TRP-STGT 2014 Conversation Week 1: Raiden Fighters

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DocHauser

Re: TRP-STGT 2014 Conversation Week 1: Raiden Fighters

Post by DocHauser »

Sakurei wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:
Sakurei wrote:I don't know why people think it's a good idea to present a game a lot of people have never played and put it in a scoring tournament when the scoring entirely is based off of obscure shit that you have to find, but the game gives you no indication whatsoever that these things even exist. That makes the game incredibly unfun to learn, not to mention that we only have a week to do it. It may not be an awful game in itself, but it is an awful game for this format of tournament.
If you have never played RF before you are a bad person, and you should be glad that trap15 has decided to enlighten you.

I learned to build a max chain by early stage 2 in this game within 1 day of play. Try harder.
Unfortunately due to the format I'm forced to learn the game in, it makes me dislike it very easily. It was no different when I played dimahoo in that one tournament, regardless of whether this is supposed to be "enlightening" or not. Raiden Fighters goes into the corner with the other games I consider awful.

Congratulations. Now what? You having maxed our your chain on your first day of playing is of no relevance to me whatsoever. It says nothing about your or my own capabilities. Maybe I'm awful and it would take me a month to do so? I do not believe to have let out any information as to how much I have already played the game, what makes you think I am not already trying hard? What makes you believe I haven't already spent hours on trying to learn the early stages? With as little information as you have "try harder" is a terrible way to try to encourage someone. Not to mention that I do not feel very inclined to put in much more effort into a game I have already decided to never play again after this week, possibly even before it is over. I've told my teammates before the tournament that I have other things I'd like to do rather than participate in this tournament, but they insisted and I agreed that I'd play if I could stand the game. Seeing how this turned out after day 1, I am sure you can imagine the amount of time I am willing to put into this game.
It really isn't as hard as you're making out. If all you want to do is max out the medals in the early stages then you need to know the positions of 4 micluses (micli?) in the first two stages. You don't need the fairies to max out the medals, so don't worry about them for now. Both stages are really short, ~ 2 mins. So that's 4 things you need to remember in 4 minutes. That doesn't sound so bad, does it?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I'm beginning to enjoy this game a lot, after trying harder ;]. It's actually hella addictive.

Anyone wanna share the super hidden secret of how to defend houses other than bombing? I'm not quite sure what's happening in replays i've seen.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

The scoring system is completely awful but the adrenaline from zipping around the screen in the Judgespear is awesome :)

As usual, Trap 15 trolls half the forum and embraces the other with his game choices :P

Dimahoo next I hope.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Blinge wrote:Anyone wanna share the super hidden secret of how to defend houses other than bombing? I'm not quite sure what's happening in replays i've seen.
Haven't tried it yet, but you can probably shove a slave between the house and the tank and let it soak up the bullet.

Loving everyone's reactions so far.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Are the smaller slave versions actually better?

I have seen superplays both with them and without, and they are so small I'm vaguely worried I'll lose track of them on the background.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I never realized Fighters was so polarizing.

The scoring system is.... memorize things, like a lot of shooters. Except, you can really choose when and where you want to score, and you can cheese out something half-decent just by understanding the medals, and maxing em out on stage 2. Then you can just survival, and grab medals, about as basic as is gets.

You have a week, don't blindly copy a WR-level superplay, especially if you can't even clear and grab max medals for most of the game. Find where the risk/reward is for you. This game is fine for a week-long competition, and it seems like a fairly tame choice, considering this is TRP-STGT.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Illyrian wrote:Are the smaller slave versions actually better?

I have seen superplays both with them and without, and they are so small I'm vaguely worried I'll lose track of them on the background.
They're way easier to use and are generally better. I think the only non-slave people consider using really is Judge Spear, and I personally think he's too fast. Which is another thing that's great about the slaves; they're all the same except the speed (and color, I guess) is determined by which ship's slave you're using.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Aren't the bombs different too?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Ah yes, yes they are. The bomb is the same as the parent ship. But there's only like 3 different bombs in the game anyways, so not a huge deal.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Only issue I have in this game playing a Slave ship is losing track of which one is actually me lol

I think of all the normal ships, I actually like using Endeavor the best
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I think i'll definitely come back to this after the tourney and try and clear it survival style with one of the original ships.
wheres ma damn extends!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

No extends! :P

Scoreboard updated.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Then it's time for your next arrange mode, trap...

RF: Mr not-Stoic
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Blinge, we all know you'll have the game cleared by the end of the week, no need to put up a front :P
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

come here dunpeal, a huge mandatory kiss is approaching fast..

