shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172
 Post subject: Re: I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 am 

I recently came back to playing shmups after a year long break.

Yesterday i played Touhou 8 Imperishable Night a few times, just for practice purposes wasn't even really trying to win.
And today i cleared it on normal difficulty on second try.

It's my second Touhou clear and a fourth shmup overall.

Fortunately it seems like im quickly getting back to the skill level i was at before the break.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:36 am 

Still having fun with the Aleste collection. Latest achievement: I no-missed Aleste (SMS). That sounds more impressive than it actually is, as no-missing the game is the easier way to beat it, because recovering from a death is brutally hard. I have cleared the game before, on real hardware, but that was literally decades ago, so it's nice to know that I can still do it. The key to success is maxing out weapon 1 as quickly as possible and then sticking to it. It's fairly powerful, very versatile, and at max power it cancels enemy bullets.

Upon revisiting it, I've grown to appreciate the game even more than I used to. It's kind of rough, but what it tries to do, it does well. While the rank-based "A.I." tends to be a bit repetitive in the attack waves it creates, the midbosses and stage-specific ground targets do a really good job of mixing up the action and keeping you on your toes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 am 

My FIRST EVER 2-ALL from Irem's Dragon Breed! Took me only 32 years to master :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 pm 

I finally did it! Didn't play it for many years but got my 1CC of Blue Wish Resurrection Plus on Original. Only my second 1CC ever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:07 am 

Nice! Blue Wish Resurrection Plus is a great game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:40 pm 

The long-standing community/western record of 19XX has been beaten recently.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:55 pm 

fukken tOuhou 8 lnn is finally done. gOnna sleep for the rest of my life now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBW215BAzA
music (new albUm in the works)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:36 pm 

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:

1000+ credits! :D Plus god knows how much practice time. Now the question is... when's Final B?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:33 pm 

Lethe wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:

1000+ credits! :D Plus god knows how much practice time. Now the question is... when's Final B?

i dOn't even wanna think about doing final B...or even touhou anything right now, man xD

taHnk you though, dude. yEah, this took forever to do, especially since early last year i didn't have any touhou experience at all and made a straight shot right for an lnn. sO it took like almost fifteen mOnths x.x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:56 pm 

I wanted to show off my 1cc list because I hit a milestone of 400 arcade game 1-credit clears:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpeBQXbbjXHo5XeXRZ1wA2skRDzjuZhc-MbEpelu0yQ/edit?usp=sharing

Not all of them are shmups, but there are plenty of shmups on the list. #400 is Mazinger Z, a perfectly cromulent shmup.

I was a late bloomer for shmups. I played some arcade shmups (especially Aero Fighters) back in the day. But it wasn't until 2014 that I first (finally) got a 1-credit clear on an arcade shmup (R-Type Leo). For me personally, learning a shmup without savestate-practice is slow going and feels frustrating. Reading The Full Extent of the Jam for pointers on savestate practice, having MAME reach the point that savestates really worked in nearly any game, and getting confidence from first few clears, all changed my view on shmups from "elegant niche games for elite weirdos" to a series of fun projects.

I'm proud of the number of clears but I'll admit most of these individual clears are not impressive. I like the idea of playing for score, but I love the sense of closure from hitting the goal of a clear, and the novelty of moving on to the next game. So I've been making my way through any arcade game that is really easy, or really good, or both, and aiming for the goal of a 1-credit clear. My new goal is 500 arcade 1ccs. I think I can definitely get there before running out of clearable games or getting too old and decrepit to keep up.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:57 pm 

Sometimes the bomb that blows up late, blows up big. Wow!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:14 pm 

Dumple wrote:
I wanted to show off my 1cc list because I hit a milestone of 400 arcade game 1-credit clears:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpeBQXbbjXHo5XeXRZ1wA2skRDzjuZhc-MbEpelu0yQ/edit?usp=sharing

Not all of them are shmups, but there are plenty of shmups on the list. #400 is Mazinger Z, a perfectly cromulent shmup.

I was a late bloomer for shmups. I played some arcade shmups (especially Aero Fighters) back in the day. But it wasn't until 2014 that I first (finally) got a 1-credit clear on an arcade shmup (R-Type Leo). For me personally, learning a shmup without savestate-practice is slow going and feels frustrating. Reading The Full Extent of the Jam for pointers on savestate practice, having MAME reach the point that savestates really worked in nearly any game, and getting confidence from first few clears, all changed my view on shmups from "elegant niche games for elite weirdos" to a series of fun projects.

I'm proud of the number of clears but I'll admit most of these individual clears are not impressive. I like the idea of playing for score, but I love the sense of closure from hitting the goal of a clear, and the novelty of moving on to the next game. So I've been making my way through any arcade game that is really easy, or really good, or both, and aiming for the goal of a 1-credit clear. My new goal is 500 arcade 1ccs. I think I can definitely get there before running out of clearable games or getting too old and decrepit to keep up.

Nice! That's a lot of clears. That sounds very much like my methodology. I'm all about efficient save state practice. I treat it almost like playing an instrument. Learn the measures, then the song. I got my first 1CC in Touhou 08 - Imperishable Night I think around 14 years ago or so and then wanted to beat the windows trilogy at the time of Touhou 06 and 07. I think I discovered Edward's 1CC blog not too long after that and that inspired me to set a goal for 100 1CC's, which started as a mix of any type of 1CC and then eventually became just shmup 1CC's. Now I'm not chasing 1CC's anymore, but when R-Type Final 2 comes out I'll make sure to beat that one. That series is really special to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:42 am 

I cleared Truxton II this afternoon. it took kind of a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6gFAZSD20

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:53 am 

Jebus (■`ω´■)

:lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 am 

Just been going and revisiting and digging in on a few titles the last few days and ended up with some pretty satisfying 1CCs and some pretty meh ones, including:

-Harmful Park
-Gun Nac
-Cotton Reboot! (Easy)
-Silver Surfer
-Sky Jaguar
-Chariot
-Go Benny!

Going to try digging in for a Zanac 1CC today, but stages 11 and 12 are just giving me all kinds of trouble, but then again, the rank system in this game kinda makes it so any level can be a nightmare just depending how you play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:57 am 

Finally got an all clear in Giga Wing with Isya (Switch version of Capcom Arcade Stadium):

It's rather annoying that in Score Attack Mode as soon as the final boss dies the game ends. You don't get to watch the ending or enter your initials (which you can do if you end your credit at any other point).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:09 am 

Got the 1CC today on GG Aleste 3.

Fun little game. Despite its 8-bit visuals and carrying forward some of the Aleste mechanics this game feels very modern. The game has intentional heavy slowdown which is factored into the difficulty. Had this game came out in the early 90's they would have been crucified for that. Of course, now slow down in shmups isn't really a big deal and we generally want to see games push the boundaries rather than run with no slowdown.

Of note, there's quite a bit of randomness in this one which drove me a bit crazy. Bosses will often change the direction they start their attacks. The stage 5 boss will sometimes do his laser starting in the center rather than from the edge. Likewise, the stage 6 boss seems to randomly bounce along the walls, which stopped many a run as I have quite shit reflexes. If there's a way to manipulate it, I wasn't able to figure it out. Maybe it requires pixel perfect accuracy or its a seed value generated at some point? I do perfer my games to be just a little more static and memorizy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:34 pm 

During practice, I managed to get nmnb on dodonpachi starting from 2-1 boss till the end of 2-6 (stage part). Couple of weeks ago I got that starting from 2-2 midboss. So I have gotten somewhat better at it (even if much slower than I would have liked).

For stages, my routing is pretty much the kind of standard survival routing one would expect (i.e. not taking any risks to preserve chain). Perhaps the only difference is that I don't use the safe-spot in second half of 2-2. For boss battles, I try not to trivialize any of the bosses (in 2-1 to 2-5). By themselves, none of these (individually) is a significant difference. For example:
(i) For first stage, I don't side-step its main attack.
(ii) For second stage, I damage it early-on enough heavily so its last volley (before it gets to blue lasers) is the faster one.
(iv) For fourth stage, I don't use the exploit (tbh I have never really tried it, so I don't how easy or hard it is to execute).
(v) For fifth stage, I don't use the safe-spot for its initial attacks. I still use the aura to destroy it quickly though (perhaps if I play the game next time I would try to change this, but right now I am so used to it that I wouldn't do it).

===============

For the third stage-boss, I destroy the middle parts first completely (so that the two turrets on left and right corner with needle-bullets start to attack simultaneously). The benefit is that one doesn't have to deal with the bullet attacks from the middle-part (and the disadvantage is having to deal with with needle-bullets from two turrets simultaneously). I haven't seen other people do it like that though (in vids). It seems to me that may be partly because doing it like this gives a low combo count perhaps.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 am 

To Far Away Times wrote:
Got the 1CC today on GG Aleste 3.

Fun little game. Despite its 8-bit visuals and carrying forward some of the Aleste mechanics this game feels very modern. The game has intentional heavy slowdown which is factored into the difficulty. Had this game came out in the early 90's they would have been crucified for that. Of course, now slow down in shmups isn't really a big deal and we generally want to see games push the boundaries rather than run with no slowdown.

Of note, there's quite a bit of randomness in this one which drove me a bit crazy. Bosses will often change the direction they start their attacks. The stage 5 boss will sometimes do his laser starting in the center rather than from the edge. Likewise, the stage 6 boss seems to randomly bounce along the walls, which stopped many a run as I have quite shit reflexes. If there's a way to manipulate it, I wasn't able to figure it out. Maybe it requires pixel perfect accuracy or its a seed value generated at some point? I do perfer my games to be just a little more static and memorizy.

