Jet Buster - Out and $6.99 Till November 1

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kaiser

Jet Buster - Out and $6.99 Till November 1

Post by Kaiser »

You can buy and see the game here:
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/61807 ... er/?beta=0 ($6.99 until Oct 31/Nov 1 depending on the timezone)
Itch.io: https://jackdarx.itch.io/jet-buster ($6.99 till November 1 then it'll go back up to $9.99)

After all the development hell we went through making this game, i'm proud to announce that we are releasing it this month! We are currently doing final internal testing...

Jet Buster is a 90s anthro shmup tribute that's also a tribute to the less appreciated cute-em'up subgenre, featuring a YM2151 soundtrack by HeavyViper and lots, lots of cute things to blow up.
It's also a lot more accessible compared to Zenohell and Zenodyne R, our casual testers had no problems beating normal mode in a couple of days with little practice.

Here's the thing list:

- 5 Characters with completely different playstyles.

- The game is balanced around Normal mode, however there's an expert mode if you seek the extra challenge.

- 7 stages full of hyper cute-em'up action.

- Multiform bosses that don't go down that easily!

- A rocking positive YM2151 Soundtrack made by HeavyViper!

- Wallpapers! Yep they are part of the game, and the game's trading cards on Steam.

- Not just TATE but also aspect ratio support!
* Note: We currently support 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 and 3:4 (NATIVE)

- Will the game get an itch.io release? Absolutely, although there may be a slight delay compared to the Steam release because the release day will be extremely busy for us.
Last edited by Kaiser on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Special World

Re: Jet Buster (Steam Greenlight)

Post by Special World »

Love the classic tunes. The character designs are great. Please make the coins more shiny!!!
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

Special World wrote:Love the classic tunes. The character designs are great. Please make the coins more shiny!!!
Thanks for liking my characters! They were actually polished up by Rozyrg, though, so some credit goes to him for that. Hope you look forward to our game!
".... that would be rubbish."
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

It's kind of crazy when you look at the greenlight comments.. even though it's clearly stated in the text that wallpapers are coming, people complain about no wallpaper being there. Others even don't get verts at all and assume it's a mobile port, because of the aspect ratio. I sometimes feel like in a parallel universe, where everyone is retarded :lol:

Anyway: Voted yes, of course, I like the signature style and hope for a hard as nails challenge.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Gave it a vote! Looking forward to robo-cats n such :3

A small request, though: do you think you could have an option to disable the graphical effect on the pick-ups? Always found that subtle flash a bit distracting in the Zeno's when you're picking up tons of crap.
(Apologies if it's already an option and I missed it somehow)

And yeah the Greenlight comments are pretty :?
I guess we tend to forget sometimes just how niche this genre is.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

Aren't they replacing Greenlight soon? Or was that a rumor? Voting yes either way, good luck.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Legendary Hoamaru wrote:Aren't they replacing Greenlight soon? Or was that a rumor? Voting yes either way, good luck.
Kaiser wrote:Anyway you will find videos and screenshots there, this is fairly early in development BUT with the upcoming changes to the Steam (Greenlight will be no more in next 3 months), we made a decision to take what we have and show it.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Gave it a vote! Looking forward to robo-cats n such :3

A small request, though: do you think you could have an option to disable the graphical effect on the pick-ups? Always found that subtle flash a bit distracting in the Zeno's when you're picking up tons of crap.
Yeah I can throw in an option to disable that effect no problem. Also we are currently at 120 votes and pushing forward, at an even pace so far. It's not gonna be easy to get this greenlit fast enough before Steam Direct becomes a thing but I think we can pull it off, and folks, your support really helps and it has already helped.
CaptainKraken

Post by CaptainKraken »

I watched the greenlight videos and upvoted. The art looks pretty good and the gameplay seems fast-paced and fun.

I do think some of the bright background graphics could do with a tone-down.
I think they'd be distracting when tons of bullets are on the screen.

Also, the blue bullets blend in with the blue player shots.
So, I think the player shots would also benefit from decreased saturation or something along those lines.

It looks like an excellent start, though!
I had to laugh at all those fools calling it a mobile port. XD
Squire Grooktook wrote:Make a game because there's something you want to exist that doesn't.
Shooting game never die!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It definitely looks and feels like a Toaplan style game. Very cool reading the support for aspect ratios etc. Insert obligatory "Would appreciate a GoG or non-steam/independent release because I hate Steam and DRM".

