I wanna make a PC shmup again.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
mice

I wanna make a PC shmup again.

Post by mice »

Anyone have any ideas of cool settings and style?
I've been browsing conceptart.org, and although there're tons of good artists and art there, I can't get inspiration enough to start creating a game.

This is what I've come up with. But I really wanted to do a vertical one, but the alien (yes, it's an alien enemy) didn't look good from above.

And Entity isn't a good name, is it?
And 3D maybe isn't the way to go?

Any ideas? Pleeeease!
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Are you looking to do programming, or all of it yourself?

I need a programmer to work with me on my Game Maker vert. If you would be interested drop me a pm. I'm doing all the graphics, enemy and level design etc. but I need someone to help with the programming.
kemical

Post by kemical »

well you're screen inspired me, could be a cool horizontal scrollin one, and you control that alien dude and you're arms and legs are weapons but you also can power up some psy-force and blast from your brain. and you're brain blasts would stop bullets and you're arms and legs would get blown off/reduced in size when colliding with bullets, until you are just a floating head thing. it would need cool physics action going on. :?

*edit* I guess it would be some weird ass hybrid, but it could be fun.
kinda like lemmings + shmup, you need to be shooting everything coming at you, and also destroying obstacles since it would be forced walking and scrolling.

but your "ship" (the character's brain/head) would still move around the screen like a regular shmup, you're character would just crouch and stretch and stuff to manuever, like some crazy lumbering lanky giant. it would look like some crazy tribal dancer, and your feet and arms would be smashing the scenery etc. (all physics/ragdoll controlled, based on your head/brain movement.(

man. now I want to make a proof of concept. :lol:
mice

Post by mice »

cig, just PMed you.
kemical wrote:but your "ship" (the character's brain/head) would still move around the screen like a regular shmup
Yeah, would be really cool!
Could work if the guy were as tall as the screen to start with, so all he had to do was to duck to get lower. If he wasn't as tall as the screen, he'd have to jump...how would you solve that if you wanted to be at the top all the time?
This actually would be worth some thinking, could be sooo cool, if properly thought through.

edit: Read your post again and you had the answer to it, the stretching part...elongated neck, for instance...I feel the inspiration coming on... :D