R-Type Final really sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Klabauter8
Banned User

Re: R-Type Final really sucks

Post by Klabauter8 »

Plasmo wrote: Countless other games feature insanely long milks, sometimes even infinite ones. It's not original in any way. But maybe in other titles it wouldn't fit as much as it does for you in R Type Final?

So would you consider the following meditative or bad game design?

https://youtu.be/NIrKlWpnCYQ

Tekkaman Blade also has a very eerie atmosphere, that could fit so that maybe some people enjoy the infinite checkpoint here? It's an interesting thought at least.
This Tekkaman Blade milk there rather looks much more like a bug to me, and no it doesn't fit there. I actually thought the milk in Final also was a bug at first, but when I heard here that it has a timeout, it suddenly made total sense. The endboss is almost as if you fight against Buddha, and the whole stage is very spiritual, so a 45 minute milk just fits.

It's still very unusual and unorthodox, but that doesn't mean it has to be a bad idea. When you are able to actually make something like this fit to the game, then it makes the idea actually very interesting.

It's similar like in this doujin called Colorful Shooting which Jaimers played once... It took something actually all people hate, like bullets blending into the background, and turned it into its main gimmick... and it actually fits! That's what I mean by fucking genius. It's very experimental, and certainly not for everyone, but you have to admit, it's a very interesting idea the way it was implemented.
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Special World wrote: "If you don't like R-Type Final you're a stupid dumb moron. This shit isn't even up for debate. If you think the scoring isn't good you're a total Cave fanboy. If you say you enjoy it for survival and not scoring you're a total Cave fanboy. 45 minute basic bitch milks aren't a scoring issue, because this game is so. good."
Thanks for putting words in my mouth I never even said!
Special World wrote:If you're saying that you find an obvious oversight like an incredibly easy 45-minute boss milk to be "meditative" or "not a problem for scoring" on some sort of theoretical level, then yeah, I'm going to call that out as ridiculous
If you still think this milking was an oversight, then you are pretty stupid and not even worth replying to. It's obviously not an oversight, because it fits to the boss. Again, the boss is like you fight against some weird space alien buddha... a 45 mindless minute milk fits perfectly there. It's obviously a meditation feature for a buddha styled endboss fight, and the whole presentation of it is exceptionally well made.

And a problem for scoring it is also not. Like I said, if you don't like doing this, because you probably don't like meditating, then you can just play other routes for score... There are still 2 other endings in the game.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

why would you play R-Type Final of all things if you wanted to meditate
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Durandal wrote:why would you play R-Type Final of all things if you wanted to meditate
Because it's a good game, and a nice way to say good bye to R-Type.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Just curious here, Klabauter8 - did you actually ever play out the 45 minute milk?
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Sumez wrote:Just curious here, Klabauter8 - did you actually ever play out the 45 minute milk?
No, I never did, but I will sometime in the future. Like I said, I thought the milking was endless and some kind of bug.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Durandal wrote:why would you play R-Type Final of all things if you wanted to meditate
because germans do all kinds of fucked up shit
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Still less insane than looping Hishouzame 180 times IMO
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Bananamatic wrote:
because germans do all kinds of fucked up shit
says the slav who milked Tekkaman Blade for 3+ hours
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The mainline R-Type games have a tradition: the final Bydo is impervious to man-made weapons, making it necessary for the R-series to desperately dodge until the moment when the Force is sacrificed. It'd be very much at odds with what's intended to be a climactic moment for the player to cool his heels and grind for points. Like Sumez said, the ability to do so is almost certainly an oversight.

To any meditative souls who've actually timed out Final's final, does it just explode, or do something cool like Delta's, which collapses the dimension you're in and obliterates you?
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Thank you, Special World.

I didn't wanna say anything else, but I came across Silpheed TLP again, and I got frustrated because that game gets trashed by people much worse than R-Type Final. I kinda wanted to just talk about that game but I don't really have the patience right now. I'm just gonna say that mentioning it in the same breath as Sine Mora is a truly vile thing to do, and everyone who does it needs to eject themselves from this genre because they are a genuinely broken person (who has likely played neither game, as well).

It's just not really possible to talk about R-Type Final because everyone frames it as a "bad" or "casual" game, largely out of ignorance and inexperience, and even damning it for things they ignore or praise in other games. Any conversation on this game cannot even begin without finally getting people to stop with this bullshit first.
Plasmo wrote:Not even Despatche.
Well, this is kinda the problem, Plasmo, this "not even" stuff. I get the impression that you're not really reading the things that I'm saying, and you're just filing me away as a "contrarian". Why? Because people do that to me all the time, and occasionally they'll even admit to refusing to read the things I say because they "don't care enough", while still trying to tell me it's a problem with my "personality" or whatever.

Here's the thing. People frame basically everything as personal opinion unless it's convenient for them to do otherwise. If people constantly frame everything as an opinion, no real discussion can be had because there's no foundation that everyone can stand on. Everyone keeps their personal definition of everything, and any opinion that gets "believed" by enough people becomes a fact, because a large group of people are saying the same thing. Even if the opinion in question is actually a bunch of lies about something, it can never be challenged in any way because it gets called an opinion over and over again.

If you actually go through the effort to show these to be lies and to prove them wrong, people still ignore you because they think you're "weird" (less than normal, unstable, invalid) for seemingly caring so much about what they still believe to be an opinion. They don't really care that you're more frustrated about the lying than anything else. I am so tired of opinion because it means nothing. I am so tired of personal definitions of every little word that only mean anything to that specific person, if they actually mean anything at all.

All this ever does is lead to attacking people, not arguments. The definition of the word "argument" changed because of this, because people see arguing as nothing more than bickering over opinion, and not about solving problems and talking about things that are actually fucking real.

There's a lot more to this that centers around games specifically, especially a lot of the discussions that happen in these forums, but I think this is enough for now. For example, a major topic is on how people don't really separate gameplay from aesthetic nearly as much as they should, and allow aesthetic to justify genuinely bad games while burying genuinely good ones. I am legitimately surprised this forum even took Sine Mora to task.

It doesn't need to be said that I don't really care about that Klabauter person. I don't know who they are and I get the feeling they're just trolling with nonsense. However, they have a point with the PinkSweets comparison, mostly because similar things have been brought up in the past. You gloss over this comparison, and once again put up this exploit you only just discovered that only applies to a very tiny part of the game, as some kind of shield that makes "your" game better. I don't really care which game is supposed to be better because it's not relevant to anything. I care that one is being propped up at the expense of the other, and in a very crude way. It's very disgusting.
Sumez wrote:However, I'd say there's a really good chance it's not by design. It's just an oversight, no reason to dwell on it.
See, you get it. I don't know why there's even this argument about "design" when we're literally talking about something that's probably an error. The timeout was probably only meant to be a few minutes and someone pressed the wrong button. The entire rest of the game, as well as how the exploit actually works, suggests that major exploits (i.e. counterstops) were to be avoided and that the scorekeeping was actually supposed to mean something, just like in Delta.

Friendly reminder that this applies to exactly one route of a game with branching paths, and these branching paths are more meaningful than something like Darius, because there's only so many of them and they are not simply a final stage. Also a friendly reminder that it is so easy to just ban the fucking thing if you really want. No, banning things is unthinkable for some reason, even when it clearly hurts the game. Some part of me is glad that people don't play Final precisely because of this.
Plasmo wrote:I like the more oldschool approach of shmups a lot and the R Type series in general is fantastic! However, Final is on last place in my ranking, even when only played for the clear. Compared to e.g. R Type 3, it just looks very bland to me. Unpopular opinion: I don't like R Type Delta. Shoot me.
III is arguably a bad game outright. You've got stage 1 to deal with every time you want to play the game, and then you have to put up with stages 3 and 4. Scoring is broken, and the choice of Forces is dumb: either play the game in the most boring way possible with the Standard Force, or have fun for a few minutes while you completely trivialize the actual fighting with the other two Forces. Loop the game and you get to do this once more.

Delta isn't nearly as bad with its ship balance, and Final isn't nearly as bad with its ship balance either because it's a long list of constantly improving designs that the player may pick and choose from. Plus, neither game completely sucks to actually play like III.

If you think any of the above is my opinion, or anyone's opinion, then I don't know what else to tell you. My opinion is that I think III is a potentially cool game, and one day I would like to hack it to make it better. Another opinion is that all three games (III, Delta, and Final) are lacking quality of life features that are key to me. These mean absolutely nothing and say absolutely nothing about any game's quality, or about the people who designed them (disparaging people you cannot even begin to know happens a lot in stupid opinion wars). That's what a personal opinion is supposed to do.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I enjoy reading some of this thread's messages every now and then. Would be revisiting Final (bought cheap & played maybe once briefly) if the supposedly better of my PS2s wasn't whimsy about detecting a contoller these days.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

So I heard something about an "exploit" in stage 3 that lets you build playtime easily to unlock ships faster. Apparently if you don't destroy any of the ship sections right before the boss, you just float there forever. Sounds cool, but it doesn't seem to work...

...in the American release at least. I'm starting to think there might be some major version differences for Final. I might look into the Japanese release later. Too bad the Korean releases are undumped at this point, it might even be in one of those. Believe it or not, the Korean release was actually before the Japanese release. I hear there are two Korean releases, the earlier of which has an issue with the VS AI mode. There's got to be more to the story.
Last edited by Despatche on Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Despatche wrote:The timeout was probably only meant to be a few minutes and someone pressed the wrong button.
I find it quite likely that someone accidentally typed an extra zero and nobody noticed because really, who's going to test that sort of thing? 4.5 minutes is a lot more "normal" of a timeout than 45 minutes.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

BTW, can anybody tell me how well the game plays on a PS2 console? It probably also had to do with my specs, but the slowdown in this game on PCSX2 emulator is partly really bad, not just for me, but for many people. I am thinking about buying a PS2 for this game, but I am not sure if the slowdown is actually better there. Or is there perhaps any secret to get rid of the slowdown on PCSX2? The slowdown was always the main issue for me with the game, but I frankly don't know how it is when playing it actually on console.

In this video here, the slowdown actually looks ok. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXGMTKp_OxQ
Especially at 11:20, the stage 3 part where the camera has the whole street in the view, the slowdown always was horrible for me, but in this vid it actually looks ok. So I was wondering if that's really how it plays on PS2, or perhaps it is just a very speccy PC?

I've read another way to get rid of the slowdown is also to play it on an old backwards compatible US version PS3. Not sure if I wanna buy a PS3 for this though...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

There's some hardware slowdown when playing on a plain old PS2.

There's basically no hardware slowdown if you're playing on either a PS2-compatible PS3 or in PCSX2.

The emulator may not be able to run the game at full speed in certain spots unless you have a good enough PC. Some examples: while the stage 1 boss is exploding, in stage 3 when the ship is facing into the screen, in stage 4 (very briefly) when you reach the stage 4 boss.
qmish

Post by qmish »

pcsx2 software or hardware? dx9 or dx11?
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Last I checked, DX11 hardware mode was the best choice. It is for most games, even. Software mode is really only used for certain games that absolutely need it, and only if your PC can actually handle it. The DX9 modes are mostly there for (older) PCs that don't support DX11, and it just doesn't run as well. DX9 software mode is brutal...
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Strider77 wrote:worst r-type ever is super r type on snes...... game is in constant slowdown mode.
Strider77 wrote:worst r-type ever is super r type on snes...... game is in constant slowdown mode.

But the soundtrack is so goooood .

Rtype final is a guilty pleasure .
Its fun just pissing around with all the different ships .
The later ships which can one shot everything are cool.

I think a a complete make over and full hd re release would be cool

But i would rather delta get that treatment .

