Sega Genesis Model 1 w/ Sega CD questions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FRO

Sega Genesis Model 1 w/ Sega CD questions

Post by FRO »

I have a Model 1 Sega Genesis as well as a Sega CD unit. I've read about using a "mixing cable" from the Genesis' headphone jack to the back of the Sega CD (which I see has a "mixing" port). There are red & white RCA audio jacks on the back of the Sega CD. My question is, if I hooked up the "mixing cable" between the units, connected a Genesis Model 1 AV cable, hooked up just the video from it & a red/white RCA audio cable from the Sega CD to my TV, would that provide audio for both Genesis & Sega CD games? I haven't tried it yet, but I thought before I go to the trouble I'd see if anyone here has tried it & found out what happens. Thanks!
it290

Post by it290 »

Yep, that's how it works. Make sure you turn up the volume on the headphone jack -- the manual suggests 50% volume but I find it usually sounds more balanced at 60-70%. Also, if you're not using the original 'mixing' cable, make sure you get one that is stereo, as a lot of these headphone-headphone cables are actually intended for mono microphones.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Thanks for the info! My RF adapter for my Genesis (original one I bought roughly 13-15 years ago) has almost bit the dust & the quality is so poor right now it's hardly worth using. Now I can buy an AV cable & get the stereo sound I want w/o upgrading to a Genesis 2!