Shmup Goals 2018 - Fruits and Beans

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Plasmo

Shmup Goals 2018 - Fruits and Beans

Post by Plasmo »

Shmup goals 2018 - Fruits and Beans Edition

Let me do this renowned thread this year!

Here are the links to the previous topics. Have you reached your goals? Failed hard? Tell us!

2013, 2014, 2015,
2016, 2017

You know the drill by now, kid!

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017: As the name suggests, post the stuff you're the most proud of here, whether you're an Easy mode survival player or a Lunatic scorerunner. Anything that stands out to you is what you want here, no matter how silly it may be!

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Did a Power-up carrier pick you off or ram into you and ruin the GOD RUN? Whatever comedies/tragedies pop up most clearly to mind go here! These don't have to be specific occurrences but can be generalities as well in your gaming endeavors.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017: Whether it's a long-time goal achieved by a close friend or a new WR set in one of your favourite games (or both at the same time!), you can post whatever stuff you enjoyed seeing other people do this year here!

(4) Goals for 2018: What do you have your eyes set on achieving next year? List all the clears, scores, and crazy challenges you want to achieve next year here. Be ambitious!

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: The fun one. Throw down the gauntlet and challenge someone else to something! This might be to beat one of your scores, or a race to a certain clear, or whatever you like. Remember to keep it a little friendly, but on the other hand, go totally nuts!

Alternatively if you want to be lazy then just post your goals for the year as usual.

Your mission starts now. Are you ready?
Last edited by Plasmo on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
copy-paster

Re: Shmup Goals 2018 - Fruits and Beans

Post by copy-paster »

Achievements:
- 2-ALLing PCE Salamander and few 1CCs.

Screw-Ups:
- Not going full shump last year.

Goals:
- 1CC Battle Garegga
- 1CC DDP games outside Donpachi
- 1CC any shump I have played
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Plasmo wrote:Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Did a Power-up carrier pick you off or ram into you and ruin the GOD RUN? Whatever comedies/tragedies pop up most clearly to mind go here! These don't have to be specific occurrences but can be generalities as well in your gaming endeavors.
Aiming for 1 million points in Parodius Da! and missing that by 200 points comes to mind:

So does almost clearing Gokujou Parodius (minus the special stage) but forgetting how to get past Chichibinta Rika (for those who don't know, this is the part right before the trivial final "boss"):
Haven't had the heart to play the game since.
Plasmo wrote:Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017: Whether it's a long-time goal achieved by a close friend or a new WR set in one of your favourite games (or both at the same time!), you can post whatever stuff you enjoyed seeing other people do this year here!
Perikles' 2-ALL of Battlantis deserves special mention. I also much enjoyed his clears of Gokujou Parodius and Sexy Parodius - I don't think I've seen any clears of the former on this forum before.
Fleako managed to get a 3-ALL of Gradius III.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017:
- Broke 6bil in Futari God Mode
- Randomly got the Night Raid community score at a shmupmeet despite never having played the game before lol. I'm sure that my score could easily be beaten though but good times were had

Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017:
- Too much stuff in RL that greatly affected my progress in Futari God Mode...

Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017:
- Plasmo's DP Type C WR (!!!) and of course Armchair's amazing 60mil Type B score! You guys have been a great source of inspiration and I'm sure it's not just for me but for the community as a whole.
- Eaglet's continued greg domination!
- SMC's 4bil Futari BL Original score with Palm. Truly fantastic score!
- STG's, Bananamatic's etc. shmup live runs for the 1CC marathon. Really good stuff!
- SPE's DS WRs!
- Keres' DSMBL score with Follett
- Huge shoutouts to jonny5 and BareKnuckleRoo for hosting so many meets! Good times were had!

Goals for 2018:
- Keep going with Futari God Mode and close the gap on 7bil
- Get a new PC, a better capture card and stream more on twitch
- Host meets

[OPTIONAL] CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
- Attend more meets and come out to Stunfest, it's going to be a great time!
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

-Bunch of 2-All's, especially satisfied with Strikers II :P
-5.4m at Thunder Dragon 2
-First Toaplan 10m (Tatsujin)

-Plasmo's Donpachi WR, plus all the great scores this game is getting lately.
-Eaglet's Garegga progress.
-Banana and Blackisto's DDP progress.
-Iconoclast destroying Dangun and Mahou.
-Perikles's oldschool domination
-smc's 4b Futari BL og

Goals for 2018:
-Keeping motivation for shmups.
Last edited by Vludi on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InFireX

Post by InFireX »

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017: Getting ~31 million in Kamui on Menace (first time playing for score)

Goals for 2018:
1. 1cc CCWI on Unlimited mode with Type-I
2. 1cc Suguri on Hard
3. to be able to consistently 1cc RE:Gundemonium on Demonic mode and start playing it for score
ryu

Post by ryu »

maybe play a shmup sometime.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Satis

Post by Satis »

a
Last edited by Satis on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAI

Post by KAI »

achievements by others - keeping this forum alive. thanks guys.

goals - same as always, fap less, play more, and maybe:
clear espgaluda arrange, pinksweets and battle greg, Ilvello all keys, better Ibara score, Karous 1st position, stop hating sdoj, 1cc all cave games, reviving milestone, etc
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Screw ups, if you can even call it that: Just not playing very many shooters last year, at least not enough to do anything worthwhile in them.

So I just want to play a bit more to get back into them. I would still like to 100% Deathsmiles(so I'd need to play MBL 999 and Arcade scoreruns), and maybe get better with Daifukkatsu. I also picked up Blue Revolver and Aeternum in the Steam sale, so if I enjoy them, I may go for something decent in them too. And I still want to go back to JSS and finish the unfinished business with it(default ship Hard/Special clears that I still don't have)
blackisto

Post by blackisto »

Hey there:

Achievements by others : so many fantastic performances I'm too lazy to list them all. Playing STG's is one of these performance so congratz guys.

Biggest screw up: not getting 600m at DDP in 2017
2018 goal: get 600m at DDP :lol:
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017:
- 4.37b score in Deathsmiles MBL with Follett (#1 on farm)
- Looped Progear (reached 2-2)
- Cleared a Konami shmup for the first time (Gradius II AC)
- Got pretty close to the 2-ALL in Last Resort during TRP-STGT (starting from zero)

- I didn't actually play much Garegga this year (I had mostly gotten my fill in 2016) so I didn't get that E score that I had planned on. Ultimately, I think I'm satisfied with my current ~D for now.
- Got to Gigafacer with my first credit on the Mahou Daisakusen PS4 port but still haven't actually clinched a 1-ALL yet.

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017:
- Donpachi WRs
- Perikles' 10 million in both Gradius and Gradius II, Battlantis 2-ALL
- Pestro's progress in Futari God
- Aquas' continual pushing of MMP records
- Vludi's big scores and 2-ALLs in all sorts of games
- Satis blowing up CCWI
- SPE providing continual inspiration with Follett in DS/MBL

Goals for 2018:
This year was a little unusual for me because with the possible exception of DSMBL, I spent most of the year sort of dabbling in a bunch of different games and "finding myself" in terms of what I like and dislike about various sorts of shmups, clearing a number of them but not diving too deep or accomplishing anything too noteworthy in any one of them. While that was fun and I learned a lot in the process, I'd like to cut down on that this year and re-focus a bit, with a smaller set of concrete goals:

- 1CC Blue Revolver Parallel Mode
- Learn R-Type and do something with it (1-ALL or 2-ALL depending on how I feel)
- Do something good in Ketsui (200m? Omote 2-ALL???)

I'm going to do my best not to get distracted from these things this year. We'll see how well I stick to that, I guess.

- Say hello and give a few friendly words of encouragement to a new player that you come across on this forum, on Discord, Twitch, or wherever else.
- Post a score for your favorite game to the high score forum.
- Post some information or ask a question about your favorite game in the strategy forum.
pestro87 wrote:- Keres' DSMBL score with Follett
Wow, thank you very much! I never imagined there'd be a day where someone would point out something I accomplished as being noteworthy. While my score is obviously far below the Follett WR (~36%), I was at least proud to show what's possible even in a rank-controlled (2x Lv.2) route. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to go for a full 6x999 route! (2019 ;))
Last edited by CloudyMusic on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Cheers! It’s a very nice score given the rank that you chose! Comparing scores in DSMBL is hard unless you pick the same ranks and routes. Yes! I’ll join you on working on a full Lvl 999 route in 2019 :) Started working on the routing with Windia a little while back just for fun. Really looking forward to getting back on it!
MathU

Post by MathU »

Could it be... Is 2018 the year I finally get off my lazy unmotivated ass and finish my Darius Gaiden website and guide?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017: Actually started playing shmups again and played a whole raft of games. Had my first 1cc (Nex Machina). Learned how to emulate on my macbook.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Trying to 1cc games too difficult for my level (such as Raiden IV). I'm a better player now than I was last year though, but it was disappointing not to get close.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017: Perikles continued motivation to seek out 1cc's, and all the games Jaimers91 so easily defeats. Astounding.

