12th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
royalfan84

Re: 12th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time - Results

Post by royalfan84 »

I would like an old-school seperate list too actually, deciding where the cut-off is would be important of course. One list for every arcade or console shmup pre-dating the ps1-saturn era?

I also think an all-horizontal seperate list would be cool too.
Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Dropping by to check if Undead Line has made the list this year... Hmm, it doesn't appear to. Next year, perhaps.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

royalfan84 wrote:One list for every arcade or console shmup pre-dating the ps1-saturn era?
That was my first thought as well about where to draw the line. There's a lot of knowledge on this board about those early console and arcade shmups. Would love to see people's lists!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'd be interested in seeing a list for doujin shmups only, considering how dominant arcade releases are in the list.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Once again I didn't vote but I'm mostly ok with this list, top 3 are ace. No Eschatos on honorable mentions at least is awful though.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
davyK

Post by davyK »

I have to say I am really pleased that Mushi Futari is No.1 (albeit BL)

For sheer entertainment, variety (never thought I'd say that about Cave) , and production values it is one of the best games I have ever played - never mind STG. Alone it justifies me owning a 360.

I'm an old school person who was 11 or 12 when Space Invaders hit the arcades so I have a taste for old school - hence my pleasure at seeing Layer Section and Gunbird 2 up there - but Mushi Futari is the first modern style STG I have enjoyed. I'm still working on my first 1CC of original (getting to level 4 mid boss with Abnormal Palm) and I use BL as a nice pallette cleanser at the end of a session. Quite, quite brilliant.

Maybe those with higher skill levels get bored with certain games a lot more quickly than people like me who struggle past level 3 of a shmup - but for what it's worth - I think the list is an excellent blend of old and new. I would love to see more modern takes on the old school style of game though.

(btw - I didn't vote - didn't meet the criteria).
Last edited by davyK on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools

Post by cools »

Ibara +1, excellent.
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

professor ganson wrote:
royalfan84 wrote:One list for every arcade or console shmup pre-dating the ps1-saturn era?
That was my first thought as well about where to draw the line. There's a lot of knowledge on this board about those early console and arcade shmups. Would love to see people's lists!
Yeah, I would die for a list of the best generic retro shmups.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

You can't use a console or hardware generation to draw a line between 'retro' and 'bullet-hell' shmups.
'Old-school' shmups didn't stop with the arrival of bullet-hell around the PS1/Sat era.

Still, a bullet hell-free list would be interesting, yes...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
trap15

Post by trap15 »

One could even argue that some pre-1990 games were bullet hell, so that doesn't work. Splitting a poll based on sub-genre is dumb anyways, especially since sub-genre lines are never evenly drawn. Splitting based on years is a possibly interesting and concrete restriction.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

trap15 wrote:Splitting based on years is a possibly interesting and concrete restriction.
Whatever the logic used to select a year or period of time, there will be too many legitimate games left out, so I don't see what makes it a better method.

Making lists and 'tops' means taking stuff out okay, but even after eliminating the most obvious of what you don't want in it, there are still hundreds of games remaining.

Something based on more than one restriction would be feasible.
(but we know we're going to argue about each criteria and even after voting and seeing the results there will be people to call it 'dumb'. :lol: )

If it ever become a thing it should be based a precise idea, do people want a 'best of the mid-80's to mid-90's ? Including proto-bullet-hell or not ? Windows pc doujin or not ? Portable or not ? Etc.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I would personally say that there are very few genuinely-loved "classic" shooters that came out after the PS1 era. Thereabouts wouldn't be a terrible cutoff point, even though I still think that would lead to some manic/bullet hell shooter votes. I think these lists are generally too restrictive (it would open up the competition a bit if Metal Slug and Robotron, etc were widely considered fair game) but for a more restricted list I don't think it would be too terrible to say "stick to PS1 era and before and don't pick any manic shooter or bullet hells."

There's some grey area but I think it's generally understood what that means. If not, "No Cave or Raizing" could do nicely. I've played pretty much everything on the top 25 so I'd be interested in seeing another perspective. Outside of Gradius and R-Type there's really very little representation for older/classic shooters. And I'm not just restricting this to classic horis, either.

Not to dismiss the top 25, of course. Touchstone list that led me to a bunch of great games—I've just played them all by now.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

If there was any change I'd like to see, it would be having people rank every shmup they've ever played from favorite to least favorite -- none of this assigning points business -- and then using a Condorcet method to determine the ranking, in order to filter out the "lots of people have played this" bias.

Probably too hard to actually be practical, though.

(More reading on this, and probably the most practical way to pull this off in practice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemeny%E2% ... ung_method )
Special World

Post by Special World »

Ranking every shooter you've ever played would trivialize the differences between so many games that it'd be utterly meaningless at some point. "Uuuuuh... I guess I like Darius Twin more than Earth Defense Force?" Plus only the super most dedicated players (actually posters) would vote and your results would be super skewed away from reality.

