shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:24 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Restart Syndrome - High Score Boards
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:50 am 

The High Score forum here is a great place for competition, but there are certain limitations that come with manually maintained scoreboards that can discourage participation. And although I love that so many people are willing to invest their own time to keep worldwide competition alive, it really is dreadfully boring work.

A few months ago I launched Restart Syndrome, a shmup score tracker similar to Solid State Squad (formerly VJ Army, the inspiration for this project) for Beatmania IIDX, Score Hero for Guitar Hero, etc. To date we accept scores for over 100 games, for which there are well over 300 individual scoreboards for each different game mode. And new games are being added several times a week!

Aside from instantly adding your scores to the database, the site can also:

- Filter the scoreboard by platform, ship, or into special sub-boards when applicable. (Sub-boards for Omote/Ura loops, for example)
- Keep track of your progress for individual games. Example
- Provide an overview of all your high scores and clears. See mine
- Export a summary of your high scores to BB code for easy crossposting to forums.

It doesn't matter if you want to enter every run you do; the system handles all the hard work and gives you a pretty little list of your activity and progress.

Of course, the main attraction is the scoreboards themselves, and they're only get better with your help. So come on! If you aren't a member we'd love to have you join and show off your stuff. If you run into any bugs, or have any suggestions or requests for games to add post them here or shoot me a PM, and I'll add them to my list.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to the site so far, and everyone who's interested in doing so in the future!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Restart Syndrome - High Score Boards
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35 am 

I like maintaining all these threads, though I can tell you that it's not the method, but the people. You'll get this too, and I don't have to guarantee it. What's "dreadfully boring" is very few wanting to play these games.

dumb:
-change MAME to "Emulator" and have people put emulator and version in the comment or somewhere
-monospace the world, maybe even a dark theme
-obviously i'd like all these little dumb differentiation things (individual releases, player side) because games are dumb and like to hide all these differences just for the hell of it, especially older games (argh r-type leo ARGH RAIDEN). we need notes for all this bullshit. i've always wanted some movement to find all this crap and store it somewhere.
-add raiden/raiden ii/viper phase 1 just so we can have them all
-maybe add dodonpachi arrange
-bwrp has an accel version of every mode. also, what about things like wait etc?
-touhous should have their regular titles, so most of them should go under t
-cave was weird with esprade, either move to "Esprade" (cave does this) like with espgaluda or "ESP Ra.De."
-not sure people would for elemental gearbolt being a shmup, unless you wanna put up sin and punishment or time crisis (that'd be cool actually! i want a database for video games that isn't useless like cyberscore or twin galaxies)
-not sure why dfk 1.5 isn't separated by ship type as well, i've seen those records
-noticing things like "saturn mode" and then all these non-saturn platforms, i assume it's something with the system that you can't fix?
-12.02.2011 goes to 01.24.11 :V
-"enteries" on userpages

btw i like how you have a 1 round board for dojbl and boards for exceed 3rd, i also like how you deny cave's dumbness with donpachi games and just write the titles as they should be

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 am 

Made an account but says could not login. And I think i've typed my password correctly a couple times now...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:06 am 

EPS21 wrote:
Made an account but says could not login. And I think i've typed my password correctly a couple times now...
Yeah same for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 am 

Same here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:34 am 

Did that just happen? I made an account when I posted and it works fine, except I can't change my info. I assume that's because I haven't submitted anything, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 pm 

Excellent work. :D
Just registered!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 am 

Everyone who is having trouble logging in, check your PMs. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue and don't see any obvious cause in the code, but hopefully a quick password reset will fix things up.

Despatche wrote:
-obviously i'd like all these little dumb differentiation things (individual releases, player side) because games are dumb and like to hide all these differences just for the hell of it, especially older games (argh r-type leo ARGH RAIDEN). we need notes for all this bullshit. i've always wanted some movement to find all this crap and store it somewhere.

-add raiden/raiden ii/viper phase 1 just so we can have them all

I've tried to account for the differences I was aware of such as version differences and differences between 1P and 2P, but if I've missed anything or it can be done better let me know. Like you said, older games can be really torturous to add for these reasons (I watched full runs of every port of Parodius Da on Youtube and made lists of which games had which levels). Still, I'll see what I can do to understand raiden 1/2/viper and get them up.

Quote:
-bwrp has an accel version of every mode. also, what about things like wait etc?

Can add Accel in there. I can add Wait as a secondary option, similar to Mushihimesama's option for rapid fire on/off, and set up Wait On/Off sub-boards.

Quote:
-not sure people would for elemental gearbolt being a shmup, unless you wanna put up sin and punishment or time crisis (that'd be cool actually! i want a database for video games that isn't useless like cyberscore or twin galaxies)

Oops. I added Elemental Gearbolt while I was testing with just me because I was playing Elemental Gearbolt. I thought I dropped it - I'll pull it out, but I agree that it would be nice to have a system like this for a wider varieties of games in the future!

Quote:
-not sure why dfk 1.5 isn't separated by ship type as well, i've seen those records

Ship types are separated in sub boards, which are selectable while viewing the score board. They're not really different modes the same way BL's Styles are so I've kept them all under the Arcade Mode banner, with the option to break them out since I know that's important to people with DFK.

Quote:
-noticing things like "saturn mode" and then all these non-saturn platforms, i assume it's something with the system that you can't fix?

If you mean the filter fields on the scoreboards, it's a tough one to tackle because the fields don't re-populate themselves when the others change. I'm sure there's a way to requery everything if one of those fields changes but I haven't really looked into it yet; in the meantime I think the situation you're describing is fortunately fairly rare.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:30 am 

Make sure not to forget Wait On/Off for Eden's Aegis too. Though some scores are already submitted to that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:15 am 

Looks pretty good, but does this have cat/sailboat mode? :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:03 am 

Still wanting that secret ship option for Judgment SilverSword so I can submit my Normal, Hard, and Special Mode 1ccs that used it. That and I'd love to easily keep track of my scores with both ships.

Not sure if these particular ones can be fixed without causing any issue, but

1. Judgment SilverSword Easy does not get access to Area 31. Area 31 is Normal and Hard only.

2. Judgment SilverSword Special Mode should only have 9 stages + All as stage choices. It's a boss rush mode with

Mitsurugi
Magnificence
Mirror Shield
Transcendence( Special Mode Only boss)
Double Mirror Shield
Mitsurugi Revenge
Divine Flow
Divine Expression
E3(Special Mode Only boss)

3. Mushihimesama Futari's Novice Ultra mode does have Stage 5 boss 2, but Stage 5 boss 3 does not exist on it. Stage 5 Boss 3 is 1.5 Ultra only.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:40 pm 

I could swear I added the Special ship. :?

It's there now, along with the stage edits you provided. Thanks for pointing those out!

I also updated the score entry form so that items with long titles don't mess with the table's width, and so that the form won't clear itself if you make a mistake on one of the fields - I know some people reported entering scores with commas, and having to reenter everything when they got an error.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm 

The site is FREAKING AWESOME!
Simple, clean, well done with all the information needed.
Great job!
I decided to play some (heh "some") DFKBL and got a score I'm really proud of. And woah do my ears hurt... The soundtrack is AWESOME.
Someone challenge me now, so I can get the IMMA BEAT THAT GUY-motivation

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:49 pm 

Why the hell hasn't this been stickied yet.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm 

Deca wrote:
Why the hell hasn't this been stickied yet.

sticky Sticky STICKY STICKYSTICKYSTICKYSTICKY.

