RF tate through a modulator or s-video/component in yoko

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
hikarutilmitt

RF tate through a modulator or s-video/component in yoko

Post by hikarutilmitt »

If you HAD to choose (so no smarmy "buy another TV" or "they both suck comments, please :P) would you rather run a shooter in tate through an s-video connection being modulated down to RF for a 21" TV or run it yoko through a 40" HDTV (36" for the 4:3 section) with s-video or component?

Just wondering,c ause I know what I
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: RF tate through a modulator or s-video/component in yoko

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

hikarutilmitt wrote:If you HAD to choose (so no smarmy "buy another TV" or "they both suck comments, please :P) would you rather run a shooter in tate through an s-video connection being modulated down to RF for a 21" TV or run it yoko through a 40" HDTV (36" for the 4:3 section) with s-video or component?

Just wondering,c ause I know what I
For hikarutilmitt,

I assume that you're using a Supergun setup, right? And that some arcade PCBs, namely the Seibu Kaihatsu PCB ones, are notorious for not being stable when hooked to an NTSC type of TV monitor. An analog RGB monitor such as an Amiga Commodore monitor would solve your problems quite easily as it is presented in true low resolution at 15 kHz sync rate and needs only five signals: R, G, B, Sync, & lastly Ground coming from the Supergun.

If you were to down-convert S-Video to Composite Video and hook that up to an RF convertor, the resulting signal will not be as good if TV monitor could accept S-Video signal directly via S-Video input. (In the case of playing the Seibu Kaihatsu arcade PCBs like the SP1 type of games or even the original Raiden II PCB, the signal won't be stable on such NTSC monitor unless it's multi-sync variety type of monitor.) I've played the SP1 version of Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. on a 1989 produced Tenika 19" TV monitor which had a single RF input but would display Seibu Kaihatsu games properly without the dreaded scrolling screen issues.

I had to downconvert the S-Video signal from the Supergun to Composite Video using a convertor plug from Radio Shack, downconvert the composite video signal into an RF convertor box to RF output to the Tenika TV monitor to properly play the SP1 Viper Phase 1 U.S.A. arcade shmup in true Tate mode. ^_~

Another solution to this Seibu Kaihatsu screen scrolling problem is use the XRGB-2 upscan convertor in conjunction with a VGA/SVGA PC monitor as it has built-in support for the Seibu Kaihatsu arcade PCBs.

Of course if your Supergun can output in Component Video, then that would be the best setup for yoko-based shmups. As component video is superior to S-Video anyways.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

Ehhhhh, no. I'm not using PCBs, though I wish I could cause I'd have one for Batrider, Garegga and Bakraid, at least.

I'm talking consoles, actually. Not Supergun or anything, just regular old TV and PS2/Saturn stuff. It's more because I have a spare 20" TV that I don't really use and it only accept RF input, though I have an auo-switching RF modulator/switchbox that I use to output to it for playing stuff (used to use it for PC tate, as well) and I actually rather like it. Though the HDTV has the better connection and STILL a bigger screen, the tate TV seems to make it easier to play some stuff due to not having the image scaled by the HDTV and being presented in a regular signal resolution.

I wish any of the shooters I have for PS2 had progressive scan. :(
Neon

Post by Neon »

it'd be better to skip the modulator and buy an R/F unit for your saturn, as that's one less step of conversions (it'll result in higher quality to just go straight r/f, in other words).

the hdtv's going to scale the games, but it'll look better for the filtered ps2 stuff, I think.

I feel bad knowing all this shit with my scores being so terrible, but no time for games lately :lol: