Super Hydorah

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Gespenst

Super Hydorah

Post by Gespenst »

http://abylight.com/super-hydorah-announced_no_34/

Features 2 player coop, extra levels, remastered graphics, etc
soprano1

Re: Super Hydorah

Post by soprano1 »

Cool, Hydorah was nice.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
ciox

Post by ciox »

Will it finally be possible to pay for this great game? About time if so.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Interesting, I haven't seen a word about this on Locomalito's own website. I hope he implements a proper arcade mode this time. He should also fix the in-game key remapping which was busted on v1.1 to only support letter keys for shot and bomb (thankfully you could still fully map everything by manually editing the config file).

Wait, this isn't just for PS4 is it? That would be awfully lame.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

MathU wrote: Wait, this isn't just for PS4 is it? That would be awfully lame.
http://abylight.com/superhydorah/

It's listed here as a Windows game. Not mention of PS4. PS4 would be pretty tight, though.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I assume this is a remake of the original with mostly the same stages and some extra stuff thrown in, and not an entirely new game, right? Either way, cool stuff!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
GSK

Post by GSK »

Shepardus wrote:I assume this is a remake of the original with mostly the same stages and some extra stuff thrown in, and not an entirely new game, right? Either way, cool stuff!
Correct.
Doctor Butler wrote:
MathU wrote: Wait, this isn't just for PS4 is it? That would be awfully lame.
http://abylight.com/superhydorah/

It's listed here as a Windows game. Not mention of PS4. PS4 would be pretty tight, though.
Locomalito worked with this same publisher to bring Maldita Castilla EX to PS4, XB1 and Steam and you can expect a similar platform spread for Super Hydorah.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Anyone happen to know if Maldita Castille EX can be run without Steam? I can't seem to find it on any other store. It would be really disappointing, and somewhat uncharacteristic, if Locomalito sold out to DRM.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

Need video.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Glad to see this getting the EX treatment, I hope he makes it a little harder or makes some kind of hard mode. I wonder if Issyos is next.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Naeval

Post by Naeval »

Hi there!

Information about the game:

Devlog -> https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59815.0
New "things": new Weapons, 2p mode, "spin off" 2d mode (different mini game based in something from Super Hydorah), 5 new stages, 30 new enemies, new crt shader, more precise control, ...

There is a small video in youtube where Carlos and me play a bit the game (and we die fast, btw) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHBogxazpgc

It is confirmed for Xbox One (today I think we will release the press note), but any doubt you have, please, be my guess.
Akira
Site Admin

Post by Akira »

.:[ BLAST OFF AND STRIKE THE EVIL BYDO EMPIRE! ]:.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Akira appearing to announce this is extremely important, thank you.

Might be able to get this soon. Can someone give us detailed info on the new stuff?
ciox

Post by ciox »

I'm about to start playing and checking it out, the game is supposed to be improved all around from what I've heard, like all the stages have been touched up as far as enemies and so on.
There were some minor upsets about the game apparently having "micro" acceleration now, but I doubt it will be that bad, we'll see

Edit: the acceleration is really small, like it only takes effect for about 1 frame, and it doesn't seem to trigger at all if you just move in a straight line then stop, it's more based around turns
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Despatche wrote:Akira appearing to announce this is extremely important, thank you.

Might be able to get this soon. Can someone give us detailed info on the new stuff?
Well there's 2-player local co-op, so that's something. Also new content (stages, weapons, etc.). I haven't seen a comprehensive list of changes/additions, though - the Steam page doesn't seem to want to admit that there's a freeware Hydorah...
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ciox

Post by ciox »

Well the changes seem pretty around the board, for instance the weapons are rebalanced, Scort is not as powerful because you can't get 4 options just by selecting Scort and powering it up, it's now split into Scort X2 which gives 2 options that can be powered up in strength but not number, and you presumably find Scort X4 later.
Doing the Meropticon Fleet / ship interior stages with just 2 Scorts makes it feel a lot more challenging, it kinda pushes you to stick with Twin Bombs and potentially Wide Shot unlike the original version of the game where you could hack it with Laser and Scort.

