My shooter (beta)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
battlegorge

My shooter (beta)

Post by battlegorge »

This is an oldscool shooter based on a gameboy game from 1989.
4 of 6 stages are done, stage 5 has a dead end.

Some impressions and suggestions would be nice. :)
And you can send me a replay if you want.

You can download the first beta version here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/26703879/Tes ... n.zip.html
http://gimehost.com/v/4624657/1153813547177.zip.html
Last edited by battlegorge on Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Wow, I'm impressed. I have a soft spot for Solar Striker so I'm liking this very much.

Played Easy only once or twice, but the Hard mode...very fun. I had difficulties just getting past the first boss until I ran the text.exe, the one without sync (didn't experience any technical hiccups, either), and then I got to Stage 4's boss thanks to the steady framerate. Oddly the Stage 2 boss feels a lot easier than the Stage 1 boss, mainly because taking out the destroyable parts doesn't result in a different kind of firepower being thrown at you, unlike with the first boss. Plus the first boss' patterns are more tight and harder to squeeze through.

Stage 3 boss' second form is highly annoying thanks to the ship's narrow firing arc. It's doable, but tricky. The last form was considerably easier (but looked cooler ;) ).

The way you updated the bosses is very cool - they're easily recognizable from their GB ancestors, but the new attacks and destroyable parts make them feel totally fresh.

Few quirks: I didn't feel any difference between "Accurate" and "Fast" control. The ability to speed up or skip the score count at the end of stage or death would be appreciated. Also it would be nice to be able to enter one's name via the keyboard or a screen with all the available characters visible.

Definately looking forward to the completed game.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Very nice so far :)

There tends to be real slowdowns at certain points in the game, where the FPS drops below 30. Maybe you're not dereferencing some objects or something.

But yes, as Ghegs said, looking forward to seeing more of this.

edit: I'd look at how you're allocating whatever buffer you render to... seems it might be allocating an amount for fullscreen (at the highest resolution) yet not using it?

Bill
Adigun A. Polack

Here is my say on your game so far.

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

Not only do I agree with Ghegs, battlegorge, but I believe as well that it brings back such *awesome* memories to the original GameBoy game SolarStriker and then some!! d=:D=b

Man, not only have you made it so faithful to the original so far, but you did something truly fresh with it, too (like adding in some new forms to some of the later bosses, which was really cool, I thought! ;) ).

Overall, I too am looking forward to the completed game of yours!! Great work!!! :cool:=b
tiktak

Post by tiktak »

Can I run it on Linux?;p
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

tiktak wrote:Can I run it on Linux?;p
Shave those sideburns you hippy ;)

Bill
battlegorge

Post by battlegorge »

The red gamemaker ball says: no Linux

Nice that someone liked the game!
Reaching the 4th boss on hard the first day is not bad :D

I will make the second boss harder and add a function to speed up the score count.
The accurate control method has a reduced diagonal speed and you move up/down slower but its only a small difference.

Slowdowns down to 30 fps are a bit strange, it goes only down to 50 on my old pc. The test.exe without sync stays at 60.
I think the problem is the mp3 music with gamemaker.
I am going to use Shaltif's sxms DLL in the next version, this could make it much faster.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

I'd really love to try it but I think my computer's too old. When I start the app it says to make sure my grafix card meets the min requirements and make sure my drivers are updated :cry:

-Segasonicfan
Grindie

Post by Grindie »

I'd love to try this sucka out, but Rapidshare hates me... and I hate it! Can you upload it somewhere else?
battlegorge

Post by battlegorge »

Segasonicfan do you have the latest DirectX installed.
You need at least dx8 and a graphics card with 16 mb video memory.

And i added a second download mirror in the first post.
Grindie

Post by Grindie »

I think it's a fine shmup, but nothing about it really stands out. It just seems like the standard.
MaNaRaMa

Post by MaNaRaMa »

Nice game Battlegorge, I've never played the orignal game but this looks very smooth!
Grindie

Post by Grindie »

MaNaRaMa wrote:Nice game Battlegorge, I've never played the orignal game but this looks very smooth!
Whoops!

I forgot this is a remake based on an old game. In that case, it's perfect.
R_Typist

Post by R_Typist »

I know the original Solar Striker. I played it once (it was a friend's game) and I lost quickly because of my pathetic reflexes.

This is a very very nice shmup. It's simple and the bosses are interesting and a blast to battle.

Keep it up.
Fellow Shmuppers:
"Come... join us... .... be a xenophile."
battlegorge

Post by battlegorge »

I am nearly finished :) .
The last 2 bosses are in and the slowdowns are nearly gone.
Heres a little video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeC7FzwJJeA
battlegorge

Post by battlegorge »