IMO.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Special World wrote:I would personally say that there are very few genuinely-loved "classic" shooters that came out after the PS1 era. Thereabouts wouldn't be a terrible cutoff point, even though I still think that would lead to some manic/bullet hell shooter votes. I think these lists are generally too restrictive (it would open up the competition a bit if Metal Slug and Robotron, etc were widely considered fair game) but for a more restricted list I don't think it would be too terrible to say "stick to PS1 era and before and don't pick any manic shooter or bullet hells."

There's some grey area but I think it's generally understood what that means. If not, "No Cave or Raizing" could do nicely. I've played pretty much everything on the top 25 so I'd be interested in seeing another perspective. Outside of Gradius and R-Type there's really very little representation for older/classic shooters. And I'm not just restricting this to classic horis, either.

Not to dismiss the top 25, of course. Touchstone list that led me to a bunch of great games—I've just played them all by now.
What about something like Batsugun? It's sort of like a bullet hell, but sorta not at the same time? It's got one foot in each pool.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

EDIT: This is in response to Special World.

Possibly, but once you get there, you're probably looking at "games I don't really care about too much" territory anyways, and it's likely to get ranked among a bunch of mediocre games, which means with a Condorcet system, its exact placement isn't really important.

An example:
Let's say that this is attempted in 2016, and Futari is still wildly popular. Let's assume that I put Futari low on my list, but can't decide whether or not I like it more or less than Gradius II. So, my ballot would look something like:

DOJ
Garegga
Dragon Blaze
Border Down
Crimzon Clover
Kamui
Ketsui
[... lots more here...]
Futari
Gradius II (can't really decide between these two)
[...some more underneath these...]

Since Futari is overwhelmingly likely to beat Gradius II in the overall results with a Condorcet method, whether I rank Futari or Gradius II higher literally wouldn't matter; the only thing in my vote that would affect Futari's placement is where I placed it relative to the games that are likely to be its competition (DOJ, Garegga, Ketsui, etc).
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Nice to see some of my favourites in the top 25 list, surprised by Futari making #1, but hey I forgot to vote so no complaints really!

Gotta see more Battle Bakraid love next year :)
Special World

Post by Special World »

To Far Away Times wrote:What about something like Batsugun? It's sort of like a bullet hell, but sorta not at the same time? It's got one foot in each pool.
I think honestly you could just say which developers weren't allowed. Because from the list we can see if you knock out Cave, Raizing, Psikyo, Takumi, etc which are clearly bullet hell (or at least not "classic" shooters) you'd essentially be clearing half the board anyhow. And I think in that sense Batsugun does toe the line—Toaplan definitely falls into the list of "classic shooter" developers, and I don't think it would be a grievous sin to include Batsugun on the list.

I would actually be more concerned with wiping out Raizing, because I consider those to be definitive "manic" shooters rather than bullet hells, and there's not much justification in saying "no Raizing" but then allowing Seibu on the list, considering Raiden Fighters has 80% of the same DNA.

Personally I would just knock out all the clear, iconic bullet hell devs and say "No Raiden Fighters and no Raizing." For whatever complaining that would lead to, I think it would result in a list that provided a fresh, alternate perspective on which games were great. I don't know that we'd even need a PS1-era limit, because so few actual worthwhile traditional shooters have been made since then. Bullet hell has almost completely dominated the scene.

But I'm not making such a poll or compiling such a list, so this is all navelgazing ;)
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

How many of Raizing's games aren't "classic", though? Mahou and Shippu definitely aren't bullet hell, but I haven't played any of the others outside of the Bat trilogy.

It'd probably be enough to say "No Cave, no Takumi, no Skonec, no Bat trilogy".
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

25 shooters is already going to force people to start scratching their heads with rankings/placement - anything more than that would indeed be superfluous.

===

Speculation time:

Siter Skain's Kamui / Alltynex trilogy saw a widespread release the same year as Crimzon Clover: WI, on a PC platform no less. Why do you think it is that it didn't see nearly the same level of support, despite being nearly at the top of the top doujins ranking Nifty conducted earlier in the year?

Do you think it's marketing? Or just because Kamui is a far, far older game than Crimzon Clover? Does an arcade release really matter that much?

