STG Weekly: Cave Shmupmania Recap

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Mino

Re: STG Weekly Episode #78: Touhou 14 - Double Dealing Chara

Post by Mino »

This will be fun.

The hype is real! ;3
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Great job on the commentary, Mino. You were very enthusiastic and fun to listen to.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Welcome Mino. Nice enthusiastic commentary.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Mino

Post by Mino »

Thanks so much guys! I had a blast being on there!
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Mino,

Thanks so much for coming on and being a guest for STGWeekly. Hoping you can make it to more eps in the future!

Cheers,
Frenetic
Mino wrote:Thanks so much guys! I had a blast being on there!
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly Episode #79: Cho Ren Sha 68K

Post by STGWeekly »

OP updated with information about upcoming episode #79: Cho Ren Sha 68K!

We'll be discussing Normal and Hard modes with the help of Icarus and Squire Grooktook, who have also provided replays. If anyone else would like to join us for commentary, or you have suggestions for replays, please PM Softdrink 117 or post in this thread.

I think this is gonna be a really cool episode -- this game is awesome, and this ep has been a long time coming.
-Softdrink on behalf of STG Weekly
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY CHO REN SHA 68K :D
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BIL

Post by BIL »

AEXCERRENT!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Will you be showing the Windows version or X68k version? IIRC the Windows version runs a little faster.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
mnneurope

Post by mnneurope »

YES! YES! YESSS! SRY if below pic is too text graphic :D Im just really excited :D

cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Have you tried setting the executable to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode?

You'll usually need to do this to get sound to work properly on modern systems.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You can also use a program like RunFirst or set the affinity through task manager to force the game to run on one CPU if you've got multiple cores. That also fixes the sound issues.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Will there be talk and/or videos about loops only accessible from secret menu?
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Ikazu-san wrote:Will there be talk and/or videos about loops only accessible from secret menu?
I have not attempted to 2-all them, but I have fooled around with the extra loops with stage select, so I could talk about those a bit.

IIRC, you actually can access them without the secret menu. You just need to 2-all the game, and then hit "continue" after you return to the title screen. That should send you to the next loop.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Squire Grooktook wrote:IIRC, you actually can access them without the secret menu. You just need to 2-all the game, and then hit "continue" after you return to the title screen. That should send you to the next loop.
I've heard the same as well. Maybe it's also worth talking about the "Show Time!!" mode accessible through the secret menu (set stage to F and press Continue), as it contains enemies not seen in the rest of the game.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Yeah, I was going to mention that. The stage is short, so I was thinking I'd dig up (or create) a replay to show them off.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thanks for having me on the show again!
Fricking Skype making me sound like a robot. >_<
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of those shooters that's always a pleasure to simply watch in motion. Loved the commentary as well, glad it finally got its due. :smile:
STGWeekly

Re: STG Weekly @ Anime Expo Saturday, July 4th 1:00 p.m.

Post by STGWeekly »

Going to Anime Expo? Join the STGWeekly crew at their panel!

SEE Softdrink live and in person. Watch the light reflect in his glasses! Revel in his awesome dynamic video presentation.

HEAR GDLKScrub's Fighting Game Community stories and his personal journey to finally see light of shmups.

TASTE Frenetic's sweat as he practices and powers through Touhou: Perfect Cherry Blossom Normal Mode.

SMELL the fear and excitement as the audience watches the STGWeekly crew maneuver through curtain after curtain of bullet fire.

FEELing is optional.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

Can you guys upload the podcast in iTunes so we can download it/subscribe through the apple iPod app? Thanks!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Aww Yeah, anyways, couldn't you use the thread from last year's, it would make a good necro-revival, lol.

But anyways, will be there! X3
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Please come up and introduce yourself NeoStrayCat! Great idea, I'll include last year's thread in the title post!
NeoStrayCat wrote:Aww Yeah, anyways, couldn't you use the thread from last year's, it would make a good necro-revival, lol.

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Hello all,

has there been or will there be an episode focused on the almighty RECCA?

Cheers,

Minty.
More Bromances = safer people
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Frenetic wrote:Please come up and introduce yourself NeoStrayCat! Great idea, I'll include last year's thread in the title post!
NeoStrayCat wrote:Aww Yeah, anyways, couldn't you use the thread from last year's, it would make a good necro-revival, lol.

I may, I might, but I dunno, lol. (Will come as from my ava pic with the plush.)
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I can't imagine I'll attend, but if it so happens I do, then I'll stop by.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Kick butt today guys!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Alright, results guys, STG Weekly guys are cool, lol. Got their poster from them! X3

Anyways, as usual, shmup history, then TH7 - PCB last boss practice run by Frenetic, good, then SoftDrink on Mushi-1/Maniac, didn't get the 1CC clear, but went through up to mid st.5, you did good man, almost, but yeah! X3
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing the recording of the panel!
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Whew, the STGWeekly crew presented an hour and a half panel chockful of info, history, and *2* demos. Though we had our share of problems, we piloted through them to roaring applause.

We filled the room to capacity, people sat transfixed, and DID NOT LEAVE the room. Hopefully we've made some shmup converts.

Big Kudos to

Softdrink: For creating the flyers, cards, stream, and a great Mushihimesama Maniac demo.
Joeybeta: For his and the Youkaiverse team's help with handing out tickets and flyers.
GDLKScrub: For his GDLK commentary and explanation of game mechanics.
culian: For helping out with the panel and providing much needed moral support!

We're pretty drained so the replay won't be coming out for some months or so, maybe even after Touhoucon in September. Of main concern is getting our store up to get STGWeekly merchandise out to you, planning for Touhoucon, and ultimately the STG@Animation on Display shmup convention in February of next year.

Cheers,
--the F-man
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

To second Frenetic's post, we had a really great time and I think it went really well. More info and pics coming soon (hopefully).

A sad note about recording and replays though:
We had problems with every aspect of our recording setup. The videography of the panel... didn't work out the way I had hoped. Things are out of frame, out of focus, or over/underexposed. We are missing video of entire sections of the panel (the demos for example). Our local recording solution worked for Frenetic's demo of PCB, but something went wrong while recording my Mushi Maniac demo and the result is a corrupted .mp4 file (which, due to limitations of mp4 filestructure and encoding, may or ma not be salvageable even with many hours of effort). At least the sound turned out okay.

I will do my absolute best to piece together some records, but I honestly cannot guarantee that we will be able to produce a recording of the whole panel the same way we did last year. I should be able to pull together stuff for the first half of the panel or so, but I don't know about the second half. :cry:

Overall though I think it was a huge success! As much as I'm bummed about the technical issues (and the fact that I failed to clear, grr), I really think this was a massive step up from last year. :D
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.