Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Squire Grooktook

Re: Rolling Gunner: Side Scrolling Indie PC shmup 2017

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sumez wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:I'm literally a 30-45 minute drive away
[...]
Finding parking is a nightmare.
Is public transport simply not a thing in major US cities?!
It is, and it's probably the only realistic way of getting in if you don't arrive at some ungodly hour of the morning! Even then, they tend to be clogged up as heck too.

Anyway @Icarus: then I guess that further goes to what I was saying then! Sounds like a complete nightmare to get in! I'm sure that exclusivity helps sell your game in many ways, but it doesn't sound "nice" for the average consumer (even in Japan) who might be interested in buying a game, and has to deal with all that on top of competing with the biggest turbo nerds on earth for first dibs.

My friend nearly passed out, as I said. I'd have to summon up a lot of energy to survive the place.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
tizerist

Post by tizerist »

Game looks good. I might have to check this out.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm really digging the pacing and style of this one. I'm also fond of the way the option shot moves (facing opposite the direction you press, I also like that in R-Type Leo), and can be locked in place for boss fights. It looks neat.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Plays really nicely and looks sleek, I'm rather well pleased from the Trial 8)
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

I played it at bitsummit last may. It didn't remind me of crimzon clover at all. But I guess it's mainly because I find the sprites of crimzon clover too big and it makes me feel kind clostrophobic... Rolling Gunner doesn't have that issue at all, it was quite fun! And the horizontal view, which is often a problem for me in manics, worked quite well. It has a very nice rhythm, typical of japanese shmups so all in all, a good deal.
Dodge the bullet, save the world.
Working on Pawarumi, check it out!
My twitter | Manufacture 43's Twitter
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

did anyone else not get 60 fps on the trial version? it consistently goes from 58-61 so it really doesn't feel all that smooth
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

just a heads up, you can practice any stage in the trial version, if you set the practice stage from 3 to 6 in the config file, you bypass the 2 stage trial entirely
game seems really good, just the programming and enemy hitboxes feels jank
hopefully they'll fix it in the full release
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Full release in April according to famitsu
Does really no one else follow this game?
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Edit - Nevermind I found it...

It does look really really good.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I 'follow' the developer's Twitter account but am mostly counting on this place for the heads-up on where to eventually buy it, tbh. The demo is brilliant (though it runs with some framerate issues on my PC, too) and I hope to support the full version as soon as it becomes available.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

It feels very similar to Akai Katana. Pretty enjoyable so far.
GSK

Post by GSK »

I've been following it, I just forget to post things here.

A lot of talented people are working on this game--the programmer is one of the late-era ex-CAVE guys who did a lot of work on Akai Katana in particular (contributed to everything but the red PCB, Zetsu mode is 100% him), the artist got his start on Biometal, the composer COSIO is ex-Zuntata, they're getting advice from SHT (the superplayer who helped out with Astebreed), etc.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

viewtopic.php?p=1324917#p1324917
Bananamatic wrote:no one gives a shit about new games and especially not doujin, that's why you don't hear about new games
the biggest news was something that could have potentially been a new pcb and once it turned out to be a romhack everyone lost interest
Bananamatic wrote:because all people want is "arcade" and "pcb"
Bananamatic wrote:
M.Knight wrote:That's why it is important to try to talk about the games you want others to try, provide scoring strategies and info if you have any, and focus on the positive aspects of trying to get people into the game because you think it's good rather than lamenting the fact that some other people don't want to give it the time of day just because it does not come in a stock cardboard box with a specific logo on it and it's not on their falty PCBs with leaky batteries, no practice mode and hardware sprite limits that make you killed by invisible bullets.
did that since late february, absolutely no one showed interest in playing it because the few people who still play doujin avoid horizontal shooters like the plague and no one is going to score a game with 0 players
in fact I found an exploit that allowed you to practice any stage you wanted in the demo because they didn't remove the rest of the game from it, didn't even get a single reply
FFS https://rollinggunner.wixsite.com/rollinggunner/shows
2018 7th page month

· Final adjustment is in progress for completion of Rolling Gunner!
· We plan to sell Rolling Gunner Completed Edition at Comic Market 94 held at 8/10.

