DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sparrow

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by Sparrow »

Same here. It tend to get freeze every time I finish the mission in CS Mode.
I wonder if it will get patches or not.
I'm pretty disappointed it didn't have online party invitation feature.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for the technical tips, everyone.

Man, this game is much harder than I thought! I had always worried that the burst-laser cancelling bullets would make the game too easy (it at least appeared so watching videos of the PSP Burst). I get absolutely rekt'd by any boss on the second stage. Ancient Barrage completely demolishes me!
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^Barrage is fucking nuts for an "easy" course though seriously. He's harder than Violent Ruler or Thousand Knives for sure
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Took down Great Thing tonight. All bosses defeated!
Mr Halibut

Post by Mr Halibut »

It's up on the UK PSN store... £50. Ouch :(
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Current impressions:

I'd heard a lot of people say this game was amazing back when it was arcade only, "top 10 material" even. Having played it now...I think it's pretty fantastic. Though it seems to me that at best it's on par with Gaiden or G.

I very much like the new mechanics. The new beam counter system vs bosses doesn't have the same "epic" sense as the one in G-Darius, but it's a far more interactive system then just "mash A". Actually beaming during stages is great, taking down swathes of enemies and positioning the module is super fun and reminds me of the classic "gimmick" mechanics of games like Gradius and R-Type. I also love how different some of the ships feel, and I'm particularly fond of trying to keep your options alive as Genesis, despite the reductive beam system.

The level and boss design in the arcade modes are great. Though, at times I'd say they feel like they don't have as much "going on" as in G and Gaiden. The bosses are fantastic spectacles, but many of them feel a tad easy when compared to some of the absolutely brutal/tense mid-game fights in past games. Of course, the best moments easily eclipse this. G.T is definitely going on the "favorite bosses ever" list with the huge variety in the way each of his many lasers moves. So much chaos and multitasking in that fight.

I'm also not a fan of the 3-stage format for both arcade modes. I'm of the opinion that length = greater tension at the end, so it feels a bit insubstantial. Beyond that, it simply feels like less of an adventure then the previous games. It's disappointing because they could have easily made a mode that strings together enough stages from Original and Ex to create a campaign at least as long as G. Still, it's fun, and you could always attempt to 1cc several routes back to back, so it's far from a deal breaker.

Chronicle and Ex Mode are fun too, though as many said, many stages start out too easy. Takes a lot of work to get to fun stuff, but it seems to be there none the less. Some of the longer missions in some ways feel more tense then Arcade Mode due to length.

Overall 10/10. Top 25 material, though I wouldn't put it in Top 5 or Top 10 yet. Might change once I get deeper into the game though.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'm curious for those who play Original EX, which ship would be the best in peoples opinion?

CS Mode is grind-fest but not crazy grindy. I'll do CS Mode then do a few places in Arcade mode. I haven't done a whole lot on the Chronicles/Mission mode in the Arcade part. Then again Cabinet 0001 is getting a lot of action. :p
system11

Post by system11 »

Mr Halibut wrote:It's up on the UK PSN store... £50. Ouch :(
Yeah I just noticed that.
US: $60
UK: $75

UK getting fucked sideways as usual, this is what I was afraid of any why I asked a few times about UK pricing.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

On steam it is £23. I wonder what the thought process is regarding the price increase, especially given that the PC version has multiple monitor support?
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
ElOhTeeBee

Post by ElOhTeeBee »

How can you tell how much armor you have left in AC mode?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You can't, just like all previous Darius games. The shield will appear smaller, though, if you only have one hit left.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Unfortunately, you can't. You can check at the end of stages though, where you get a (very small) bonus for the armor you have at the moment. Also, when you only have one hit left, the force field shrinks like it does in CS Mode.

Exactly how armor works hasn't really been figured out yet, though. Someone's looking into it.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Question: I decided to sit down and really try digging into the chronicles mode in AC mode. However, everything says 100% liberated. Is there any way for me to just unliberate (not a word, I know) them so I can actually get to do something?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Progress is shared between people playing on the same cabinet. You can switch cabinets in the options menu (the top-level options menu, on the screen where you select AC or CS mode). Try switching to 11, there's still plenty of stuff there that still needs to be liberated.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

It would be kind of nice to have your own Chronicle cabinet, even though it's obviously beyond what one person could complete on his or her own.

Blackbird: I'd like to request that there be some way to show your comprehensive score for CS mode - I can't imagine trying to compete for a score on any one zone, but competing on overall score would provide a much better metric to compete over.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

Yeah, a total score for CS mode sounds like a good idea.

So far, I've just cleared ADH, ADI, and AEJ in Arcade. I think I might have been around 12th in the rankings for I finish, though that will probably won't last long...
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

They can fuck right the very hell off with that fifty quid shite.
R2-2D

Post by R2-2D »

That's like your opinion man.
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

Did you just lebowski me?
HOW VERY DARE YOU SIR.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

CStarFlare wrote:Blackbird: I'd like to request that there be some way to show your comprehensive score for CS mode - I can't imagine trying to compete for a score on any one zone, but competing on overall score would provide a much better metric to compete over.
This is a good idea. But I'm sure the most important 'story missions' that everyone has to complete will be good to compete in score in, as are those that have the new bosses and stages. The intro mission already has some super good scores on Steam ver. In the long run I definitely don't want to play all 200 stages seriously for score, but rather focus on the most fun ones. But the overall counter should be a good tracker for completion and general skill.