Congratulations! It really is an exceptionally well-built and very fun game.

I think the attacks of the bosses from stages 5 and 6 are really just randomized. At least I haven't found any sort of trigger for one behaviour over the other either. In addition to the ones you already mentioned it also seems random if the stage 5 boss throws his first rotating diamond attack from the left or from the right. Of course it would be much easier to lead them where you want them if you knew beforehand where the pattern started. At the stage 6 boss, the bouncing only throws me off occasionally, but it's the attack right before that that often gets me, as sometimes those glowing diamond-shaped things appear right on top of me, while on other occasions they spawn in a safe distance and are easily avoided.

Sadly, challenge mode seems to do away with the randomization, or use the same seed every time, so its usefulness for practicing these bosses is very limited.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:51 am 

Yeah, today i 1cc'ed no missed r-type arcade version :D .

It's a really fun game!. Stage 1,2,3 and 5 isn't too bad. Stage 4 and 7 i basically yolo'ed!. Stage 6 was really difficult, it took me half an hour and about 50 attempts just to find a consistent route. And the last stage was really interesting, i had to rapid fire both the left button and the fire button in order not to get killed by those popcorn enemies, it was the first time i had to rapid fire 2 keys and thought it was funny :D . Sadly, this will be my last 1 cc in the next couple of months because i have to study getting into college :( . i will definitely 1'cc more shmups in the future, just wait :D .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 pm 

cleared io: into oblivion on c64. was pretty cOol. i like the stage three bOss fight a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIzEVDv4lYY

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 pm 

1cc'd Ikaruga after throwing a whole Easter day of attempts at it :P
... and man, I was tantalizingly close so many times, one time I died
Spoiler: show
with 0 seconds left on the Stone-Like timer...

I guess only Gradius V remains to complete the Treasure Trinity (yeah I just made that up :P), but I don't have a PS2 and emulation was a bit flaky last time I tried...

Edit: clear video if anyone cares (with some impressions in the video description): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luqdj5fl0EY

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:51 am 

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:
cleared io: into oblivion on c64. was pretty cOol. i like the stage three bOss fight a lot

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement. I always thought this was one of the best shmups on the platform, intricately designed, yet inexplicably overshadowed by lesser titles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:01 pm 

At least some kind of a Tatsujin 1cc...
easy on 50 Hz on Mega Drive whith the standard controller. 2534720 pts..

https://youtu.be/1QexVaqNLdc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 pm 

Herr Schatten wrote:
BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement. I always thought this was one of the best shmups on the platform, intricately designed, yet inexplicably overshadowed by lesser titles.

taHnk ^^
yA people usually seem to point to armalyte and katakis as being the definitive shmups on the c64, but io completely floors those with hOw strong the level design is along with the fun and challenging bosses

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:04 pm 

Dodonpachi (only the first loop though...)! I bet this is a trivial 1CC for many of you but for me it was incredible. I didn't think I had it in me to ever finish it, I must have played it for over 50 hours. I don't have many 1CC's under my belt so it feels really big when I make some kind of progress. Afterwards my hands were shaking like you wouldn't believe. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:36 pm 

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:
cleared io: into oblivion on c64

Wow, that looks really difficult, the amount of enemies that quickly pop in suddenly and the limited screen space seems to make for a very hard clear.

Starfighter wrote:
Dodonpachi (only the first loop though...)! I bet this is a trivial 1CC

Congratulations! Dodonpachi is by no means a trivial game. Difficulty goes up a good deal by Stage 3, and Stages 5 and 6 are particularly tough nuts to crack, especially if bullet hell shmups are just something you're getting into. It's ranked 17 on the Japanese STG Wiki, with plenty of arcade shmups being considered easier clears.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:17 pm 

A DoDonPachi 1-ALL is a reasonably hard game, despite what a scrubby bomb clear might look and sound like.

I'd say its firmly in the moderate section as far as arcade shmup difficulty goes. This game was a huge stepping stone for me when I cleared it.

I think it gets a reputation for being "easy" because it gives you more resources than most and you can get away with a dumb death or two. But DDP's stage 4-6 are pretty demanding. They're harder than stages you'd find in DonPachi, Mushihimesama, Futari, Espgaluda, or Deathsmiles. Espically stage 5 and 6. Yeeesh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:49 pm 

Did a Batsugun 1cc today. Trying to get better at danmaku shmups, and I figured this was a good starting point.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:46 pm 

Finally reached a personal goal of 12 M plus in Darius Gaiden route Z. This is the first time I've ever gotten well over 90% of world record (12.8 M by Mokkun) in a shmup which means I should just keep going right?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172