We are planning to sell the completed version of Rolling Gunner at Comic Market 94 to be held at Tokyo Big Sight on August 10. The sales space will be Space West - 19a Fuh ~ Secret Base. We also plan to consign sales to comic market 3rd day and doujin shop. Details will be announced later on the official website and official twitter, so I would be pleased if you could wait. Thank you.

· Comrading sale of Doujin game at Comike 2nd Rolling Gunner finished version will be on sale at Akihabara Radio Hall.
Patience motherfucker, do you have it?

If you wanted to help that game and people to pay attention you could have posted that info a while ago instead of wasting yet again more forums space being your usual condescending bitch.

Doesn't say if they have plans for a digital release soon or not, but the completed game is finally around the corner.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

they posted on twitter that steam release will be 6 months after physical
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

GOOD!
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

sorry to ruin it for you but if you put in 5+ years of effort, do all those live shows beyond anything most doujin devs do (even zun), end up in famitsu and you still have 130 twitter followers, it's pretty damn pathetic
that's not "have patience", it's straight up fucked and being on steam 6 months after release will just make anyone non-japanese pirate it instead
but who will be the sucker who imports it for $50 just to have the 4 other guys who give a shit spam you for a download link
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yeah its ridiculously slow but it's 2018 ffs, what do you expect?
If you want a thriving genre and community, get a time machine.
Or bomb the servers of twatter/twitch/discord, then get a plane ticket to Japan and go fite some old devs so they resume making tons of games again and super fast.

No matter how and when people will acquire it if they want to support the devs they'll buy the game anyway, I know I will (on steam then) because I liked the demo and if the completed game is any better then no reason to hesitate.

PS: realize that a lot of people and businesses around the world don't give crap about twitter anymore (because it's shit or they're tired of it, like facebook it's slowly getting out of fashion)
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Bananamatic wrote:they posted on twitter that steam release will be 6 months after physical
Even though I'd like to see it come sooner, that's great. The pre-rendered sprites may not be the best looking, but IMO they're still decent.
I am loving the soundtrack so far.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Those requirements tho...

soundtrack release when?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Bananamatic wrote:will just make anyone non-japanese pirate it instead
Assuming anyone bothers playing it in the first place.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Does anyone really care about Twitter followers?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Maybe the devs. Depends on how much they advertise it and by what methods.

If you just throw up a twitter and never use hashtags then no you won't get many followers.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Somehow, I missed on on this thread. This looks pretty sweet! I would definitely like to see more of this, because it looks promising.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bananamatic wrote:but who will be the sucker who imports it for $50
MY DICK IS IN MY HAND Image
just to have the 4 other guys who give a shit spam you for a download link
Pff, I'll hand a motherfucker straight to bloodf

JUST

THIS
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Sumez wrote:Does anyone really care about Twitter followers?
they post way more release info on twitter than on the actual website so you'd expect people who care about the game to follow it
KAI wrote:Those requirements tho...

soundtrack release when?
right now
download the demo, you can find all the music in the resource folder
KAI

Post by KAI »

Bananamatic wrote:just a heads up, you can practice any stage in the trial version, if you set the practice stage from 3 to 6 in the config file, you bypass the 2 stage trial entirely
damn, pls don't tell me that exploit doesn't work on the latest trial (20180708)

I edited this line from the ini with different numbers and nothing happens
;開始ステージ1~
TRAINING_STAGE=3
;開始位置 0:ステージの最初から 1:中ボスから 2:ボスから
fun game btw, can't believe my 2.7 dual core/win xp pc is running this thing smoothly
Last edited by KAI on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

they fixed it in the previous one but you can still bypass it with cheat engine
just set up a macro to increase/decrease the menu value

why not just cut it from the demo entirely so that the game crashes if you select anything beyond stage 2? would take basically zero effort
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

shameless double post but did they actually fix the performance?
had issues streaming it at 720p60 when I tried 2 builds before, the slowdown definitely feels different in the final build, more consistent overall
would be one less reason to buy a new pc if the current build actually improved performance to the point of it being streamable on a non-gaming pc
I guess this is the power of being able to take time to optimize the game instead of being forced to release a piece of shit because of ridiculous deadlines
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Haven't played the demo yet, but for kicks I threw the soundtrack on during some Monolith runs.

It's bangin'.