How to connect MGCD dreamcast to hi-res monitor???

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
danyrx

How to connect MGCD dreamcast to hi-res monitor???

Post by danyrx »

I need a help; i buy one MGCD-B for dreamcast and i have a
Naomi Universal Cabinet with 31khz monitor.
Is it possible to connect to this monitor and ,if it is possible,
what it is necessary to do??.

Please Help!!

Excuse me for my poor english.

Thank You.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Do a search for "mgcd" on the forum here for more threads on this topic. But in short, I was able to use the MGCD along with a DC-VGA box at the same time, and plug my tri-res Windy2 monitor into the DC-VGA box to get hires while everything else is going through the jamma connector.

But someone else on the board here, had a problem doing this (could be the MGCD version) and had to "split" the video signal to the MGCD and a VGA box to make it work.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Dave_K. wrote:Do a search for "mgcd" on the forum here for more threads on this topic. But in short, I was able to use the MGCD along with a DC-VGA box at the same time, and plug my tri-res Windy2 monitor into the DC-VGA box to get hires while everything else is going through the jamma connector.

But someone else on the board here, had a problem doing this (could be the MGCD version) and had to "split" the video signal to the MGCD and a VGA box to make it work.
That was me. I actually only had to split a sync signal to the MGCD. I'm not sure if it needs both v and h sync, or just one of them. Luckily my setup allowed me to pull comp sync easily. I think it would be rather annoying otherwise.

I'm still hoping Andy@ultimarc figures out what causes his PS2 adapters to not work with PS2->DC boxes. I'd rather use that if I can find a lag-free combo.
japtor

Post by japtor »

arent naomi cabs jvs? and would they have a vga input if thats the case? just wondering if you could get a vga box and plug in the vga and audio normally, then wire up the controls directly to the panel (or fingerboard or whatever way) instead of using the mgcd at all.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

japtor wrote:arent naomi cabs jvs? and would they have a vga input if thats the case? just wondering if you could get a vga box and plug in the vga and audio normally, then wire up the controls directly to the panel (or fingerboard or whatever way) instead of using the mgcd at all.
Yes, JVS spec is standard L/R RCA jack for audio, and DB15 VGA connector for video. I use the DC-VGA box to route both the video and audio to my JVS input on the Windy2. But the controls still need to be routed through a Jamma I/O converter with MGCD.