shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:48 pm 

I think whether the game loops or not is just based on the region of the board. Japan is 1 loop and many (most?) other regions are 2 loops, I want to say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 am 

Plasmo: nicovideo is working fine...At work. Whatever, thank you very much!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:41 pm 

I don't think anyone answered this yet. But to those that played Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours, what was the point of Kyokkuho? It acts like a bonus stage and it's only unlocked after clearing every area in the game, but despite its long length, it doesn't feel like a grand finale at all. Heck, the ending for that stage even says the Belsar are still loose. But Suriaha has that definitive grand finale compared to Kyokkuho.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:31 am 

Raiden III is currently $1.49 on gog. Big fan of IV - how does it compare?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 am 

It's like 4 but 1 less

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:24 pm 

What’s the fastest way to max out my money in Mars Matrix? I’ve been playing the hell out of the game lately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 pm 

I know I can't be the only one, how many other people choose a ship/character based largely on its color? For example I've been trying to learn DDP DOJ and I gravitated almost immediately to type B, just because it's green and there is no way I'm ever going to second guess myself "is that a bullet?" in the heat of the moment. The first DDP, both type C and type A make me nervous with how the ship colors are practically bullet colors.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:02 pm 

I choose characters by their cuteness, does that count?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 pm 

I do have issues with ship/character visibility sometimes but it's thankfully not too frequent. The worst case for me is BWR where I can only play with red ship versions (so I also have to stick to BWR+). I even have my own nicknames for them - Hatred, Despair and Fury :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:27 am 

Not entirely a question, so much as venting. Does anyone prefer smaller indie/doujin games and almost feel guilty about it, or deep down like you're wasting your time? There is this nagging feeling I should be trying to learn a Cave game, even though I don't enjoy Cave much beyond simply appreciating them. I've been trying to learn a bit of Daioujou lately and, while I do enjoy it more than any other Cave game I've played, I can't tell if I genuinely want to play it or if there's some weird sense of obligation to "clear a Cave game." Then there's the feeling that these lesser known games "don't count", because if it's not Cave, Raizing, or Touhou, people generally don't seem to care whatever accomplishment you've managed. It's the most pointlessly insecure I've ever felt about a hobby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 am 

The "smaller" games are where much of the creativity and passion lie, so preferring them is not at all unreasonable.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:54 am 

That's a very familiar feeling for me, coupled with "not playing enough games to count as a good shmupper" thing. But the bottom line is that it's okay. You can appreciate many games because they're well-made or because someone else can pull off pretty awesome stuff in them. But you yourself have only so much time, and getting competent at a game needs a lot of it, so you can stick with only a certain number of them. And there's no shame in picking those that you enjoy more. Besides, even the most obscure games have people that care about them and will be happy to see someone else making progress. (And even if it has none at all then it means you can be an undisputed champion of that one so win-win 8) )

As a personal anecdote, I've been playing Touhou games for years but my progress eventually ground to a halt. I've barely had any new achievements throughout the last year but I still kept trying to play just because I felt I'd be less of a fan if I wouldn't. It's only this year that I've let go of them and gave other shmups a serious try, and I can say it was for the best. And I'm still just as big a fan of every other aspect of that franchise. So yeah, play what you actually want to play, not what you think you should.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:05 pm 

Play what gratifies you the most. No need for obligations here, self-imposed or otherwise. This goes for games and hobbies in general imo. Image Don't wanna go all Bob Flanagan and hit your wiener with a meat tenderiser, metaphorically speaking.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:30 pm 

BIL wrote:
Don't wanna go all Bob Flanagan and hit your wiener with a meat tenderiser, metaphorically speaking.

But then you'll never achieve immortality on the tenderized wiener leaderboards!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:40 pm 

Love cave/toaplan shmups just wish PlayStation would buy them and start making some sick as f**k shmups again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 pm 

What Shepardus says about creativity and passion is close to the reasoning I've had in my head, which I guess I was afraid sounded conceited or something. That reasoning is I think it's more exciting and less stressful trying to route a game that isn't extremely well documented compared to a game where the optimal way to play was already figured out years ago. Then there is the ultra-conceited part where I hope my efforts through games like Eden's Aegis and Vastynex will inspire others who are better than me to take a closer look at their scoring systems.

As for what Angel said about feeling you don't play ENOUGH different games, I used to get that. I was jealous of Perikles and Jaimers. I think probably a lot of us are to some extent. But then you learn to be comfortable with your own play style, comfortable with being someone with a sharp focus on two or three games. You have to consider that's probably also how they started off, it's not like they had all these clears and high scores fall out of the sky. So that doesn't worry me anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:58 am 

blossom wrote:
That reasoning is I think it's more exciting and less stressful trying to route a game that isn't extremely well documented compared to a game where the optimal way to play was already figured out years ago.

I do tend to find more enjoyment in charting out underexplored games where there's still an element of novelty to my improvements (and that of giving an underappreciated game the attention it deserves), compared to the most competitive games where I feel like I'm permanently playing catch-up to years of optimizations.

blossom wrote:
Then there is the ultra-conceited part where I hope my efforts through games like Eden's Aegis and Vastynex will inspire others who are better than me to take a closer look at their scoring systems.

I hope that one day someone better than I will check out ring^-27 and pull off a great run that actually takes full advantage of the scoring system without dying all over the place...
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:32 pm 

Are there any major scoring tricks to be aware of in Giga Wing I should know? I know the medal trick in the airport stage, the big medals you get in the lava stage for killing the turrets low on the screen, the medal shedding thing from the light in the train level, the giant medals in stage 4... but I'm trying to play it for score and it feels like I've hit a major plateau with little progress, like I'm missing something fundamental in my milking. Haven't even made it halfway to maxing out the score multiplier which is pretty shameful. I feel like I should be a lot better at Giga Wing since I'm pretty damn familiar with the survival aspect of the game.

In the train level when the pair of enemies constantly spawns at the top of the screen for medals, Stuck's bomb causes their spawn point to reposition horizontally wherever you last killed them, meaning you can get them both together and rapidly collect double medals. Is this worth it if you're playing Stuck or is holding on to the extra bomb still best? I stumbled on this when doing no-reflect runs when I once bombed that section cause of a screwup on the two large turrets there, but never got the chance to actually seriously test this. Pearl posted about this on Twitter recently as scoring trick and he says it might not be ideal for WR-level scoring but is an easy way to get a massive score boost so I'm gonna try and bomb on purpose here with Stuck to see just how much it rewards potentially vs a clear with no bombs used.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:41 pm 

1. Does the physical Japanese edition of PS4 Gundemoniums have English language menus? If not, are they hard to navigate?

2. The PS1/Saturn versions of Parodius Da found on the Parodius Deluxe Packs has a way lower difficulty than the original arcade due to rank not really going up. Does Gokujou Parodius also have the same issue, or is this a relatively accurate port? Can't seem to find info on this anywhere!

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:12 pm 

Martinov wrote:
Does Gokujou Parodius also have the same issue, or is this a relatively accurate port? Can't seem to find info on this anywhere!

From my experience, Gokujou is arcade-accurate.
The PS1 port however behaves erratically with regards to the extend routine, sometimes I'd just don't get the extra lives at all. It's also got much more slowdown than the Saturn version.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:45 am 

Why has the hi-score megathread in the High Scores Section not been updated in 2.5 years? Same thing for Strategy megathread (close to 5 years?)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:01 am 

correct answer

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:53 pm 

I'd like to start up a casual score contest, one game per month, absolutely no Cave, Raizing, or Touhou. Focus on free doujin/indie games, occasionally dipping into arcade games. Potential games so far include Green Wind, PatriotDark, Solid State Survivor, and Akkanvader. How many would be interested? And would you prefer to gather in a dedicated forum thread, a community Discord, or <insert idea here>?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:29 pm 

blossom wrote:
I'd like to start up a casual score contest, one game per month, absolutely no Cave, Raizing, or Touhou. Focus on free doujin/indie games, occasionally dipping into arcade games. Potential games so far include Green Wind, PatriotDark, Solid State Survivor, and Akkanvader. How many would be interested? And would you prefer to gather in a dedicated forum thread, a community Discord, or <insert idea here>?

I'm extremely interested

prefer dedicated forum thread

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:58 pm 

I think I asked this already, but does anyone know what the warning siren is saying whenever you approach a boss in Axelay? Is it "hurricane howl" or "Earthling howl"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 pm 

Despatche wrote:

Are there stairs in your house?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:22 pm 

Been mulling the possibility of picking up a modded PS2 - preferably one that can play JPN PS1 and PS2 discs. I am too dumb to solder. I found a ps2 fat being sold with a Modbo 4.0 v1.93, which as I understand isn't the most recent firmware. Can anyone with more experience in modded consoles tell me if it would serve my purposes? Anything I should know about compatibility between JPN PS1/PS2 discs and modded consoles?

My Gradius Gaiden disc is tired of shredding my computer CD drive :oops:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:48 pm 

Is that really cheaper than simply buying a Japanese PS2? They aren't really so expensive these days.

Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:19 pm 

ACSeraph wrote:
Is that really cheaper than simply buying a Japanese PS2? They aren't really so expensive these days.

I admit I want to have my cake and eat it too. I was considering buying a Japanese PS2 but I have all my NTSC-U ps1/ps2 shmups (not to mention other games). I like 'all-in-one' solutions if possible, ha.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:57 pm 

Is Episode 5: Hazudra Fodder of Tyrian 2000 really non-canon?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118  Next