About differents Pink Sweets version

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

No. I think he made enough Pink Sweets versions as it is.
Harlequin

Post by Harlequin »

EOJ wrote:No. I think he made enough Pink Sweets versions as it is.
Too bad ill never play any of them :(

Harlequin
rtw

Post by rtw »

Radegou wrote:http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 635nh6.jpg

Here you are but its just what i wrote...
Thank you very much :D

May I ask if there is a period at the end ? I.e. like this:

"2006/xx/xx MASTER VER."

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
glitch

Post by glitch »

Radegou wrote:In my version i CANT choose any type of ships.
as in no ship/character select screen?
if so, then who do you get to play?
bombs save lives
Radegou

Post by Radegou »

No glitch i can choose each characters juste the types (A,B,C) doesnt work.

rtw: I guess there is no period
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

No ship types, and no counter for score attack doesn't sound like a later revision of the board to me. But what do I know, I can't read 2ch. :roll:
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Dave_K. wrote:No ship types, and no counter for score attack doesn't sound like a later revision of the board to me. But what do I know, I can't read 2ch. :roll:
Well according to AMI, it is a very late revision. And thus it's absolutely not the loke test version. Full details.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Cool, thanks for sharing!
Radegou

Post by Radegou »

Good stuff EOJ thanks. btw i played Mlejazz's board and it's the not the same (1st revision i guess).

Next time i go to jp i should go to Cave and ask for changing the board!
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Thanks Radegou, I'll update the info.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Radegou wrote:btw i played Mlejazz's board and it's the not the same (1st revision i guess).
Sound like somone needs to contact Mlejazz and get a screen shot of his version.

Bahamut, did you confirm what features are enabled/disabled on your 5/18 version?
Radegou wrote: Next time i go to jp i should go to Cave and ask for changing the board!
Well if this really is the latest revision, I wonder if cave would even offer the services of loading an older version. Probably better to just sell it here or trade/swap for an older version since your board may be rarer than you think.
cools

Re: About differents Pink Sweets version

Post by cools »

Blame Dave_K. for the thread necromancy :)

2006/xx/xx MASTER VER. (with the period) PCB serial E-0158

Only bit of so-far unmentioned weirdness - factory defaults are freeplay, no continues, no extends. If I change any of these and choose load defaults it resets back to these:

Score attack has no counter and 3 ships in stock only.
Using the rosecracker on the trees doesn't release flamingos.
Ship type selection unavailable.
Default high scores are 10000-9000-8000 etc

I can't play much since my vert cab is currently out of action.

Oh, and the CAVE/AMI logo screens have the "odd blue pixels" glitch as seen on Espgaluda 2 boards previously.
cools

Post by cools »

Hardware ver 20051119.

Rank resets on death (visible in special ver, totally obvious in normal)

Scores are only recorded for your first credit. A high score beaten with second credit is ignored.

Setting dip 2 makes the game boot up into test mode, just like Batrider.

Holding down A+B while powering on skips the whole flashing/verification process, the game starts up instantly but with graphical corruption everywhere.

Special Ver is badly broken. Missing character bios (attract mode doesn't advance past a blank bio screen, you have to press start to get past it), high score table screen has no text on it at all. Screen doesn't clear when starting the game, and the demonstration ship moving leaves trails until the ship selection screen appears (which is missing the character pics). The L1 midboss never appears and the game simply sits there and never advances. Trying to enter debug mode locks the game up completely.

Here's the interesting part though - the values in in the special ver ADJUSUT MAX menu are saved, and they are rank increment values. Setting them to minimum or maximum makes the rank display at the top of the screen either sedate or completely mental in special ver. It also feels like they carry over into the normal game, but running it on a hori monitor makes it a tad hard to play - if there's any straightforward way of checking please let me know how to test.

My feeling is the breakage in special mode doesn't point to it being a "late" version at all, and I'd be really interested to know if the ADJUSUT MAX values carry on into the normal game on different version PCBs. The default values in this menu could be interesting too, comparing version differences.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Thanks cools!

Interesting defaults, like it wasn't ready for production yet, so free play, or maybe this is the "limited" home version. :lol:

The "bgm" and "effect" options in the operator menu are not in the 4/6 ver (or any other that I'm aware of). It does look like some early debugging type testing options. Why else would you turn BGM on/off unless it wasn't completed yet. I wonder if all the BGMs are present.

In special mode's operator menu, does it still say '06, xx, xx ver at the bottom right?

Also after booting special mode, when you insert a coin, and then hold down the B button (before starting the game), do you get the hitbox options in the upper left?

The hardware date seems the same as mine.

Here is a pic of Adjust Max defaults for 4/6 ver:

I wonder if the buggy special version is because the game didn't initialize memory (skipping that part). So you may want to try booting up the board (with test dip on), but let it go into the normal game, then hold A+B and Test button to go into Special Mode test screen and select game mode. Does the pause/slow and debug screens work then?

In the op menu, does lives have a multiply mode? Have you tested for infinite lives yet (just up lives to max and extendeds low in the settings).

The "E" serial number is for Espgaluda II, which came out before Pink Sweets, so this is a re-programmed board, giving more weight to an early version, possibly prototype or location test.
cools

Post by cools »

More messing about. Rank doesn't reset on death but the only significant rank decrease comes from losing all your stock. Not all the values in the adjust max screen are rank adjustments, and I'm fairly certain they don't carry over to the normal game now. The "Option" option controls whether you can have 2 or 3 rosebuds in special ver, but you're limited to 2 in the normal game.

The BGM/EFFECT options are only available in freeplay. All the music is present.

'06, xx, xx ver is on the special ops screen.

Hitbox options are available.

The adjust max options are identical.

Special mode after normal boot works correctly, and shows the debug options.

Multiply mode is available. I'll give trying to trigger infinite lives a go but it's awkward playing sideways :lol:
cools

Post by cools »

Okay, cabinet is healthy again and game is installed.

If there's anything you'd like me to check let me know. Triggering infinite lives is my first aim, I'm just playing so badly so far I'm barely scraping a million :lol:
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

One more thing to try, although it will be more difficult to reproduce quickly, is to verify the 1up destruction counter is still 2500 (9c4 in hex). You'd check this by setting the game back to defaults with no extends, and then milking the bosses and mid-bosses aggressively, and you should get an extend after the 2nd mid-boss in stage 2.

I'll have to take a pic of the debug screen to show you where this is stored, but you can get started by finding out where you typically get your first extend. :wink:
cools

Post by cools »

Given this some proper play today, finally!

And... it's screwed. Extends are set to 1m each. I get to the first one mid level 2, then get 2m 3 quarters of the way through level 3 - and no extend. Which slightly annoyed me to say the least.

But I'll now try for the infinite lives bug, setting the stock high to start with. Back in 10.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Wait, in the screen shot of your default settings above, it says "no extra" under extends....how are you then getting score based extends?
cools

Post by cools »

I wasn't playing on defaults :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Oh, I get it, this was an infinite lives fun with 1M extends.
cools

Post by cools »

Confirm, no infinite lives bug in this version. Set extends to 1M, stock to max - score 1M, nothing happens.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I recall needing to pick up an item Extend to trigger infinite lives, not a score one.
IseeThings

Post by IseeThings »

have people considered that the version might become xx/xx if some data the game relies on gets changed / becomes corrupt and it thinks it's some kind of debug/dev version when it isn't? (with all these balance menus it wouldn't surprise me)

remember, these things make permanent changes to their ROM data.

it's one game where it will certainly be interesting to compare the dumps of all the different versions (and that will almost certainly be the only was to see for sure which ones really do look newer, by code analysis)
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

From what I've heard, the only Cave game so far known to make changes to a rom is Deathsmiles. It's possible Pink Sweets did too, I guess.