Erppo

Re: Dragon Blaze *new thread*

Post by Erppo »

My take on the "Learn DB in a day" challenge:

Erppo - 946,600 - Rob - 2-1
ZengarZombolt

Post by ZengarZombolt »

RNGmaster wrote: Oh, well, the loop will certainly be a fun challenge for us three.
RNGmaster wrote: us three.
SUP
ZengarZombolt // 1,336,500 // Rob // 2-4
STGT 2011 - #5
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Ulp!

Glad to see the resurgence of interest in this game. Nice score, especially considering you're using Rob. How much did you end the first loop with, out of curiosity?
ZengarZombolt

Post by ZengarZombolt »

RNGmaster wrote:How much did you end the first loop with, out of curiosity?
About 990k, more or less. This is completely disregarding all coin chests but the stage 7 ones, so I can break 1mil easily.
STGT 2011 - #5
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

And chests are 25k each, so that'd add 150,000 to your score if you got 6 more chests. All of the chests are easy except the Stage 6 one, and that can be handled using Rob's awesome side laser to clear off the gremlins in the center of the screen.

I'm getting closer to no-missing the first loop, but there are more bomb points than I'd like. And it all falls apart in Stage 2-1 anyway... :cry:
Naut

Post by Naut »

Naut - 896,200 - Ian - 2-2

fuck scoring amirite
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Will team Touhou Is Harder please stop making me feel inadequate?

Managed a nice bomb distribution for the Stage 6 boss. As it turns out, one bomb with Quaid lasts long enough to get you through the scary wavy pattern before it even starts. Could no-miss the first loop once I polish up Stage 6. After that, though, jesus christ the loop.
ZengarZombolt

Post by ZengarZombolt »

RNGmaster wrote:Will team Touhou Is Harder please stop making me feel inadequate?
:cry:
ZengarZombolt // 1,444,700 // Sonia // 2-3
Rob's mines were killing the chest holding items by accident, so changed to Sonia and had an excellent result.
STGT 2011 - #5
TLB

Post by TLB »

m3tall1ca // 763,700 // Rob // 2-1

The one-day challenge. I had to get up early to do this before work. Took about 4 hours.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Seeing how this game has gotten active lately, clocking 4 hours in mame:

Resume - 1,104,900 - Quaid - 2-1

If it weren't for the fact this game is only 12 minutes long per loop this game would be a complete nightmare to loop lol.
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

You all gotta be kidding me. :/
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Holy shit, nice survival play, everyone. Having a lot of trouble on the 2-1 boss right now myself.

How the hell can you guys do in one day what it took me at least a month to do? Do you have any special practice methods?

I mean, I'm using savestates and all, and practicing as efficiently as I can, but it took me at least 3 days to learn each stage past 1-4. :oops: If it's not some sort of trade secret, I'd like to know how I can practice quicker.
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Personally I just savestated through the game until I managed to find a consistent method to NMNB everything in the first loop, barring the first 1-7 midboss which I wrote off as an autobomb. After finding a concrete method for everything/learning all the attack sequences like that, it didn't take too long to get a run with few enough mistakes to clear the game (bombs were used without reserve on every occasion I panicked in some respect). Simply trying to 'dodge through' things without making a concrete method you can follow every time is hugely inefficient in a Psikyo game and will likely lead to deaths especially if you have to clear 5 or 6 stages beforehand in a real run; you want something you can count on every time.
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Sapz wrote:Personally I just savestated through the game until I managed to find a consistent method to NMNB everything in the first loop, barring the first 1-7 midboss which I wrote off as an autobomb. After finding a concrete method for everything/learning all the attack sequences like that, it didn't take too long to get a run with few enough mistakes to clear the game (bombs were used without reserve on every occasion I panicked in some respect). Simply trying to 'dodge through' things without making a concrete method you can follow every time is hugely inefficient in a Psikyo game and will likely lead to deaths especially if you have to clear 5 or 6 stages beforehand in a real run; you want something you can count on every time.
First 1-7 midboss ain't an autobomb. I like to handle it by dragonshooting it as it appears, slipping through the left side of the aimed pattern, moving to the right, and dragonshooting it with a charge shot as it moves left. If you follow it too far left though, it'll trap you. Easier than it looks when you consider that the bugs only fire when you're in front of them. Still makes me slip up a lot though.

What more scares me is that you found a way to NMNB the first loop in one day. How? The eyes always make me drop a bomb, and sometimes the 1-5 midboss.

On topic, 1-bombed the Stage 6 boss, and I can see doing it more often. The key is to move up when it does the double lasers to the right, and stay close to the center before it fires off the radials. Then I bomb the tech attack and I'm done.
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

I managed to NMNB every attack individually, but it wasn't anything particularly consistent overall; I was dropping bombs left and right, haha. As long as you have at least a basic method in mind however, you'll either follow the method and manage it or mess it up and be able to tell if it goes wrong (easier than in most Psikyo games because of the slower speed/density of the attacks overall) and bomb it before it becomes a major problem. You get a huge amount of bombs, so using them often was a large part of success here for me. I'm not an expert in the game or anything, but it worked well for an STGT-style quick and dirty learned clear. :) Of course, as you keep practicing the methods, you'll mess them up less; if you've figured out the first 1-7 midboss which I thought was the hardest part of the first loop, I'm sure you'll NMNB it sometime once it all clicks together.

EDIT: I also found that trying to score excessively lead to a pretty large drop in consistency, so playing largely for pure survival helped here too.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

I can handle it all, but there'd be a huge amount of stress if I ever got close to perfect. One of my failed 1cc's got past the 1-6 boss with all lives and 3 bombs, and I immediately died twice to the laser traps, and then to the second midboss. :lol: And then there's me getting careless on the easier parts, like not destroying a bomb in Sand and flying over it just as it goes off, you get the deal.

Out of interest, what's your preferred stage order?
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Ideally, I'd say water and plant stages first, since I thought they were the hardest as 1-4s. You should practice all of them as 4th stages and no miss them consistently, though - anything other than that will be easy for you afterwards, pretty much a warmup. I'd say 1-5 was harder than any of them as fourth stages for sure, so it wasn't much of an issue beyond learning how the technical bonuses change.

The stress is a factor for sure, but it's all a matter of keeping at it; I got at least 5-6 runs where I missed on one of the 1-8 boss' last two forms (with many bombs in stock, naturally) in S99 before getting the no miss, let alone NMNB, but it'll happen for sure if you keep doing runs regularly.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

I restart the ROM or savestate at the character select screen so I get the same order every time. It's legit, and it cuts down on the stress.

If that's an unfair advantage, please remove my scores from the tables :P But of course, you yourself used that tactic in your S1999 superplay, so I think it's a moot point.
shadowbringer

Post by shadowbringer »

shadowbringer // 584,800 // Sonia // 1-5

shmupmame 3.0b input

wanted to see how far I could go with Sonia, got help from SYO's video, but still am not used with savestate practicing :p (I'm afraid of factors such as rank and/or ideal score making me practice different scenarios)
plus I don't have a good enough memory and didn't want to treat this game like a STGT game, so I took it easy, plus I didn't want to use anyone else not named Sonia, because she's pretty :D

Chest locations and tech bonuses were surprisingly fun
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Very nice! Once you get to the extend, I foresee another jump in scores.

Also, has everyone else stopped progressing in the loop? Are you just trying to clear in one day and give up, or is anyone still trying to do a scorerun? Looks like Sapz has moved on, but no worries - looks like my next goal is to beat ZengarZombolt.
Naut

Post by Naut »

Erppo wrote:the "Learn DB in a day" challenge
:lol:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

RNGmaster wrote:looks like my next goal is to beat ZengarZombolt.
And I am going to 2-ALL Dimahoo
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Have fun with that. I can easily beat him score-wise with a few refinements, but rivaling his progression in the loop will be... difficult. If I can iron out 3 tough sections in 2-1, it might be more doable though.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I think that his first loop score isn't THAT high because he hasn't really bothered refining it yet

zengar scares me and he should scare you too
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

His second loop performance scares me more. Of course, Rob & Sonia are more suited to picking off popcorns than Quaid, but still, Jesus Christ, Stage 2-4 already? Guy's scary.

I think he actually gets the same loop score that I do, though. 1.17 mil or thereabouts.

I could squeeze a lot more out of Stage 3 and 4, and I've actually decided to make a formal bomb distribution chart, so his current score is very doable for me.
Psikyo_Ball

Post by Psikyo_Ball »

shadowbringer wrote:

wanted to see how far I could go with Sonia, got help from SYO's video, but still am not used with savestate practicing :p (I'm afraid of factors such as rank and/or ideal score making me practice different scenarios)
plus I don't have a good enough memory and didn't want to treat this game like a STGT game, so I took it easy, plus I didn't want to use anyone else not named Sonia, because she's pretty :D

Chest locations and tech bonuses were surprisingly fun
Here is a Sonia replay, saucykobold found it

http://page.freett.com/acrstore/index.htm

i think the best formation ofor sonia is Sand-woods-water-air because sonia can milk all the bombs on sand boss. Is hard on 1-2 and is impossible in 1-3 or 1-4 without bombs. 1-2 woods woods are great for milk the boss, you can kill the normal enemies on the boss with 2 dragon hit and get 15 or 20 k easily. I try to do a video with this formation for show a first loop play with 1.2 M . Archer (player on the replay) is than better, he do 1.3 M but my 1-5 and 1-6 stages are a little bad
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I haven't looked at the thread in a couple weeks, and there is more than a page of new scores? Why? Not that I'm complaining.

I don't know when I'll get around to updating, but it will happen eventually. Apologies in advance for the delay, but work is keeping me extra busy at the moment.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Well, I told Sapz he ought to compete with me, he called in his Touhou Is Harder buddies, and the rest is history. I got dragged in because I had to beat Banana.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

RNGmaster wrote:Well, I told Sapz he ought to compete with me, he called in his Touhou Is Harder buddies,
No he didn't.
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

RNGmaster wrote:Well, I told Sapz he ought to compete with me, he called in his Touhou Is Harder buddies, and the rest is history. I got dragged in because I had to beat Banana.
Try to add in some of 'Touhou is TOO EASY', 'Jerry Ellis' and 'TCFC' elite guards as additional toppings in it. Looks like we've got ourselves a scoreboard pandemonium.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!