shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:23 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86
 Post subject: Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:09 pm 

Very, very late to the party, I've been watching this for a long time but I was not able to afford it. Now that the price in EU store was finally down I was able to grab it for PS4.

Playing AC version on 65" OLED tv upclose was quite incredible experience, I havent seen arcade cabinet but I must imagine the experience being something similar.

Only thing that confused me was 2160p resolution - I thought I had disabled all upscaling from my setup, but I found no mention of this game supporting 4K resolution on ps4 pro. On the other hand, ships looked bit pixelated so some upscaling must have been going on. Dunno if it was the game or the hardware that was doing it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 am 

I could use some help on CS mode... there's two stages at the end of opposing branches that I just can't get past: Thousand Bullets in one and Hungry Gluttons in another. They don't seem to go down, and there's no upgrades on that path.

Is there something I'm missing to make this manageable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:49 pm 

cj iwakura wrote:
I could use some help on CS mode... there's two stages at the end of opposing branches that I just can't get past: Thousand Bullets in one and Hungry Gluttons in another. They don't seem to go down, and there's no upgrades on that path.

Is there something I'm missing to make this manageable?

I know I'm replying to a four month old post, but Hungry Gluttons' minions have force fields that stop wave shots. Keeping your laser makes things much easier (even more so than usual).

If you've got a burst ship against thousand bullets, it's generally easier if you use your fixed burst purely defensively. A laser will kill him faster than other weapons, but also consider sticking with shot to cancel his bullets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:51 am 

Been trying to play my PS4 version in 2P coop recently and for some reason the game refuses to recognize a second controller after booting up AC preventing me from starting a coop game. In the main menu I can configure controller 2 but AC seems to entirely forget it's there. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?

Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 pm 

Heads up that the game and all the DLC are heavily discounted on the PS4. Good time to pick it up if you haven't.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:24 pm 

oso wrote:
Heads up that the game and all the DLC are heavily discounted on the PS4. Good time to pick it up if you haven't.

I see the discounts on Steam, but not PS4. Am I too late?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:34 pm 

prophetic wrote:
oso wrote:

Oso should have said its region specific, EU to be exact, US PS Store doesn't have it on sale though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:41 pm 

NeoStrayCat wrote:
prophetic wrote:
oso wrote:

Oso should have said its region specific, EU to be exact, US PS Store doesn't have it on sale though.

Ah, sorry I missed that! Yeah, I'm in EU so it seems this sale was EU specific. My bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:41 pm 

ACSeraph wrote:
Been trying to play my PS4 version in 2P coop recently and for some reason the game refuses to recognize a second controller after booting up AC preventing me from starting a coop game. In the main menu I can configure controller 2 but AC seems to entirely forget it's there. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?

Try going into AC mode setting and selecting a controller for player 2's input method. In the PC version it defaults to keyboard for player 2 even if it detects a controller, even if you used a controller to set up custom controls. I'm guessing it does something similarly silly in the PS4 version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm 

I finally found a physical copy for a decent price and jumped in last night, but as my copy is in Japanese I'm a bit lost and have been searching for mode and gameplay info this morning. I'm combing through this 85+ page thread (....) but I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a beginner's guide to the basics? I've played plenty of Darius games in the past, but I'm a bit lost on the Burst function and mode variants atmo.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 pm 

Ok one big question before I spend on a PSN points card... Can I use the DLC ships in ANY mode? How does that work? I will buy pretty much all of them if I can use them all over the whole game!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 pm 

No, you can't. Each DLC ship comes with its own dedicated handful of courses to play, with unique mechanics and custom music. Neat but not really worth it at full price, in my opinion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:47 pm 

Jonpachi wrote:
I finally found a physical copy for a decent price and jumped in last night, but as my copy is in Japanese I'm a bit lost and have been searching for mode and gameplay info this morning. I'm combing through this 85+ page thread (....) but I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a beginner's guide to the basics? I've played plenty of Darius games in the past, but I'm a bit lost on the Burst function and mode variants atmo.

I don't have a guide but here's the basics.

The red orbs upgrade your main weapon. For most ships, the laser does more damage than the wave so you don't always want to upgrade all the way. The green orbs improve your bombs and missiles, you always want to pick those up. The blue orbs improve your force field. If you don't have a shield, a blue orb will add 3 hit points of shielding. If you do have a shield, a blue orb will add 1-3 hit points depending on how many blue orbs you've collected. Your shield changes colors as it reaches higher levels. The final tier of shielding takes damage from crashing into terrain, crashing with anything below that kills you instantly.

Most ships have a super meter that recharges from damaging and destroying enemies. They do a variety of things, like the ship from Darius Gaiden can drop a black hole bomb when fully charged. Three ships, Legend, Next, and Formula, are burst ships that work similarly to each other. Their burst fires a moderately powerful laser beam straight ahead that drains their burst meters very quickly. They also have the option to use a fixed burst where a turret is left somewhere on the screen which fires a miniature burst laser. The fixed burst is far more energy efficient than a regular burst and your ship can fire your main gun while using it. For survival you want to strongly favor the fixed burst over the regular burst. To aim the fixed burst, stop firing, and it will start to rotate based on your ship's position. Legend and Formula aim away from your ship, Next aims towards your ship. Start firing your main weapon again when it's aiming at what you want. Some enemy ships have their own burst lasers. If you activate your non-fixed burst just as you get hit by an enemy burst, you'll absorb their burst and fire a very powerful, very efficient, and very high-scoring counterburst. Generally I find the easiest way to counterburst is to perform a cut-in counterburst where you wait for the enemy to fire their burst, dodge it, and then vertically move into the beam, pressing your burst button just as you get hit. Genesis and Assault don't behave like conventional burst ships, but they can also perform counterbursts.

Cancelling is a big part of the game. The red shot main weapon can cancel enemy red shots. The yellow laser main weapon can cancel enemy yellow lasers. A burst and a fixed burst can cancel most things. You can gain energy from cancelling, and the fixed burst can be left up indefinitely when under heavy fire.

The scoring system is about building up your ship's multiplier and destroying enemies with high-scoring weapons. Every ship starts with a x1 multiplier, and it goes up from killing enemies. Killing multiple enemies all at once seems to raise it faster. Ships cap out at different points, if I remember right, Legend goes up to x6 and Origin goes up to x60. Different weapons also have different score multipliers. Generally the highest scoring weapon is a counterburst, followed by a burst or burst-equivalent. You main weapon, bombs, and fixed burst all have a lowly x1 multiplier. When you kill something your ship's multiplier is multiplied by your weapon multiplier, and that is multiplied by the enemy's score value. The last enemy in a formation tends to give an extra score bonus if you destroy all of them, and you ship and weapon multipliers are also applied to that bonus. Your ship's multiplier is lowered by taking damage. Basically you want to keep your ship's multiplier maxed out and kill as many high-value enemies as possible with your best weapon. You get a time bonus for killing bosses quickly, but it's generally worth delaying the kill a bit if it will allow you to finish them with a counterburst.

I find Next to be a very intuitive and effective ship for learning the game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 am 

Thanks to both of you for the replies! I still think I'll have to buy a couple just to check it out. Playing as the Gambler from Pro Gear is too tempting!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86