I tend to think any new release is going to get some bandwagoning, but I think CC also benefited by aping the DDP series to build momentum (as opposed to Kamui aping the venerable but comparatively-obscure RayForce). Though I suppose one can say "why need Kamui on the list if you already have RayForce in the top 25?"
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Shepardus wrote:I'd be interested in seeing a list for doujin shmups only, considering how dominant arcade releases are in the list.
Someone here had a crack at that not too long ago, actually.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Shepardus wrote:I'd be interested in seeing a list for doujin shmups only, considering how dominant arcade releases are in the list.
Did you paste the correct link? It leads to a discussion about an Esprade board.
Special World

Post by Special World »

imo Crimzon Clover apes Rayforce and Ketsui more than it does Dodonpachi. No idea how it managed to break through, though.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Bonus! wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
Did you paste the correct link? It leads to a discussion about an Esprade board.
esprade is the top 25 doujin shmups
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Bonus! wrote:Did you paste the correct link? It leads to a discussion about an Esprade board.
Whoops, not sure how that happened - the link should be fixed now. :oops:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Could always do a sorter like this http://tohosort.comoj.com/ and do Obscura's thing with the results, could be interesting.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
system11

Post by system11 »

trap15 wrote:Could always do a sorter like this http://tohosort.comoj.com/ and do Obscura's thing with the results, could be interesting.
That took forever even with only 3 games selected.

Alice Margatroid is still best Touhou Waifu.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Finally got the full results completed. Aplogies for the delay, I somehow managed to end up with a whole bunch of things to do at once. Platforms are usually mentioned only where specified.

Code: Select all

###. Game Name                                          Total Score|Votes|Vote Weight Score
     Top 25:

001. Mushihimesama Futari / 1.5 / Black Label (360/ARC)  : 7.130802  45  2.831008
002. Battle Garegga                                      : 7.093400  49  2.512558
003. DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label / White Label     : 6.293503  43  2.263230
004. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~                        : 6.225341  41  2.348682
005. DoDonPachi (SAT)                                    : 5.215299  37  1.777535
006. Armed Police Batrider                               : 4.866755  34  1.696530
007. Ikaruga                                             : 4.756563  33  1.674614
008. RayForce/Layer Section/Galactic Attack (ARC/SAT)    : 4.257325  33  1.250610
009. Mushihimesama / 1.5                                 : 3.950724  29  1.276898
010. Crimzon Clover / World Ignition (PC/NESiCA)         : 3.874443  27  1.355454
011. Radiant Silvergun                                   : 3.625299  26  1.215527
012. Batsugun / Batsugun Special (ARC/SAT)               : 3.474796  27  1.016033
013. Gradius V                                           : 3.423988  21  1.402908
014. R-Type (ARC/PCE)                                    : 3.383000  26  1.009742
015. ESPGaluda II (360/ARC)                              : 3.224978  24  1.018876
016. Mars Matrix                                         : 3.215995  24  1.011246
017. Strikers 1945 II                                    : 3.174016  24  0.975593
018. ESPGaluda                                           : 3.164866  22  1.111164
019. Gunbird 2                                           : 3.136534  25  0.872089
020. Darius Gaiden                                       : 3.043437  23  0.936363
021. Raiden Fighters Jet                                 : 3.041591  22  1.006466
022. Ibara                                               : 2.892703  20  1.023357
023. Deathsmiles / Mega Black Label                      : 2.878840  23  0.796571
024. Battle Bakraid                                      : 2.830188  21  0.898593
025. DoDonPachi Saidaioujou (360)                        : 2.759370  20  0.910118

Honorable Mention:

026. ESP Ra.De.                                          : 2.739923  23  0.678588
027. Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver                        : 2.646135  21  0.742276
028. Dragon Blaze                                        : 2.642065  20  0.810490
029. Gradius Gaiden                                      : 2.641393  18  0.953262
030. Raiden DX                                           : 2.607346  20  0.781004
031. Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force                 : 2.521051  19  0.779384
032. Progear no Arashi                                   : 2.519842  18  0.850028
033. DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu / 1.5 / Resurrection         : 2.457999  17  0.869176
034. Muchi Muchi Pork!                                   : 2.451404  18  0.791903
035. Giga Wing (DC)                                      : 2.288443  19  0.581829
036. DonPachi (SAT)                                      : 2.194569  19  0.502102
037. Eschatos                                            : 2.008894  16  0.559421
038. R-Type Delta                                        : 2.002575  14  0.697396
039. Under Defeat (DC)                                   : 1.923117  15  0.558242
040. Dimahoo / Great Mahou Daisakusen                    : 1.922111  16  0.485716
041. Flying Shark / Hishouzame                           : 1.892760  15  0.532459
042. Akai Katana                                         : 1.885382  15  0.526193
043. Twin Cobra / Kyukyoku Tiger (ARC/MD)                : 1.865266  14  0.580780
044. Border Down                                         : 1.777097  14  0.505897
045. Guwange                                             : 1.724324  14  0.461077
046. Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou                          : 1.688150  13  0.502025
047. G-Darius                                            : 1.657686  12  0.547824
048. DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label                  : 1.494581  09  0.624312
049. Raiden Fighters 2                                   : 1.486518  12  0.402450
050. Perfect Cherry Blossom [Touhou 7]                   : 1.463146  11  0.454271
051. Gradius / Nemesis                                   : 1.435617  12  0.359220
052. Dangun Feveron                                      : 1.415049  12  0.341752