I think a bigger problem is that AC mode does not have ship specific leaderboards. It really should as the online leaderboard for the arcade version has this. Score potential between ships varies a lot and if someone say gets a ridiculously good run with Origin on every route it's not going to even be on the board. If there are no ship specific boards eventually all the scores near the top of leaderboards will be with Genesis and Assault.

There's no reason AC chronicle mode should kick you to the main menu every time you complete a mission. You have to search through the planets and sectors to find the node you want to play again. As the game is set to free play this doesn't make much sense even in the arcade.

About CS mode being grindy:
Spoiler
Knowing the fastest route to the ending mission CS mode can be 'beaten' in less than 12 hours using preset on every mission. I did that my second time around and that was with at least 5 gameovers.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Eh, so what about this?
There also a lot of small features in here that came from feedback via the arcade community for the games. For instance, in the Darius series when you pick up the shield you can’t see how many shields you have got left. In the options screen now, we have it so you can turn on that information and see how many hits your shield can take until it fails.
rtw

Post by rtw »

qmish wrote:Eh, so what about this?
There also a lot of small features in here that came from feedback via the arcade community for the games. For instance, in the Darius series when you pick up the shield you can’t see how many shields you have got left. In the options screen now, we have it so you can turn on that information and see how many hits your shield can take until it fails.
That's only in CS mode I believe.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

system11 wrote:
Mr Halibut wrote:It's up on the UK PSN store... £50. Ouch :(
Yeah I just noticed that.
US: $60
UK: $75

UK getting fucked sideways as usual, this is what I was afraid of any why I asked a few times about UK pricing.
I bought it on the Canadian store. $60 CAD is only about $45 USD.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

OK, I got it for Vita (PSTV), since that's the only version I can run right now. On my 42" the Arcade mode is... playable I guess. But I couldn't imagine to play that on an actual Vita... It's kind of amazing that they went through and included it, especially since the history of Darius home versions is less than stellar and they almost always lacked the ability to replicate the widescreen/multiscreen setup. Then again, it kinda feels like a gimmicky inclusion for a portable device... a bit like that microphone method of sharing saves in Bangai-o Spirits, if you want. Programmers are showing off, they managed to include the arcade on a portable in its OAR, but after having so much fun with online multiplayer at Dragon's Crown, I do wonder if a better way of allocating resources would have been to ditch arcade altogether, flesh out CS a bit more, and allow online multiplayer.
Then again... on a Vita screen, one-player must feel cluttered already, so maybe not.

Regarding Chronicle mode, I switched on cabinet 11 but seriously need a new thread for this one, something like "Dariusburst for dummies".

Let's have a batch or random questions:

About Chronicle Mode:
- does the mode takes memory of which player liberated which zone?

About CS Mode:
- is this supposed to be strictly 1 player just on Vita, or on all systems?

Finally, where can I find a decent breakdown of all the ships: their behavior, scoring nuances, and even etimology and inspiration behind the new ones.
X - P - B
qmish

Post by qmish »

now i keep seeing people bashing original Dariusburst and praising DBAC/EX/CS :cry:

Anybody still loves psp game too or, after Ultimate Saviour of Chronicle invaded home tvs and monitors, you feel like never going back?

*though i also encountered guys who miss Burst missions from DB.
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

Turrican wrote:
Let's have a batch or random questions:

About Chronicle Mode:
- does the mode takes memory of which player liberated which zone?

About CS Mode:
- is this supposed to be strictly 1 player just on Vita, or on all systems?
1) Yes, you have to press 'triangle' when selecting a stage to update the scores and see who holds the world record (and on which cab it is) as well as who cleared the mission first. No indication of this anywhere in-game, however this info is listed in the online manual.

2) CS Mode is 1 player only, on every version. Only AC is multiplayer.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

My request is for a UI overhaul, if possible, for Original mode. Would it be possible to display the Burst meter outside the letterbox, a la Chronicles mode? And have the text explaining the ship selection there as well, to increase readability? These would only apply to screens that are letterboxed - however, the Darius II port on the Saturn was able to put the HUD stuff off the main screen in order to show more game, so I don't think it's impossible.

Other minor things:
-removing the glut of logos starting up Original mode; you already see them when you boot up the game
-being unable to exit the ship selection menu back to the main menu/select menu
blag

Post by blag »

I picked up the Vita version now that it's available in Europe (was £32.99 for anyone curious) and am getting crashes every now and again in CS mode after a mission ends. I haven't had this at all on the Steam version but hopefully it gets patched soon as its pretty irritating.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

Will they ever update the official site with info on the bosses and the Murakumo ship?
Image Image Image Image
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Sound effects on Gigantic Bite's cannons. I guess I cannot obtain Darius trophies at this rate since I'm deaf.
Doomed. But I'd like other tips on Glutton series and Flame series.
Which is the strongest Glutton among its own series? Brute?

Because of its infinite respawning Piranha babies, how do you get your attack through? Or all I have to do to rely on dodge skills?

Flame series tend to swim around in middle of the screen however it's getting hard to escape out its linear bullet patterns that are easy to dodge however it only kept swimming around the screen all the way to corner me narrowing safe areas. How do you survive that?