Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cee
Banned User

Re: Degica localizing (the ORIGINAL) Castle of Shikigami!

Post by Cee »

Touhou fans really are the most tragic individuals i've witnessed in the entire existence of the species.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

I dunno, man, the competition for craziest fandom out there is pretty stiff
Shepardus wrote:So, anyone want to give a rundown of how the game itself plays? Overall style, any unique mechanics, scoring, etc.?
I only played the third game, but if the first game is anything like it, then the primary hook is that the points you get from destroying enemies is multiplied by your proximity to a bullet or other hazard, and the characters should all have fairly unique shot types.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Kaiser wrote:And this is what happens when you strike a conversation with xxx1993. He will spam you, he will talk about useless trivia nobody cares about, he has none of the charm PC Engine Fan X has (At least that guy when he shows up, his trivia's fun to read), he's an obsessive fanboy who clearly has nothing to do in his life and overanalyses everything for search of deeper meaning or just outflat makes up details, seeing his posts here and on facebook. I would avoid him folks.
Yeah it didn't take more than around 3-4 seconds to draw the connection and realise who he was....
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Cee wrote:Touhou fans really are the most tragic individuals i've witnessed in the entire existence of the species.
Is that supposed to be in reference to me?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Back on topic please, everyone.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Yeah. And I heard she died before being revived as Kohtaro's shikigami.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Shepardus wrote:So, anyone want to give a rundown of how the game itself plays? Overall style, any unique mechanics, scoring, etc.?
Choose a bullet, that's your waifu. Now hug her. Unlike some grazing games where you must switch waifus continuously to profit, you can remain loyal to your one waifu and hug her across the entire screen if you so desire. But remember your waifu is yandere, so don't get too close or she'll burn you.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Shikigami 1 was a good call. All the games are pretty different, I'm not sure why 2 and 3 are seen as strictly better like that. Even the graphics, which is the #1 reason people dislike the first game so much, really aren't much better in 2 and 3. On the other hand, Shikigami 1 has the best overall soundtrack and the two (arguably three) best individual songs in the series, as well as the coolest character in the series. Hm.
NickPalmerDegica wrote:We have reports from testers that it does work on W7, we just can't guarantee it will perform identically on W7, as development was not targeted to that OS. I'm sure fans will be able to tell you if it is identical to W10 performance soon after release.
If I may, why are you supporting the downfall of personal computing?
I guess you could say it's Psyvariar fused with Psikyo. Aesthetic similar to Esprade/Espgaluda with a bit of Guwange thrown in for good measure. Graze heavy, lots of wildly different characters with bizarre weapons. I'm pretty sure Raiden V took its ball plasma thing from this series.

While grazing, you get a multiplier on anything you hit during; the closer you are, the bigger the multiplier. This multiplier also applies to the coins enemies drop. Additionally, your normal shot gets a huge boost while grazing. You can also graze enemies themselves. You get more coins and coin vacuum properties by using your focus shot to defeat enemies, but the focus shot is usually an entirely different kind of weapon and generally harder to use. I think the basic idea is to point blank sometimes and focus through dense patterns other times.
Cee wrote:Touhou fans really are the most tragic individuals i've witnessed in the entire existence of the species.
Ohhh, is this why you're secretly one of them?
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

It's worth noting that Shiki 1 is the only game that has power ups. You start from Level 1 and they get stronger as you get points. In 2 and 3, it's just max power all the time(but 3 added the Max Tension mechanic instead, which lets you use a bomb to always fire at max tension).

Storywise, Shikigami 1 loves unreliable narration. Someone who's your friend in one story is revealed to be something else entirely in another.

Or vice versa.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Despatche wrote:really aren't much better in 2 and 3.
Behave yourself.
Despatche wrote: is this why you're secretly one of them?
rtw

Post by rtw »

So I was looking at the requirements for Shikigami:

Processor: Intel Core i3 2.3 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: OpenGL support 1GB RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Sound Card: OpenAL support
Additional Notes: Xinput controller recommended, not compatible with Windows 7

@NickPalmerDegica: are these really the specs, because if they are I am not buying it since I do not own a Win 8.1 or 10 machine (and never will unless they fixup their telemetry)

As a backup I can always play on my original G-NET :D
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

rtw wrote:I do not own a Win 8.1 or 10 machine (and never will unless they fixup their telemetry)
You can turn all that stuff off. Use your brain when setting options on install and spend 5 minutes googling afterwards. I'm not a computer whiz and it wasn't difficult.

I agree, however, that lack of support for 7 is not wise. The OS still has 3 years to go. Not 3 months, 3 YEARS.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Even outside of telemetry, Win10 is a distinct downgrade for user experience compared to Win7. Source: me, a user of win10 for the past 2 years, who was enticed back to Windows by win7 and now questions whether I made the right choice.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

We can't offer support for Win7 related issues, but there is no reason that the game wouldn't run on Win7 from what we can tell.
rtw

Post by rtw »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
rtw wrote:I do not own a Win 8.1 or 10 machine (and never will unless they fixup their telemetry)
You can turn all that stuff off. Use your brain when setting options on install and spend 5 minutes googling afterwards. I'm not a computer whiz and it wasn't difficult.
What is interesting is that even if you disable all those parameters it still phones home.

https://www.softscheck.com/en/privacy-a ... y-level-0/

And you can only go to level-0 if you have Windows 10 Enterprise.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

That article is rather incomplete (doesn't say exactly what's being transmitted telemetry-wise), but still pretty troubling. I don't use edge or bing or windows search, but I imagine a lot of people do. Chrome does the same thing, really. Google has been tracking its search engine and browser usage forever. Ad-blocking extensions are a must.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Kaiser wrote:And this is what happens when you strike a conversation with xxx1993. He will spam you, he will talk about useless trivia nobody cares about, he has none of the charm PC Engine Fan X has (At least that guy when he shows up, his trivia's fun to read), he's an obsessive fanboy who clearly has nothing to do in his life and overanalyses everything for search of deeper meaning or just outflat makes up details, seeing his posts here and on facebook. I would avoid him folks.

Anywho looking forward to the port, if the preliminary reviews are good i'll probably get it like the rest of degica shmups.
Are you trolling me? Because nearly everyone on this site has been doing this to me.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Well, Castle of Shikigami is now out on Steam, with 17% off discount for its launch week and 21% off for its "Collector's Edition", which includes the game and soundtrack.

So...is anyone gonna check it out and see how the new translation fares out? I know Iwakura is intrested, lol.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

NeoStrayCat wrote:Well, Castle of Shikigami is now out on Steam, with 17% off discount for its launch week and 21% off for its "Collector's Edition", which includes the game and soundtrack.

So...is anyone gonna check it out and see how the new translation fares out? I know Iwakura is intrested, lol.
He's buying it right now. If it's shite, you best believe I'll know.

Installing!

These are not easy.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

You're not kidding, lol. Even if the difficulty is set to very easy, it gets very hard, very fast, lol. Already check that out pre-steam version, and supposably, it'll be the same here, lol.

I suppose you'll still get them regardless credit-feeding, lol.
Last edited by NeoStrayCat on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

The script is solid. About what I expected, though there are some grammar mishaps. Some of the translation is EXACTLY THE SAME as ours.

I'll post screens and comparisons after I finish Fumiko's campaign.

I'm laughing at the fact that they didn't extend the lines past the forced left alignment of the JP version. EsperKnight managed to fix that in the fan translation.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Haha, I'm willing to check out the comparisions once you get to it, lol.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

The sound quality is AMAZING. I never heard the voices or music this clear on the PC version.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

I was right.

They didn't fix the text length at all.

Whooooops.
(Original / Steam)

Image Image

Image Image

Fumiko:
Image Image

That sentence lacks flow in the official.

Also, the game over music didn't play when I didn't continue. Possible bug.

And:

I was playing as Fumiko. :lol: Definite bug. They really should have let fans(re: me) test this first.

Character select is full of bad translations.

And somehow, THIS got through.

NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

So...I don't suppose whoever did the new translation didn't bother to proofread shit, lol. And yeah, they should have contacted you to handle that mess, lol. Either way, it still looks good regardless in the steam version aspect.
NickPalmerDegica

Make sure to jump in on the Castle of Shikigami Score Attack Contest for your chance to win this poster!

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Can anyone point me to the display settings? I've only found a toggle between windowed and fullscreen, and the fullscreen setting renders the game unplayable for me as a lot of the play area is shifted off to the right and not visible (at least in yoko - I haven't found a tate option). I've tried changing my resolution a few times, since the one I normally use is a weird one, but it looked the same...
NickPalmerDegica

Klatrymadon wrote:Can anyone point me to the display settings? I've only found a toggle between windowed and fullscreen, and the fullscreen setting renders the game unplayable for me as a lot of the play area is shifted off to the right and not visible (at least in yoko - I haven't found a tate option). I've tried changing my resolution a few times, since the one I normally use is a weird one, but it looked the same...
Hey,

Sorry about this, this is a known issue that we are trying to figure out how to replicate. We've so far ONLY had it happen on one machine out of all the tests (which, coincidentally is my laptop.) so I've been playing in windowed at the moment.

Can you tell me the specs on your computer and monitor? It would really help in trying to nail down what is going on.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Sure! I'm at work at the moment but I'll get the details this evening. :)
rtw

Post by rtw »

Can anyone confirm that this runs on Win7 ?