The Rest:

053. Einhänder                                           : 1.332748  11  0.343524
054. Twinkle Star Sprites                                : 1.324496  10  0.408187
055. Imperishable Night [Touhou 8]                       : 1.309110  11  0.323448
056. Recca [Summer Carnival '92]                         : 1.257495  11  0.279612
057. Thunder Force III                                   : 1.209086  09  0.381840
058. Raiden                                              : 1.196389  10  0.299385
059. Pink Sweets                                         : 1.194823  08  0.441397
060. Ibara Kuro / Black Label                            : 1.186691  08  0.434490
061. Strikers 1999 / Strikers 1945 III                   : 1.153721  09  0.334818
062. Musha Aleste / M.U.S.H.A.                           : 1.106229  09  0.294483
063. Cho Ren Sha 68K (PC)                                : 1.093480  10  0.211984
064. Salamander 2                                        : 1.091853  08  0.353945
065. Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons                          : 1.002780  07  0.349966
066. Shikigami no Shiro II / Castle Shikigami II         : 0.991706  08  0.268889
067. Hellsinker                                          : 0.952486  06  0.378922
068. Raiden IV                                           : 0.947225  07  0.302783
069. Lords of Thunder / Winds of Thunder                 : 0.919947  07  0.279615
070. Blazing Star                                        : 0.919700  08  0.207735
071. Metal Black                                         : 0.915041  08  0.203777
072. Tatsujin / Truxton (PCE/MD/ARC)                     : 0.904399  07  0.266410
073. Giga Wing 2                                         : 0.901959  07  0.264338
074. Raiden Fighters                                     : 0.870189  07  0.237356
075. Akai Katana Shin (360)                              : 0.847244  06  0.289540
076. Psyvariar Revision / Medium Unit (PS2)              : 0.833485  07  0.206183
077. G-Stream G2020 / DeltaZeal (360)                    : 0.830790  06  0.275566
078. Soldier Blade                                       : 0.825148  07  0.199102
079. Mountain of Faith [Touhou 10]                       : 0.822947  07  0.197233
080. Fire Shark / Same! Same! Same! (MD)                 : 0.818989  07  0.193871
081. R-Type II                                           : 0.804409  06  0.253160
082. Ginga Force                                         : 0.798615  05  0.319910
083. Judgement Silversword                               : 0.782953  06  0.234937
084. Zanac Neo                                           : 0.781410  06  0.233627
085. Sexy Parodius                                       : 0.777168  07  0.158353
086. Gun.Smoke (ARC)                                     : 0.776262  07  0.157584
087. R-Type Leo                                          : 0.775033  06  0.228211
088. Zero Gunner 2                                       : 0.762080  07  0.145539
089. Gun Frontier                                        : 0.759270  05  0.286495
090. Triggerheart Exelica (DC)                           : 0.737410  05  0.267929
091. Gradius III (SNES)                                  : 0.729912  06  0.189889
092. Guardian Force                                      : 0.701477  05  0.237410
093. R-Type Final                                        : 0.699198  06  0.163804
094. 19XX: The War Against Destiny                       : 0.690956  06  0.156804
095. Salamander (ARC/PCE) / Life Force (ARC)             : 0.681650  06  0.148900
096. Gradius IV                                          : 0.676475  06  0.144506
097. Galaga                                              : 0.665613  05  0.206952
098. Parodius Da! (ARC/SNES)                             : 0.659977  05  0.202164
099. Sengoku Blade / Tengai                              : 0.644754  05  0.189236
100. Thunder Dragon 2                                    : 0.620097  04  0.239965
101. Harmful Park                                        : 0.618898  05  0.167276
102. Darius Burst: Another Chronicle / EX                : 0.618211  04  0.238363
103. Caladrius / Caladrius Blaze                         : 0.613258  04  0.234157
104. Shienryu                                            : 0.608670  05  0.158590
105. Strikers 1945 (SAT/ARC)                             : 0.598322  05  0.149801
106. Darius II                                           : 0.584306  05  0.137897
107. Axelay                                              : 0.581440  05  0.135463
108. Gradius III (ARC)                                   : 0.576463  05  0.131236
109. Zanac (NES)                                         : 0.575213  05  0.130174
110. Radirgy                                             : 0.560908  04  0.189696
111. Bangai-O (DC)                                       : 0.558023  04  0.187246
112. Undefined Fantastic Object [Touhou 12]              : 0.555296  04  0.184930
113. Galaga '88                                          : 0.554775  04  0.184487
114. Undeadline (MD)                                     : 0.539861  04  0.171821
115. Mr. Heli no Daibouken                               : 0.536563  04  0.169020
116. Blazing Lazers / Gunhed                             : 0.530849  04  0.164167
117. Kamui                                               : 0.526197  04  0.160216
118. Deathsmiles II                                      : 0.524853  04  0.159074
119. Trizeal (DC)                                        : 0.523208  04  0.157677
120. Fantasy Zone II / II DX (System 16)                 : 0.516885  04  0.152308
121. Twinkle Tale                                        : 0.510545  04  0.146923
122. Pulstar                                             : 0.500253  04  0.138182
123. Viper Phase 1                                       : 0.499817  04  0.137811
124. Super Aleste / Space Megaforce                      : 0.497158  04  0.135553
125. Great Fairy Wars [Touhou 12.8]                      : 0.490141  02  0.272936
126. Viewpoint                                           : 0.479269  04  0.120360
127. Revolver360 RE:ACTOR                                : 0.476248  04  0.117794
128. Kingdom Grandprix / Shippu Mahou Daisakusen         : 0.476141  04  0.117704
