shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:04 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm 

I think whether the game loops or not is just based on the region of the board. Japan is 1 loop and many (most?) other regions are 2 loops, I want to say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 am 

Plasmo: nicovideo is working fine...At work. Whatever, thank you very much!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 pm 

I don't think anyone answered this yet. But to those that played Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours, what was the point of Kyokkuho? It acts like a bonus stage and it's only unlocked after clearing every area in the game, but despite its long length, it doesn't feel like a grand finale at all. Heck, the ending for that stage even says the Belsar are still loose. But Suriaha has that definitive grand finale compared to Kyokkuho.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am 

Raiden III is currently $1.49 on gog. Big fan of IV - how does it compare?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 am 

It's like 4 but 1 less

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 pm 

What’s the fastest way to max out my money in Mars Matrix? I’ve been playing the hell out of the game lately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 pm 

I know I can't be the only one, how many other people choose a ship/character based largely on its color? For example I've been trying to learn DDP DOJ and I gravitated almost immediately to type B, just because it's green and there is no way I'm ever going to second guess myself "is that a bullet?" in the heat of the moment. The first DDP, both type C and type A make me nervous with how the ship colors are practically bullet colors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 pm 

I choose characters by their cuteness, does that count?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 pm 

I do have issues with ship/character visibility sometimes but it's thankfully not too frequent. The worst case for me is BWR where I can only play with red ship versions (so I also have to stick to BWR+). I even have my own nicknames for them - Hatred, Despair and Fury :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:27 am 

Not entirely a question, so much as venting. Does anyone prefer smaller indie/doujin games and almost feel guilty about it, or deep down like you're wasting your time? There is this nagging feeling I should be trying to learn a Cave game, even though I don't enjoy Cave much beyond simply appreciating them. I've been trying to learn a bit of Daioujou lately and, while I do enjoy it more than any other Cave game I've played, I can't tell if I genuinely want to play it or if there's some weird sense of obligation to "clear a Cave game." Then there's the feeling that these lesser known games "don't count", because if it's not Cave, Raizing, or Touhou, people generally don't seem to care whatever accomplishment you've managed. It's the most pointlessly insecure I've ever felt about a hobby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 am 

The "smaller" games are where much of the creativity and passion lie, so preferring them is not at all unreasonable.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:54 am 

That's a very familiar feeling for me, coupled with "not playing enough games to count as a good shmupper" thing. But the bottom line is that it's okay. You can appreciate many games because they're well-made or because someone else can pull off pretty awesome stuff in them. But you yourself have only so much time, and getting competent at a game needs a lot of it, so you can stick with only a certain number of them. And there's no shame in picking those that you enjoy more. Besides, even the most obscure games have people that care about them and will be happy to see someone else making progress. (And even if it has none at all then it means you can be an undisputed champion of that one so win-win 8) )

As a personal anecdote, I've been playing Touhou games for years but my progress eventually ground to a halt. I've barely had any new achievements throughout the last year but I still kept trying to play just because I felt I'd be less of a fan if I wouldn't. It's only this year that I've let go of them and gave other shmups a serious try, and I can say it was for the best. And I'm still just as big a fan of every other aspect of that franchise. So yeah, play what you actually want to play, not what you think you should.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:05 pm 

Play what gratifies you the most. No need for obligations here, self-imposed or otherwise. This goes for games and hobbies in general imo. Image Don't wanna go all Bob Flanagan and hit your wiener with a meat tenderiser, metaphorically speaking.

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117