Haha, nah man. I gotta work the rest of this week :|
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Illyrian wrote: Dimahoo next I hope.
Dear God no.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

alamone

Post by alamone »

I'm sitting this one out, but y'all should use the normal ships like real men haha.
I uploaded my ancient Aegis replay to youtube, it's not a clear but I do make it to stage7 at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jfZOS7j4-Q
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I don't think this semen slurping shmup is for me guys
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:
Illyrian wrote: Dimahoo next I hope.
Dear God no.
Well it can't happen anyway as the newest game in this tournament is from 1997 (I think that's what trap15 said).

It would be a classic choice for him though, completely polarizing :P I'd love it myself though!
Eno

Post by Eno »

I really feel like trying to hit Judge Spear after a few cans and lose tens of credits sloppily crashing into kamikazes. Not that that doesn't happen already sometimes :|
trap15 wrote:
Blinge wrote:Anyone wanna share the super hidden secret of how to defend houses other than bombing? I'm not quite sure what's happening in replays i've seen.
Haven't tried it yet, but you can probably shove a slave between the house and the tank and let it soak up the bullet.
When I tried that all I got was a destroyed slave and a blown-up home. I think I saw both bullets penetrating through slave, but it may be the case that it blocked only one and the other went through.
RS Kusoscores | Avatar taken from xkcd
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Raiden Fighters: 12 Seconds a Slave
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Illyrian wrote:
Dimahoo next I hope.
Id like metal black myself.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

You can definitely defend the houses with your slaves, but the positioning is strict in order to block both bullets and probably if one bullet destroys the slave the other goes through. Bombing seems altogether better. Or you can be cool like me and pick Endeavor 8)
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

After playing this game more, and discovering the miclus/fairies and other stupid crap, I've begun to hate this game. Just imagine yourself being in an arcade, you are a lone shmupper, with no one to tell you the arbitrary bat shit insane Miclus/fairy system that is in effect. I know people hate chaining in DDP, but atleast you know how score works, the whole fairy thing just doesnt register for me. I've come to the conclusion that this whole game is a cheat code.

To use a good ship, cheat code. To use a slave of the good ship, cheat code. To score (i.e. fairies and miclus), cheat code. Autofire? cheat code. Random stages and Stage select? Cheat code. I'm surprised we aren't allowed to use game genie with this game.

And that's what scoring is in this game. No one could dare argue against it. It's arbitrary secrets that defy logic, that you are forced to find online, just like cheats. Things like "float here for several seconds" or "paint this ship with your ship". Reminds me of when I'd scour gaming magazines for some cheats. Also reminds me of that whole "ride the tornado" thing in castlevania simon's quest that the AVGN covered.

I'm hoping for space invaders next. Only that could cleanse the dirty fairy sluttery of RF. Oh, and one last note, I think Gun Dogs is a more fitting title for this game. Seibu shouldn't have changed it.
CptRansom

Post by CptRansom »

mastermx wrote:dirty fairy sluttery of RF
:lol:
<trap15> I only pick high quality games
<trap15> I'm just pulling shit out of my ass tbh
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Just imagine yourself being in an arcade, you are a lone shmupper, with no one to tell you the arbitrary bat shit insane Miclus/fairy system that is in effect.
Except this situation won't ever come up since no matter how alone you are (and if you are playing in an arcade, you're not alone at all), you have at least an internet connection at home.

I'm enjoying the game, but even more so I'm enjoying that people find out that shmups are memorizers during this STGT. Good stuff.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

mastermx wrote: It's arbitrary secrets that defy logic, that you are forced to find online, just like cheats.
Guys.. no one tell him about Raizing o_o
Plasmo wrote:I'm enjoying the game, but even more so I'm enjoying that people find out that shmups are memorizers during this STGT. Good stuff.
loool, preach brother.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Plasmo wrote: I'm enjoying the game, but even more so I'm enjoying that people find out that shmups are memorizers during this STGT. Good stuff.
This has nothing to do with memorization. I love memorizers myself tbh. But RF is not one, you can't memorise something secret. You have to search for it. The idea of a scoring system that relies on an Internet connection is not appealing. That or of course try and find the secrets on your own (oh so fun -_-)
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

As if anybody would ever try to figure out the chains in DDP by themselves. Or any other shmup for that reason.

Watching a superplay is like the first thing you usually do, especially when it comes to STGT where you only have one week. Everybody knows all the secrets of RF already, they are not secrets anymore.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

mastermx wrote:I must say this being my first stgt I'm excited by the challenge. I'm also intrigued what games trap will give us. I have a feeling garegga or some other yagawa will be in there :P