I agree the shot colour is problematic - the light blue bullets really blend in with the light blue shots. I also notice explosions are really bright yellow and cause the bright yellow bullets to get lost amongst them.

I'd say pick bullet colours that are a high contrast to enemy explosions as well as a high contrast to all the available player shot types (that's why in Mushi Futari, the enemies only shoot pink/purple bullets, none of the players use that as a colour, etc). Or, do something like what Touhou games and make the player's own shots darker or appear semi-transparent, so the enemy bullets are always much brighter by comparison. If you want a game where enemy shots appear in a rainbow of colours, this is the best way to implement player shot colour.

For a more Toaplan like example, in Batsugun, none of the player ships at any point as they level up get shots that are yellowish orange to the degree that the enemy bullets are. The closest is the Type B ship which, at level 1, has yellow sparks, but that's only going to be for the beginning of the game.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:It definitely looks and feels like a Toaplan style game. Very cool reading the support for aspect ratios etc. Insert obligatory "Would appreciate a GoG or non-steam/independent release because I hate Steam and DRM".

I agree the shot colour is problematic - the light blue bullets really blend in with the light blue shots. I also notice explosions are really bright yellow and cause the bright yellow bullets to get lost amongst them.

I'd say pick bullet colours that are a high contrast to enemy explosions as well as a high contrast to all the available player shot types (that's why in Mushi Futari, the enemies only shoot pink/purple bullets, none of the players use that as a colour, etc). Or, do something like what Touhou games and make the player's own shots darker or appear semi-transparent, so the enemy bullets are always much brighter by comparison. If you want a game where enemy shots appear in a rainbow of colours, this is the best way to implement player shot colour.

For a more Toaplan like example, in Batsugun, none of the player ships at any point as they level up get shots that are yellowish orange to the degree that the enemy bullets are. The closest is the Type B ship which, at level 1, has yellow sparks, but that's only going to be for the beginning of the game.
Great suggestions, I'm gonna experiment with it by making the backgrounds darker (and slightly more saturated), making the player shots slightly translucent. PRE-POST EDIT: How does this look? Image

Also the wallpaper is just a test, first real wallpaper is on the way ;)
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It looks better so far! The much darker player shots will help stand out against the brighter enemy shots. This will also really help players who may be colour blind, and really benefit from high-contrast enemy bullets (there's got to be some shmuppers out there like that). If you really wanna playtest hardcore around that, implementing a greyscale mode/filter for testing might be clever way of testing to see if your bullets are visible enough for that sort of thing, but that's probably overkill!
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

BareKnuckleRoo, you're a Toa fan too? We should totally be BFFs.
".... that would be rubbish."
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Loving the trailer music and all the character. Keep it up!
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I suppose I owe you folks an update.
Well we have reached 301 votes on Greenlight! Considering how when I started this thread we barely were at 100 votes and the comments I got, that's pretty impressive!

Now i'll explain what's been going on and what's ahead for us... here's a little summary:

- I'm personally busy coding Stage 5
- Krimzon Kitsune is busy working on the final boss sprites
- HeavyViper has few tracks left to do before he does the final mastering on them on top of doing more SFX work.

So technically speaking we'll have the game done by early May... but it's not the end of the development.
It will be a minimum acceptable product at that point but it's not the product we are aiming at.

Here comes Phase 2 of the development that will start in May, this is when we planned to show off the game originally but you know the deal.
After we get the base game done, we'll send it out to testers for feedback purposes but the overall focus will be polish.

And by polish I mean:
- Add animations for the bosses that haven't received it yet
- Wallpapers!
- Soundtrack/sound mastering
- Sorting out the balance
- Overall polish/remaining features

There are some other things we have in mind for Phase 2 of the development but we need to finish Phase 1 and get the game sent to testers first!
Hopefully that should explain what's up, I have no idea how long Phase 2 will take, but Phase 3 will likely be just final testing before release much later this year.

Thanks for reading, thanks for the support, we hope to make a better game than our previous games.
Kaiser

Re: Jet Buster (Greenlit!)