129. R-Type III: The Third Lightning                     : 0.475410  04  0.117082
130. Vasara 2                                            : 0.468958  04  0.111603
131. OutZone                                             : 0.448732  03  0.166096
132. Jamestown                                           : 0.447179  03  0.164777
133. Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate                  : 0.426616  04  0.075641
134. Fantasy Zone                                        : 0.426280  03  0.147027
135. RayStorm                                            : 0.424006  04  0.073425
136. Seisou Kouki Strania                                : 0.423885  03  0.144993
137. Xexex                                               : 0.421406  04  0.071217
138. Cotton Boomerang                                    : 0.416619  03  0.138823
139. X-Multiply                                          : 0.413685  04  0.064659
140. Last Resort                                         : 0.411583  03  0.134545
141. Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream [Touhou 3]              : 0.400764  03  0.125356
142. Shikigami no Shiro III / Castle Shikigami III       : 0.399553  03  0.124328
143. Mahou Daisakusen / Sorcer Striker                   : 0.399318  03  0.124129
144. Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto / Pocky & Rocky     : 0.398080  03  0.123077
145. Akkanvader / Space Invaders '95                     : 0.393249  03  0.118974
146. Neo XYX                                             : 0.389963  03  0.116183
147. Satazius                                            : 0.386401  03  0.113158
148. Chaos Field                                         : 0.379273  03  0.107104
149. Xevious                                             : 0.376343  03  0.104615
150. Gokujou Parodius                                    : 0.372720  03  0.101538
151. Radirgy Noa                                         : 0.372364  03  0.101236
152. Bio-Hazard Battle / Crying                          : 0.371548  03  0.100543
153. Gunbird (SAT/ARC)                                   : 0.369164  03  0.098519
154. Apidya                                              : 0.368200  03  0.097700
155. Dogyuun                                             : 0.365534  03  0.095436
156. Darius                                              : 0.364758  02  0.166448
157. Space Invaders                                      : 0.363384  03  0.093609
158. RayCrisis                                           : 0.361767  03  0.092237
159. Brave Blade                                         : 0.357830  03  0.088893
160. Hyper Duel                                          : 0.357473  03  0.088590
161. Image Fight                                         : 0.356862  03  0.088070
162. Embodiment of Scarlet Devil [Touhou 6]              : 0.349555  03  0.081864
163. V-V [V-Five]                                        : 0.343429  03  0.076662
164. Hellfire (MD)                                       : 0.332868  03  0.067692
165. XII Stag / XIIZeal                                  : 0.331832  03  0.066813
166. Robotron 2084                                       : 0.322914  02  0.130909
167. Tatsujin Oh                                         : 0.321216  03  0.057796
168. P-47 Aces                                           : 0.319238  03  0.056116
169. Shoot the Bullet [Touhou 9.5]                       : 0.313526  02  0.122936
170. Akashicverse -Malicious Wake-                       : 0.312484  02  0.122051
171. Battle Mania Daiginjou                              : 0.311131  03  0.049231
172. Strikers 1945 Plus                                  : 0.310465  03  0.048665
173. Raiden III                                          : 0.308481  03  0.046980
174. Karous                                              : 0.306446  02  0.116923
175. Air Gallet                                          : 0.302823  02  0.113846
176. Dragon Breed                                        : 0.302105  03  0.041566
177. Area 88 / U.N. Squadron (ARC)                       : 0.301285  03  0.040869
178. Bio Metal                                           : 0.295577  02  0.107692
179. Flame Zapper Kotsujin                               : 0.289360  03  0.030741
180. Blue Wish Resurrection / Plus                       : 0.270561  03  0.014775
181. Sonic Wings Special                                 : 0.268619  02  0.084796
182. Subterranean Animism [Touhou 11]                    : 0.268073  02  0.084333
183. Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (PSX/SAT)                  : 0.262971  02  0.080000
183. Darius Burst / Second Prologue                      : 0.262971  02  0.080000
185. Mamoru-kun wa Norowarete Shimatta!                  : 0.261345  02  0.078619
186. Terra Cresta                                        : 0.261160  02  0.078462
186. TwinBee Yahho!                                      : 0.261160  02  0.078462
188. Varth: Operation Thunderstorm                       : 0.258052  02  0.075822
189. eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate / Black Package         : 0.257928  02  0.075717
190. 1942                                                : 0.255726  02  0.073846
191. Super Fantasy Zone                                  : 0.251851  02  0.070556
192. Kaikan                                              : 0.249470  02  0.068534
193. Magical Chase                                       : 0.248027  02  0.067308
194. Rapid Hero                                          : 0.247064  02  0.066490
195. Raiden II                                           : 0.244857  02  0.064615
196. Power Strike II (SMS)                               : 0.243933  02  0.063831
197. In The Hunt                                         : 0.243783  02  0.063704
198. Gun.Smoke (NES)                                     : 0.243347  02  0.063333
199. Eliminate Down                                      : 0.242885  02  0.062941
200. Side Arms (PCE)                                     : 0.241301  02  0.061595
201. Super R-Type                                        : 0.238056  02  0.058839
202. Omega Fighter                                       : 0.236526  02  0.057540
203. Exed Exes                                           : 0.235185  02  0.056401
