How's Gungriffon: Allied Strike for XBOX?...

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
dave4shmups

How's Gungriffon: Allied Strike for XBOX?...

Post by dave4shmups »

The Gamespot review of this game says that it suffers from "an overall lack of polish". :? Looks pretty darn polished to me in their videos of it!

So does anyone own this game, and if so, how is it? I always look for arcade-style mech games, rather then sim-style ones/
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I suggest you check the reviews on Gamefaqs. They are written by gamers like us, and not by a biased, overworked underpaid reviewer with a beef against a system or company.

If not for them, I would have never given D2 or Record of Lodoss War for DC a chance.

Edit: Ok. Lamefaqs doesn't have any reviews for it yet. And I doubt any of the forum members has it at the moment.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

It's safe to say from the five minutes that I put into it at my local game shop, that this is the WORST mech combat game I've ever played. Bar none. It 's got waaaay subpar graphics, awful controls, and a framerate that could cause seizures. Seriously avoid this one at all costs. If you haven't already tried it, give Mechassault a go instead. That one's pretty tops...
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

put it this way, 3 days after release I saw a copy sell for $1.00 on ebay.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Wow, okay, I think I'll stick with Gunmetal! Unless Mechassault plays arcade-style.
Farewell to hollow words
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Gungriffon on the PS2 was an acquired taste. Bad graphics, few levels, good atmosphere, good replay value. From the looks of it this one may be similar...
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

It's safe to say from the five minutes that I put into it at my local game shop, that this is the WORST mech combat game I've ever played. Bar none. It 's got waaaay subpar graphics, awful controls, and a framerate that could cause seizures. Seriously avoid this one at all costs. If you haven't already tried it, give Mechassault a go instead. That one's pretty tops...
Wow, ouch -- I for one love GG AA on Xbox. I actually prefer it to both Mech Assault titles. For one it actually feels like you are piloting something -- in Mech Assault you could easily replace the mech with anything else. What I mean by that is that it just feels to much like any other action title or a third person shooter (it could just as easily be a lone man running around with a gun as opposed to a lumbering mech). The mecha design in GG is excellent, but I guess I am sort of bias as I find Battletech mecha designs to be very blase or just plain ugly/child-like (and I am a whore for Japanese mecha designs). I actually find the graphics of GG quite pleasing as well (they are much more realistic and gritty compared to MW vision of a neon colored future with brightly colored garish armaments) and I really find the control to be spot on -- as for negative comments about the control, it really isn't that different from MW. I really think most of the negative comments stem from far to short of a play time (or just regurgitating what you read in a review) or a fanatical love of Mech Warrior =P. Maybe I am biased because on enjoyed the series on Saturn (I have not played the PS2 version, though I do own it).
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Kakizaki, if you enjoy it, then that's totally cool.

But, (and all of my comments are IMHO, of course), this game is utter crap.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Seriously, do any westerners enjoy any of the Gungriffon games? They had nothing on Virtual On arcade-wise and nothing on Mechwarrior sim-wise I thought.
Kakizaki

Post by Kakizaki »

Mechwarrior sim-wise I thought.
The MW series was sim-like on PC, but all of the console versions have been straight up action.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

How's Robotech: Invasion for the XBOX?

I just read IGN's review of Mechassault 2, and they say that the single player mode is too short and too easy. :(
Farewell to hollow words
jp

Post by jp »

*refuses to play Gungriffon without twin sticks*

And just FYI, Gungriffon 1 and 2 on the Saturn are pretty sweet, and are two of the few games to support twin sticks. :D
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

^^^ *bows before the Saturn Masta* Woot for Twinsticks. I thought there was nothing outside of VO for them.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
jp

Post by jp »

Hey Speci, just FYI, there's a ton of games on the DC that supports the twin sticks (Ikaruga, Quake III, etc.). Granted, it really only works if you can configure the controls, but its still pretty damn sweet (especially Quake III).
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Quake III for Dreamcast looks pretty sweet, except I'm a bit put off by the satanic temple part. :shock:
Farewell to hollow words