Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Shepardus »

I choose characters by their cuteness, does that count?
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

I do have issues with ship/character visibility sometimes but it's thankfully not too frequent. The worst case for me is BWR where I can only play with red ship versions (so I also have to stick to BWR+). I even have my own nicknames for them - Hatred, Despair and Fury :D
blossom

Post by blossom »

Not entirely a question, so much as venting. Does anyone prefer smaller indie/doujin games and almost feel guilty about it, or deep down like you're wasting your time? There is this nagging feeling I should be trying to learn a Cave game, even though I don't enjoy Cave much beyond simply appreciating them. I've been trying to learn a bit of Daioujou lately and, while I do enjoy it more than any other Cave game I've played, I can't tell if I genuinely want to play it or if there's some weird sense of obligation to "clear a Cave game." Then there's the feeling that these lesser known games "don't count", because if it's not Cave, Raizing, or Touhou, people generally don't seem to care whatever accomplishment you've managed. It's the most pointlessly insecure I've ever felt about a hobby.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The "smaller" games are where much of the creativity and passion lie, so preferring them is not at all unreasonable.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CyberAngel

Post by CyberAngel »

That's a very familiar feeling for me, coupled with "not playing enough games to count as a good shmupper" thing. But the bottom line is that it's okay. You can appreciate many games because they're well-made or because someone else can pull off pretty awesome stuff in them. But you yourself have only so much time, and getting competent at a game needs a lot of it, so you can stick with only a certain number of them. And there's no shame in picking those that you enjoy more. Besides, even the most obscure games have people that care about them and will be happy to see someone else making progress. (And even if it has none at all then it means you can be an undisputed champion of that one so win-win 8) )

As a personal anecdote, I've been playing Touhou games for years but my progress eventually ground to a halt. I've barely had any new achievements throughout the last year but I still kept trying to play just because I felt I'd be less of a fan if I wouldn't. It's only this year that I've let go of them and gave other shmups a serious try, and I can say it was for the best. And I'm still just as big a fan of every other aspect of that franchise. So yeah, play what you actually want to play, not what you think you should.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Play what gratifies you the most. No need for obligations here, self-imposed or otherwise. This goes for games and hobbies in general imo. Image Don't wanna go all Bob Flanagan and hit your wiener with a meat tenderiser, metaphorically speaking.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BIL wrote:Don't wanna go all Bob Flanagan and hit your wiener with a meat tenderiser, metaphorically speaking.
But then you'll never achieve immortality on the tenderized wiener leaderboards!
Ddshot

Post by Ddshot »

Love cave/toaplan shmups just wish PlayStation would buy them and start making some sick as f**k shmups again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blossom

Post by blossom »

What Shepardus says about creativity and passion is close to the reasoning I've had in my head, which I guess I was afraid sounded conceited or something. That reasoning is I think it's more exciting and less stressful trying to route a game that isn't extremely well documented compared to a game where the optimal way to play was already figured out years ago. Then there is the ultra-conceited part where I hope my efforts through games like Eden's Aegis and Vastynex will inspire others who are better than me to take a closer look at their scoring systems.

As for what Angel said about feeling you don't play ENOUGH different games, I used to get that. I was jealous of Perikles and Jaimers. I think probably a lot of us are to some extent. But then you learn to be comfortable with your own play style, comfortable with being someone with a sharp focus on two or three games. You have to consider that's probably also how they started off, it's not like they had all these clears and high scores fall out of the sky. So that doesn't worry me anymore.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

