Bootleg Psikyo boards?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
medic

Bootleg Psikyo boards?

Post by medic »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Pisikyo-GUNBIRD-arca ... dZViewItem

I hope this isn't considered an advertisement, but this guy is selling 5 Gunbird boards on eBay. Judging from the PCB picture he included (and maybe that's just a random photo), the boards are bootlegs. Anyone else have an opinion on this? He also sells those 39-in-1 boards which is kinda a sure sign of it.

Also, he refers to them as Pisikyo

Even if they were bootlegs though, think it's worth getting at that price? Anyone have experience with bootlegs in general and can comment on the quality of them?
dpful

Post by dpful »

I try and avoid bootlegs for these reasons.
1. they often have different power requirements (needing the 5v up real high to work properly- mostly in older bootlegs)
2. those ones are missing the slot in the jamma connector, so none of my harnesses would fit on without cutting a new slot
3. not often, but sometimes (in my experience), they don't contain the full game. The last one I bought like that was a strikers 1999, and it was missing TONS of graphics and flickered and everything!
4. those look like they've got some of the square processor chips in sockets, rather than soldered on. That can't be good.

I've never had problems with "chip" bootlegs, like CPS 1 or 2 and neo geo, where it's usually new chips on the old hardware, and I actually don't mind having those.
I avoid entirely bootlegged boards like the plague.
system11

Post by system11 »

Bootlegs are frequently unreliable, frequently lower quality, and without question worth significantly less. I used to throw them away or harvest them for cheap parts.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
PC Engine Fan X!

A genuine Psikyo produced Gunbird PCB's the one to own...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For medic,

My recommendation to go with a genuine Psikyo produced Gunbird PCB. It will say "Made in Japan" + have Psikyo copyright (c) 1994 signage printed on the trailing edge of the PCB as well. Of course, I've got the revised version of USA Bios Gunbird that was produced in May 1995 and even has the AAMA hologram sticker on the backside of my Gunbird PCB (to show that it was, indeed, destined for the USA arcade market). FYI, Jaleco was the one who distributed the Psikyo produced Gunbird PCB for the USA arcades. As a bonus, it even came together with the USA Gunbird instruction manual, two mini direction cards + full sized USA version Gunbird marquee sans the original factory Psikyo cardboard box (then it would've, indeed, been a complete USA Bios Gunbird PCB boxed set). ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~