shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:07 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311
 Post subject: Re: Shmup Ticker: What are you playing RIGHT NOW?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:06 pm 

Banned User

playing games from my prime, mainly samesamesame and raiden, i think samesame is the better game especially in pacing and presentation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:28 pm 

Started attempting Armed Seven on Insane... which was a bit much so I just started attempting it on Hard, which is surprisingly still enough of a jump up given that Normal was literally a first-try 1cc. So far the best attempt is up to the Wall Core boss fight.

Spread Shot + Missiles + Napalm seems to be the best Survival Focused setup I can think of. Ain't exactly getting too many x5's here but it manages the popcorn well enough and also helps in blowing off the guns of the slightly stronger guys, then the frequent Napalms can finish everything else off quick enough. Pilebunker is tempting for the bullet-erasing abilities, but idk if that's better than Napalm being able to just blow up swaths of dudes before they get to shoot at all, and not having to get close to bosses to keep up the DPS on them.

Main problem I'm having with the game is just keeping track of shit. Feels like the explosions and shrapnel and such can end up taking over the visuals. The hitbox indicator on the player is kinda subtle so I lose track of it in the chaos sometimes. The weirdest part tho is that when you're out of shield and take a hit, its like the player sprite just completely disappears for a second - almost like when watching a 30 FPS video of a 60 FPS game where the character is supposed blink during mercy frames, but in the video just kinda vanishes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:12 am 

Just got me a PS4 copy of Battle Garegga. Played it a bit at a retro convention a few years back and again at Ghost Arcade when I visited Chicago last year , but now I can put some serious time into it. Love the game, even though Im not very good at it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:07 am 

Still chipping away at Zeroranger. Got to the skull boss on 1 credit, which is my best so far. I actually thought I had played a lot, but steam reckons I've only put in 14 hours, which is pretty low over the course of a few months. Still, loving the game. Can see my self playing it for a long time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:14 am 

Leviathan wrote:
Still chipping away at Zeroranger. Got to the skull boss on 1 credit, which is my best so far. I actually thought I had played a lot, but steam reckons I've only put in 14 hours, which is pretty low over the course of a few months. Still, loving the game. Can see my self playing it for a long time.

I've been hooked on this a bit as well, playing quite a lot this past weekend in particular. Made it to the boss of Stage 2-2 on one credit, but I haven't made it farther yet. Stage 2 on Loop 2 gives me a lot of trouble. Great game overall though--the variety is through the roof.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 pm 

Darius Darius Darius, my life is Darius...

I've had very little game time this week, but I spent the precious few hours I had getting 1ccs in Darius Twin (SFC and SNES), Darius II MD, and Sagaia SMS. The only thing on the collection I haven't 1cced at least one course in is Force, just because I haven't put any time in yet. Force can be pretty tough, so I expect that one to take up most of next week.

Sagaia SMS was last night's project and I was just so blown away at the miracles they were able to pull off with that hardware. It's a legitimately great game.

Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 am 

Thanks to the new SNES app on the Switch, I've been playing the solitary shmup available, Jaleco's Super EDF. This is one plodding game.. and the homing weapon is practically broken but I'm now determined to SCC this mess.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 pm 

TGS got me hyped up for R-Type Final 2, so I decided to try and put some real time into R-Type 3 and get the clear. I'm still working through it and was really loving it until stage four, but gahddamn what a slog that is. Definitely one of my most hated STG stages. The only thing that makes it bearable is the checkpoint system and infinite continues. It's essentially like playing with save states so you can learn the one single badly telegraphed route the game is demanding you take. I'm sure the stage will be easy once I've learned the route though. Hopefully I have enough play time to at least credit feed my way to the end tonight.

Image Image

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311