The new stage "Forgotten Lab" is very challenging compared to the surrounding stages and has a pretty neat boss that moves around a maze like the R-Type stage 6 boss, make sure to bring Wide Shot for that one so you can shoot behind you.

The local multiplayer has a respawn mechanic where a player can die and they have to wait but the other can respawn them by shooting down one of the large item carriers in the game, a respawn item will drop instead of a speed/shield/bomb item.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

ciox wrote:I'm about to start playing and checking it out, the game is supposed to be improved all around from what I've heard, like all the stages have been touched up as far as enemies and so on.
There were some minor upsets about the game apparently having "micro" acceleration now, but I doubt it will be that bad, we'll see

Edit: the acceleration is really small, like it only takes effect for about 1 frame, and it doesn't seem to trigger at all if you just move in a straight line then stop, it's more based around turns
Not buying unless I can play that 80-90s joystick setup using my 360 controller's D-Pad. The original game is sat, unfinished on my PC because controls default to the analogue stick and cant seem to be changed.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
ciox

Post by ciox »

They already have their arguments for that mechanic, so more people will have to tell them that it should be an option, I already mentioned it in my steam review
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah, the unusual effects of it are definitely taking some adjusting to. The controls can suddenly feel oddly slippery at inopportune moments.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Anybody picked this game up on Xbox? I cannot get the game to start as the controls are unresponsive on the menu screen.
I have contacted Abylight but radio silence so far.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

CMcK wrote:Anybody picked this game up on Xbox? I cannot get the game to start as the controls are unresponsive on the menu screen.
I had no issues, been playing it for hours since last night. Try doing a hard restart on the console? Plug in the controller? Hold the guide button and turn the controller off then back on? One of those things has usually fixed any weird unresponsive controller issues I've had on XB1
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

So this is basically the same deal as what they did with Maldita Castilla. Really nice that they're updating their games!
Image Image Image Image
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
CMcK wrote:Anybody picked this game up on Xbox? I cannot get the game to start as the controls are unresponsive on the menu screen.
I had no issues, been playing it for hours since last night. Try doing a hard restart on the console? Plug in the controller? Hold the guide button and turn the controller off then back on? One of those things has usually fixed any weird unresponsive controller issues I've had on XB1
Thanks for the advice. Still no joy with this. I’ve even reset the console back to out the box configuration screens.
And still nothing from Abylight. Not even an acknowledgement of receiving my email.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The micro-acceleration sounds like a possible solution to the diagonals problem. Definitely needs a toggle, though.
CMcK

Post by CMcK »

Solved the controller issue with this game on my Xbox. I had the USB dongle for Guitar Hero plugged into the rear of the console. After removing it Super Hydorah is working as it should.
I’m very impressed with the game and looking forward to seeing more of it.
Abylight have been in touch and I let them know what I have found.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CMcK wrote:Solved the controller issue with this game on my Xbox. I had the USB dongle for Guitar Hero plugged into the rear of the console. After removing it Super Hydorah is working as it should.
I’m very impressed with the game and looking forward to seeing more of it.
Abylight have been in touch and I let them know what I have found.
Reminds me of back when I forgot to unplug the Super Scope sensor or SNES mouse when playing SNES games. Some games simply had a disclaimer screen, but Super Star Wars acted especially odd.
MathU

Post by MathU »

MathU wrote:Anyone happen to know if Maldita Castille EX can be run without Steam? I can't seem to find it on any other store. It would be really disappointing, and somewhat uncharacteristic, if Locomalito sold out to DRM.
Anyone? I'm not seeing Super Hydorah available anywhere but Steam either. Would be a shame, I like the original Hydorah enough to pay for it if Locomalito fixed up some things for Super.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

MathU wrote:Anyone happen to know if Maldita Castille EX can be run without Steam? I can't seem to find it on any other store. It would be really disappointing, and somewhat uncharacteristic, if Locomalito sold out to DRM.
It's also on 3DS, if you're interested.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

PSN Trophy list is up, but no word on a release date.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6748-super-hydorah
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Dec 13th release for ps4 & vita and will be cross buy. Great news!

https://www.destructoid.com/locomalito- ... 6360.phtml
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles