Shmup Idea

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Dale

Shmup Idea

Post by Dale »

I have a game idea I'd like to share.

Okay picture a manic gunsmoke with 3-D graphics on a 2-D playing field. With bullet Hells that have multiple heights of attack,And your charcter can Duck roll crouch move his arms to dodge trying to make sure no part of him is hit.This game would be constant scrolling with other men on foot to attack. Also melee attacks would be in full use grabbing other guy's gun's and using martial arts kills, while still keeping the playing area flat with a top down view. What I picture is a basic 2-D shmup formula that takes full advantage of 3-D technolgy and creates new more complex way's to deal with bullet hell's.

I imagine the controls for this would be very complex but with a little creativity it could be done.

This game would have hardcore and causual appeal not just to simplisity but the presentation you could include in something like this could be great as well.

This is just an idea, I'm curios about what you guy's think about it. Any suggestions to make it better?

I have two great puzzle game ideas I'm going to share later also.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I've thought about multiple layers but you'd have to use a specific colored bullet for each layer to indicate what layer it is on. Otherwise the viewpoint thing is gonna get ya.

I'd hate to limit a bullet to 2 colors.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I was thinking about using three diffrent heights(Head Torso Legs) and three colers and maybe a fourth coler that can hit you at any point.

Also the atacks the player does could be difrent in each hand he could have machine gun in one hand mowing down large groups then a another gun focusing on another larger tougher enemy.
1up

Post by 1up »

I see a lot of buttons that have to be used,

1. attack
2. melee
3. bomb?
4. crouch
5. jumps
6. dodge left
7. dodge right

and an 8 way stick

im trying to think of something smart to cut down the buttons used but im too tired.

Great idea though I can totally picture it
Dale

Post by Dale »

How about an arcade stick with 3 buttons on top the two buttons on the side for the dodge left and dodge Right then a bigger button in the middle for jump then just normal arcade buttons for everything else.

Also note in this game you'd need a fast moving guy to weave across the screen at the same speed as an average manic shmup ship.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I just got a whole bunch of new idea's

Let's look at the crouch feature let's say you hold down crouch and your guy crouches then you gently push a direction then he will walk lower in that direction now if you push all the way down on the stick backwards he will go down on his back and aim his gun forward,But if you push the Joystick all the way down to the left or right he will lay on which ever side you push to.Then if you push formard he'll go on his stomach and shoot forward.(Note that none of this will happen unless the crouch button is being held down)

Know incorpating all this into the roll system you could have him roll lower to the ground as oppose to having him do higher roll standing leaving his legs exposed to high bullets and his head to low bullets, rolling lower You could have no exposure to high attacks but extra exposure to middle bullets and low bullets,Also you could have him roll on the ground only the width of his body in distance leaving him only exposed to low attacks.

Now incorparating this all into his main shooting attack you could have him aim high middle and low.As well as rolling and shooting for even more
variety.When rolling the bullets your shooting would all be in a rotating overlaping motion for High medium and low the overlaping bullet's would be diffrent for each height.(Bigger or Smaller)

Now melee attacks could be used very creativly as well a high front kick could be done if you hold down melee and press forward or you could do a punch to the gut crouching or some sort of trip lying down. This would be more advantagese then shooting at times because an enemy with a powerup you want would die closer to you making it easier to pick up the item.For example an enemy is holding something you want you could punch him in the stomach crouching the when he grabs his stomach in pain you could take it from him but if you shoot him he will fly back further away from you droping it their making it less convient to pick up.(Also a point bonus for using a melee attack's would be good also)

Know let's say for a moment your fighting a boss with destructible gun's on all three height levels you could destroy for bonus points the other features I mentioned could make this very interesting expecially when he's firing at your three height levels as well.

Also a neat idea regarding to bullet hell's you could have an unweivable layer of mid shot's to long to jump over then an area to crawl through underneath with easier bullet patterns to roll dodge down their. You could also make choices in the game on wether to deal with a hire pattern or a lower one.

Traditional manic shmup bombs would be used on all three heights at once for ease of play and flow.

Roll's could be incorperated into the bullet hell's as well.(You could have shots to fast to dogde normally that you would haft to time a roll perfectly to dodge it)
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

I think a good control scheme is one of the hardest challenges here... but if you could pull it off, could be a great game.

Bill
mice

Post by mice »

the2bears wrote: I think a good control scheme is one of the hardest challenges here... but if you could pull it off, could be a great game.
I second that.

But I think 2 heights would be sufficient.
The lower bullets should become impossible to dodge and the higher ones you could duck roll crouch to avoid.
Seeing as I struggle with ikarugas 2 type of bullets, I personally wouldn't be able to handle 3 types... :D
Edge

Post by Edge »

I really like this concept. :D

Though I agree two different heights of bullets would be better. Also the controls could maybe get too complex.

But I think I still didn't get the whole mechanic of your two different guns of the hero system. Let me tell what I thought. You mentioned aiming with the weapons so is this something the player can do?

For example you have two buttons one for each weapon. One machine gun and one fierce gun (maybe shotgun). If the player holds down one button his movement speed slows down to 1/2 and the player aims with his weapon into the direction the player pushes the stick now. If the player releases the button it will automatically aim to the up again. This should be used for both buttons. Also pushing both buttons at once close to an enemy could trigger the melee attack.

Further both weapon types could be powered up. For example if you collect a mini gun power up it will auto replace your machine gun.
Maybe with ammo? That you always have one range weapon and one fierce. Or you could also let the player decide which hand he equips one weapon to by simple the last button the player pushed while collecting a power up. The danger is the player might get confused by this.

About dodging left and right you could simply use the duck button. if hold down and the player presses the stick two times in the direction the player rolls in the direction. The same could also apply if the character is standing. Similiar to fighting game backsteps.

There are really a lot of neat ideas, but if the gameplay gets too complex it will be too hard accissble for other people. I don't think a casual gamer could handle this game, I am afraid if even I could get a hold of the controls and evade all the bullets while aiming in two different heights. Though I like the general idea a lot, I'd think if you get the game mechanics too complicated to pick up it might hurt the motivation. :)