Post by Kaiser »

Just wanted to make a shout out to everyone who voted for this game! Thank you! With Steam Greenlight soon to be gone, we had to go with the game early onto Greenlight, despite that our greenlight launch wasn't exactly smooth, you folks supported us all the way through, again, thank you! Now we can safely develop the game without worrying about some things we would if we didn't get it greenlit in time.
Heavy Viper

Re: Jet Buster (Greenlit!)

Post by Heavy Viper »

Bit of a necro, but I figured I should drop a link to JB's soundtrack in here since it just went live tonight (Aussie time :P).

https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com/album/j ... soundtrack
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
Kaiser

Re: Jet Buster - Coming October 2017!

Post by Kaiser »

ULTRA MEGA NECRO BUMP COMBOOOOOOOOOOOO

I mean hey, we are finally releasing this game sometime this month, feel free to wishlist it :> the link is at the topmost of the original post. You guys would'nt believe how much crap we had to go through to even this far haha....... well we are here, just doing final testing, saving the big green release button for the right moment :>

And yes, this game HAS trading cards! And wallpapers in-game. :3
Kaiser

Re: Jet Buster - Coming October 2017!

Post by Kaiser »

It's out! Now you can purchase both on Steam and itch.io!

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/61807 ... er/?beta=0 ($6.99 until Oct 31/Nov 1 depending on the timezone)
Itch.io: https://jackdarx.itch.io/jet-buster ($6.99 till November 1 then it'll go back up to $9.99)
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Jet Buster - Out and $6.99 Till November 1

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Just got this and enjoying it right now, but I just noticed something: neither this nor the Xeno games have an option to review the tutorial, do they? I mean, they're not terribly complicated games, but that seems a bit odd.

PS: How much is Norty paying you for that billboard? :P
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:Just got this and enjoying it right now, but I just noticed something: neither this nor the Xeno games have an option to review the tutorial, do they? I mean, they're not terribly complicated games, but that seems a bit odd.

PS: How much is Norty paying you for that billboard? :P
The tutorial didn't appear for you when you first played on Normal? How strange. I suppose I could make it so every time you play on Normal, you get asked if you want the tutorial (and provide a menu option for skipping that question)
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

No, I got the tutorial the first time. I'm just wondering if there's some way to view it again in case you forget or do like me and accidentally skip through half the text shooting the enemies
Though, what you just said would probably be the sensible way to handle it anyways.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

mamboFoxtrot wrote:No, I got the tutorial the first time. I'm just wondering if there's some way to view it again in case you forget or do like me and accidentally skip through half the text shooting the enemies
Though, what you just said would probably be the sensible way to handle it anyways.
Patch 1.01

- in GAME SETTINGS you can decide if you want the tutorial or not (by default on a fresh/reset config it's skip is set to OFF)
- Fixed a portrait bug at the stage 6 boss intro.

Done.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

:shock: That was fast!
and hey, reviewing the tutorial I found out that the field during Medal-shooting mode isn't just for show! I knew I'd missed something!
Barba

Post by Barba »

Saw this at a friend's place yesterday night (yep, a forum member).

From what I gather it feels solid and I will get it as soon as I get back home. Two little points of criticism: Sometimes the bullet contrast is a bit lacking (yellow bullets in a storm of yellow explosions).
Also what may be hindering sales a bit is the overall quality of graphics. I know, I know. Indie development, all done by oneself etc., and others get away with it just fine (hello, Mecha Ritz).
Still: Imagine a Grybanser Fox release with full gryzor art. The exact same product would fly on a whole different level.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Barba wrote:Sometimes the bullet contrast is a bit lacking (yellow bullets in a storm of yellow explosions).
Just tried this myself, and you might want to have a look around the options menu, as there's a spot where you can change enemy bullet colors; myself, I just turned everything into ol' reliable retina-searing neon pink and didn't look back, heh.

Only played a little so far, but early impressions are leaning towards this one ending up as perhaps my personal favorite of the Grybanser shooters, though I'm also a sucker for cute-em-ups in general, so take that with a grain of salt.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Game is good. For some reason this game's release led me to go back and play Zenohell, which I did not really do when it came out. Hm.

If Raizing music/sounds/voice clips aren't playing in your head every second of Jet Buster, something may actually be wrong with you.