I'm with Deca.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 pm 

Just registered and I'm getting the same "could not log in" issue as the others. Halp

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:21 pm 

This should be stickied at Hi Scores.
I wonder how many people playing for score are actually looking for a site like this

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:11 pm 

Good Stuff! Works fine.
Sticky it and keep it running for a few decades.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 pm 

Just by registering, I have already noticed a security issue (limitation on password maximum length implies a... less than good thing, in addition to being inherently bad). If you'd like me to audit your code for security issues and fix them, feel free to let me know! :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:22 am 

I posted my score for Progear a while ago. Just to be a dick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:30 am 

CSF, would it be possible to add an overall ranking for players with the most clears and/or a board where people get weighted scores depending on how high they rank on the boards (where having a 1st place score on a board with 10 players is worth more than a 1st place score on a board with only 2 players)? The old victoly boards had this feature and I thought it was a fun distraction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:34 am 

Please add Hitogata Happa.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:39 am 

NTSC-J wrote:
CSF, would it be possible to add an overall ranking for players with the most clears and/or a board where people get weighted scores depending on how high they rank on the boards (where having a 1st place score on a board with 10 players is worth more than a 1st place score on a board with only 2 players)? The old victoly boards had this feature and I thought it was a fun distraction.

Threw together a clear ranking. Will probably need to spruce it up a bit, but for now I think my highest priority is finding something to clear so I can un-tie Erppo.

http://www.restartsyndrome.com/clears.php

I've been thinking of a way to assign points to rank on the boards, but I've had trouble figuring out how to make it happen. Your rank on a particular board isn't recorded anywhere; the little numbers on the side are generated along with the page. I've wanted to do things like put your place on the board next to your high score as well in the board list, but same problem. It will probably take some tweaking of the back end.

Hitogata Happa is added. I've been working on throwing all of Toaplan's stuff up lately, and adding a game that doesn't have absurd stage designations and several very different versions and different names etc was very nice.

EDIT: I also updated the game select page; with 160 games it had become far too long. Let me know if anyone has any problems with the new page, I tested it in IE, FireFox and Chrome but I'm always worried that I've inadvertently broken something.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:58 am 

I'll have to load up Hitogata Happa tomorrow so that I can post my not good scores.

Oh, and you definitely have a lot of good choices for clears.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 am 

CStarFlare wrote:
Threw together a clear ranking. Will probably need to spruce it up a bit, but for now I think my highest priority is finding something to clear so I can un-tie Erppo.

Or I could just throw in a whole bunch of different difficulty Touhou clears with crappy scores. :lol:

Also I still think the total score display is the best measure of player ranking!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 am 

CStarFlare wrote:

http://www.restartsyndrome.com/clears.php

Cool! Scrubby filler clears here I come.

Erppo wrote:
Also I still think the total score display is the best measure of player ranking!

If not for Giga Wing Generations, I would agree with you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:12 pm 

I dunno....but do you want to add Strike Witches?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 pm 

You put Sphere 13 as a doll choice on Solo Voyage instead of Fool. I can't submit my Nobilmente Solo Voyage score due to this. You're also missing Assam as a choice.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:18 am 

Sorry about that, I think I've fixed the issue that made dolls not show up. Can you not select Sphere 13 in Solo Voyage? All my Hitogata knowledge comes from random websites.

DEL: I'll shoot you a PM; I'd like to make sure I get Strike Witches' character selections right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm 

For some reason, modifying a score for Triggerheart Exelica (PS2 - Arcade) will clear the comment for the score. It said something about getting three arguments when expecting two (or vice-versa) on line 252 of modify.php, so maybe it's caused by the extra option compared to most games. Also, if one person has two records with the same score, it will show both on the ranking board.

By the way, it's not a problem (right now), but as a warning, really good scores for Alternative Sphere can barely be entered into the site, as it only allows 21 digits for score. Thankfully, the highest scores for any mode are around 180,000,000,000,000,000,000, so I don't see that causing a problem any time soon, but I didn't realize before now that it's far worse than Giga Wing Generations.
Also, A and B stages for Alternative Sphere are notated like 2-B, as opposed to 2B, if it's not inconvienient to fix.

Offline Profile