blossom wrote:That reasoning is I think it's more exciting and less stressful trying to route a game that isn't extremely well documented compared to a game where the optimal way to play was already figured out years ago.
I do tend to find more enjoyment in charting out underexplored games where there's still an element of novelty to my improvements (and that of giving an underappreciated game the attention it deserves), compared to the most competitive games where I feel like I'm permanently playing catch-up to years of optimizations.
blossom wrote:Then there is the ultra-conceited part where I hope my efforts through games like Eden's Aegis and Vastynex will inspire others who are better than me to take a closer look at their scoring systems.
I hope that one day someone better than I will check out ring^-27 and pull off a great run that actually takes full advantage of the scoring system without dying all over the place...
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Are there any major scoring tricks to be aware of in Giga Wing I should know? I know the medal trick in the airport stage, the big medals you get in the lava stage for killing the turrets low on the screen, the medal shedding thing from the light in the train level, the giant medals in stage 4... but I'm trying to play it for score and it feels like I've hit a major plateau with little progress, like I'm missing something fundamental in my milking. Haven't even made it halfway to maxing out the score multiplier which is pretty shameful. I feel like I should be a lot better at Giga Wing since I'm pretty damn familiar with the survival aspect of the game.

In the train level when the pair of enemies constantly spawns at the top of the screen for medals, Stuck's bomb causes their spawn point to reposition horizontally wherever you last killed them, meaning you can get them both together and rapidly collect double medals. Is this worth it if you're playing Stuck or is holding on to the extra bomb still best? I stumbled on this when doing no-reflect runs when I once bombed that section cause of a screwup on the two large turrets there, but never got the chance to actually seriously test this. Pearl posted about this on Twitter recently as scoring trick and he says it might not be ideal for WR-level scoring but is an easy way to get a massive score boost so I'm gonna try and bomb on purpose here with Stuck to see just how much it rewards potentially vs a clear with no bombs used.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

1. Does the physical Japanese edition of PS4 Gundemoniums have English language menus? If not, are they hard to navigate?

2. The PS1/Saturn versions of Parodius Da found on the Parodius Deluxe Packs has a way lower difficulty than the original arcade due to rank not really going up. Does Gokujou Parodius also have the same issue, or is this a relatively accurate port? Can't seem to find info on this anywhere!

Thanks!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Martinov wrote:Does Gokujou Parodius also have the same issue, or is this a relatively accurate port? Can't seem to find info on this anywhere!
From my experience, Gokujou is arcade-accurate.
The PS1 port however behaves erratically with regards to the extend routine, sometimes I'd just don't get the extra lives at all. It's also got much more slowdown than the Saturn version.
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Why has the hi-score megathread in the High Scores Section not been updated in 2.5 years? Same thing for Strategy megathread (close to 5 years?)
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
blossom

Post by blossom »

I'd like to start up a casual score contest, one game per month, absolutely no Cave, Raizing, or Touhou. Focus on free doujin/indie games, occasionally dipping into arcade games. Potential games so far include Green Wind, PatriotDark, Solid State Survivor, and Akkanvader. How many would be interested? And would you prefer to gather in a dedicated forum thread, a community Discord, or <insert idea here>?
Prales

Post by Prales »

Last edited by Prales on Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I think I asked this already, but does anyone know what the warning siren is saying whenever you approach a boss in Axelay? Is it "hurricane howl" or "Earthling howl"?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Despatche wrote:correct answer
Are there stairs in your house?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Been mulling the possibility of picking up a modded PS2 - preferably one that can play JPN PS1 and PS2 discs. I am too dumb to solder. I found a ps2 fat being sold with a Modbo 4.0 v1.93, which as I understand isn't the most recent firmware. Can anyone with more experience in modded consoles tell me if it would serve my purposes? Anything I should know about compatibility between JPN PS1/PS2 discs and modded consoles?

My Gradius Gaiden disc is tired of shredding my computer CD drive :oops:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Is that really cheaper than simply buying a Japanese PS2? They aren't really so expensive these days.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

ACSeraph wrote:Is that really cheaper than simply buying a Japanese PS2? They aren't really so expensive these days.
I admit I want to have my cake and eat it too. I was considering buying a Japanese PS2 but I have all my NTSC-U ps1/ps2 shmups (not to mention other games). I like 'all-in-one' solutions if possible, ha.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Is Episode 5: Hazudra Fodder of Tyrian 2000 really non-canon?
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Once and for all, how the fuck do you trigger the 1st Ura boss in Daiffukatsu1.5?

I am collecting all 3 bees, destroy ALL the tanks before they touch any silos (or sometimes i destroy the silos first) and i have a full hyper (which must not be used..!?) way before the last tank. What am i doing wrong? Is there a point in the level scrolling where it is "too late" to kill the last tank/silo? What am i missing here? Vids where it is triggered show the player do exactly as i am doing, but there's obviously more to it.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

The trigger is more about destroying the silos than destroying the tanks, I think you need to destroy all or all but one of the silos without letting them get run over by tanks (including the first one at the edge of the screen which can't be run over by a tank). You don't actually need to collect all the bees, though it can help in getting the hyper. Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53002
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

EmperorIng wrote:I admit I want to have my cake and eat it too. I was considering buying a Japanese PS2 but I have all my NTSC-U ps1/ps2 shmups (not to mention other games). I like 'all-in-one' solutions if possible, ha.
I had a modchip put in my PS2 so I could play imported games I bought for 100 bucks. It's been working fine ever since it got put in my slim PS2 a decade or so ago. I believe it's a Matrix Infinity based on the startup logo? I'm not sure of the specs, it was done by a local shop, told them I wanted to play imports, they got it done. Was very satisfied, no issues with any of the North American PS1 or PS2 games I already owned.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:I admit I want to have my cake and eat it too. I was considering buying a Japanese PS2 but I have all my NTSC-U ps1/ps2 shmups (not to mention other games). I like 'all-in-one' solutions if possible, ha.
I had a modchip put in my PS2 so I could play imported games I bought for 100 bucks. It's been working fine ever since it got put in my slim PS2 a decade or so ago. I believe it's a Matrix Infinity based on the startup logo? I'm not sure of the specs, it was done by a local shop, told them I wanted to play imports, they got it done. Was very satisfied, no issues with any of the North American PS1 or PS2 games I already owned.
Yeah I have that too I think. It also plays downloaded games from a disc.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Shepardus wrote:The trigger is more about destroying the silos than destroying the tanks, I think you need to destroy all or all but one of the silos without letting them get run over by tanks (including the first one at the edge of the screen which can't be run over by a tank). You don't actually need to collect all the bees, though it can help in getting the hyper. Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53002
Thanks.

I'm slowly breaking down the factors.
It doesn't matter if you go after the tanks or siloz, either will do. As your link describes, there are only 2 factors it seems: Destroying the tanks\siloz before they make contact and (the difficult one) having a full hyper by the time 1/4 of the last silo/tank are revealed, WITHOUT beeing still in hyper. This is i think the catch. If you use the first hyper you get, it must finish a split second before the 2nd activates, and all this inside that window up untill the reveal of last silo. Bees and lifes do not matter (still not 100% sure about bees).

I'm not yet good enough to destroy all siloz without hyper, but that may be easier overall in terms of requirements, for a more skilled player.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I ultimately went in with this fat ps2. Guy's feedback seemed legit enough, though we'll see! I'm looking forward to spending some time with some mid2000s-era shmups, since there are a lot of interesting specimens that never made it out. The only downer is a loud-ass console playing my copy of Gradius V (and presumably others). My original PS2 was a fat before I found a cheap slim down the line. Time to get used to the woodchipper again.
Leviathan wrote: Yeah I have that too I think. It also plays downloaded games from a disc.
This is true and will help alleviate allsome import concerns, like Ibara, ho ho.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I know Axelay is regarded very highly by most shmuppers. Why can't I get into it? The difficulty seems unfair and mostly down to the game's design (for me at least).
There's very little time to avoid bullets due to the narrow vertical screen, and movement just seems very restricted.
Playing on easy difficulty I can't even get past the middle of the 1st stage... I'm not pretending to be a virtuoso at shmups or games in general but I've never had
another shmup give me so much grief, hell even DS 1/2/3, Sekiro and Bloodborne were fine compared to this. Besides using cheat codes is there anything else I can do?
Maybe the speed setting in the Options to max will help a bit... I expect to get stuck on stage 4, but not on the 1st one :lol: