Mobile shmups - do you play them?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Puyopuyomayo

Mobile shmups - do you play them?

Post by Puyopuyomayo »

I'm playing ore and more mobile shmups.

It does not feel the same but is good to play on the go.

One thing that occurred to me is that sometimes I'd wish i had touch control on normal shmups now

The not sure how to feel about it
iconoclast

Re: Mobile shmups - do you play them?

Post by iconoclast »

Gothic wa Mahou Otome is great. I played that for a while, but I stopped because it's a STG/RPG hybrid, and I felt like I could never catch up to everyone who's been playing since it came out. Funny thing though is that it has by far the most scoring activity out of any STG these days.

Aka to Blue looks great too. I'll play that when it comes out.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

lol no
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Actually it's the other way around, meaning it'd be nice to use the proper iOS or Android gaming controller on a iOS device or Android device when playing such mobile shmups via bluetooth setup. Take for instance Cave Co. Ltd.'s Deathsmiles port on iOS, it does support mi-fi controller which is quite nice (but rather being an special exception than being the norm when it comes to playing iOS shmup ports like DDP Maximum & the like which use touch screen interface as the only way to play 'em).

The iOS Bullet Hell Monday shmup app (aka BHM) does support both touch screen interface & mi-fi controller support as well -- basically the best of both worlds giving the shmupper the choice to play in either format. I find it rather odd that Best Buy doesn't sell Apple compatible gaming controllers whereas if you were to head on down to an Apple store, they have 'em in stock. I broke down and bought a proper Hori Ultimate controller for use with iOS at an Apple store -- well worth it in the end: http://stores.horiusa.com/horipad-ultimate/ Very novel that the Apple sales associate that you do business with at an Apple store ends up being the person to ring up your purchase.

This particular Android gaming controller from manufacturer, Gamesir, works wonders on Android devices along with iOS, PC & PS3 platforms as well (thus making it quite versatile as a multi-purpose gaming controller not limited to any one single gaming platform for that matter -- you can select any platform "on the fly" by implementing the proper button commands to do so): https://www.amazon.com/GameSir-Bluetoot ... esir&psc=1 Even the push buttons are backlit during gameplay which can be turned on or off if so desired (very rarely do you see this particular type of LED backlit buttons as a bonus feature/functionality on a 3rd-party produced gaming pad controller) -- how cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

no
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Not mobile shmups, but I do emulation.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

No mobile as to not support it

No pirating as to support it
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

no

what a troll thread
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I hate the way anything but a d-pad feels so no.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
shoryusatsu999

Post by shoryusatsu999 »

I've sporadically played Gothic wa Mahou Otome and Dragon Heroes. As long as it's made from the ground up with mobile gaming in mind, I don't mind touch controls. Don't really care much for it in ports of games where ship speed is a factor, though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yes, cave's ios ports is what made me interested in shmups back in the day though now I moved to PC and consoles mostly.

But still casually love to fire up ddpdoj or taito's rayforce on my tablet. I must say I m sometimes much better with touch controls rather than buttons considering bullet curtain dodges, but that might be also because of ratio between screen size and distance to eyes, or maybe my fingers work like that I dunno I mostly use touchscreen for electronic music synthesizer control layout stuff rather than gaming, I moved to psp from ios regarding games lol

*however, there are some good shmups that are, unfortunately, only mobile! Like Inheritage Boundary of Existence
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Mobile gaming is so freaking overhyped. I feel like 90% of emulator users these days are trying to play everything from arcade games to Dolphin on their mobile devices. Some of them even have 3D Win9x games installed in DOSBox... on their phone. "hurr durr, Alien Soldier on da go!", or something like that.

Most action games from that era require more concentration than your average endless runner, and I'm tired of seeing dumbass mobile gamers lumping in Metal Slug with their free-to-play crap. To say nothing of the significant compromises in accuracy that are usually required for the emulators to even work...

And in this day and age, who even needs to carry Wii games on their person anyway? Are all these people waiting at the DPS five days a week? My Game Boy never even left the house unless we were going on a road trip or something.

It's gotten bad enough that you have people like this guy here trying to stream games from his computer onto a tablet.
So did you find an app that tells you to delete all the games you're not gonna play?
Oh yeah, mobile shmupping sucks. Simple rhythm games and graphical adventures, sure, but shooters? No, I don't think so.

These people are almost as bad as the kiddies that can't live without laggy online multiplayer for every emulator ever, or the guys that build multicab monstrosities with some crappy MAME build from 1998. "how 2 remove adult romz?"
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
qmish

Post by qmish »

I must add I never play mobile or portables in metro, on streets etc. I might be in a minority, but what I do is relaxing before sleep with headphones in comfy warm bed, though sometimes it might end up spending whole night playing especially yes if it's something requiring from you.

And yes one of reasons I don't usually play "outside" because it's making you vulnerable as game needs huge concentration and attention from ya
These people are almost as bad as the kiddies that can't live without laggy online multiplayer for every emulator ever.
It's about online coop for friends from different cities or countries, maaan.
Sakurei

Post by Sakurei »

I could be playing them but I don't want to injure my hands.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I only play Dariusburst Second prologue every blue moon but I mainly use my phone to read manga anyways
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I never got into playing mobile games much since my phone's distracting enough as it is, and until very recently I was using an aging phone whose battery life I wanted to extend as much as I could.

I tried Mobirix's Psikyo releases once when I was stuck without a laptop for a while. They weren't terrible but certainly no substitute for the originals. When it comes to mobile games I prefer having no realtime elements to the gameplay and the ability to quit at any moment and reload where I left off, as that better suits my habits. Typical arcade-style shmups are particularly uncomfortable to me since a full run can easily take longer than I can or want to spend staring at my phone, and I find touchscreens better suited for broad swipes and gestures than for long presses with delicate slides over small, controlled distances. Doing that a lot just leads to a cramped hand and fatigue.

Currently gurr's NetHack port for Android is the only game I have on my phone. It's entirely turn-based and can be suspended at any time without consequence, which I like, and it's also a relatively lightweight app that uses very little resources and doesn't demand stuff like having an active internet connection or creating an account or logging in every day to claim login bonuses. The interface is a little clumsy but it's a lot more customizable and pleasant to use than most other Android ports of classic roguelikes, which simply overlay a full keyboard on top of the game. Some roguelikes that were designed for smartphones, such as Pixel Dungeon, have sleeker interfaces, but I haven't found one more interesting to me than Nethack (at least no free ones).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

I play Espgaluda 2 quite a lot when waiting and waiting.
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
Mero

Post by Mero »

Yes, but only with drag controls.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

No.
It's beside the point but I don't care for any of the current mobile operating systems either.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Not anymore.
Tried and decided it would never work for me at all.

Hate touch screen controls. :!:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I really enjoyed Space Invaders Infinity Gene for the iPhone. Anybody tried it?
qmish

Post by qmish »

Yes, i m stuck at one of bosses though :lol:
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Yeah! all the time :)

In a good day i can reach level 3 boss in DodonPachi on my Galaxy S4 with Retroarch with 1 or 2 lives, and maximum use of 1 or two bombs (that bullet cancelling portion in 1-3 is madness). I use the emu's touch controller.
Garegga is also high on my playlist (though a strange bug i sometimes get in the autofire rate of the ship put it on hold).

All these games look so vibrant on a 5 inch screen. Thinking of getting a Note 4 specifically for upgrading my mobile gaming experience :mrgreen:
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

qmish wrote:Yes, cave's ios ports is what made me interested in shmups back in the day though now I moved to PC and consoles mostly.
This. With iOS version on iPod Touch 4 I did a way from "yay, my first bullet hell game" to "now I know a position of every bee and many aspects of scoring". Controls is garbage but overall it's s very nice introduction to genre for me.
circuit_bird

Post by circuit_bird »

TBH I play the port of raiden fighters aces on my phone when im waiting around at work or something.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Depends on the game, my phone screen is relatively small and playing with touch controls are pain in the ass.
qmish

Post by qmish »

BTW, i forgot to specify that i when i do it, i usually play on tablet, not on smartphone.
Krimzon Kitzune

Post by Krimzon Kitzune »

Strikers 1945 II and III are decent enough for mobile shmupping, regarding the Android ports. Definitely a great way to kill some time if you have to be somewhere other than home. I highly advise against downloading the port of the first game. Everything about it is atrocious and that's putting it kindly as I could say much worse things about it.
".... that would be rubbish."
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Krimzon Kitzune wrote:Strikers 1945 II and III are decent enough for mobile shmupping, regarding the Android ports. Definitely a great way to kill some time if you have to be somewhere other than home. I highly advise against downloading the port of the first game. Everything about it is atrocious and that's putting it kindly as I could say much worse things about it.
Yeah, I tried the original 1945 on andrioid and couldn't believe the level of shittyness I was witnessing. I seriously though my phone was malfunctioning and struggling to keep up with the game's processing. Completely fucking unplayable.