shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:41 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

What's your favourite entry in the series?
Gradius/Nemesis (Arcade/Famicom/PCE/X68000/PS1/SAT/PSP) 9%  9%  [ 12 ]
Gradius II/Vulcan Venture (Arcade/PCE/X68000/PS1/SAT/PSP) 16%  16%  [ 23 ]
Gradius II (Famicom) 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Gradius III (Arcade/PS2/PSP) 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
Gradius III (SFC) 9%  9%  [ 13 ]
Gradius IV (Arcade/PS2/PSP) 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Gradius V (PS2) 23%  23%  [ 33 ]
Nemesis & Nemesis II/Gradius: The Interstellar Assault/Return of the Hero (GB) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Gradius Gaiden (PS1/PSP) 26%  26%  [ 37 ]
Gradius ReBirth (Wii) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 141
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2062
Location: Nebraska, USA
Jonny2x4 wrote:
I get the impression that STGs in general were never popular among U.S. console players, hence why Konami didn't localize most of their stuff here (hence why there was never a Gradius II on the NES or an NTSC-U/C version of Gradius Gaiden), whereas Europe at least got some of the TwinBee and Parodius games released..


The wealth of shooters on the Sega Genesis, and even domestic TurboGrafx releases would beg to differ. Even the SNES got a fair number of decent to good shmups.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:04 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 256
FRO wrote:
I also bought the Arcade Archives version of Gradius on PS4, and found out very quickly that the later model PS4 pads have a terrible D-pad for precision movement, and that the game feels a bit too fast in that port. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if that version is faster than the Deluxe Pack, and definitely faster than on PSP. Maybe it's my perception, because I'm playing on a bigger screen, though even when I shrunk the display down to approximate the size of my CRT (around 32"), it still felt way too fast. I typically go with 2 speed-ups, but on this port, 2 felt too fast. But then 1 felt too slow, so I was constantly fighting that battle. Stage 2, with all the stuff you have to navigate through, is quite difficult with a ship that moves to quickly and a D-pad that is imprecise. I kept careening into platforms, trying to dodge enemy fire.


FRO, was interesting you bring this discussion here, because I see very few comments about the Arcade Archives versions of Gradius I and II for PS4. I own the Arcade Archives of Gradius I, Gradius II and Salamander aka Life Force and I play them on my PS4 Pro on a 4K Panasonic TV. Particularly, I appreciate these versions and I have no complaints about the controls, maybe because I prefer to play them with the analog stick and I think they work very well this way. I never played the PSP versions, but I played a lot Gradius Deluxe Pack (PSX version) and I don't remember differences regarding the fluidity and speed of these games. One of the most interesting things about these Arcade Archives versions is the presence of the regionalized versions (North American, Japanese and European). Online Leaderboards (although limited), and "save state" were also good additions. I highly recommend the Archive Arcade versions of these Gradius games, but it would be interesting to read other opinions here.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1190
Location: Indonesia
IIRC the reason Gradius Gaiden never released in US was Sony pf America's policy about "no 2d games on our system mofos" at that time.
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:25 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Posts: 485
That didn't seem to be issue with Symphony of the Night and Suikoden though. And it's not like STGs were never localized for the NTSC-U/C PlayStation (see R-Type Delta and Einhander)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 49
Jonny2x4 wrote:
That didn't seem to be issue with Symphony of the Night and Suikoden though. And it's not like STGs were never localized for the NTSC-U/C PlayStation (see R-Type Delta and Einhander)

Konami probably held one of their 3D games hostage to get SotN and Suikoden available in the US, similar to what Capcom did with Resident Evil 2 for Mega Man X4. Also, R-Type Delta and Einhander both had 3D graphics, which let them bypass the "no 2D" rule. Similar things happened with games like Strider 2 and Klonoa, which played in 2D, but had at least partial 3D graphics.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2062
Location: Nebraska, USA
Kobayashi wrote:
FRO wrote:
I also bought the Arcade Archives version of Gradius on PS4, and found out very quickly that the later model PS4 pads have a terrible D-pad for precision movement, and that the game feels a bit too fast in that port. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if that version is faster than the Deluxe Pack, and definitely faster than on PSP. Maybe it's my perception, because I'm playing on a bigger screen, though even when I shrunk the display down to approximate the size of my CRT (around 32"), it still felt way too fast. I typically go with 2 speed-ups, but on this port, 2 felt too fast. But then 1 felt too slow, so I was constantly fighting that battle. Stage 2, with all the stuff you have to navigate through, is quite difficult with a ship that moves to quickly and a D-pad that is imprecise. I kept careening into platforms, trying to dodge enemy fire.