(4) Goals for 2018: 1cc easier games including a childhood favourite in UN squadron. Just keep improving as a player and enjoy playing.

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: I'll skip giving out challenges, but I really like what Keres posted in his (hers?).
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Lyv

Post by Lyv »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017: Looped Ketsui (Omote 2-2).

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: No-missed Strikers 1945 up to 2-8, game overed on the last boss, lost my will to live and to play shmups.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017: Didn't really follow, but Vludi got some nice scores.

(4) Goals for 2018: Play shmups.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

- Getting 1 billion pts in DOJBL and learning the stage 4 full chain

- Doing 90 % runs / 10% practice

- WY. getting the DOJBL WR for both A-EX and B-EX ships
- LYX's 3.2B DOJBL run on stream
- Bananamatic 582M in DDP

Goals for 2018:
- 90 % practice / 10% runs
- 2B in DOJBL
- Learn another shmup
SMC

Post by SMC »

Reaching my only goal for 2017 (4 bil in Futari BL Orig)

Waiting until June to start playing full runs

RSQ Futari Ultra Normal Palm clear
Assy's counterstop
darurun bl original 4.5bil
Pestro's 6 bil God Mode
Plasmo's donpachi C WR and SOF-WTN's A 90mil (!)
Bananamatic's 2 miss of DDP and progress towards free 600mil
Everyone who took part in the 1cc marathon

Goals for 2018:
stream more

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
stream more
blackpawn

Post by blackpawn »

Among my goals for 2018:
- Play through all the new shmups I picked up in the holiday Steam sales :D
- Finally visit Galloping Ghosts Arcade to play a bunch of classics I've only played on MAME so far
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017: looping Gradius IV

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: none, just because I had no time for that at all :lol:

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017: haven't followed much of anything, I only know that Perikles continues his old school destruction campaign

(4) Goals for 2018: R-Type Delta, Battle Garegga, Raiden DX, DOJ

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: Some fellow shmuppers need to venture into danmaku :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

blackpawn wrote:Among my goals for 2018:
- Play through all the new shmups I picked up in the holiday Steam sales :D
- Finally visit Galloping Ghosts Arcade to play a bunch of classics I've only played on MAME so far
I'm heading to Funspot up in New Hampshire MLK weekend, Galloping Ghost is next on my list. Been looking forward to it for a while now.

2017: A better year than 2016 in the stg department for certain. After an eighteen month hiatus without a 1 CC I managed four in two months. Which is nothing to some, but I needed it bad. BWR, Score Rush, and Strania were good, but Progear was the one I was chomping at the bit for the most.

Others - Always enjoy watching Perikles lay waste to games like a Viking plundering a peaceful village.

Jonst getting his Ibara clear.

The dick stock thread. It's just the gift that keeps on giving.

2018:

Keep playing stg's, but more old school arcade games as well.
Go back to some old favorites.
Hopefully get my hands on Xydonia and Crisis Wing.
As Keres said - be welcoming to newcomers. One less toxic poster is a good thing, don't no one take his place.
Last edited by Stevens on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

(1) Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017: I didn't really have any achievements, because I wasn't playing very much this past year. I guess I got a 1-ALL of Prismatic Solid. Nothing too special.

(2) Personal Biggest Screw-ups of 2017: Still haven't gotten over 4,000,000 experience or over 2 trillion points in Mars Matrix. Still haven't cleared Under Defeat or Valkyrius hard mode (sorry Stevens :( ), Still haven't gotten a Psikyo 1-ALL, or even just an arcade 1-ALL other than MM.

(3) Favourite Achievements by Others of 2017: Wasn't really paying attention to the forum this year. I'm sure there have been some really cool achievements. There usually are.

(4) Goals for 2018: get a 1-ALL of... something. Anything really. Maybe try to improve my Mars Matrix score again

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS: GO PLAY MARS MATRIX! as always :P
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
bikingjahuty

Post by bikingjahuty »

Personal Achievements of 2017
- Played a ton of STGs this year that I've never played. From my count I played 39 new shmups I've never played before.
- built a strong top 25 SHMUPs for 2018, can't wait to reveal them once the thread goes live.

Goals for 2018
- Play more shmups. I still have a large backlog of shooters I want to play extensively and see where they rank in my personal favorites.
- replay some of my top Shmups enough to fine tune where they rank towards the top.

I joined this forum in 2017 and when I first joined I was surprised at how green I really was despite loving this genre. Found a lot of great titles I'd never heard of which would eventually become some of my favorites. I think when I first joined I had a hard time coming up with a top 5 shooters list, and since then all of those top 5, except my all time favorite stg, Radiant Silvergun, have moved much lower in my favorites list; I think Ikaruga which was my second favorite STG is ow closer to number 10. Crazy.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

1.Personal Fav Achievements: Finally clearing Dogyuun's Japanese version, and making a little progress on loop 2 ( to 2-3), and my Fighter & Attacker clear by the skin of my teeth ( nasty game haha)

2. Personal Screwups of 2017:Not streaming more, since my current laptop setup is dying and I need to replace it ( keys are going bad on the keyboard, performance throttling in general), failing to 1-ALL Raiden 1, messing up an easy Fixeight 1ALL ( Japan) for a marathon.

3. Favourite Achievements: Banana getting the World record of the western world in ddp ( please beat the free 600 mil)
Plasmo getting a Global World Record in DP- Type C
Vludi's Strikers I & II dominance and his 10 mil tatsujin run
Perikles getting a Baatlantis 2ALL, counterstops of Gradius I & II, Grid Seeker ALL, Hacha Mecha Fighter 1-ALL, and a bunch of other games

4. Goals for 2018
- Go back to Fighter and Attacker and get a higher clear
- Get a 2-ALL of Fixeight ( got to 2-7 a month ago!) and/or some other Toaplan game ( besides Batsu special)
- Improve my Rayforce score
- get a better setup so I can stream and commenate at the same time ( w/o jet engine noise)

There's a lot more I could say for goals, but I'd use those as a starting point, pace myself, and see how they turn out.
chum

Post by chum »

copied from eientei

Personal favorite achievements of 2017: 100 DS WRs was my best accomplishment yet. individually I am pretty pleased about most of the scenes I worked on for a longer time this year. This year I did a much more time per scene with fewer scenes played, to get substantial results. My top 10 favorite results this year is:
1. 9-7 Hatate 844,197 with a new strategy and beating a cheater at the top
2. 5-4 Aya 700,041 surprising 700k in this insane scene
3. 5-4 Hatate 873,318 insanely hard run great score
4. 10-3 Hatate 1,011,354 very lucky and difficult, hard to be patient
5. 12-8 with both chars, t1100 has me beaten here though, so maybe a return in the future
6. 5-2 with both chars. I thought of everything (I hope) to strategize this as high as possible
7. 8-7 Aya 661,871 extremely hard and quite luck based run
8. 11-1 Aya 1,514,918 great luck and perfect execution
9. 8-5 Hatate 2,119,955 very lucky
10. 6-3 Hatate 389,579 new strategy and close enough to optimal (barely missed 390 sadly). thanks to kirbycomment for picking this up because otherwise maybe I would never have found the new strategy and played the score this high.
It's also nice because I've run into problems physically with playing, but I still managed to overcome it and get some shit done.

Personal Biggest screw-ups: Definitely the 35 hours on EX6 Aya without ever meeting the luck goal. What a mindnumbing waste of effort. All that happened these 35 hours was that I improved my PB by 3 points. Total runs that are "close but not quite there" to luck goal is 19. (1.23m+ with goal being 1.243m). Total 1.22m runs is around 80-100 estimated, but I don't save them so not sure.

Favorite achievements by others: All of the EoSD crew is pretty high up there, with SOC, Gobou and izumico at the helm, and Deplore and Kana also doing very well. This is a game that has seen a lot of progress and activity from these great players. All of Kirbycomments and sevenths efforts in PoDD and MoF as well has been nice to follow when I have the time. I am not so up date on what is going on these days, so I am surely missing a lot, I know many players are doing some really remarkable stuff this year and I'm just not following most of it.

