XOP Ultra and XOP Black Ultra thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Despatche

Re: XOP, a 2D shooter

Post by Despatche »

Oh, that's neat. I just remembered it was a remix of another song in the game anyway. And yeah, I just saw the bundle with the included soundtracks. Will definitely have to send you a $5-er, hopefully real soon. Always felt all your games look great, really.

Cool, thanks rancor! Maybe he has the original floating around somewhere.

I totally forgot about XOP 2010. I was thinking of the old old old original... I remember you releasing it as freeware sometime in 2006 or 2007 (that's how this thread started!). Though of course I'm interested in 2010 now!
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Despatche wrote:soundtracks
You said the secret word! kekekekeke :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

'Sup?
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

What's that all about?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Just bought the games and I'm running in a single problem in all of them. Everytime I go fullscreen, no matter what mode,the colors get messed up like a windows 95 game run by a current gen PC.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Unfortunately you'll need to use a workaround. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 47#p853147

Anyway I'm re-doing all of the non-pixel art in the original XOP to be pixel art. So it's going to take awhile, because there's literally a ton of art to go through, but I think the end result will be worth it.
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Udderdude wrote:Unfortunately you'll need to use a workaround. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 47#p853147

Anyway I'm re-doing all of the non-pixel art in the original XOP to be pixel art. So it's going to take awhile, because there's literally a ton of art to go through, but I think the end result will be worth it.
Same thing as Diablo 1 and Road Rash, thanks!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Picture looks good. Lot of work for graphical update indeed, though.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah, half the game's art is already pixel art, but on the other hand, it has more than twice as much art as your average game .. D:

Stage 3 midboss outline!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah, I removed it. If you want, I can stick it on Mediafire or something.

Moar bosses
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

kane wrote:If I remember correctly, the very first xop bundle installer had the ost as well. Why is that removed now?
Probably because it was a cool feature. Udderdude likes to remove cool features.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

You're so grumpy. :3
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Is it possible to continue in XOP (didn't play black yet)?
And, about uploading the OST, please do!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Nope, no continues. If you want to see each stage w/o playing through normally, you can use Score Attack.

Here's the music! https://www.mediafire.com/?jdds24yt4otoboa
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

Glad to see this thing still getting updates, and thx for the music. =)

I keep thinking the song for Origin would have fit right in with the Hotline Miami soundtrack.
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Sorry to necrodump.

It seems that the extra options (slowdown/music display) do not save after exiting the game.
What is the extend score for each game?

Thanks in advance!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I updated the game awhile ago with the ability to save the extra settings .. try downloading it again.

XOP Black Ultra's extend score varies by difficulty.

Medium = 20000000, 40000000
Advanced = 25000000, 50000000
Expert = 30000000, 60000000
Master = 35000000, 70000000

In XOP Ultra you get an extend automatically for clearing the first and third stage.
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

Hey I'm just reinstalling the XOP bundle from your site after a reformat and I'm noticing that the XOP Black Ultra Special version isn't in there... has this been discontinued? I have a backup copy of it so no worries abut being able to still play it, just curious. Also, sorry to hear about all this game theft drama I'm just hearing about in that other thread. Thanks again and good luck.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Yeah I got tired of maintaining so many versions of it. Sorry.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

The Special Version sounded quite interesting. Wish it was on the site so I could try it.
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

That's okay, I still have it and am not even good enough at XOP to play it. =O
Udderdude

ZOP, a 2D shooter

Post by Udderdude »

Due to massive amounts of fail revolving around current events, involving a certian idiot attempting to steal my life's work and identity behind my back, I'm renaming the game to ZOP and requesting all older versions of the game be destroyed via orbital bombardment. You have 10 days to delete all copies, or you will be annihilated. You have been warned.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Thanks. It's not every day we get a shmup with a great plot.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Jeneki wrote:Thanks. It's not every day we get a shmup with a great plot.
Haha, really loving this post.
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

I'm running both on a Windows 8.1 and they're stuttering a lot. It's especially on the scrolling lines from the weapons selection menu. I tried all compatibility settings, messed around with the graphic card configuration, nothing.
Any clues on how to fix it?

Thanks!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Sorry .. I don't even have a Windows 8.1 box to test on. I'll see if I can get my hands on one to try it out on later. Did you try fullscreen mode also?

But yeah, let's face it .. XOP was originally written way back in 2002, and while I have been updating it along with Allegro and the other libraries it uses over the years, compatibility problems are inevitable and probably unsolveable w/o some serious work at this point. Maybe completely unsolveable if it's some low level problem with the way Allegro works.
kevinmaccioly

Post by kevinmaccioly »

Udderdude wrote:Sorry .. I don't even have a Windows 8.1 box to test on. I'll see if I can get my hands on one to try it out on later. Did you try fullscreen mode also?

But yeah, let's face it .. XOP was originally written way back in 2002, and while I have been updating it along with Allegro and the other libraries it uses over the years, compatibility problems are inevitable and probably unsolveable w/o some serious work at this point. Maybe completely unsolveable if it's some low level problem with the way Allegro works.
It seems everything is stuttering here: Youtube, new games, videos. Anything that isn't the desktop. But thanks anyway.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

XOP runs perfect in WINE, as far as I can tell. If you have a linux or mac box sitting around, you might want to try to play it that way.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

kevinmaccioly wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Sorry .. I don't even have a Windows 8.1 box to test on. I'll see if I can get my hands on one to try it out on later. Did you try fullscreen mode also?

It seems everything is stuttering here: Youtube, new games, videos. Anything that isn't the desktop. But thanks anyway.
That's good to know. Maybe. :lol:
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Try killing explorer.exe and then running it. Works for me when the game acts spotty under Windows 7, might be the same or relevant strain of issue.