FRO, was interesting you bring this discussion here, because I see very few comments about the Arcade Archives versions of Gradius I and II for PS4. I own the Arcade Archives of Gradius I, Gradius II and Salamander aka Life Force and I play them on my PS4 Pro on a 4K Panasonic TV. Particularly, I appreciate these versions and I have no complaints about the controls, maybe because I prefer to play them with the analog stick and I think they work very well this way. I never played the PSP versions, but I played a lot Gradius Deluxe Pack (PSX version) and I don't remember differences regarding the fluidity and speed of these games. One of the most interesting things about these Arcade Archives versions is the presence of the regionalized versions (North American, Japanese and European). Online Leaderboards (although limited), and "save state" were also good additions. I highly recommend the Archive Arcade versions of these Gradius games, but it would be interesting to read other opinions here.


The speed thing could have been my own perception, and possibly also the crappy D-pad on the more recent revision of the PS4 pad. I've heard that launch controllers (minus the light bar) fare better in that regard. Also, yes, the region differences are very interesting! I find it fascinating that when Gradius came to the US as Nemesis, many enemy patterns were changed, and death meant some ability to recover with more power-up granting ships available to take down to get at least some level of power back, but I find the balance to be off, because the game itself is much more brutal and unforgiving, with an absolute hailstorm of bullets coming at you. It makes me wonder if the European release was reverted back to be more in line with the original Japanese arcade release, but kept the Nemesis name for Western branding continuity, because Konami recognized that they already had something good with the original configuration. Or perhaps they didn't perceive European players to want the same level of challenge as what they thought the US audiences wanted? I'd be curious to know more specifically what the thought process was behind that change.
_________________
"Playing a shmup with an analog stick is like trying to fill out the New York Times crossword with a can of spray paint." - Topher Cantler
YouTube | Twitter | Tumblr | Shoot the Core-cast Shmup Podcast


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:25 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Jan 2018
Posts: 485
shoryusatsu999 wrote:
Jonny2x4 wrote:
That didn't seem to be issue with Symphony of the Night and Suikoden though. And it's not like STGs were never localized for the NTSC-U/C PlayStation (see R-Type Delta and Einhander)

Konami probably held one of their 3D games hostage to get SotN and Suikoden available in the US, similar to what Capcom did with Resident Evil 2 for Mega Man X4. Also, R-Type Delta and Einhander both had 3D graphics, which let them bypass the "no 2D" rule. Similar things happened with games like Strider 2 and Klonoa, which played in 2D, but had at least partial 3D graphics.


Did Konami even released any noteworthy 3D games back then? Metal Gear Solid didn't came out until late 1998 and Silent Hill wasn't until 1999. Contra: Legacy of War is generally regarded as crap and I don't see much nostalgia for the likes of Broken Helix and Crypt Killer either.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:13 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1190
Location: Indonesia
copy-paster wrote:
The thread is brought up again, so here's my comment about PCE Gradius II Professional difficulty :

Professional mode is MAGNIFICENT! The enemy bullets now shoots faster, feels like a love letter for the fans of arcade Gradius I, and the boss parade is more scarier. There's a walkthrough from Seahawk with Type 1 ship if you really want to know, will clear the Professional mode with Type 3/4 ship in the near future.


If time machine do exist, I would tell to my 2016 self that I just cleared Professional difficulty of PCE Gradius II. Insanely fast bullets and aggresive enemies, I love it.

Image

I also cleared every version of Gradius II (Arcade, PC Engine, X68K, NES, PS1 Deluxe Pack port) aggresively with one credit Normal mode yesterday (more details at 1CC thread), this took me a day. How much the "Very Difficult" mode differ from normal mode in arcade/PS1 version? I saw Seahawk and pegboy's replay and it does seem not that different to Normal.
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:56 am 



Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 681
The poll lacks the MSX games and Nemesis '90 Kai for X68. I be sad.

And while a doujin, Hellhound x68k is a must for fans of the series.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2005
Posts: 1870
Location: Liverpool
On the subject of doujin Gradius titles, I've always really liked Manesis '99 Kai, from the devs of Life Fortress Volcabamba. It's a perfect 'clone' in terms of recreating the gameplay and general feel of the MSX Gradius titles, but the most startling and impressive thing about it to me is how closely the soundtrack apes Miki Higashino's and Kinuyo Yamashita's styles. It sounds like an official Gradius or Salamander at times.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:14 am 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 338
I've been playing Gradius V in an emulator because I don't feel like plugging in my PS2. It's amazing how much better this game looks on a PC. It all holds up very well and I'm even more impressed with the level design today than I was when I was 14 playing it. And this was probably the only game I played for months back then. Wake up, Gradius V, school, homework (sometimes), Gradius V, bed. Yes, no eating.
I love those intensely tight squeezes the game starts putting you in once you hit stage 4 and I have really grown an even stronger appreciation for the respect the bosses are given. Gradius bosses kind of just rolled over in a few seconds most of the time until Gaiden. But V, these are some fights, man.

And I hope Konami continues to make Gradius cards to give us more official artwork of the bosses and other vehicles. I just learned about this a short while ago. It looks great.

Spoiler: show
Image


Shame the deck is so slow even if it's fun, but support is support, I guess. Though I don't think his effect is entirely faithful to his GV appearance. He can at least build some decent Rank 9's in other decks.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:34 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1190
Location: Indonesia
Same here, I plan to get at least a clear for V. I practiced Easy mode this time because Normal is just hard.

XoPachi wrote:
Gradius bosses kind of just rolled over in a few seconds


You can replicate this "bosses go down quick in seconds" part with Weapon Edit mode, just use the most OP barrier + freeze option. Start to pointblank the cores as soon as they appeared. :P
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 256
XoPachi wrote:
I've been playing Gradius V in an emulator because I don't feel like plugging in my PS2. It's amazing how much better this game looks on a PC. It all holds up very well and I'm even more impressed with the level design today than I was when I was 14 playing it. And this was probably the only game I played for months back then. Wake up, Gradius V, school, homework (sometimes), Gradius V, bed. Yes, no eating.
I love those intensely tight squeezes the game starts putting you in once you hit stage 4 and I have really grown an even stronger appreciation for the respect the bosses are given. Gradius bosses kind of just rolled over in a few seconds most of the time until Gaiden. But V, these are some fights, man.

And I hope Konami continues to make Gradius cards to give us more official artwork of the bosses and other vehicles. I just learned about this a short while ago. It looks great.

Spoiler: show
Image


Shame the deck is so slow even if it's fun, but support is support, I guess. Though I don't think his effect is entirely faithful to his GV appearance. He can at least build some decent Rank 9's in other decks.


Man, a remaster of Gradius V in true 4k or 1080p would be very welcome, although I play mine on the PS2 with the component video cable on my good old CRT TV and I love the image quality.

Changing the subject, there is a lot of talk about the great design, graphics and etc. of this shmup, but very little is said about the sound that I particularly find incredible, especially when listened to in a high quality headset.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:23 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 338
Kobayashi wrote:

Man, a remaster of Gradius V in true 4k or 1080p would be very welcome, although I play mine on the PS2 with the component video cable on my good old CRT TV and I love the image quality.

Changing the subject, there is a lot of talk about the great design, graphics and etc. of this shmup, but very little is said about the sound that I particularly find incredible, especially when listened to in a high quality headset.


Man, I love Gradius sound effects in general. The explosions are really rich and there's so much sci fi "swooshing" going on.

V's music is also just so cool. Maybe not as upbeat most of the time, but it's got style. The boss music is my favorite. It's intimidating. Like "Ok, YOU'RE a problem and I'm gonna snuff you out."
Really sounds like the big badass guns are coming in and boy DO they in this game.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2020
Posts: 33
Location: São Paulo - Brazil
Ohhh! How come I never noticed this thread before?

I was recently wondering which games of the "famous" franchises were most beloved by the community to give them a try.
As I can see, Gradius II, V and Gaiden are considered the best per the votes.

Since I have no way of playing Gaiden or V, I will have to play II.

Guess I'll now scrutinize the forums to see if I can find more threads like this for the other series/franchises.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:39 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 3890
Location: Chicago, IL
There's a couple per franchise iirc, like the "Where's all the Darius Love?" thread, or "the Bydo are a man made nightmare" thread (or, what also serves as an R-Type thread of sorts, "R-Type Final Really Sucks" 8) ).

I put in a credit of Gradius 1 the other day and despite dying at the Moai stage twice, I managed to recover and make it to 1-7. Not bad for a first time in years! I've never made it past 2-1 though.

Gradius II I'm finding harder to crack; I was getting really good at it years ago before I just stopped, and it's hard to jump back in. I think playing it on the meh Arcade Classics Collection from Konami is partially the reason; I ought to take out my Saturn Deluxe Pack and go for it. The farthest I've made it in G2 is the Boss Parade.
_________________
Image
DEMON'S TILT [bullet hell pinball] - Music Composer || EC2151 ~ My FM/YM2612 music & more! || 1CC List || PCE-CD: The Search for Quality


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 30 Apr 2015
Posts: 1190
Location: Indonesia
Gau from boss parade stage has different attack pattern from PS1/SAT port, the second attack now has randomized lasers as opposed to "3 laser lines per attack" like original arcade. Final stage also slightly easier in ports too.

Gradius 1 is real toughie, I got a 1-loop no-miss and recorded by accident many years ago. When I revisit it back I barely no miss Moai stage sadly, then I played it on PS1 with widescreen mode on. Widescreen mode is nice because of larger playfield, and it helps me to get a clear again after all years.
_________________
Image
CLEAR LIST | YouTube (WIP)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 338
I think about this a decade later still....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFu41t4cRo


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Gradius thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 256
XoPachi wrote:

Man, I love Gradius sound effects in general. The explosions are really rich and there's so much sci fi "swooshing" going on.

V's music is also just so cool. Maybe not as upbeat most of the time, but it's got style. The boss music is my favorite. It's intimidating. Like "Ok, YOU'RE a problem and I'm gonna snuff you out."
Really sounds like the big badass guns are coming in and boy DO they in this game.


I agree 100% and without forgetting the cutscenes that are also very well executed and with great sound.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group