I'm pretty sure a full game with Gryzor art would be the act that finally ends this universe. Maybe that's why he's making Super XYX...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Barba

Post by Barba »

BulletMagnet wrote: Just tried this myself, and you might want to have a look around the options menu, as there's a spot where you can change enemy bullet colors; myself, I just turned everything into ol' reliable retina-searing neon pink and didn't look back, heh.
Before I was at a friend's so I did not look through the options because I was trying not to mess with his shit, I had missed this. Earlier today I got my own copy and set this to full pink and everything is fine, consider my concern null and void. This is in fact a nice solution, because now all the people carrying their various grudges against the pink/cave-colorset are easily pacified.

After having played a couple of credits I can only recommend this game. ZenodyneR was a bit above my paygrade, gnarly gouty old fingers and all, but this feels just right.
MrFugu

Post by MrFugu »

This looks interesting.
Maybe anyone of those who already got it can comment on whether the expert mode is ZenodyneR-style hard?
Judging from a 1CC video I saw it looks a bit more accessible.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Played this today, 1CC'd all 4 modes with Arashi.

It's got the feel of a Toaplan game, albeit with a much more forgiving hitbox and lots of resources at your disposal. The medal system is pretty fun to level up by collecting coins first, though getting it all the way to Rank 10 wasn't quite as rewarding as I hoped it would suddenly be in terms of score! Standard is quite easy as expected, got the 1CC with Makoto on first attempt. Expert took a couple of tries to learn the finer points of bombing, but once you realize bombs last forever (like 4 secs of invuln), you can use them to pointblank rush stuff down and throw your sheer resources at bosses.

Somewhat disappointed I had to setup rapid fire for this: it has a shot + focus button, but you do way, WAY more damage unfocused for all shot types vs holding focus. It's trying to be anti-CAVE in a sense I suspect, but what happens is you realize you can hold shot and tap focus now and then to overlap both shots for even more damage, and then you're using doubleshot all day long aside from the occasional focus to precisely dodge something (or using just normal shot to collect coins and build medal meter). The tapping speed needed to keep the overlap shots going isn't too bad, especially as Arashi though, but I'm still lazy and setup a rapid fire script for this.

Arashi in particular is broken with the double overlapping shots as his focus shot is decently strong, and his pointblanking with his main shot is ridiculously powerful. The setup I used for rapid fire via AutoHotKey:
Spoiler
z - bomb
x - focus
c - shot

this AutoHotKey script makes c into focus doubleshot, plus makes v a normal shot button for gaining coins

v::c
~*c::
While GetKeyState("c","P")
If GetKeyState("x","P")
{
Send {x down}
}
else
{
Send {x down}
Sleep 1
Send {x up}
Sleep 100
}
return
The character ratings in the selection screen are mostly lies:

• Makoto: Has about the same damage at long range as Axel and Arashi with overlapped shot + focus shots.

• Axel: Good damage even without focus shot, no spread except at medium range with focus shot.

• Arashi: Worst attack rating of all characters in selection screen, best attacker in the game. Massive spread and has the most damage gain from using overlapping shot + focus due to having the strongest focus shot. Normally focus shot alone is tricky to use as it has a long gap between shots, but by overlapping it, you fill the screen with shuriken and cancel all coins into medals easily by hitting them with giant focus shuriken. Highest bomb damage in the game due to having the highest pointblank damage during bomb. Only downside is that insane movespeed during bosses is tricky to learn to control, but with good bombing you can basically resource your way to the clear by bombing through the tight patterns. Even when not bombing, hitting with his middle line of shuriken + giant shuriken seems to match Makoto and Axel for raw damage at long range.

• Karin: Highest attack rating of all characters but actually has second worst damage in game due to receiving almost no boost from overlapping shot + focus. Minimal pointblanking bonus when bombing means bosses take a while, stages are tricky due to lower damage, etc... probably the hardest character to clear with.

• Amelia: Even lower damage than Amelia. She's pretty much the same as Karin, except her normal shot is slightly weaker but far better at sheer coverage during stages when at high power. She might be better than Karin is for clearing due to the extra shot spread (her shots spread out as wide as Arashi but with less damage in total), but has the longest boss fights to deal with. Even when on top of enemies with all shots hitting her damage is a far cry from Arashi.