How long did it take you to get your 1 CC's?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Obscura

Re: How long did it take you to get your 1 CC's?

Post by Obscura »

There seems to be some doublethink going on here.

DTP posts: "Oh, it's just raw skill, most people don't need that long, you just suck".

I post: "Natural ability has nothing to do with it."

Which one is it, guys?
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Obscura wrote:There seems to be some doublethink going on here.

DTP posts: "Oh, it's just raw skill, most people don't need that long, you just suck".

Which one is it, guys?
eh?
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Guys, take it easy... DTP is right when he says he's just stating his opinion... I don't get why you have to be so offended by someone giving up about shmups.

DTP, I've told it to you before, If you don't like shmups then stop playing then, at least for a while.

It's been more than a week already since I've last played one. I've been playing Victoria 2. You don't have to obsses over then to clear then.

Play shmups however you may like then.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

stop posting and start playing
moh

Post by moh »

they're just video games.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

O. Van Bruce wrote:Guys, take it easy... DTP is right when he says he's just stating his opinion... I don't get why you have to be so offended by someone giving up about shmups.

DTP, I've told it to you before, If you don't like shmups then stop playing then, at least for a while.
It's really not that easy to just walk away from something you've sunk 100 hours into.

At this point, I barely remember the last time I had any fun playing DOJ. I don't fire it up these days expecting to enjoy myself. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:
Obscura wrote:There seems to be some doublethink going on here.

Which one is it, guys?
eh?
What he put in quotes is what tends to be the response to X posting.

Anyway, you're all wrong. How good you are at shmups depends entirely on whether you have "Touhou is Harder" in your signature. There is no other deciding factor whatsoever, and if you disagree, you're wrong.

I'm being sarcastic, in case you didn't get that.

God this thread has become dumb.
Paradigm
Banned User

Post by Paradigm »

DrTrouserPlank wrote:That's really the problem. You are trying to achieve something that for session upon session, hour upon hour you aren't achieving, and that's just no fun.
It's called practice.

Either do it or stfu.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

TheSyllogist wrote:
Skykid wrote:Never used a practice mode in my life.
Why not?
Dunno, just never had the inclination. I got most of my 1cc's on PCB and whatnot, no practice modes available. I also just like the classic 1 credit per go progression, a result of growing up in arcades.

I'm not saying there's anything bad with practice modes, quite the opposite, and I should probably take advantage of them. But I don't.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

KitesAreFun

Post by KitesAreFun »

There can be no denying that some people (perhaps through some unidentified genetic drift) have an innate ability to play 2D shmups better than others with the same time and experience. That's life.

This is so obviously true, I'm surprised it's even being called into question, if it has at all. I just did a cursory glance at this thread, so...
qmish

Post by qmish »

This thread, showers you with people who 1cc'ed this and that under 10 hrs or less

On the other hand when i was saying how i burnt out a bit after barely achieving pre-pre-last stage of some game after 20+ hours, somebody told me "nah, it can be 1000 hours instead".
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

oh boy i'm reading some of these posts and seeing the names appearing here and i'm not sure this thread needed to be dug up from its grave

Just don't worry about 1CCs, play games for the fun of playing them rather than some promise of accomplishment (if that's what you're after, there are plenty of more worthwhile things to pursue). And if you really want to play well, make sure you get enough sleep. I can't believe that hasn't been stated here.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
qmish

Post by qmish »

I think that would be ok to, like, aim to 1cc/loop/hi-score/milk/whatever you feel to achieveat one game and just have silly fun with others?

i found this thread when searching debates on skill vs. practice on this forum though, alongside with legendary "Why don't you try hard?" thread.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I'm usually juggling multiple games at any given time, similar to what you said. It may be less "efficient" due to lack of focus, but it's more fun that way (and thus "efficient" for what I actually want from the games). Besides, burning out on a game is a pretty ineffective way to play, for any purpose.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I have a habit of reaching the last stage in a game and moving on to something else. Months later I'll go back and try for the clear.
My lord, I have come for you.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Ive started to record my 1cc runs.
When I get the 1cc in one game I move on to the next one.

I got my first Gun Frontier 1cc after some weeks of sporadic playing....now I am struggling to get a No Miss.
...I just have to die once all the time, so much RNG.... :(
Jidad
Banned User

Post by Jidad »

I am new to genre but am hoping for 1cc in a couple months of dodonpachi (1st loop).
BitGid

Post by BitGid »

I'm just starting out on the shmup path at the ripe old age of 35. Under Defeat and Raiden IV Overkill (PS3) take up most of my time at the moment, and I'm fascinated by Ketsui, even though I don't own it yet.

Last edited by BitGid on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Unfortunately, I haven't really kept track of hours, but R-Type (1 loop) took me a little less than 3 weeks, I think, and I think about the same, maybe a little longer than 3 weeks for Triggerheart Exelica. This was with pretty frequent and sometimes pretty long sessions, so I'm sure the hours would actually be quite high. Maybe estimate around 30-40 for R-Type, we'll say 50-60 for Triggerheart.

It's kind of interesting how much longer Triggerheart took, however. I chalk this down to both it being a lot harder to actually memorize for some reason (It seems like R-Type was really designed with memorization in mind, even though I wouldn't really describe most of the first R-Type as a memorizer. Probably just the... 6th stage, I think it was? the one with all the platforms and enemies that circle them. Maybe also the 7th stage and the bosses.), and also the fact that I learned R-Type in MAME, so I was able to practice with save states, while I was restricted to whole-stage practice with Triggerheart (Xbox 360 version). Also, I have noticed that I'm really bad at using bombs properly, so I imagine that compared to most people something that allows for bomb spam like Triggerheart is going to be relatively harder for me.

As a side note, stage select practice in THE meant that I was unable to really properly memorize the bosses as much as I would have liked to and had to rely a lot more on bombs and raw dodging there.

I'm very envious of all the people who are like "most 1ccs take me about 5 hours" or wtv.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

My very first 1cc (Gradius V) took me a whole month of almost every day practice. Once you get the first one I feel it's a lot easier to get the next one.

These days I don't keep track of how many actual days it takes me to finish a game, but MAME and Steam clocks show that it usually happens around the 25hr mark. Some can take less (but not many), others can take way longer.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Ruldra wrote:Once you get the first one I feel it's a lot easier to get the next one.
Very true. Mars Matrix took me several months. Probably hundreds of hours. It's not that much harder than the other games I've 1cced.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

LordHypnos wrote:
Ruldra wrote:Once you get the first one I feel it's a lot easier to get the next one.
Very true. Mars Matrix took me several months. Probably hundreds of hours. It's not that much harder than the other games I've 1cced.
No doubt. This is 1000% true.

Under Defeat took me 66 hours, Mars Matrix (GO PLAY IT) took me a fair amount, but not quite as long. Maybe 45-50? But that could be serious revisionist history since it only keeps total score and not time. Progear by comparision took me far far less. Thunder Force IV, my most recent shooter, while I haven't cleared it I was 80% through it after maybe three to five hours.
My lord, I have come for you.