Mag-Stiks, Suzos, JLFs, oh my!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Rastan78 wrote:Why are you guys so fixated on these millimeter measurements? To me the LS32 just has a better feel than the other Seimitsu being of sturdier components and sitting lower. They lengthened the shaft on the LS40 and LS56 which feels a little awkward IMHO. This is actually a very noticable difference (much more than 1mm) even to the naked eye.
oxtsu wrote:Oh damn...I think I see the appearance of another Recap here, sticks version Euro.
Exactly. No one wants to argue about this stuff. And yes, there is room for personal preference here. Just because you bust out calipers and break it down to millimeters doesn't make you some kind of unbiased authority figure that everyone else should listen to. There is no "best" stick.
Indeed. It is all about feel. Well...feel and precision for me. The main reason I dislike Supers, the JLF, and to an extent, Comps, for shooters is that there's a huge area of play inherent in them. Alternately, I wouldn't have anything but a Comp for a fighter. Just one of those things.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Rastan78 wrote:I might be curious to try the Mag-Stik that you guys are talking about just for the heck of it. The magnetic return to center thing looks a bit iffy, but who knows.
*shrug* It converted me. I'm not particularly fond of the magnetic centering, but finding the older T-Stik from a place that ships to America (and not only through PayPal) has been a pain in the ass. As soon as I do, I'll see if my only issue, the one regarding smoothness, is answered. Considering the short length the stick travels, I don't anticipate any great difference. Seriously, it's damn short. If I only had a way to mount the Suzo's I would compare those suckers too.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I hate to (once again) resurrect this thread, but I've not been able to find some answers I need.

Does anyone know if the bolt pattern for the Omnistick/Suzo 500/STC Universal? Does it mimic the Happ standard, or does it follow the Japanese bolt layout?

Also, is it possible to mount the stick underneath a wood panel? From the pictures I've seen, it looks to be possible. I'm not sure about that, however.

If it's not possible, would the inductive version?

What the hell, while I'm at it....anyone want to place an order for me from arcadeshop.de? ...or know of a place in the US that still has T-Stiks? I'm not inclined to pay $20 in shipping from Germany.

I swear I'll let this thread die soon.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Damocles wrote:Does anyone know if the bolt pattern for the Omnistick/Suzo 500/STC Universal? Does it mimic the Happ standard, or does it follow the Japanese bolt layout?
I looked around for you but couldn't find the answer. Try emailing Suzo, Ultimarc, or Gremlin Solutions.
Also, is it possible to mount the stick underneath a wood panel? From the pictures I've seen, it looks to be possible.
It's intended for metal panels, but some descriptions also say that the panel can be 5 to 21mm in thickness. That sounds like wood to me. :?
SephirothFF

Post by SephirothFF »

You can't mount the suzo in Japanese cabs with metal plates. The stick is good but why do they have to be such arses with mounting!
j^aws

Post by j^aws »

destructor wrote:
bloodflowers wrote:Actually I think switched sticks are far better. There's no ambiguity - it clicks, you know it's clicked, you can feel it.
You think or you test different joysticks?
I test.
'Clicks' are better than 'noclicks' in fighters/beatemups because must be click when you made special move (ex. f,f,b1), 'noclicks' are useles You don't know if you made first 'f' or second 'f' because you don't hear and feel click.
In shooter you must made smooth, very smooth and precision moves, with clicks it is impossible because switches have too long reaction.
I know no one person who say 'switches are the best' and next after try optical joystick they never use switch joystick for shooters.
I say microswitches are the best! :P

I don't have a P360, but I have a Suzo Inductive (haven't hooked it up yet) and technically they aren't that different to an analogue thumbstick... The Suzo Inductive also has an 'octagonal gate' similar to the thumbstick on the Gamecube controller...

Your above example for fighters and shooters is fine except you might want to use f,f in a shooter, i.e. fast double taps. And you don't get the same tactile feedback from non-microswitched sticks...

Also, appropriate microswitches, finely tuned actuators, springs etc, and a very small deadzone, can have awesome tactile feedback... I have a custom setup that has extremely fast engagement/ dis-engagement, i.e. very fast 'on/off'... there is an engagement 'zone' I can hold the stick to; and I get high frequency 'pings', as tactile feedback, when I pass the stick across this 'zone'... and with very light activation too...

It works extremely well with shooters and even fighters too!... Probably the best stick I've ever used. And it's microswitched! :)
"All that matters really is taste. He might like the game, he might not." - Anonymous