Goals for 2018: There is a lot left do in DS, so it will probably be another DS year for me. Just working on whatever I want in this game. in 2017 I've barely touched anything else 2hu-wise, but right now I'm trying EoSD LNN (PB: 1MNB) so maybe that as well if I can't do it in 2017, or another else I happen to want to do on the side (maybe other LNNs in PCB, MoF, UFO, or anything else that seems enticing). probably mostly DS though, maybe I can get Aya overall score up to 100m in 2018. It's close yet far. If I focus hardcore on the scnees with most total score missing I think maybe it could happen.

Challenges to others: be openminded, and be appreciative of the efforts that others have put in, even if u are playing differenst stuff. Watch (or play) some score runs and get more into the meta game of 2hu.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Mostly IRL stuff but raised some Garegga PB's too. Some i haven't posted here because i want the increase to be bigger. Kind of cowardly - i know.
Participating in the weekend event at Konbo in Edinburgh! Incredibly good times.
185kg deadlift.

Some IRL stuff here as well (lol) but in terms of shooting - not achieving all of my goals from the previous year.

Wow, so much good stuff this year.
Plasmo's incredible work with Donpachi and bringing the Japanese and worldwide shooting communities much closer.
Gangsta P's continued destruction of God Mode.
Bananamatic's work towards the free 650m in DDP.
All events and streams organized by people in the community!

Goals for 2018:
Grasshopper E, Bornnam G, Silver Sword E.670+, Chitta E, Gain I, Wild Snail F.5, Baron D.5

edit: Ok, i already got one of these so I'm changing some:
Bornnam G.5, Chitta E.5/F

(BONUS) CHALLENGES TO OTHER PLAYERS:
As always, please take down my scores.
Play more Garegga.
Specifics:
Bananamatic - Miyamoto F score.
For anyone who plays a Garegga ship:
Successfully double bomb the laser turrets in stage 6 during a run.
For anyone who plays a slow ship:
Go for all medal rails and keep the medal value after.
Last edited by Eaglet on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Nameschonvergeben

Post by Nameschonvergeben »

1ccing Imperishable Night with a score of 5,123,182,870

Threw away good runs left and right because I'm shit, so there isn't one in particular that stands out.

Yusuke and Inefushis WRs in IN are my biggest standouts this year. Other players also did great stuff, but if I tried mentioning everything I wouldn't find an end and forget a lot.

Goals for 2018:
Finding a way to stop being bad or maybe just having fun.
Ako

Post by Ako »

Personal Favorite Achievements of 2017:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/180537189

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpicyWealthyFriesMingLee

Favorite Achievements by Others of 2017:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/208298456

Goals for 2018:
figure out every WR
CRI

Post by CRI »

-started playing doj bl again and pushed my old 620m score to a 1,3b score

-no doj bl 2-all and only 140h playtime after 9 months of playing

-Feedbacker and PurpleTheGuy on the doj bl scorethread. it's awesome to have someone on the same skill level to talk about strats and every time they beat my score i get that extra motivation to try even harder. thanks to you 2 for making this journey even more fun.
-pestro achieving 6b futari bl god mode and keep pushing for more
-dodonpachi progress from Banana, Blackisto & Jaimers. was really fun watching you guys getting better and better at that game
-don't wanna list wr scores and more focus on the community achievements but since he is a farmer i have to say it. Plasmo getting the wr for donpachi. inspiration stuff there and beyond amazing
-Iconoclast destroying feveron and mahou port
-smc 4b futari bl original score. watching that run live was damn hype
-Satis and niviv going for the big scores in crimzon clover wi unlimited. love watching the streams even if they make me afraid of the game. (that stage 4)
-GunnerSTG progear streams are also always fun to watch. he really is the ProGunner.

Goals for 2018:
-play more doj bl and get 1,5b 2-all
-if i can get that goal i wanna reroute some stuff and try for a 2b score
-also wanna try some other stuff like ddp 2-all, mmp1.01 2-all, striker99 2-all, mars matrix counterstop or crimzon clover wi unlimited (not sure yet what i will pick from these games)

-play your fav. stg and get a new pb
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Personal Favourite Achievements of 2017
Crimson Clover World Ignition Arcade Type-III Clear

No scoring runs

Goals for 2018:
-Do a scoring run in Ikaruga, no less than 25 mil;
-Gradius III AC Clear;