WIP: First screenies of my new side-scrolling shooter

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Creen

WIP: First screenies of my new side-scrolling shooter

Post by Creen »

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Hi,

Here are some screenshots of my new shooter. It's the first one I've made unless Blastocyst counts http://13h.org/blastocyst.zip . It's a kind of hybrid of 2D and 3D, as the enemy attack waves can emerge from the back and foreground but the player's ship moves in a fixed plane. My plan so far is to complete this level in a kind of alien city rooftop environment with a boss at the end, but if I can complete that without giving up then I might do an organic forest level or one where you go underwater for some sections... anyway, I'm hoping if I post screenshots of it here I'll actually end up finishing it.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

That looks fascinating. The way it's designed sounds a bit like Xyanide, perhaps.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
mice

Post by mice »

Background looks really cool!
Can't say about the ships and stuff though, can hardly see them.

Hope to see a demo soon.
rawhed

Post by rawhed »

hey 13h.org :)
Was just browsing for some new vertical shooters and found you - small world!

the new game looks awesome, but the pictures are very blurry - weird...censorship?

can't wait for a demo either

andrew
Creen

Post by Creen »

Hi Andrew,

Yeah - small world, isn't it?!

Erm, I'm afraid the game really is that blurry! I might have to tone it down a bit - I've got this tinted swap effect thing going on - I quite like it - it gives the fast moving things a kind of motion blur, and applies a kind of heat haze for the fire and sun particle effects. Most of these screenshots are clouded by smoke as well, which doesn't help... It's a bit clearer when it's moving. I'm doing collision detection at the moment. I'm probably a couple of months off a demo.

Are you thinking of doing a shooter?

Ben
Creen

Post by Creen »

Does anyone want to try an early demo and give me some feedback?
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I want to!
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

As would I. :P
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Creen wrote:Does anyone want to try an early demo and give me some feedback?
I'd love to try it out.

Bill
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Link that sucker! :mrgreen:
Creen

Post by Creen »

Ok, here we go:

http://13h.org/seu.zip

This is a very early tech demo - there are lots of missing features, including sound, power-ups... you name it. I really can't stress enough how early this code is, but it's far enough advanced to benefit from a bit of constructive criticism.

Controls are arrow keys to move and space to shoot. Hold space down to charge weapon up.

You need DirectX 9 installed for this to run, by the way. I've tested it on at least 8 different machines so far, and it didn't work on 2 of the older ones (probably due to graphics drivers).
NoMaD

Post by NoMaD »

Pretty good for the ancient hardware I was running it on (AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz, 256MB RAM, nVidia TNT2). My only qualm is I can barely see where my standard (or even charged) shots are going, they're really too dim.
Creen

Post by Creen »

Does it look vaguely like the screenshot? I think the TNT2 might've been one of the cards I had trouble with the lighting on.
NoMaD

Post by NoMaD »

Creen wrote:Does it look vaguely like the screenshot? I think the TNT2 might've been one of the cards I had trouble with the lighting on.
It pretty much did.
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

Looks great, though it's really blurry.
What's the point in running a non-bitmapped game in sucha small resolution ?
np: Image
stuffmonger

Post by stuffmonger »

I'm not really all that fond of not being able to kill things shooting at me :p (I keep dying at the first pink spire thingy). I also agree that it's pretty blurry (reminds me that my eyes suck :p) I had no troubles running it on my system (pentium 4/ ati X1300). Hrm... I guess the blurryness might be bacause I'm viewing a 320x240 image on a 1600x1200 resolution screen. Is this game going to remain at 320x240, or is it going to evolve into a higher res game? It's a very good demo, btw.
Creen

Post by Creen »

You can try pressing F2, select 640x480 from the drop down list, then hold down Ctrl while you click OK.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I KNOW this is just a "test version".. so you probably already know about some of the stuff I'll say...I am not "complaining", just letting you know what I think about your game.

First, like everyone said, get rid of the blurryness somehow :). The game would look GORGEOUS if it wasn't so blurry.

The game run very smoothly in my Sempron 1.5 ghz with 256mb of ram and a Geforce FX 5200. Now I felt it was running a tad too slow, but maybe the game is just slow in nature indeed. (It wasn't annoying slow, just a little bit slower than common)

I didn't get to the end, though I tried a few times. I keep dying on the same spot :D

Add a health or shield meter somewhere. I never knew when I was about to die or not. Actually it would be better if the game had 1-hit kills and lives, instead of a shield and only 1 life. (I think that's how everyone prefers it). You can also make the shield work like extra lives, and then I think it will be fine.. but then I need to know HOW MANY HITS I still have in my shield :) (You probably is already working on this, as I believe it's an obvious thing... but you never know :D)

Oh, and add some way to redefine keys. I can't move diagonally while I keep space pressed. :)

Don't put situations where I can't do nothing but get shot. I saw a couple of situation where a continuous stream of shots were aimed at me, and I could do not but receive the shots up until I could kill the enemy. I think this annoys EVERY shmup player in the world. We want do dodge bullets, not collect them.

Enemies shooting from OUTSIDE the screen isn't a good idea IMO. (Unless it's a big muthafucka laser or something... and then it should come with some kind of warning I guess)

I dig the idea of enemy shooting at me from a "different plane". Dodging a shot coming from the Z dimension isn't common, and I think it was a nice thing (I could even see patterns with bullets come from above, front and sideways.. it would be hectic and very cool). Also not being able to hit that particular enemy wasn't a bad thing... but at one point he gets on front of me, and then he gets OUT of my front, and this is annoying. As soon as I am able to hit the enemy, don't make it "unhittable" again by moving it to another plane, unless this happens in some kind of pattern.

I liked how the charge beam works, getting smaller at each enemy it destroys.

I also liked how some cannons are "hidden" behind rocks in the celing, so I can't just shoot them without getting real close to them.
kemical

Post by kemical »

reminds me of the killer instinct backgrounds, except running in real time.. which is cool. I like how it looks blurry, but I found I prefer the 640x480 resolution more.
As for the gameplay, collision with the world felt kinda messy, I didn't know what I'd collide with unless I tried it. not sure if that even makes sense..

the enemies seemed to fire dead on too fast, and the player's weapon doesn't seem to have enough visual feedback or whatever when tapping the spacebar, i like how you can hold it down to fire larger blasts though
Creen

Post by Creen »

Thanks for all the feedback so far, guys - it's very helpful - I've enjoyed reading your opinions. The design of this prototype level has been very iterative, and your feedback should help me design something much better. Has anyone managed to get to the boss yet? By the way, you shouldn't _have_ to get shot, there's always a way to avoid getting hurt, either by hiding behind the scenery, drawing fire from one enemy so it shoots another, or by keeping moving so they can't get a fix on you (the enemies that aim directly at you can be quite slow to track to your direction, so provided that you keep moving they won't be able to hit you).
R_Typist

Post by R_Typist »

Hey, thanks for allowing us to beta test your work, Optimus!

Looking good so far. The blurriness was significantly less with the improved screen resolution... The level design reminds me of Descent for some reason.

I reached the boss on my third attempt (I suck)... though I haven't beatten it yet, I think it's a swell fight. Perhaps it'd be cool if you could blow up some of the appendages (the three prongs), and have energy pulses spraw out of the shattered pipes. Make it a requirement to destroy all three... just an idea, and having the limbs interactive with the shots would not be easy to implement (assuming your 3D model has is broken down into limbs).
Fellow Shmuppers:
"Come... join us... .... be a xenophile."
R_Typist

Post by R_Typist »

Haha! The boss is dead!
Fellow Shmuppers:
"Come... join us... .... be a xenophile."