shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:14 am 

Can someone please explain or link me to a tutorial on how to record replays in mame. I use the regular mame 0.192.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:35 am 

ReSe2k wrote:
Can someone please explain or link me to a tutorial on how to record replays in mame. I use the regular mame 0.192.

Recording an input file in MAME is achieved with the command-line flag "-rec", and playing it back is done with "-pb". So assuming you have a rom "battlntsj" and you want to record an input file to "recording.inp", you can run the game with "mame battlntsj -rec recording.inp" and play it back with "mame battlntsj -pb recording.inp". Replace the rom name with the one you want to run (but of course battlntsj is the one you want to run :wink:), and "mame" with the executable name if it's something different like "mame64.exe".

By default this writes to/reads from the "inp" subfolder in the folder where you have MAME; this can be changed with the "input_directory" setting in mame.ini or the "-input_directory" flag.

If you're unfamiliar with the command-prompt, you can create a text file with the command as its contents, and save it in the MAME directory with extension ".bat" (assuming you're using Windows; use ".sh" for Mac/Linux), then double click on it in Explorer to run the command. On Windows, you can also create a shortcut by right-clicking on the .exe, clicking "Create shortcut," and editing its properties (right-click on the shortcut and click Properties) to add the rom name and flags to the "Target."

Additionally, you can write to a video with the -aviwrite flag (default directory is "snap", same as screenshots). This eats up a ton of disk space and performance can be choppy because the video output is uncompressed, so you should record a replay with -rec and then use this flag along with -pb to write a video while playing back that replay; that way if it slows down it doesn't affect you actually playing the game (the exported video won't slow down except for emulated slowdown, no matter how slowly MAME runs while recording that video). For example:

mame battlntsj -rec replay.inp
mame battlntsj -pb replay.inp -aviwrite video.avi

Also you'll need to run the video through an external program to compress it if you plan on uploading it anywhere. I use FFmpeg (another command-line program), usually with a command like:

ffmpeg -i battlntsj.avi -pix_fmt yuv420p -sws_flags neighbor -vf scale=540:720 battlntsj_rescaled.mp4

which uses mostly default compression settings and scales to a resolution of 540x720 (YouTube requires that a video be at least 720 pixels tall for 60fps) using nearest-neighbor scaling.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm 

I think it's easier to just record it with OBS personally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:58 pm 

Using record/playback (and then -aviwrite) is a little more complicated but is the most flexible solution overall. Besides, you can combine it with OBS just the same if you don't want to deal with -aviwrite ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 pm 

pegboy wrote:
I think it's easier to just record it with OBS personally.

Recording an input file has very little overhead (both processing and storage) compared to recording with OBS. I have .bat files set up for every game I regularly play, so I all have to do is launch the .bat file instead of mame.exe and it'll automatically launch the game and record an input file for the session, which I can later export as video if the run goes well. I find that more convenient than remembering to set up OBS and recording each run that may or may not turn out to be good. I also used to mainly play on a laptop that I didn't trust to run MAME and OBS at the same time without overheating or slowing down/dropping frames, so using -aviwrite and encoding separately let me get high-quality video without worrying about whether my computer could handle encoding in real-time.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:51 am 

Thank you fir the detailed explanation Shepardus, it worked! :mrgreen: I've tried OBS but it adds a noticeable amount of lag on my pc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:51 am 

To those that have fully completed Dariusburst CS Mode, what is the chronological order of each mission? It takes place between 1904 to 1921, Ruminia is the very first chronologically, while Suriaha is the last. And the bonus mission Kyokkuho actually takes place just a month before Suriaha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:34 am 

Tatsujin Ou - is there any strategy to avoiding the stage 3 midboss's green laser that zigzags around the screen? Why are the zako movement patterns so erratic? Is the stage 5 boss even possible?
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 am 

In DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra, for Xbox 360, is there really no way to continue besides beating the game to turn on the continues through the EX options menu? Because there's absolutely no way in hell I'm goint to get beyond maybe the second level without continues...

If so, this game is such a waste for novice players like me...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:
In DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra, for Xbox 360, is there really no way to continue besides beating the game to turn on the continues through the EX options menu? Because there's absolutely no way in hell I'm goint to get beyond maybe the second level without continues...

New to the genre as well, and one thing you have to understand about these shooters, specially DDP, are the mechanics/systems.
I havent played DDP that much (focusing on Ketsui right now, I think it's a good learning game), but Hyper mode is pretty important because it can null/cancel enemy's projectiles.