204. Granada (MD)                                        : 0.233988  02  0.055385
205. UN Squadron (SNES)                                  : 0.230127  02  0.052105
206. FixEight                                            : 0.228950  02  0.051105
207. ring^-27                                            : 0.227648  02  0.050000
208. E.D.F.: Earth Defense Force                         : 0.227085  02  0.049522
209. Dragon Spirit                                       : 0.224488  02  0.047316
210. Blast Wind                                          : 0.223723  02  0.046667
211. Hydorah                                             : 0.221247  02  0.044563
212. Bullet Soul / Infinite Burst                        : 0.220456  02  0.043892
213. Double Spoiler [Touhou 12.5]                        : 0.219331  02  0.042936
214. Phoenix                                             : 0.214666  02  0.038974
215. Pink Sweets Arrange                                 : 0.213254  02  0.037775
216. Sora                                                : 0.210536  02  0.035466
217. Zed Blade / Operation Ragnarok                      : 0.208833  02  0.034020
218. Choplifter (SMS/ARC)                                : 0.208695  02  0.033903
219. Thunder Force V                                     : 0.208299  02  0.033566
220. Ten Desires [Touhou 13]                             : 0.206295  02  0.031864
221. Gekirindan (SAT)                                    : 0.205005  02  0.030769
222. Xeno Fighters R                                     : 0.203798  02  0.029744
223. Phantasmagoria of Flower View [Touhou 9]            : 0.202132  01  0.100000
224. Elemental Master                                    : 0.201382  02  0.027692
225. Time Pilot '84                                      : 0.199973  02  0.026496
226. Gaiares                                             : 0.190061  02  0.018077
227. Space Invaders Extreme 2                            : 0.184596  01  0.085106
228. TwinBee                                             : 0.184465  02  0.013325
229. Tempest                                             : 0.178433  01  0.079872
230. Cotton 2                                            : 0.174960  01  0.076923
230. Power Strike (SMS)                                  : 0.174960  01  0.076923
232. Every Extend Extra                                  : 0.167714  01  0.070769
232. Alltynex 2nd                                        : 0.167714  01  0.070769
234. Detana!! TwinBee                                    : 0.162884  01  0.066667
235. Slap Fight                                          : 0.160469  01  0.064615
236. Mad Planets                                         : 0.159624  01  0.063898
237. Ashura Blaster                                      : 0.156846  01  0.061538
237. Halley Wars (GG)                                    : 0.156846  01  0.061538
239. Geometry Wars 2                                     : 0.153223  01  0.058462
239. Nexzr                                               : 0.153223  01  0.058462
241. Thundercade                                         : 0.149801  01  0.055556
242. RefleX                                              : 0.149600  01  0.055385
243. Explosive Breaker                                   : 0.147653  01  0.053731
244. Exzisus                                             : 0.147185  01  0.053333
244. Thunder Force II                                    : 0.147185  01  0.053333
246. The Guardian Legend                                 : 0.145977  01  0.052308
247. Xevious Arrangement                                 : 0.144770  01  0.051282
248. Gratia - Second Earth                               : 0.144139  01  0.050746
249. Gate of Thunder                                     : 0.144005  01  0.050633
250. Sturmwind                                           : 0.143260  01  0.050000
251. Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams                      : 0.142354  01  0.049231
251. Fast Striker (DC)                                   : 0.142354  01  0.049231
253. Space Manbow                                        : 0.142106  01  0.049020
254. Space Giraffe                                       : 0.140815  01  0.047923
255. Thunder Force AC                                    : 0.138061  01  0.045584
255. Sengoku Ace                                         : 0.138061  01  0.045584
257. Sky Adventure                                       : 0.137109  01  0.044776
257. Super Spacefortress Macross                         : 0.137109  01  0.044776
259. Z-Out                                               : 0.136334  01  0.044118
260. Andro Dunos                                         : 0.133595  01  0.041791
261. Parsec47                                            : 0.133448  01  0.041667
261. Titanion                                            : 0.133448  01  0.041667
263. Aero Fighters 2                                     : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Ordyne                                              : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Papilio                                             : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Lightning Fighter (iOS)                             : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Homura                                              : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Sanvein                                             : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Daioh                                               : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Super Spacefortress Macross II                      : 0.131486  01  0.040000
263. Direct-X                                            : 0.131486  01  0.040000
272. Argus                                               : 0.131112  01  0.039683
272. Black Heart                                         : 0.131112  01  0.039683
274. Gradius Galaxies                                    : 0.128463  01  0.037433
275. Space Bomber                                        : 0.127863  01  0.036923
276. Thunder Blaster                                     : 0.126565  01  0.035821
276. Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth                       : 0.126565  01  0.035821
