shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Senko no Ronde 2 announced for PS4 and PC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:36 pm 

MR_Soren wrote:
...watching you complain about every steam release for the past 10 years has grown increasingly annoying.

This cancer really only took hold in a significant way with 2014's Ikaruga and 2015's Mushihimesama. Before that, DRM in PC shmup ports was an almost non-existent phenomenon. I've never felt the need to speak up loudly about it until recently. I thought this genre was too niche to be wrapped up in the anti-consumer behavior that's infected the rest of the industry. It's becoming very clear that if we don't start picking our standards up off the floor this is going to be the future of all "PC" shmup releases. I'm sorry it can't always be adulation and roses for a shmup release, but sometimes you've got to call out problems. I'd rather the future of releases look more like Blue Revolver than Ikaruga.

MR_Soren wrote:
Game publishers do not care what we say here.

Developers and publishers do stop by from time to time actually. I can name direct interactions for example with DotEmu, Degica, and Shin'en developers (they liked the GameFAQs boards). A fair number of other Western indie shmup developers too (some of which came here before making their game).

And I think it was on GameFAQs' failed attempt at a general shmups forum. I was one of the people who first pushed for that board's creation. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:50 pm 

MathU wrote:
Before that, DRM in PC shmup ports was an almost non-existent phenomenon.

Commercial PC shmup ports in general was an almost non-existent phenomenon.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:44 pm 

I like to imagine the president of Degica twirling his mustache and chuckling with evil glee as he announces, "Otomedius Uncensored will be on Steam only." Lightning flashes in the background as the tears stream down your face. It's all over now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:43 pm 

TIL that PC stg ports give you cancer. Guess I better go to chemo before i clear stage IV.

seraph wrote:
maximo310 wrote:
I only play my PC games on my steam machine; it even comes with retro 18th century aesthetics and functionality.

How many workers did you have to hire to run each button's steam engine, Maximo? Also I am curious about the number of pixels per acre. It sounds like you're really reliving the golden days here. :3

We typically hire around 5-7 people per button ( it used to be 60-70 before the industrial revolution feveron spread throughout the world), with an output of 1.61803398875 pixels per acre. This is only possible because i am the reincarnation of charles babbage :idea: .
Discord

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm 

Linking online scoreboard entries to your Steam ID seems like a generally safer and more convenient method. Steam also already has a built-in Leaderboards solution which some games like ALLTYNEX Second and RefRain use, which I also guess cuts down on server hosting costs for the developer. Furthermore, I'm sure Senkoro 2 will feature online multiplayer, and for online multiplayer you generally want to have some anti-cheat solution and an account system to play with some friends, which are things Steam can easily offer, and it makes cross-platform development easier as for the PS4 version they'll already utilize something similar with your PSN account. It's more convenient for both the developer and customer. In the case of online multiplayer functions without dedicated servers (something I doubt Senkoro features), Steam already provides a solid framework. I guess there's GoG Galaxy for your DRM-free multiplayer needs, though I'm not sure how that'd really work.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:33 am 

I hope it has cross-platform multiplayer. I'd hate to see such a niche game end up with a split playerbase.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:36 pm 

MathU wrote:
Developers and publishers do stop by from time to time actually. I can name direct interactions for example with DotEmu, Degica, and Shin'en developers (they liked the GameFAQs boards). A fair number of other Western indie shmup developers too (some of which came here before making their game).

Visiting and caring are two separate things. I'm mostly thinking about Reiker from Sine Mora coming in here (perhaps doing marketing under the guise of soliciting feedback) prior to the game's release, and the finished game ignored every suggestion that was made here.

Anyway, I do think you might have more success expressing your wishes directly to the publishers in writing. I'm sure they'll still ignore you unless they get enough requests, but at least it guarantees that your words reach the right people.

Quote:
And I think it was on GameFAQs' failed attempt at a general shmups forum. I was one of the people who first pushed for that board's creation. ;)

Oh, that could be it! Yeah, it never really took off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:03 pm 

I played Wartech: Senko no Ronde on 360 and it seemed kinda junky to me. Was Duo a lot better or do I just not particularly care for this series?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm 

The later. DUO is more of the same with more chars, better graphics and assist mechanics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm 

DUO's a bunch better than the first game... but it's still a fair bit naff.
Not sure if I'll pick this up.

it honestly doesn't help that Acceleration of Suguri has proven to basically be this concept but faster and more fun

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:19 pm 

oh no suguri holywar

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:05 am 

Special World wrote:
I played Wartech: Senko no Ronde on 360 and it seemed kinda junky to me. Was Duo a lot better or do I just not particularly care for this series?

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, but DUO is much better.

KAI wrote:
The later. DUO is more of the same with more chars, better graphics and assist mechanics.

Wrong. The gameplay itself is also better. You'd know this if you played it competitively.

null1024 wrote:
DUO's a bunch better than the first game... but it's still a fair bit naff.
Not sure if I'll pick this up.

it honestly doesn't help that Acceleration of Suguri has proven to basically be this concept but faster and more fun

How can a single post contain so many wrong opinions? :(

I thought you were one of the good ones.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:33 am 

Cuilan wrote:
KAI wrote:

Wrong. The gameplay itself is also better. You'd know this if you played it competitively.

Yeah, I love the new shield and counter-boss mechanics and the movement feels much better (I always thought the dash cancel was slow as shit in SP), but the controls are almost the same.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:51 am 

Cuilan wrote:
How can a single post contain so many wrong opinions? :(

I thought you were one of the good ones.

They're pretty okay opinions. :lol:
I don't [and won't] make any claims about AoS's balance, though -- I'm not great at either series.
but ultimately, I've enjoyed AoS tons more than the SnR series, and it is an objectively faster series [seriously, it's like comparing oratan to force or marz in terms of speed]
and DUO is a bunch better than the first SnR

Basically, there's one bit that you can disagree with, and that's AoS being better than SnR -- one "wrong" opinion shouldn't rank as "so many wrong opinions", m90. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:21 am 

KAI wrote:
Yeah, I love the new shield and counter-boss mechanics and the movement feels much better (I always thought the dash cancel was slow as shit in SP), but the controls are almost the same.

I dunno about that. The special moves were considerably streamlined, and there are no variations between characters so there's less to memorize.

null1024 wrote:
They're pretty okay opinions. :lol:
I don't [and won't] make any claims about AoS's balance, though -- I'm not great at either series.
but ultimately, I've enjoyed AoS tons more than the SnR series, and it is an objectively faster series [seriously, it's like comparing oratan to force or marz in terms of speed]
and DUO is a bunch better than the first SnR

Basically, there's one bit that you can disagree with, and that's AoS being better than SnR -- one "wrong" opinion shouldn't rank as "so many wrong opinions", m90. :P

Nope.

Objectively wrong opinion #1: "Senko is naff"

Objectively wrong opinion #2: "AoS is better than Senko"

Stop being wrong. I want to like you again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 am 

null1024 wrote:

I definitely like Shi no Rondo better than Aria of Sorrow. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 am 

Cuilan wrote:
Objectively wrong opinion #1: "Senko is naff"

Objectively wrong opinion #2: "AoS is better than Senko"

Stop being wrong. I want to like you again.

People who use the word "objective" to describe "opinions" are bad and you should feel bad.

1cc list | Twitch | YouTube

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:39 am 

Shepardus wrote:
People who use the word "objective" to describe "opinions" are bad and you should feel bad.

What makes me feel bad is that your opinion is objectively wrong too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:43 pm 

Cuilan-sensei, please teach me about Senko no Ronde. It's my first time but you don't have to be gentle with me. (˶◕‿◕˶✿)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:56 pm 

Honestly, I'd love a few pointers on play myself. Maybe I can be decent at at least one competitive game we release... (I am currently "get trashed regularly" at Koihime Enbu >_>).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:24 am 

seraph wrote:
Cuilan-sensei, please teach me about Senko no Ronde. It's my first time but you don't have to be gentle with me. (˶◕‿◕˶✿)

If you can't wait until Senko 2 releases, you'll need a 360, XBL Gold, and a copy of Rev.X

NickPalmerDegica wrote:
Honestly, I'd love a few pointers on play myself. Maybe I can be decent at at least one competitive game we release... (I am currently "get trashed regularly" at Koihime Enbu >_>).

General tips:

Don't use your BOSS stocks unless you find yourself in 3 very specific situations (your opponent is very low on health and you are 99% certain you can kill them while your BOSS is active, you are low on health and plan to use your BOSS to recover some of your health bar, your health is completely gone and it's your only chance at winning).

Stay out of melee range if you don't know how to counter.

Stay on the move, dash-attack whenever possible.

Pretty much all characters have at least one attack that can nullify enemy bullets, learn how to use them.

Assuming Senko 2 is a remake of DUO, make sure to use your assists every round. Unlike BOSS stock, these don't carry over if you don't use them.

If it's safe to do so, activate barrier and start shooting at your opponent while wiggling the stick, your bullets will travel faster and/or cover a wider area this way.

Also assuming this is a remake of DUO, be careful when using the M+S melee attack, as it will leave you vulnerable immediately after it ends. This melee attack can also be activated in the middle of a dash, and no lock-on is needed.

The more full your special meter is, the more health your BOSS will have. This is especially important to keep in mind if you plan on using it to recover some health.

If you're going to use your BOSS to recover health, play as defensively as you can while in BOSS mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 pm 

Cuilan wrote:
Stay on the move, dash-attack whenever possible.

Dash attacks usually have punishable recovery time (which can make the game feel sluggish for sure if you use them as your go-to attack..) so I wouldnt recommend just throwing them out in neutral situation. Much like doing running attacks in a 2D fighter instead of cancelling the run, its a big commitment. Some characters like sakurako and fabian have it especially bad so they're more comfortable dash cancelling into other things. Same deal in virtual-on series but in VOOT its difficult to reaction punish some characters because of game speed.

In Rev.X/SP if you know your opponent is going to use a boss and you know how to fight it activate overdrive (double damage dealt/received) pre-emptively to prevent it from healing or get a final boss kill.
In DUO the new special melee attack is good for cancelling bullets during boss fights or as a very quick melee strike mid-dash.

I've barely played DUO against people but healing with bosses looks a lot more difficult? the cores are easier to hit and the opponent has access to bombs which can quickly take them down. If your character has a weak boss those bombs can really come in handy. Dont use bosses at low charge if your opponent knows what he is doing. If he takes it down he gains maximum charge and you wasted the most valuable resource. In Rev.X at least people usually use one boss to heal and then another as final boss or finisher. If you enter the third round with 0-1 stock and your opponent has 2 you're at a major disadvantage.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 pm 

I was never any good at Senko no Ronde, though I did receive a bit of training through the boss battle with Hibaru in Sin and Punishment: Star Successor and playing that Touhou fangame on the PS4.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:29 am 

I am so glad this isn't on the One.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 am 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57416 ... o_Ronde_2/
September 9th release

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:24 am 

Gespenst wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/574160/Senko_no_Ronde_2/
September 9th release

Quote:
Senko no Ronde 2 旋光の輪舞2

Quote:
旋光の輪舞2

Uhh...

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:04 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8TC5RP1GVc

Anyone see the opening movie yet? And the jazzy music has a very Darius feel to it, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

The game looks worst than DUO, why?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:39 pm 

Some gameplay changes looking at the livestream. Upon damaging your opponent they spray out charge-items which are a major source of recovering your gauge. I guess this is to encourage moving around and getting up close but don't see how that would work with a couple characters unless they get changed a lot (Sakurako?). Also looked like there are alternate versions of assists? There was a frontal version of the circular barrier assist, might be shield + assist.

Not a fan of the new character art or UI but this could be the best version gameplay balance wise and that's great.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 pm 

Gespenst wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/574160/Senko_no_Ronde_2/
September 9th release

Thought it was September 7th.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next