Like I said, Im completely new to the genre but I believe that understanding the game fundamentally is necessary to improve.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am 

Do MAME input replays reliably play back now? I have had a lot of desync issues with them on older MAME versions so I got in the habit of doing actual recordings instead of input recording.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 am 

Does anyone have a 1-CC replay of 1943 (Capcom's old title)? I have no access to youtube at the moment (I am in CHN), and I am wondering how on Earth the final section has to be handled...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 pm 

Does the sharp version of Cho Ren Sha 68k not have the secret option menu? I tried holding up on the options menu, and nothing happened. I wanted to play the game as it was originally designed, but not having access to stage select and boss rush is a huge disappointment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 am 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Do MAME input replays reliably play back now?

Yes. Only game I've had desync problems with is Sand Scorpion (no idea what was wrong with that game, aside from everything).

Randorama wrote:
Does anyone have a 1-CC replay of 1943 (Capcom's old title)? I have no access to youtube at the moment (I am in CHN), and I am wondering how on Earth the final section has to be handled...

Not sure if Nicovideo works in China, but if it does then here's a replay: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm168613

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:
Does the sharp version of Cho Ren Sha 68k not have the secret option menu?

Nope.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:38 am 

Are there any significant differences between the Saturn and Playstation versions of Donpachi and Dodonpachi? Are the ports on one platform better than the ones on the other?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:57 pm 

Shepardus, thanks! Let us say that my workplace only dislikes facebook and youtube, so problem solved.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:55 pm 

Seahawk wrote:
Are there any significant differences between the Saturn and Playstation versions of Donpachi and Dodonpachi? Are the ports on one platform better than the ones on the other?

I've not played the Saturn version of DDP yet, or either PSX game, but the Saturn version of DonPachi is unfortunately plagued with slowdown, as well as having very low-bitrate music and sound, so it sounds very scratchy. It plays well enough otherwise, but isn't probably the best way to play it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm 

Any idea why the Steam version of Kamui looks quite smeary and filtered (with the "apply filters" option turned off)? I'm using a low resolution to match that of the original version, or at least the ver. I've always had, and it still looks a fair bit worse...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:39 am 

Hey Shepardus, thanks for the help earlier. I should have responded back sooner, but I wasn't sure if bumping the thread for a simple thank you was good etiquette or not :oops:

Solved my new issue, so I deleted it.

Last edited by WarpedByTheNHK on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:10 am 

Can anyone help me remember the name of a doujin (I think) shmup from the early-mid 2000s? It had a body horror theme with some weird nudity. Kinda R-Type or Giger esque but with some anime influence. It was totally bizarre and I can't remember what it was called.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:22 am 

It might be one of the Yakouga games, or Galshell?
The Giger-esque body horror theme is often seen in Artesneit's games so that fits the bill.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:20 am 

I think it was Galshell. Thanks. Man, what a bizarre game. I thought R-Type 1 and 2 tested my tolerance for gross.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:46 pm 

Dochartaigh wrote:

You build continues by playing for hours like ikaruga

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm 

Seahawk wrote:

Saturn is better, you can see your score and don't have to pick your ship in the options screen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:04 am 

Which shmup is at 20:25?

https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:24 am 

I'm a big Cho Ren Sha fan but I've only ever played the Windows version. Is it worth trying to set up the Sharp version? Is the three frame difference(?) very noticeable?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:12 am 

Knightmare wrote:
I'm a big Cho Ren Sha fan but I've only ever played the Windows version. Is it worth trying to set up the Sharp version? Is the three frame difference(?) very noticeable?

p version
The difference in speed felt pretty noticeable to me, but the lack of the secret options menu makes it a little hard to really recommend the sharp version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 am 

Knightmare wrote:

I'd say the Sharp version is slightly easier due to the framerate difference, but not worth emulating (if you have the actual hardware then go for it). Note that as WarpedByTheNHK said, the muteki menu (stage/loop select, invulnerability, etc.) is unavailable, or at least I have no idea how to get to it, and difficulty selection is also unavailable (to play Hard mode you have to 2-ALL the game on Normal and then select Continue). Other than that it's pretty much the same game.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:37 am 

WarpedByTheNHK wrote:
Knightmare wrote:

p version
The difference in speed felt pretty noticeable to me, but the lack of the secret options menu makes it a little hard to really recommend the sharp version.

Shepardus wrote:
Knightmare wrote:

I'd say the Sharp version is slightly easier due to the framerate difference, but not worth emulating (if you have the actual hardware then go for it). Note that as WarpedByTheNHK said, the muteki menu (stage/loop select, invulnerability, etc.) is unavailable, or at least I have no idea how to get to it, and difficulty selection is also unavailable (to play Hard mode you have to 2-ALL the game on Normal and then select Continue). Other than that it's pretty much the same game.

Thank you both. I like the high speed gameplay and hidden options of the Windows port so I'll stick to that version. Glad to know I'm not missing out on too much with the Sharp version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 am 

Which ones are the easiest routes in Darius and Darius II?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114  Next