How durable is a PS2 game?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Diabollokus

How durable is a PS2 game?

Post by Diabollokus »

Strange question yes. but

Got home this weekend, a PS2 game I bought off ebay in supposedly mint condition has been delivered severely scratched, I couldn't have done a better job with a brillo pad.

What are the odds it'll still work? I can't test it until sunday.. Wanted to give negative feedback now.
Vidi Vici Veni
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

It may work, it depends on how deep the scratches are, but I'd give negative feedback regardless. Mint does not equal scratched to death.
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

TalkingOctopus wrote:It may work, it depends on how deep the scratches are, but I'd give negative feedback regardless. Mint does not equal scratched to death.
Agreed. Mint = brand new, never been opened.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Mint does'nt mean unopened, it just means as new, like it was just opened.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
raiden

Post by raiden »

if the game does not work, you might give toothpaste a try. Sounds weird, but works surprisingly well - because toothpaste contains tiny crystals to polish teeth with, it also works on scratched CDs/DVDs. Apply a small amount of toothpaste (like 0,2") and rub inward to outward or vice versa, but not in circles with a very smooth cotton cloth. Rub gently, but continue to do so until no toothpaste is visible any longer (this will take some time) and the CD is shining again. You´ll still see the scratches, but their edges will have been smoothed, and that increases the chance the laser can read the data.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

The disc is metal gear solid 3.

Seller maintains he tested it, and that its in USED mint condition because it works........ the manual is falling apart but heard about that issue. Fukkit, if it works I'll give positive.

I'll maybe try the old toothpaste trick if it works, my cd repair kit seems to have a 50% success rate worked on soul caibur but not gigawing, so I'll use that as a last resort.
Vidi Vici Veni
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Hey Raiden

Your toothpaste trick worked. Disc wouldn't play past start up screen. took several rub downs and some fairy liquid to take it off, but it worked.

Games been played 3 hours straight, left neutral feedback.

Cheers.
Vidi Vici Veni
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Just because it boots up does not mean you will be able to complete the game without any problems.

Run it through a PC or something, do a copy of it to your hard drive and see if it gives errors.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Thats a good idea man, Will give it a shot.
Vidi Vici Veni