Supergun hell part II

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Neon

Supergun hell part II

Post by Neon »

Got the monitor with vertical hold. I was able to get the image somewhat stable, viewable although far from perfect. Sometimes. I had best results when putting the SG on it's side. The fan also seemed to speed up when I opened the lid (it's made by Matt, housed in a floppy disc case). I can't imagine why. It also resets the PCB when I do that. The game will reset at random.

Seems like a power supply issue, with the resetting. No? Or maybe there's a loose wire?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Yeah, with the resetting, there is definately something wrong with the power supply. Can you measure the +5 and +12 lines while batrider is plugged in?

Aslo can you snap a pic of the screen if its still not exactly sync'd?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I would check all the grounds, check for frayed wire on the harness.. Since your getting a sync issue, pay special attention to that.

If your getting different results from turning the SG, especially the fan, it sounds more like something physically touching to me (that shouldn't be).
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
raiden

Post by raiden »

either the power supply isn´t strong enough (not probable with Batrider, though), or a contact is loose. Most often it´s the Jamma connector. Have you tried cleaning thoroughly with 100% alcohol? Of course, you need to be careful not to rub away the circuit print, so something gentle like cotton buds is preferable. If the supergun has been used extensively before (meaning its Jamma connector isn´t new anymore), another possibility would be the springs "gripping" the PCB have loosened. This can sometimes be remedied by using a tiny screwdriver to bend them back slightly toward the middle. But if the connector is VERY used, that doesn´t work too great either, and the best procedure in that case is replacing the connector.
You might also want to check out the inside of the supergun for loose contacts or cold solder points. The former can happen during transportation, the latter is very hard to spot. If nothing else works, you can try to apply a soldering iron shortly (1-2 seconds) to each solder point to have the solder melt again briefly, this usually repairs a cold solder spot.