Powered AV Selector Switches

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FRO

Powered AV Selector Switches

Post by FRO »

I've been looking at getting a powered selector switch for my AV components (namely my game systems) so I can upgrade several older consoles to use S-Video or composite. My eventual ideal layout will include 3 powered switches, 1 dedicated for Component video, 1 for S-Video, & 1 for Composite video. My question is, what has been the experience here with those things? Has anyone else purchased them & what do they think? I really want to get one dedicated for each technology, but most of them I look at only have 3 composite inputs or 3 S-Video inputs but not inputs all across the board.

I looked at this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 4000347511
but it seems to only have 3 component inputs, so that's not really an option.

I also looked at this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0980621234
and according to the mfg website, it has 7 inputs (though I don't see 7, I see 6 & 1 output).

My question is, before I drop $100+ into a product like this, I'd like to get some feedback from people who have purchased them. Has anyone else seen a product that has 8 inputs & 1 output (with all necessary types, i.e. Composite, S-Video & Component - I'm not as concerned with Ethernet)? I've Googled for "av selector" & "universal selector" but have come up with mostly hits for the 2 mentioned above, as well as for some smaller RCA & Intec units. Any help would be appreciated.
FRO

Post by FRO »

With a little searching, I also found this, though it doesn't quite match up to what I need:

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/CY-SAVS-BK.html
FRO

Post by FRO »

With a bit more research, I found this link:
http://aroganworld.blogspot.com/2006/02 ... tches.html

This guy has done his homework - he seems to like the Joytech 240C, though it only has 6 component inputs (& the output is on the front, which kind of defeats the purpose of hiding the cable mess).
FRO

Post by FRO »

Okay, unless someone else has any suggestions, I think after all the research I'm going to pick the Joytech 240C. Granted, only 6 Component inputs, so if I need/want more than that, I'll have to daisy-chain 2 of them together :D
Last edited by FRO on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The only one i've used is the pelican AV pro selector.

Its $100 in Best buy and has 6 component video inputs (supports all resolutions) with svideo and composite on every input as well. Whats also great about it is that the input buttons can be switched out. The package includes alternative buttons for Genesis, N64, SNES things like that. The origonal buttons just snap out and are completely interchangeable.

Which I think is a nice touch. There is no loss of quality. Highly recommended.

This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

I use a Sony SB-V40S swticher box for S-Video...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I have a 20" Sony TV monitor with built-in single S-Video input and use an optional Sony brand AV switcher box "SB-V40S" to switch from any of the four input switches...unfortunately, it's the "unpowered" version -- so there may be a bit of signal loss with that design. I paid $60.00 for it from Best Buy when they used to carry it back in the day (the late 1990's).

The S-Video equipped Sony brand AV Switcher box that I have does a good job for what it does. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~