Shmups in OSX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Is this an unnecessary list?

Yes
26%
No
66%
Undecided
8%

Total votes: 50

NuclearPotato

Re: Shmups in OSX

Post by NuclearPotato »

Wise fwom your etc.

Been trying to get Touhou 10 working on my Mac. It runs, but the framerate is all wonky. Using the Mac Driver, it's locked at around 30 FPS full screen. Switching to X11 unlocks the cap, but the game doesn't want to run at a stable 60 FPS, instead dropping frames all over the place (even on menus)!

Update: I switched screen settings to fullscreen override. Framerate became a lot more stable, but I got hit with a massive frame drop on the Stage 2 boss.
zakk

Post by zakk »

NuclearPotato wrote:Wise fwom your etc.

Been trying to get Touhou 10 working on my Mac. It runs, but the framerate is all wonky. Using the Mac Driver, it's locked at around 30 FPS full screen. Switching to X11 unlocks the cap, but the game doesn't want to run at a stable 60 FPS, instead dropping frames all over the place (even on menus)!

Update: I switched screen settings to fullscreen override. Framerate became a lot more stable, but I got hit with a massive frame drop on the Stage 2 boss.

My MoF wrapper is using the WS9Wine1.5.31X engine, Automatic for the screen settings, and use mac driver instead of X11. Seems to do 60fps pretty consistently, and I remember it being fine back when I played through all the Touhou games in wine.

I haven't tried any of the newer engines to see if they cause problems with touhou stuff. See if that engine works for you.
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

I upgraded to OSX 10.8 recently and Wine doesn't seem to like that at all. Games that were stable and smooth are a jittery mess now.

I'm not sure if this can be fixed. OSX 10.8 also doesn't seem to like running anything software or sprite based. It runs Open GL better but that's about it.
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

zakk wrote:
NuclearPotato wrote:Wise fwom your etc.

My MoF wrapper is using the WS9Wine1.5.31X engine, Automatic for the screen settings, and use mac driver instead of X11. Seems to do 60fps pretty consistently, and I remember it being fine back when I played through all the Touhou games in wine.

I haven't tried any of the newer engines to see if they cause problems with touhou stuff. See if that engine works for you.
Tried this; it acted practically the same as the newer engine.
ExitPlanetDust wrote:I upgraded to OSX 10.8 recently and Wine doesn't seem to like that at all. Games that were stable and smooth are a jittery mess now.

I'm not sure if this can be fixed. OSX 10.8 also doesn't seem to like running anything software or sprite based. It runs Open GL better but that's about it.
I'm on OSX 10.9. Still not sure what the problem here is though; all the other Touhou games I'm running through Wine work fine (7-9, 12.8).

That said, I have trouble running the new english patcher for 14. Every time I try to run it, the command window bugs the fuck out.
wuxy

Post by wuxy »

Hi

Can somebody tell me how to adjust the config file for edens aegis so it would run at a normal frame rate? Can't find it anywhere, help would be much appreciated ;)

Thanks in advance!
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

NuclearPotato wrote:
ExitPlanetDust wrote:I upgraded to OSX 10.8 recently and Wine doesn't seem to like that at all. Games that were stable and smooth are a jittery mess now.

I'm on OSX 10.9. Still not sure what the problem here is though; all the other Touhou games I'm running through Wine work fine (7-9, 12.8).

That said, I have trouble running the new english patcher for 14. Every time I try to run it, the command window bugs the fuck out.
It's probably my hardware more than anything. I'm running on a late 2009 white Macbook unibody. It shares most of its guts with the Pros of that era but it's still 5 years old.

I would move to 10.9, but I think I'm pushing it with 10.8 as it is.
zakk

Post by zakk »

In light of recent releases, here's something that might be of interest.

http://krylon.rsdio.com/zakk/osxshmups/Eschatos.zip

http://krylon.rsdio.com/zakk/osxshmups/ ... rsword.zip

preconfigured wineskin wrappers for Eschatos and Judgement Silversword/Cardinal Sins.

I was going to pre-install Steam into them but a bare steam install is 500M these days...

Download the Windows steam installer from here: http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Launch the wrapper, click 'Install Software' and point it at the steam installer exe. It'll install Steam. Go ahead and run steam and let it update itself. Then you can login with your steam account and install the actual game. Just run the game now!

You might think you can save some space/effort by installing both games into the same wrapper, but unfortunately Eschatos crashes on video resolution changes under non-Crossover engines and JSS/CS seems to crash randomly when using those engines so...
qmish

Post by qmish »

My friend asked me what Steam shmups work on Mac OS.

Any way to auto-compile list?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

qmish wrote:My friend asked me what Steam shmups work on Mac OS.

Mac OS X + "Bullet Hell" tag
Mac OS X + "Shoot 'em Up" tag
Mac OS X + "Twin Stick Shooter" tag

Note that this doesn't include games without official macOS support that work in Wine.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
donluca

Post by donluca »

qmish wrote:My friend asked me what Steam shmups work on Mac OS.

Thanks to Wine most (if not all) shmups title work fine on Mac OS.

And if Wine fails, using a virtual machine will work 100% as most shmups don't have eccessive hardware requirements.

So, yeah, combining those two you can get every single shmup released work without issues.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

I'm not having too much trouble with Touhou either.
I have a late 2015 5K iMac, configured at purchase with the highest graphics options at that time. I am updated to the newest version of OS X High Sierra.

In general, I use older Wineskin engines (1.5 to 1.9 versions) and during the process I uncheck the 3D option (second choice usually) under screen options, and under the options tab past the Advanced button, make sure the wineskin is using the native mac option and not X11.

This has gotten ALL Windows-based Touhou games to run. The latest ones have trouble running in fullscreen mode (on my machine), so I just choose the recommended resolution in Windowed mode, and then change the screen resolution from the Apple Preferences menu or this free monitor-res adjustment app that I have up in my status bar.

No frame drops, no sound issues. In each game's options menu you can set the buttons for a controller (in my case a HRAP V4 joystick for PS4), but I've found I need an app like Controllers for it to read the joystick itself. I open Controllers, click the slider to on, and leave it up open on the desktop. Then run whatever Touhou game.

Essentially if you get one Wineskin wrapper set to run one of 'em, it'll run all of 'em. Just find the latest engine that works and stick with that on all subsequent games.

I am currently fussing with a OS X version of Neko Project II trying to get the PC-98 games to work. They show Zun's logo at the beginning but then hang up.
kog3100_edw

Post by kog3100_edw »

Sorry if that sounds confusing or like a lot of hassle. There is just a little bit of work flipping switches in each skin (from the base version) to get them running. Then with your controller active, set the buttons you want in the option screen. The games save your settings. The app Controllers is also a one-time setup. My last step is to find a cover for each game and convert it to an icon and save it over the generic Wineskin icon each wrapper generates.

So with the effort of about 15 minutes per game, I have a folder with all Touhou games (EoSD and later actually), appropriate icons. With a stick plugged in and Controllers slid to 'on', the games all just fire up.