shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:04 pm 

FRO wrote:
I've not played the Saturn version of DDP yet, or either PSX game, but the Saturn version of DonPachi is unfortunately plagued with slowdown, as well as having very low-bitrate music and sound, so it sounds very scratchy. It plays well enough otherwise, but isn't probably the best way to play it.

I wouldn't say plagued with slowdown, but it is noticeable in some odd places, like the red gem transition screens (this includes end-of-level bonus tallies).

Regarding the sound, the music is fine. It's redbook audio streamed directly from the disc, and sounds much better than the arcade version's dual PCMs, actually. The sound effects are largely the same as the arcade version as well (which was also pretty low-quality), but you will notice immediately that Bob (the announcer) is very scratchy. Also, for whatever reason, the big explosion sound of the stage 2 boss when it's defeated is absent.

Finally, I found that the Saturn version doesn't have a good yoko mode. The only options are scaling, so if you have to play in yoko everything will shimmer like crazy. Wobble mode looks okay but I don't know how anyone can play in wobble mode. I'd say don't even bother unless you have a tate setup.

Dochartaigh wrote:
In DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label Extra, for Xbox 360, is there really no way to continue besides beating the game to turn on the continues through the EX options menu? Because there's absolutely no way in hell I'm goint to get beyond maybe the second level without continues...

If so, this game is such a waste for novice players like me...

You get an additional credit by getting to level 3, and additional ones for getting to levels 4 and 5 on a single credit. Once you clear stages/checkpoints you can use the stage select to practice them, which is the accepted method of learning shmups on home ports (although most others have all the stages available, not just areas you've cleared). Credit-feeding is a bad habit, I usually turn off continues completely via dipswitches in mame.

Don't use the analog stick, never die with bombs/hypers in stock, and train yourself to watch the bullets - especially the gaps between them. Good luck, you picked a doozy of a title for a novice player.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:38 pm 

Randorama wrote:
Which ones are the easiest routes in Darius and Darius II?

Darius II, the route that worked for me was:
ABEINSX

B is definitely the easier of the variants. While F isn't too bad, you want to avoid D if you want to avoid an endless spam of tiny suicide bullets.

The moon stage is pretty much the same difficulty-wise imo. However, you want to face off against Leadain (Zones L, N, O) a lot more than you would Yamato (K and M), especially if you are playing in the double-monitor version. Triple-monitor you have some chance to have some space to maneuver, but in double you are in very tight quarters with a frankly random enemy. Mars stage sucks no matter what. I found S to be a little more manageable, but the boss is going to make or break the run. Learn to lead the tiny octopuses away from the larger one and you might have a chance.

Jupiter is hard no matter what as well. If you get there with a shield and full-power, you are infinitely more capable of survival. Without it, it's kind of a crap-shoot. W, X, and Y have Little Stripes, which is the easiest boss of the three final bosses, especially since you can go behind it and destroy its appendages without fear of reprisal (I don't know entirely if this lessens its attack; I just do it as a matter of course). Little Stripes can be taken out with the pea shooter if you are calm enough to take it slow and get out of the way before it shoots its gigantic wave beam.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:32 am 

Thanks, everything is clear. No tips on the first Darius? It has been so much time that I mostly forgot everything about this series :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:38 pm 

OmegaFlareX wrote:
FRO wrote:
I've not played the Saturn version of DDP yet, or either PSX game, but the Saturn version of DonPachi is unfortunately plagued with slowdown, as well as having very low-bitrate music and sound, so it sounds very scratchy. It plays well enough otherwise, but isn't probably the best way to play it.

I wouldn't say plagued with slowdown, but it is noticeable in some odd places, like the red gem transition screens (this includes end-of-level bonus tallies).

Regarding the sound, the music is fine. It's redbook audio streamed directly from the disc, and sounds much better than the arcade version's dual PCMs, actually. The sound effects are largely the same as the arcade version as well (which was also pretty low-quality), but you will notice immediately that Bob (the announcer) is very scratchy. Also, for whatever reason, the big explosion sound of the stage 2 boss when it's defeated is absent.

Finally, I found that the Saturn version doesn't have a good yoko mode. The only options are scaling, so if you have to play in yoko everything will shimmer like crazy. Wobble mode looks okay but I don't know how anyone can play in wobble mode. I'd say don't even bother unless you have a tate setup.

Maybe I need to go back and play it again to listen to the sound, but yeah, Bob definitely sounds like he needs a lozenge :lol:

I play in wobble mode, but then, I suck at the game, so I guess I don't know the difference.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:21 pm 

Why is it that Strikers 1945 II seems better regarded here than Plus? I haven't played Plus yet but I would like to now that it's on Switch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:35 pm 

Well most evident thing is that Plus looks terrible. The Neo Geo couldn't do tate so it had to compress things to make them fit the shorter vertical lenght so sprites look crap.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:39 pm 

Well, Plus is pretty much Strikers II all over again with more/slower bullets.
Strikers II arrange in a sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:24 am 

Strikers 1945 II is more popular because it's the original. I don't really find much of a quality difference besides the game now being a somewhat squished vertizontal. I would also refer to it as more of an arrange than a sequel.
Hagane wrote:
Well most evident thing is that Plus looks terrible.

Strikers 1945 II isn't that great visually either, so not much of value was lost.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:19 am 

FRO wrote:
I play in wobble mode, but then, I suck at the game, so I guess I don't know the difference.

You might suck less at the game if you could see the entire screen at once!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:21 pm 

Okay, so I want to play Gradius V with Weapon Edit (Spread bomb is a MUST), the question is what weapon I should get? Laser or Ripple? I dont want to switch E-Laser because it's hard to manage.

Also is there a proper replay of Weapon Edit clear w/ spread bomb and vertical laser?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 pm 

Are ESPGaluda 2's sprites uploaded anywhere? I'd love the stage 3 mid boss. c:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 am 

Knightmare wrote:
Why is it that Strikers 1945 II seems better regarded here than Plus? I haven't played Plus yet but I would like to now that it's on Switch.

I don't recommend playing Plus on Switch until it gets patched. It suffers from slowdown not in the original.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:40 am 

Do you really have to beat all the stages of Fury Mode to get the ending in Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury? Because after you fail three times, the game becomes generous and lets you skip to the next stage. Or you won't be able to unlock the extra modes?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114