I like the sex stage it makes my beam cannon go tough
Arms installation complete Good luck
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

qmish wrote:pcsx2 software or hardware? dx9 or dx11?
The opengl backend is more accurate and well developed than either dx9 or dx11. Only use hardware if you want to increase the internal resolution or cannot run software at full speed.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Despatche wrote:I didn't wanna say anything else, but I came across Silpheed TLP again, and I got frustrated because that game gets trashed by people much worse than R-Type Final. I kinda wanted to just talk about that game but I don't really have the patience right now.
Silpheed TLP is a good game. R-Type III is okay, a bit easy and the other two force choices don't seem to alter the way you play the game like, say how ship choice in Delta completely changes how you play.

Scoring in Final seems fine to me. Later ships have so much firepower, they can wipe out enemies before they even get on the screen. Forcing the player to grind everything up with the Force for score balances the game somewhat in this respect. Also, it actually seems more difficult to trigger F-A route with the over-powered ships; those blue and red fins get lost in the explosions. Seems like good design??

I disagree that the 45 minute milking was an error. To me, checkpoint-milking/suiciding qualifies as extreme abnormal play, so the 45 minute boss battle (coupled with the missing extends) is just a nice little treat for those guys chasing the WR. The battle will be super annoying without bits anyway; a real endurance test inviting checkpoint-milkers to go even further beyond.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: I disagree that the 45 minute milking was an error...so the 45 minute boss battle (coupled with the missing extends) is just a nice little treat
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:is just a nice little treat
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:nice little treat
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:treat
The anguished, impotent screams of a thousand forsaken souls ripples throughout time and space.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Too bad this is R-Type, where ridiculously extensive checkpoint milking is considered a norm. Praise be to Leo for its equally ridiculous life bonuses, to offer brief respite against that scourge.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

If anyone cares: Both milking sections in R Type and R Type II are about 15 minutes each.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
FRO

Post by FRO »

Plasmo wrote:If anyone cares: Both milking sections in R Type and R Type II are about 15 minutes each.
I'm not familiar with those - where are they, specifically?
ciox

Post by ciox »

They're parts of the stage where there are a lot of enemies between the checkpoint and the boss, so you blow yourself up a bunch of times there to respawn in the right place to get as many points as possible, for the first R-Type the place is in stage 7.

BTW here's a free idea if someone wants to make another R-Type, to make checkpoint milking interesting have it so dying repeatedly in an area does something like spawn new enemies or secret minibosses or something after, say, the first 2 repetitions or so.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

FRO wrote:
Plasmo wrote:If anyone cares: Both milking sections in R Type and R Type II are about 15 minutes each.
I'm not familiar with those - where are they, specifically?
R Type: stage 7 (first loop)
R Type II: stage 12 (second loop)

It's the boss checkpoint each.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

ciox wrote:BTW here's a free idea if someone wants to make another R-Type, to make checkpoint milking interesting have it so dying repeatedly in an area does something like spawn new enemies or secret minibosses or something after, say, the first 2 repetitions or so.
I've got a better idea:
Despatche wrote:Praise be to Leo for its equally ridiculous life bonuses, to offer brief respite against that scourge.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Despatche wrote:I didn't wanna say anything else, but I came across Silpheed TLP again, and I got frustrated because that game gets trashed by people much worse than R-Type Final. I kinda wanted to just talk about that game but I don't really have the patience right now. I'm just gonna say that mentioning it in the same breath as Sine Mora is a truly vile thing to do, and everyone who does it needs to eject themselves from this genre because they are a genuinely broken person (who has likely played neither game, as well).
God, this is some of the most face-palm worthy shit I have ever read on this forum. Get over yourself, dude.
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Shmups community is hipster-central. It's full of retro hipsters who dislike games merely for being 3D or being relatively popular. Either this or they dislike them because they don't have waifus in them. Or maybe because they are not "hardcore" enough. They spend a shitton of money on PCBs and whine about the genre dying, but not buying a single fucking game on Steam, because Steam is not "underground" enough for them. It's not a big surprise to me many here shit a game like R-Type Final or Silpheed.