention where they get that date from
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/04/02/m2 ... apan-2018/

hopefully it will be a thing

pretty cool how its supposedly made using abandoned plans from 1988
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

I think it is a April fools joke. I hope I'm wrong. But the thing with the abandoned plans from 1988, according to M2's website they started August 8th, 1991.
But even if it is a joke, they could still do it :D
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an April Fool's joke.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

yeah I'm pretty sure I heard about this on Twitter before April 1st
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

It does seem way too well done (and also not particularly jocular) for an April Fool's joke.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Stevens wrote:Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an April Fool's joke.
Chacranajxy wrote:It does seem way too well done (and also not particularly jocular) for an April Fool's joke.
It's M2, they don't do half-assed. Knowing them, they'll release the full game with multiple modes and display options, but the credits will end with "Thanks playing this game, Happy April Fool's!"

Other Japanese gaming sites are reporting it now, so it does seem legit.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

NTSC-J wrote:
Stevens wrote:Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an April Fool's joke.
Chacranajxy wrote:It does seem way too well done (and also not particularly jocular) for an April Fool's joke.
It's M2, they don't do half-assed. Knowing them, they'll release the full game with multiple modes and display options, but the credits will end with "Thanks playing this game, Happy April Fool's!"

Yeah an M2 April Fool's joke would be better than most ports/games from other companies.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm an idiot - has M2 made their own games? I've known them mostly as superb port-jobbers.

Love the cutesy throwback style from the trailer.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

EmperorIng wrote:I'm an idiot - has M2 made their own games? I've known them mostly as superb port-jobbers.

They have, on occasion. The best-known ones would probably be the Rebirth series they did for Konami on the Wii (Castlevania, Contra, and Gradius Rebirth)
GSK

Post by GSK »

EmperorIng wrote:I'm an idiot - has M2 made their own games? I've known them mostly as superb port-jobbers.

Entirely original, self-published games? Not really, but they've made several more-or-less new games for other publishers: the Konami Rebirth games for WiiWare, the Twinbee Da remake included on the PSP collection, the System 16/3DS version of Fantasy Zone 2, etc, not to mention many other contract gigs for mobile, handhelds, etc.

Hiroshi Iuchi's been at M2 for several years and has been working on an original STG for most of that time, on and off, but it's hard to say if it'll ever go anywhere.
mycophobia wrote:yeah I'm pretty sure I heard about this on Twitter before April 1st
The announcement went live at 00:00 April 1 with advance briefing for several media outlets, which you can interpret however you like.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

brentsg wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:

Yeah an M2 April Fool's joke would be better than most ports/games from other companies.
Ain't that the truth? I think this might be real. Japanese companies take April Fools' kinda seriously it seems. Just look at what Arika pulled with Fighting EX Layer last year.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

GSK wrote:
mycophobia wrote:yeah I'm pretty sure I heard about this on Twitter before April 1st
The announcement went live at 00:00 April 1 with advance briefing for several media outlets, which you can interpret however you like.
timezones I reckon
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I adore the cutesie character/boss sprites and "fantasy zanac/star soldier" spartan background tiling. I really want to believe this is real, despite the unfortunate timing on the announcement. Thankfully, the recent reports on it by JP news sources seem to cement it as more then a joke.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Definitely getting a Hudson vibe from this.
I wish all the promo images wouldn't be comprised of 60% boob. Of course, that only serves to prove the game is real, I guess. That's how you sell stuff in Japan nowadays from what I'm told. By my PlayStation Vita.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

This is extremely cute.

Would just like to point out that Raiga has nothing to do with the Kuhga trilogy.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Pointman

Post by Pointman »

I don’t know, it might be suspect. How modern is the M2 logo? It appears in the top right hand corner of the supposed documents from 1988 in the trailer. In fact according to Wikipedia M2 were founded in 1993. I might be another case like Fighting EX Layer, a game that started as an April Fool but evolves into an actual game. I hope so, it looks funky, if a little too Star Soldier-esque.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Pointman wrote:I don’t know, it might be suspect. How modern is the M2 logo? It appears in the top right hand corner of the supposed documents from 1988 in the trailer. In fact according to Wikipedia M2 were founded in 1993.
I thought those were just watermarks added recently, but if you look at the first page of the documents, it says the name of the company, (有) エムツー, and as you said, they weren't around in 1988 (they were actually founded in 1991).

It makes me wonder if the idea that it was some long-lost game they unearthed was the joke, but they are in fact making the game, they just used that as a reason to do it in this style.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

NTSC-J wrote: It makes me wonder if the idea that it was some long-lost game they unearthed was the joke, but they are in fact making the game, they just used that as a reason to do it in this style.
Yes, I am thinking the same. The "long lost" may have been a joke as well, delivered with a wink and a nod, rather then something that was intended to be taken seriously.

My only concern at the moment is that I haven't seen any mention of what platform this is intended for?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Siliconera claims it's for arcades. If not for EXA Arcadia, I'd think that would be a huge giveaway.

Also, at the risk of reaching DEL levels of conspiracy theory, the date on the old document, January 4, 1988, may be another clue: 1/4 can also be read as 4/1, and '88 could refer to August 8, the day the company was founded.

And Kuhga Vapor Trail came out in 1989.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Squire Grooktook wrote:My only concern at the moment is that I haven't seen any mention of what platform this is intended for?
The trailer says at the end "on you arcade cabinet!"

If this is an April Fools' joke, it's a phenomenal amount of effort for one, but it's working - I really don't know what to think. The fact that it's already April 3, though, makes me lean towards it actually being real.
NTSC-J wrote:It's M2, they don't do half-assed. Knowing them, they'll release the full game with multiple modes and display options, but the credits will end with "Thanks playing this game, Happy April Fool's!"
I'm still waiting for Gmail to abruptly shut down one day with a message "Thank you for participating in April Fools' Day 2004 with us!"
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

NTSC-J wrote: 1/4 can also be read as 4/1
I'm almost certain USA is the only country in the world that uses that super weird backwards date format? 1/4 is most definitely the 1st of April.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Sumez wrote:
NTSC-J wrote: 1/4 can also be read as 4/1
I'm almost certain USA is the only country in the world that uses that super weird backwards date format? 1/4 is most definitely the 1st of April.
Along with using English units of measurement. :D That shit makes no sense.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.