278. Beamrider                                           : 0.124790  01  0.034314
279. Game Tengoku                                        : 0.121288  01  0.031339
280. Score Rush / MP                                     : 0.120617  01  0.030769
281. Omega Five                                          : 0.120365  01  0.030556
282. Tempest 3000                                        : 0.118244  01  0.028754
283. Star Force (NES)                                    : 0.117439  01  0.028070
284. Slap Fight MD                                       : 0.117095  01  0.027778
285. Choutetsu Brikin'ger - Ironclad                     : 0.116021  01  0.026866
286. Radio Zonde                                         : 0.115787  01  0.026667
287. Rayxanber III                                       : 0.114579  01  0.025641
287. Gyruss                                              : 0.114579  01  0.025641
289. Aleste II                                           : 0.113371  01  0.024615
290. Double Dealing Character [Touhou 14]                : 0.111394  01  0.022936
291. Galaxian                                            : 0.111224  01  0.022792
292. Katakis (C64)                                       : 0.110721  01  0.022364
293. Gradius Rebirth                                     : 0.109748  01  0.021538
293. Air Zonk                                            : 0.109748  01  0.021538
293. Illvelo                                             : 0.109748  01  0.021538
296. Earth Joker: U.N. Defense Force                     : 0.108991  01  0.020896
297. Astebreed                                           : 0.108127  01  0.020161 
297. Warning Forever                                     : 0.108127  01  0.020161
299. Shikigami no Shiro                                  : 0.107937  01  0.020000
299. GunNail                                             : 0.107937  01  0.020000
299. Sonic Boom                                          : 0.107937  01  0.020000
302. Acrobat Mission                                     : 0.106193  01  0.018519
303. XOP Black / Ultra                                   : 0.106125  01  0.018462
304. Darius Force                                        : 0.105045  01  0.017544
305. Uridium 2                                           : 0.103197  01  0.015974
306. Night Raid                                          : 0.103078  01  0.015873
307. Kidou Soukou Dion / Imperium                        : 0.102503  01  0.015385
307. Twin Cobra II / Kyukyoku Tiger II                   : 0.102503  01  0.015385
307. Ryu Jin                                             : 0.102503  01  0.015385
310. Geometry Wars 3                                     : 0.102050  01  0.015000
311. Dark Fusion                                         : 0.101703  01  0.014706
311. Xecutor                                             : 0.101703  01  0.014706
313. Uwabami Breakers                                    : 0.100741  01  0.013889
313. Twin Tiger Shark                                    : 0.100741  01  0.013889
315. Cardinal Sins                                       : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Prehistoric Isle 2                                  : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Rabio Lepus                                         : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Sky Kid                                             : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Change Air Blade                                    : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer                      : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie                         : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Giga Wing Generations                               : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Robo Aleste                                         : 0.100087  01  0.013333
315. Seirei Senshi Spriggan                              : 0.100087  01  0.013333
325. Millipede                                           : 0.098880  01  0.012308 
326. Silpheed (SCD)                                      : 0.097471  01  0.011111
326. Wings of Wor                                        : 0.097471  01  0.011111
326. Zaxxon                                              : 0.097471  01  0.011111
329. Kokuga                                              : 0.096914  01  0.010638
329. Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury                           : 0.096914  01  0.010638
329. Tumiki Fighters                                     : 0.096914  01  0.010638
329. Space Invaders Extreme                              : 0.096914  01  0.010638
333. Aero Chimera                                        : 0.096163  01  0.010000
333. Gemini Wing                                         : 0.096163  01  0.010000
333. Quantized Blaze                                     : 0.096163  01  0.010000
333. TxK                                                 : 0.096163  01  0.010000
337. Samidare                                            : 0.095257  01  0.009231
338. DonPaccin                                           : 0.094901  01  0.008929
339. Stella Vanity                                       : 0.094539  01  0.008621
339. Magical Singular Day -Absolution-                   : 0.094539  01  0.008621
339. eXceed 2nd                                          : 0.094539  01  0.008621
339. Phantasmagoria Trues                                : 0.094539  01  0.008621
343. Commando                                            : 0.093110  01  0.007407
344. Blade Buster                                        : 0.092186  01  0.006623
344. Galmedes                                            : 0.092186  01  0.006623
346. Gun-Nac                                             : 0.091912  01  0.006390
347. Super Darius II                                     : 0.091355  01  0.005917
347. 1943: The Battle of Midway                          : 0.091355  01  0.005917
349. Gallop - Armed Police Unit                          : 0.090685  01  0.005348
350. Dragon Saber (PCE)                                  : 0.088011  01  0.003077
350. Battle Squadron (Amiga)                             : 0.088011  01  0.003077
350. Star Soldier R                                      : 0.088011  01  0.003077

Aaand the full developer voting results:

Code: Select all

##. Game Name                     Total Score|Votes

Top 13:

01. Cave                              24,406  35
02. Raizing / 8ing                    22,745  34
03. Psikyo                            19,922  35
04. Konami                            18,931  32
05. Toaplan / Crux                    18,275  31
06. Taito                             17,909  31
07. Seibu Kaihatsu                    17,882  31
08. Treasure                          12,054  23
09. Irem                              11,382  24
10. Technosoft                        8,771   18
11. Compile                           7,518   17
12. Capcom                            7,206   19
13. Takumi                            6,797   14

Honorable Mention:

14. G.rev                             6,461   14
15. Team Shanghai Alice / ZUN         6,225   11
16. Triangle Service                  4,669   10
17. Namco                             4,597   13
18. Yotsubane                         4,269   07
19. MOSS                              4,071   07
20. NMK                               3,926   07

The Rest:

21. Milestone / Klon                  2,681   04
22. Aicom / Yumekobo                  2,416   04
23. Qute                              2,396   08
24. Visco                             2,310   06
25. Siter Skain                       1,991   05
26. Amusement Makers                  1,832   03
27. Hudson Soft                       1,820   05
28. Alfa System                       1,748   04
29. Success                           1,390   03
30. Nichibutsu                        1,272   03
31. Video System Co.                  1,250   04
32. Sega                              1,233   02
33. Kenta Cho / ABA Games             1,195   04
34. Skonec                            1,194   03
35. UPL                               1,178   03
36. Kaneko                            1,084   02
37. Williams                          1,047   02
38. Masaya / NCS                      1,022   02
39. Astro Port                        990     03
40. Endless-Shirafu                   836     02
41. Natsume                           734     02
42. Sting                             726     01
43. Orange Juice                      724     02
44. Alpha Denshi / ADK                682     02
45. 5pb.                              675     01
46. Red Entertainment                 630     02
47. Famibe no Yosshin                 621     01
48. x.x                               562     01
49. Tecmo                             480     02
49. Llamasoft                         480     02
51. Jaleco                            410     01
52. Atlus                             377     01
53. Temperance Lance                  370     01
54. Sky Think Systems                 347     01
55. Xona Games                        320     01
56. Rake In Grass                     279     01
57. Gustav                            272     01
57. Manfred Trenz                     272     01
59. Midway                            251     01
59. Pixel                             251     01
61. SNK                               232     01
61. Warashi                           232     01
61. Atari                             232     01
64. Squaresoft                        218     01
65. Allumer                           215     01
66. FACE                              212     01
66. Artesneit                         212     01
68. Wolf Team                         200     01
Live to fly, fly to live, it's all very orthodox
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Anyone know if there's any top X lists from the Japanese shmup community? I know I saw a French one at one point, but I can't find it again. I'm just really curious of the similarities and differences between the preferences of different shmup communities.

Also: Thank you so much for all of the hard work, Nifty!
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The French did it only once in 2012 and this was the result (over 70 voters):

Top 15 taking each voter's individual ranking into account;
1. Dodonpachi (152 points)
2. Thunder Force III (135 points)
3. R-Type (128 points)
4. Gradius V (126 points)
5. Thunder Force IV (119 points)
6. Radiant Silvergun (118 points)
7. Mushihime-sama Futari Black Label (114 points)
8. Ikaruga (93 points)
8. Ketsui (93 points)
8. Mushihime-sama Futari (93 points)
11. Layer Section (88 points)
12. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (86 points)
12. Under Defeat (86 points)
14. Super Aleste (81 points)
15. ESPGaluda II (75 points)
Full voted games list without individual ranking at the top of this page;
http://forum.shmup.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16812