JogCon controller questions...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

JogCon controller questions...

Post by dave4shmups »

Just found out about this controller today; how does it handle? It looks like it has a big dial in the middle of it that you'd use to steer:

http://namco-ch.net/jog-con/index.php

but even with those pictures, it's hard to tell.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JogCon

Sounds pretty cool! Maybe with this I'd actually be able to win a race in Ridge Racer V! :lol:
Farewell to hollow words
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

I still have that thing, came packaged with RR4. Handles very well. A friend and I both had been using NegCon controllers for RR up to that point, he dismissed the JogCon and I gave it some practice. We ended up having a battle of controllers racing each other after a while. Close battles, neither of us doubted its validity as a racing controller after that. I've got big hands though, maybe that helped in making the thumb control in the middle that bit more relaxed (he's a wee fella and thought the thing was handrape).

EDIT: In response to Ds post below, that FF thing kills control, needs to be turned really low or off. You could do this in RR4, the strongest setting was...well, surprising.
Last edited by Bingo on Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
D

Post by D »

It sucks ass and it's ugly as hell, the dial is really heavy and has some sort of force feedback mechanism, avoid at all cost. Unlike the NEGCON which is pretty good, try that or try another controller (which you like better for steering) with an adapter for your ps2.
PErsonally I like the DC controller for steering.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

D wrote:It sucks ass and it's ugly as hell, the dial is really heavy and has some sort of force feedback mechanism, avoid at all cost. Unlike the NEGCON which is pretty good, try that or try another controller (which you like better for steering) with an adapter for your ps2.
PErsonally I like the DC controller for steering.
OK, well thanks for the feedback. So how does the Negcon controller work; do you twist both sides of it? I do have big hands as well, so that wouldn't be a problem for me.
Farewell to hollow words
D

Post by D »

Ah the negcon, handles just like that you twist it.
What is this turning into a ps peripheral forum now? anyway, the negcon is really recommended, offcourse steering with let's say a dc controller is much more relaxing. But the negcon is very fast and precise, could be used as an exercising mechanism :)
Also the negcon should be cheap, but I'd go for a brand new one, since it's hard to tell if it had heavy abuse. It's not that fragile, but you can tell if it is new or 2nd hand.

Good luck soldier
PC Engine Fan X!

The 411 on the NegCon & JogCon controllers...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

NeGcon is short for "New Generation Controller" that was Namco's response to making the original Ridge Racer game for the PSX console platform. In it's original Japanese "black" colored incarnation, it looks super sexy. For the USA NeGcon release, it was released with an "all-white" colored body...very different look but still the same ol' lovable NeGcon that everyone loves. In fact, SCEA were the ones to originally distribute the "white" colored NeGcon controllers themselves...I had to pay through the nose to get one brand new -- MSRP $49.99 USD back in December of 1997. Worth every penny though! ^_~

I like how the buttons "A" & "B" are fully analog...push them all the way down & it really does make playing Wipeout XL on the PSX feel like you're going 'wicked fast'! ^_~

One can use the NeGcon with the PSX version of Tempest X3 but it really doesn't replicate the "true" arcade spinner knob of the original Tempest arcade game though -- although the Namco produced rotatary knob controller for the Japanese PSX console is compatible with it as well. ^_~

As for the Jogcon, it only works with two games: the PSX versions of Japanese / USA / PAL format Ridge Racer Type 4 and the PS2 game of Ridge Racer V. There was talk about having Digital Polyphony include Jogcon support with the release of SCEI's Gran Turismo 3 but they decided to go with the Logitech Racing Force/Driving Force Force-Feedback Steering Wheel controller setup instead...so Jogcon support got axed. ^_~

Back in early 2000, one could buy brand new 'boxed" Jogcon from Japanese sidewalk vendors for a mere 500 yen...and that was a very good cheap-ass price for one. I paid $110.00 USD for a limited edition Japanese PSX import Ridge Racer Type 4 boxed set with Jogcon back in March of 1999. In May of 1999, Namco released the USA limited edition RR4 boxed packaged deal with Jogcon for a mere $59.99 USD. (The latter was a better deal IMHO though -- only if I had just waited a few months more and not have to pay so much dinero for the Japanese RR4 with Jogcon combo deal.) ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Negcon is so much better than Jogcon. As a huge RR fan, I'd have to recommend you not get the Jogcon. I can best the top 100 R4 JP times on most tracks with the normal DS and Negcon, but can't with the Jogcon since it just doesn't feel controllable enough to play with IMO.

RRV is almost as easy once you get used to the heavy understeering, which requires you to drift most turns. You just need more practice, that's all.