Twinkle Star Sprites now on Steam!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: Twinkle Start Sprites (possibly) coming to Steam!

Post by Shepardus »

Observer wrote:
Remembrance wrote:Pulstar is already in the bundle right now.
Oh god. Buying this right now!
Since you're picking it up, can you let us know how the Twinkle Star Sprites port is? Is it decent, and does it (miraculously) have online play?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Just bought this (hard to resist). IDK about online play yet (though I doubt it), but the linux version of TSS (haven't tried win ver yet) comes with a rom. Seemed kinda laggy using the provided executable, but presumably would run just fine in Shmupmame or other version (I tried it in the latest (maybe) version of UME in linux). Also would probably run fine on mamehub or wtv for online multiplayer (I should really install that one of these days.)

Also comes with a neogeo binary zip file, but I did not try it, except using the executable that came with the download
Haven't touched the steam keys yet.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
donluca

Post by donluca »

Those are games to play in your browser, so my guess is that it's just an emulator running on a web script.
Observer

Post by Observer »

You can also download and install the games locally, no need of a browser.

Unfortunately, they are dotEmu through and through. Games run fine for me but they have no online at all. Interesting to see Humble logo in the DRM-free builds too.

HOWEVER, these seem to be ROMs, like, the ROMs some are used to and you can perhaps plug these into another frontend that supports online. Either way, a legal way to have these is nice.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I should point out that the Steam key games are actual proper ports while the drm free stuff if DotEmu jobs. That said it does appear that the roms are in the download so you don't have to use DotEmu's awful emu-wrapper.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

So, majority of these are just straight ports, not on steam, and DRM-Free. Well...cool, I guess, but yeah, some of these titles will make it to that service anyways.

But this is a nice surprise...for now. At least you can demo some of them, lol.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Not actually ports, just emulation (minus the steam ones). Unfortunately, TSS has no steam port (in this bundle, anyway). On the plus side, the DRM free versions have roms that run in MAME in tact (I only tested TSS, though).
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

I see then, well, whatever works I guess.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Whoa, there's a Pulstar on steam..

that ain't pulstar :?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280460/
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
MathU

Post by MathU »

Well color me surprised, they finally ended up removing the Steam DRM from that Metal Slug 3 port. :D

Curious that King of Fighters 1998 and 2002 are locked to Steam while everything else isn't though.

Ooh neat, Shock Troopers is in this too. :P
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
The Coop

Re: N-G Bundle on Humble (TSS included! Also, N-G Steam Port

Post by The Coop »

I grabbed that bundle as well, namely for Garou, Samurai Shodown V Special, and Pulstar. Everything else is gravy :)
GSK

Post by GSK »

Just so people know: the games in this bundle are DotEmu jobs, minus KOF '98UM & KOF '02UM which are the existing Steam ports by Code Mystics.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Why can't Pulstar be the pay-whatever title... I gotta budget too tightly to go to the average. :( I own the other NG games in some form via PS2 or Dreamcast, but never Pulstar.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
MathU

Post by MathU »

GSK wrote:Just so people know: the games in this bundle are DotEmu jobs, minus KOF '98UM & KOF '02UM which are the existing Steam ports by Code Mystics.
Would they just give up this charade already and start selling actual ROM licenses?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

MathU wrote:
GSK wrote:Just so people know: the games in this bundle are DotEmu jobs, minus KOF '98UM & KOF '02UM which are the existing Steam ports by Code Mystics.
Would they just give up this charade already and start selling actual ROM licenses?
They basically are. From what I've been reading, the games in this Bundle are just non-renamed ROMs (both game and Neo-Geo bios) with a DotEmu front end. Others have been plopping those files into various emulators and playing them just fine, so it sounds like DotEmu went the Taito Legends 1+2 route.

And really, for all the imperfections that DotEmu stuff has, it's still better than the alternative of spending thousands of dollars to legally get these games. The aural and visual emulation isn't perfect, and yeah, MAME does it better, but the emulation is serviceable. And hey, in a week, we'll get a few more games added to the pile. With any luck, they'll be Blazing Star, Last Blade 2 and Samurai Shodown III.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The emulators are stolen from Gametap and the ROM files are ancient ROM sets, and the NeoGeo BIOS archive includes every version of Unibios. If DotEmu was going for the sloppiest and least legal job possible, they sure achieved it. I recommend avoiding the thing entirely unless you really want to not feel bad about downloading the ROMs, because this is worse in every way.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Guess they haven't changed.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
DotEmu

Post by DotEmu »

Hello,

Here are our official clarifications about the 25th anniversary Neo Geo Humble Bundle project:
http://www.dotemu.com/Letter/NeoGeo.html

The DotEmu Team
Retrogaming is not dead!
zuq_

Post by zuq_ »

No reconfigurable control options nor the ability to choose which controller you want to set for each player. Games run at incorrect speeds if display refresh rate is higher than 60hz. Good effort, just as expected.
The schnitzel beacons.
zuq_ ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ @zuquidity
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

A single front end for these games would be nice as well. Sure, separate installers are fine to install what you want, but having a front end like the Capcom Arcade release on X360 and PS3 would bring the package together nicely. Yeah games run too fast on a 144Hz monitor, have to set to 60Hz to play. Some scanline options (exists in Steam Metal Slug version at least) would help too.

I supported it, mostly as a cheap way to get the Steam releases. I hope once the issues are ironed out that more releases can see the light of day. I'm sure a lot of it is licensing (Taito for Bust-A-Move, for example).
MathU

Post by MathU »

DotEmu wrote:Hello,

Here are our official clarifications about the 25th anniversary Neo Geo Humble Bundle project:

The DotEmu Team
Do you think you could ever fix the stability issues in IREM Arcade Hits? I am still quite interested in that if those can be worked out.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

MathU wrote:
DotEmu wrote:Hello,

The DotEmu Team
Do you think you could ever fix the stability issues in IREM Arcade Hits? I am still quite interested in that if those can be worked out.
Don't hold your breath. I was on their forums back when it was being actively patched. They promised a 1.2 patch that would fix the stability problem, add the Japanese version of Undercover Cops, and all of that. After a long wait, I finally asked what the hell was going on, and was flat out told they wouldn't be patching the game anymore, and that the new patch was dropped. I ended up being refunded because the game wasn't playable due to the stability problem, and that was the end of that. I sincerely doubt they're going to have a change of heart nearly four years later.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm really curious what is up with G1M2, who was responsible for Gametap's emulation, the Data East Wii compilation, and some SNK compilations. Their website hasn't been updated since 2011. I'm not surprised that Gametap's emulation has switched hands considering some of the issues of that site and it's new ownership.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

You must be seriously allergic to money if you biy this instead of just firing up mame
genetik

Post by genetik »

spmbx wrote:You must be seriously allergic to money if you biy this instead of just firing up mame
The 3 slugs and 2 kof are steam keys. Those are proper ports, fully playable, and totally worth it. It's worth the 10 bucks just for that. The dotemu stuff are very barebone and crappy emulators.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
MathU

Post by MathU »

Wait I'm confused. Are the Metal Slug games locked to Steam DRM or not?
Danny

Post by Danny »

MathU wrote:Wait I'm confused. Are the Metal Slug games locked to Steam DRM or not?
Look on the humblebundle page and find out...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MathU wrote:Wait I'm confused. Are the Metal Slug games locked to Steam DRM or not?
Telling from the page, 1, X, and 3 have both DRM free and Steam versions. 2 doesn't have a Steam version. The Steam page says they are still done by DotEmu.
MathU

Post by MathU »

So the bundle is actually selling two different versions of the game, and the one you get from a Steam key happens to be locked to Steam DRM?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MathU wrote:So the bundle is actually selling two different versions of the game, and the one you get from a Steam key happens to be locked to Steam DRM?
That's how it worked when I bought Volgarr from humble bundle.